Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,319 members, 7,780,786 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:09 PM

The Word For Today - Religion (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word For Today (30126 Views)

Lifeway Christian Center: The Word For Today! Thursday, 12/10/2017 / Lifeway Christian Centre: The Word For Today! Tuesday, 26/09/2017 / The Word For Today, Tuesday, 29th August, 2017. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:23am On Jun 25, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

WHY STUDY THE BIBLE 1

Thursday, 25th June, 2020

'Like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the Word.' 1 Peter 2:2 NAS

Daily Bible study is essential to your spiritual growth.

Professor Howard Hendricks writes: 'When our kids were youngsters growing up, we set up a growth chart on the back of a closet door. As they grew, they begged us to measure how tall they'd gotten and record it on the chart. It didn't matter how small the increments were, they bounced up and down with excitement to see their progress. One time after I measured one of my daughters, she asked me the sort of question you wish kids wouldn't ask: "Daddy, why do big people stop growing?" How could I explain that big people don't stop growing - we just grow in a different direction? I don't know what I told her, but to this day the Lord is still asking me, "Hendricks, are you growing old, or are you growing up?" How about you? How long have you been a Christian? Nine months? Thirty-nine years? The real issue is how much have you grown up? Step up to God's growth chart and measure your progress. That's what the apostle Peter meant when he wrote, "Like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the Word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation." Just as a baby grabs for the bottle, you grab for the Bible. The baby has to have milk to sustain its life physically; and you have to have the Scriptures to sustain your life spiritually. So the first reason for studying the Scriptures is that it's a means of spiritual growth. It is God's primary tool to develop you as an individual.'

Soulfood: Hosea 11-14, Luke 2:34-40, Ps 21, Pro 14:17-20.

Courtesy: GSAF, RHEMA

2 Likes

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:13am On Jun 26, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

WHY STUDY THE BIBLE 2

Friday, 26th June, 2020

'You have become dull of hearing.' Hebrews 5:11 NAS

Paul writes: 'You have become dull of hearing...by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles...you have come to need milk and not solid food. For everyone who partakes only of milk...is an infant. But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil' (Hebrews 5:11-14 NAS).

The key word in this passage is time. The people to whom these words were written had a learning disability: 'You have become dull of hearing,' meaning you are slow to learn. By the time you ought to be entering university, you've got to go back to primary school and learn your alphabet all over again. By the time you should be communicating the truth as teachers, you need to have someone communicate the truth to you. Note the phrase 'solid food is for the mature'. Who are the mature? You're mature if you've trained yourself through constant use of Scripture. The mark of spiritual maturity isn't how much you learn, it's how much you put into practice.

In the spiritual realm, the opposite of ignorance isn't knowledge, but obedience. Obeying the Scriptures is the key to spiritual maturity. In the long term, you retain about 10 per cent of what you hear, 50 per cent of what you see, and 90 per cent of what you do. So: 'Don't just listen to God's Word...do what He says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves...if you do what it says...God will bless you for doing it' (James 1:22-25 NLT).

Soulfood: Jer 1-3, Luke 2:41-52, Ps 59:1-8, Pro 14:21-22.

Credits: GSAF, RHEMA

2 Likes

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 10:20am On Jun 27, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

WHY STUDY THE BIBLE 3

Saturday, 27th June, 2020

'That the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.' 2 Timothy 3:17 NAS

Daily Bible study equips you for your God-given assignment in life. Paul writes: 'All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching...reproof...correction...for training in righteousness; so that the man [and woman] of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work' (2 Timothy 3:16-17 NAS).

According to Paul, all Scripture is profitable - but profitable for what? (1) For doctrine and teaching. It will structure your thinking, and that's crucial, because if you're not thinking correctly, you're not living correctly. What you believe ultimately determines how you behave. (2) For reproof. It will tell you where you're out of bounds. Like an umpire who cries, 'Out!' or 'Safe!' the Bible lets you know what's sinful, and what God wants for your life. (3) For correction. Do you have a cupboard in the house where you store all the rubbish you can't find room for anywhere else? You cram it all in, then one day you forget, open the door, and - whoosh! - it all comes out? You say, 'Good night! I'd better clean this thing up!' The Bible is like that; it opens the cupboard doors in your life and provides a purifying dynamic. (4) For training in righteousness. Having corrected us on the negatives, Paul gives us positive guidelines to follow as we go through life. For what reason? 'That the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.'

Have you ever wished your life was more effective for Jesus Christ? And if so, what have you done to prepare yourself? Bible study is a primary means of becoming an effective servant of Jesus Christ. Nothing can take its place!

Soulfood: Jer 4-6, Luke 3:1-10, Ps 59:9-17, Pro 14:23-24.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 2:48pm On Jun 28, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

GOD IS TRAINING YOU

Sunday, 28th June, 2020

'It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons.' Hebrews 12:7 NAS

The Hebrew verb for test comes from a word that means 'to take a keen look at, to look, to choose'. Dismiss the notion that God does not see your struggle. On the contrary, He is fully engaged. He sees the needs of tomorrow and, accordingly, uses your circumstances to allow the test of today. Does He not have the authority to do so? He is the potter; we are the clay. He is the shepherd; we are the sheep. He is the gardener; we are the branches. He is the teacher; we are the students. Trust His training. You'll get through this. And remember, all tests are temporary. They are limited in duration. The Bible says, 'In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials' (1 Peter 1:6 NAS).

And here's something else to keep in mind: you can't shorten your testing period, but you can definitely lengthen it by being proud and stubborn, resisting what God wants to teach you. God won't deny you that choice, but neither will He protect you from the consequences of that choice. You wouldn't be the first student who had to repeat a year in school, and you won't be the last. You can go to church on Sunday and pay lip service to God's Word; you can reject the principles of truth and seek the easy way out. But it doesn't work. 'Good understanding gains favour, but the way of the unfaithful is hard' (Proverbs 13:15 NKJV).

Do it God's way, for that's the best way. Always!

Soulfood: Heb 11:23-28, Exo 3:1-22, Exo 33:7-23, Exo 34:29-35.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 12:20pm On Jun 29, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

IT'S NEVER TOO LATE FOR GOD

Monday, 29th June, 2020

'I have seen what they do, but I will heal them anyway!' Isaiah 57:18 NLT

Are you asking, 'Is it too late for God to do something with me?' It's never too late for God! In Scripture, we read about broken people God raised up in marvellous ways. He used Moses, a murderer, to deliver the Hebrew slaves. He used Jacob, a liar and a trickster, to fulfil His promise to Abraham. He even included Rahab, a harlot, in the messianic family line. And if God redeemed them, He can redeem you too.

Brokenness should never keep you bound. Rather, it should release you into a life of freedom. A truly broken person understands the reality of John 15:5 (NLT), where Jesus said, 'Apart from Me, you can do nothing'. A broken person who has learned to depend on God is a force to be reckoned with. When you're looking at a past strewn with failures, it's difficult to see a bright future, just as it's difficult to drive when you're looking in the rear-view mirror. You need to glance in your rear-view mirror occasionally, but if you keep focusing on it you'll end up hurting yourself and others. That's why the windscreen is so much bigger than the rear-view mirror - it shows you where you're heading instead of where you've been!

When you turn to God, He will forgive you, restore you and use you for His purposes. He said, 'I have seen what they do, but I will heal them anyway! I will lead them. I will comfort those who mourn, bringing words of praise to their lips' (Isaiah 57:18-19 NLT). The word for today is - it's never too late for God!

Soulfood: Jer 7-9, Luke 3:11-20, Ps 64, Pro 14:25-28.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 2:13pm On Jun 30, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

GETTING OUT OF YOUR BOAT

Tuesday, 30th June, 2020

'Peter then got out of the boat.' Matthew 14:29 CEV

Matthew records, 'Peter then got out of the boat and started walking on the water toward [Jesus]' (Matthew 14:29 CEV).

Today, ask yourself these three questions: (1) What's my boat? It's whatever gives you your greatest sense of security. It's what you're tempted to put your trust in when life gets stormy. To know what your boat is, ask yourself, 'What is it that produces the most fear in me, especially when I think of leaving it behind and stepping out in faith?' (2) What's keeping me from getting out of my boat? Fear: fear of people, fear of failure, fear of criticism, fear of lack. In order to grow, you must go into new territory, and each time you do, you'll experience fear. It never goes away. But each time you get out of your boat, you become a little more able to do it the next time, and you begin to realise that fear doesn't have the power to destroy you. So when Jesus says to you, 'Come,' start walking, He won't let you drown. (3) What will I forfeit by staying in my boat? Your destiny. To achieve what you have not yet achieved, you must attempt what you have not yet attempted. Will there be risks? Yes. Baseball's greatest hitters fail two times out of every three. But they know that if they don't step up to the plate, they'll never experience the joy of hitting a home run.

Understand this: if you stay in your boat, you'll eventually die there, and end up wondering what your life might have been if only you'd been willing to get out of your boat.

Soulfood: Jer 10-13, Luke 3:21-38, Ps 95, Pro 14:29-33.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:34am On Jul 01, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

GIVE GOD ALL THE GLORY

Wednesday, 1st July, 2020

'That no flesh should glory in His presence.' 1 Corinthians 1:29 NKJV

The story is told of a woodpecker who was pecking away on a pine tree when it was hit by a bolt of lightning and split from top to bottom. The woodpecker could hardly believe his eyes. He backed off, looked at the tree for a moment and flew away. He came back later, leading nine other woodpeckers. Then, with a great deal of swagger and pride, he pointed to the tree and said, 'There it is, gentlemen, just like I told you!'

Now let's get serious. As long as you remember to give God the credit for your success, He will keep using and blessing you. 'Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above' (James 1:17 NKJV). That means every good thing you enjoy today, and every good thing you'll need tomorrow, is a 'gift' from God. Paul writes, 'That no flesh should glory in His presence' (1 Corinthians 1:29 NKJV). There is no bragging in Heaven, just praise. Why? Because you can't brag on how you got to Heaven; it is all by God's grace. And you can't brag on what you did for God before you got to Heaven, because it was all God's calling. He says, 'I am the Lord, that is my name; and my glory I will not give to another' (Isaiah 42:8 NKJV). Again He says, 'Everyone who is called by my name, whom I have created for my glory; I have formed him, yes, I have made him' (Isaiah 43:7 NKJV).

The Lord's Prayer ends with the words 'Yours is the Kingdom and the power and the glory' (Matthew 6:13 NKJV). For how long? 'Forever. Amen.'

Happy New Month!

Soulfood: Jer 14-17, Luke 4:1-13, Ps 98, Pro 14:34.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 1:21pm On Jul 02, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

CONVICTION BRINGS HONOUR

Thursday, 2nd July, 2020

'I have made a vow to the Lord that I cannot break.' Judges 11:35 NIV

For months Eric Liddell trained with his heart set on winning the 100-metre race in the 1924 Olympics. Most sportswriters predicted he would win. At the games, however, Liddell learned that the 100-metre race was scheduled to be run on a Sunday. This posed a major problem for him, because he didn't believe he could honour God by running on the Lord's Day. He bowed out of the race, and his fans were stunned. Some who had praised him in the past now called him a fool. He came under intense pressure to change his mind, but he stood firm. Then a runner dropped out of the 400-metre race, which was scheduled on a weekday, and Liddell was offered the opportunity to fill the slot. This was not really 'his race'. The distance was four times as long as the one he'd diligently trained for. Even so, he crossed the finish line as victor and set a new record of 47.6 seconds in the process. He earned an Olympic gold medal and made an uncompromising stand for his faith, and his story was told in the Academy Award-winning movie Chariots of Fire. But Eric Liddell has an even greater claim to fame. He went on to become a missionary in China, where he died in a prisoner of war camp in 1945. He's like Jephthah, who said, 'I have given my word to the Lord, and I cannot go back on it' (Judges 11:35 NKJV).

The lesson that comes through loud and clear from this man's life is - stand by your convictions and God will honour you.

Soulfood: Jer 18-21, Luke 4:14-30, Ps 102:1-11, Pro 14:35 - 15:2.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:14am On Jul 03, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

ASPIRE TO GREATNESS

Friday, 3rd July, 2020

'Don't let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all.' 1 Timothy 4:12 NLT

By the time he was 18, Timothy was an apostle. And it seems some people in church thought his promotion to leadership at such an early age wasn't a good thing. But Paul did. He told Timothy: 'Teach these things and insist that everyone learn them. Don't let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity...focus on reading the Scriptures to the church, encouraging the believers, and teaching them. Do not neglect the spiritual gift you received...Throw yourself into your tasks so that everyone will see your progress' (1 Timothy 4:11-15 NLT).

Who says anyone is too young to make an impact? Not God. And not history. Victor Hugo wrote his first tragedy at age 15. Raphael painted his masterpieces before he died at age 37. Tennyson wrote his first volume of poetry at 18. Paschal wrote his great works between the ages of 16 and 37. Joan of Arc did all her work and was burned at the stake at 19. Romulus founded Rome at 20. Calvin joined the Reformation at age 21 and wrote his famous Institutes at age 27. Alexander the Great had conquered the known world by the time he was 23. Isaac Newton was 24 when he introduced the law of gravity.

Believe in yourself, whatever your age, because God does. Develop your gifts, and ask God to bless them. Maximise every opportunity to the fullest, and you will make the world a better place.

Soulfood: Jer 22-24, Luke 4:31-44, Ps 102:12-17, Pro 15:3.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 11:05am On Jul 04, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

YOU CAN WIN IN THE SECOND HALF

Saturday, 4th July, 2020

'I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely.' Hosea 14:4 NKJV

Half-time in the game is for rest and assessment. It's a time to regroup - to evaluate how things have been going and decide what adjustments need to be made for the rest of the game. Sometimes a team may look like they're losing at half-time, but by the time the game ends they've turned things around and won. Until the final whistle sounds, the game is still up for grabs.

And the same is true in life. If you're still here, the game of life isn't over for you. Your clock is still ticking. You have a life yet to live. Not only that, but the first half doesn't have to determine the outcome of the game. Maybe you've made mistakes or experienced disappointments and failures. Maybe life has dealt you a harsh blow here or there. But you are still here - and as long as you are, the whistle hasn't blown and it's not too late for God to take you straight to the plan He has for you.

You see, God looks at your future while the enemy tries to keep you focused on your past. God says, 'You can, in spite of what's been done!' But the enemy says, 'You can't, because of what you've done.' God will never define you by your past, whereas the enemy will try to control and confine you by using it against you. Whether the good, the bad or the ugly dominated your first half, Satan's goal is to keep you chained there. God, on the other hand, wants you to learn from your past - not live in it.

Soulfood: Jer 25-27, Luke 5:1-11, Ps 102:18-28, Pro 15:4-7.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 5:15pm On Jul 05, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

REMEMBER YOUR GOD EXPERIENCES

Sunday, 5th July, 2020

'Remember today what you have learned.' Deuteronomy 11:2 GNT

When you listen to people who have had near-death experiences, they'll tell you things worth remembering: 'Life is fragile and precious. I've decided to spend less time at work and more with my wife and family. I have a new compassion for people, more understanding and sympathy. I've come to know the Lord in a deeper and richer way than I ever thought possible.' Instead of asking, 'Why, Lord?' they asked, 'What do you want me to learn from this experience?'

It's not that we are slow learners, we're just quick forgetters. That's why God told His people, 'Remember today what you have learned about the Lord through your experiences with Him' (Deuteronomy 11:2 GNT). So instead of asking God to improve your circumstances, ask Him to use your circumstances to improve you. Life is a required course, so you might as well do your best to pass it. God is at work in your life, whether you know it or not. 'He does not willingly bring affliction or grief to anyone' (Lamentations 3:33 NIV). God does not delight in your sufferings, but He delights in your development. 'God began doing a good work in you, and I am sure He will continue it until it is finished' (Philippians 1:6 NCV).

God will not fail. Why? Because He cannot fail! He will 'work in us what is pleasing to Him' (Hebrews 13:21 NIV). Every challenge, large or small, is equipping you for the future God has in mind for you.

Soulfood: Jam 5:16-18, 1 Kings 18, 2 Kings 2:1-12.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:39pm On Jul 06, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

IT'S NOT TOO LATE 1

Monday, 6th July, 2020

'Your God...gives you power to be successful.' Deuteronomy 8:18 NLT

The famous inventor Samuel Morse dreamed of one day becoming a great painter. He even travelled to Paris in the pursuit of his dream. Years before, his preacher father, Jedediah Morse, had counselled him, using the words of the Earl of Chesterfield: 'Attend to one thing at a time. The steady, undissipated attention to one object is the sure mark of a superior genius.' As a result, Morse threw himself into painting. But after a series of setbacks, he finally abandoned it. The crushing moment came when he lost the appointment to paint a historic mural at the capital in Washington, D.C., and he gave up painting entirely. Writing about Samuel Morse in his book The Greater Journey, historian David McCullough says: 'He must attend to one thing at a time, his father had preached. The "one thing" henceforth would be his telegraph...Had he not stopped painting when he did, no successful electromagnetic telegraph would have happened when it did, or at least not a Morse electromagnetic telegraph.' Relatively late in his career, Samuel Morse gave up painting to focus on inventing the telegraph, and, eventually, a language called Morse code that transformed how the world communicates.

The Bible says, 'The Lord your God... is the One who gives you power to be successful' (Deuteronomy 8:18 NLT). And here's the good news - there's no age limit with God! He can give you success at the beginning, in the middle, or at the very end of your life. But in order to grasp the thing at which you will succeed, you must be willing to let go of the thing at which you have failed.

Soulfood: Jer 28-30, Luke 5:12-26, Ps 110, Pro 15:8-9.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:13am On Jul 07, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

IT'S NOT TOO LATE 2

Tuesday, 7th July, 2020

'Your old men will dream dreams.' Joel 2:28 NLT

World champion boxer George Foreman was raised in a Christian home, and eventually he came back to his roots - but not before he tried the world of gangs, drugs and violence. Recognising not only his physical prowess, but also his potential, a friend suggested he join a local gym to work out his aggression in a more constructive way. That led to his becoming a world heavyweight champion boxer, and making millions of dollars. But the career of a world champion boxer is relatively short, and eventually Foreman, aging and overweight, reached the place where the only fights he could get paid just a few thousand dollars. He desperately needed to lose weight and get back in shape. A friend introduced him to a healthy diet, and part of his new eating regimen involved using a little grill. One day Foreman's wife suggested that instead of simply using the grill for himself, he should put his name on it and others would buy it. And they did! Over 100 million George Foreman grills have been sold, and people are still buying them. Think about it. George Foreman made more money with his little grill than he made as a prizefighter.

The Bible says that when the Holy Spirit empowers them, 'your old men will dream dreams' (Joel 2:28 NLT). So regardless of your age, it's not too late for you. Just get down on your knees today and pray, 'Lord, all that I have and all that I am, I give fully to You. Use me as You see fit.' And when He answers, be prepared for Him to take you in a whole new direction.

Soulfood: Jer 31-32, Luke 5:27-39, Ps 122, Pro 15:10-14.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:56am On Jul 08, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

YOU'RE IN GOD'S WAITING ROOM 1

Wednesday, 8th July, 2020

'Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him.' Psalm 37:7 NKJV

When you're in a doctor's waiting room there are things you shouldn't do - like try to treat other patients, or have them treat you. Or ask the receptionist for a stethoscope or a blood pressure cuff. And it wouldn't be wise to ask the person sitting next to you, 'What prescriptions are you taking? Perhaps I could try them.' It's called a waiting room because you're supposed to wait.

But we don't like to wait. We weave through traffic looking for a faster lane. We drum our fingers on the worktop while the microwave heats our coffee: 'Come on, come on.' We don't like to wait for anything, including God. Over and over in Scripture when it speaks about our relationship with God, the word 'wait' keeps showing up. And here's what we fail to understand: while we are waiting, God is working. Jesus said, 'My Father is always at His work' (John 5:17 NIV).

The sign on God's waiting room reads 'Be still, and know that I am God' (Psalm 46:10 NIV). You can be still because He is active, and you can rest because He is busy. To wait, biblically speaking, is not to assume the worst, or worry, or fret, or make demands, or take control. Waiting is not inactivity. Waiting is sustained effort to stay focused on God through prayer and faith. To wait is to 'rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him...not fret' (Psalm 37:7 NKJV). God is the Great Physician. You are in His waiting room. He knows what ails you better than you do, and He has a prescription to fix it. So trust Him, and wait.

Soulfood: Jer 33:1 - 36:26, Luke 6:1-16, Ps 137, Pro 15:15-17.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:15am On Jul 09, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

YOU'RE IN GOD'S WAITING ROOM 2

Thursday, 9th July, 2020

'Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart.' Psalm 27:14 NKJV

God gave His people an interesting command: 'Three times a year all your men are to appear before the Sovereign Lord, the God of Israel. I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your territory, and no one will covet your land when you go up three times each year to appear before the Lord' (Exodus 34:23-24 NIV). Imagine that! Three times a year they were to stop working and spend time with the Lord worshipping Him, seeking His guidance and getting direction for the future.

Can you imagine what would happen if you did that? Note the words 'I will enlarge your territory'. Instead of losing - you'll gain, and instead of going backward - you'll go forward. Note also the words 'I will drive out the nations before you'. While you worship God and wait on Him, He will fight your battles. And the difference between you and God is that you risk losing, but he's never lost a battle. Note also the words 'No one will covet your land'. You don't have to worry about the competition getting ahead of you. God used this three-times-a-year pilgrimage to teach His people this principle: 'If you wait on Me in worship, I will work on your behalf.'

His Word says, 'Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint' (Isaiah 40:31 NKJV). So here are your choices: keep stressing out, or draw the strength and strategy you need from God by spending time with Him.

Soulfood: Jer 36:27 - 40:16, Luke 6:17-26, Ps 79, Pro 15:18-21.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:22am On Jul 10, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

TODAY CRY OUT TO JESUS

Friday, 10th July, 2020

'Many warned him to be quiet; but he cried out all the more.' Mark 10:48 NKJV

Try to imagine being blind all your life, then one day miraculously receiving your sight. And the first face you see - is the face of Jesus! That's what happened to Bartimaeus. Jesus was passing by the spot where he sat begging every day. Recognising this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, Bartimaeus cried out for help at the top of his lungs.

Sometimes dignified prayer won't get the job done. Desperate situations call for desperate measures. Sometimes you've got to cry out to God from the depths of your soul! 'Jesus stood still' (Mark 10:49 NKJV) when Bartimaeus shouted. Your cry will get God's attention. David said, 'I cried out to you, and you healed me' (Psalm 30:2 NKJV). Don't be reluctant, be confident. 'Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need' (Hebrews 4:16 NKJV).

The Bible says, 'Throwing his cloak aside, [Bartimaeus] jumped to his feet and came to Jesus' (Mark 10:50 NIV). He did that for two reasons: first, a long robe could have tripped him up; second, his clothes identified him as a beggar. To get to Jesus, you must be willing to throw aside everything that stands in your way. The shame and failure of your past, your lack and your limitations, the labels other people have put on you. When Jesus restores and makes you whole, you won't have to wear those old garments anymore. And here's another thought: when Bartimaeus regained his sight, he decided to follow Jesus (see Mark 10:52), and you must do that too.

Soulfood: Jer 41-44, Luke 6:27-36, Ps 109:1-15, Pro 15:22.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:32am On Jul 11, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

START SEEING IT DIFFERENTLY

Saturday, 11th July, 2020

'I truly believe I will live to see the Lord's goodness.' Psalm 27:13 NCV

When you choose to see things from God's perspective, it changes how you feel. The only thing keeping your old negative feelings in place is your thinking. 'As he thinks in his heart, so is he' (Proverbs 23:7 NKJV). When you start thinking the right way, your life starts going the right way.

But remember, you didn't become negative overnight and you won't become positive overnight. So how do you start? (1) Replace your negative thinking with thoughts that are 'praiseworthy' (Philippians 4:8 NIV). Deal with destructive thoughts the way you'd deal with flies at a picnic - shoo them away. With practice and persistence you can do it. You have that choice! (2) Remember: before you take on the future, recall God's goodness to you in the past. Shakespeare said, 'Let never day nor night unhallow'd pass, but still remember what the Lord hath done.' David said: 'I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart' (Psalm 27:13-14 NKJV).

We don't have more problems than other people, we just think about them more often. Stop and reread that last sentence! What you think produces how you feel. If you don't believe that, try feeling angry without first having angry thoughts, or feeling sad without first having sad thoughts. To experience a feeling, you must first entertain the thought that produces it. That's life-changing information - and it will change your life as you act on it!

Soulfood: Jer 45-48, Luke 6:37-49, Ps 109:16-31, Pro 15:23-26.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 2:42pm On Jul 12, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

A PEACEFUL STATE OF MIND

Sunday, 12th July, 2020

'His peace will guard your hearts and minds.' Philippians 4:7 NLT

The word worry comes from a Greek word meaning 'to divide the mind'. Worry splits you right down the middle; instead of dwelling on God's promises, you dwell on your problems. Worry is like a rocking chair - it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere. Instead of relieving you of tomorrow's troubles, it robs you of today's strength - and you can't afford to lose your strength.

So how can you stop worrying? The Bible has a two-part answer: God's part, and our part. Our part includes prayer and gratitude: 'Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done' (Philippians 4: 6 NLT). In order to worry less you must pray more, and also remember to express your gratitude. You can go to God confidently for the next thing, when you've taken time to thank Him for the last thing. And what's God's part? 'If you do this you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will keep your thoughts and your hearts quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ Jesus' (Philippians 4:7 TLB). Note the words 'You will experience God's peace'. Imagine having God's peaceful state of mind! Do you think He battles anxiety? Or wrings His hands and asks the angels for antacids?

Your problem is no more challenging to God than a twig is to an elephant. He enjoys perfect peace because He enjoys perfect power - and He offers His peace to you. When you do your part through prayer and thanksgiving, you'll have a peaceful state of mind.

Soulfood: Heb 11:7, Gen 6:9-22, Gen 8:18-22, Matt 24:36-44.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 3:13pm On Jul 13, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

MOVING FORWARD THROUGH GRIEF'S CYCLE

Monday, 13th July, 2020

'When they walk through the Valley of Weeping.' Psalm 84:6 NLT

If we were raised in a culture where any show of emotion was considered a sign of weakness, we must learn that grieving our losses is a healthy process - and a scriptural one. The Bible says, 'When they walk through the Valley of Weeping, it will become a place of refreshing springs...They will continue to grow stronger' (Psalm 84:6-7 NLT). Note, when our strength comes from the Lord, we can walk through 'the Valley of Weeping' and come out stronger. The length of time each of us spends in that valley may differ, but eventually we don't move on, but we move forward.

We are, understandably, shocked by the death of a loved one, but God is not. David said, 'You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment...laid out before a single day had passed' (Psalm 139:16 NLT). And try as we will, there's nothing we can do to change that. The truth is, we don't need to grieve 'as...those who have no hope' (1 Thessalonians 4:13 GNT). One day we'll be reunited with our redeemed loved one in the presence of the Lord, never to be separated again. The farewell is just 'till we meet again'.

In the meantime, if we need help, we don't have to be ashamed to reach for it. Remember: 'A brother is born for adversity' (Proverbs 17:17 NKJV). We can ask God to lead us to a person, a counsellor or a support group that can help us identify any unfinished business that's keeping us from moving forward in the grief cycle. Let's cherish our loved one's memory, but move forward and fulfil our divine destiny and purpose.

Soulfood: Jer 49-50, Luke 7:1-10, Ps 118:1-9, Pro 15:27-30.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:18am On Jul 14, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

WHEN GOD WRESTLES WITH YOU

Tuesday, 14th July, 2020

'[The angel of the Lord] wrestled with him till daybreak.' Genesis 32:24 NIV

Why would God let someone wrestle with Him? Because wrestling requires close contact. Jacob was a self-made man with an independent attitude that said, 'I don't need anybody but myself.' How long will God wrestle with you? Only for a limited time. In Jacob's case, 'till daybreak'. God knew that if Jacob didn't submit to Him that night, the rest of his life wouldn't go right.

There's a lesson here for all of us. Don't procrastinate; you may be running out of time. Before you forfeit your integrity or your family and your future, stop and realise that God knows things you don't know. He knows when the enemy plans to launch his next attack, or when death will be allowed to claim you. When He wrestles with you, it's to make you realise that you're wasting your life, or neglecting your family, or to show you that you're not the centre of the universe. Or it's to encourage you to keep this job without quitting, or stay involved in this church, or invest in this marriage instead of bailing out. God will wrestle with you until you stop making excuses and face the truth. And He doesn't sugar-coat things. He gives it to you straight. He won't let you get away with some of the stuff you've pulled in the past!

The very fact that God is willing to wrestle you into submission means He has great plans for you. Indeed, what He has in mind is greater than anything you could ever conceive or imagine. That is why God is wrestling with you.

Soulfood: Jer 51-52, Luke 7:11-23, Ps 118:10-18, Pro 15:31-32.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:47am On Jul 15, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DON'T BELIEVE THE ENEMY'S LIES

Wednesday, 15th July, 2020

'When he lies, he speaks his native language.' John 8:44 NIV

Jesus said of Satan, 'When he lies, he speaks his native language' (John 8:44 NIV). And he lies to us in three ways: (1) Doubts. His strategy is to discourage you, to make you throw up your hands and say, 'What's the use? Nothing has changed!' When you say that, you're signing the receipt and accepting the package. Don't do it! The Bible says, 'You are trapped by your own words' (Proverbs 6:2 CEV). What you say forms your perspective and creates the environment you live in. Never say anything that leads Satan to think he's winning. (2) Shock. If you're not expecting Satan's attack, you'll get alarmed and think, 'I must not be making progress. Why else would I still be fighting the same old battles?' Why? Because Satan doesn't give up without a fight, and his attack is proof you haven't been conquered. (3) Feelings. Satan will try to convince you that you don't deserve to be forgiven. He'll tell you that because you don't feel forgiven, you're not. But remember, he's a liar.

Here's where victory is decided. Stand your ground. The work has already been done in you. God's Word says so; now you must begin to say so too. Time will strengthen and solidify your position. Satan will bring to your mind all the things God has delivered you from, and in dealing with them you'll experience some of the emotions you had when you went through them. His strategy is to make you feel like nothing has changed. Don't buy it! Jesus said, 'If you hold to my teaching...you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free' (John 8:31-32 NIV).

Soulfood: Joel 1-3, Luke 7:24-35, Ps 118:19-29, Pro 15:33.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:54am On Jul 16, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

THE GIFT OF SINGLENESS

Thursday, 16th July, 2020

'God gives some...the gift of being able to stay happily unmarried.' 1 Corinthians 7:7 TLB

There's nothing wrong with being single. Sometimes when we see a beautiful woman or a handsome man who's not married, we think, 'I wonder what's wrong with them?' Nothing! Indeed, something might be wrong with them if they were married, because it's better to be single than to marry the wrong person.

The story's told of two friends. One noticed the other one wearing a wedding ring on the index finger of his right hand. So he said, 'That's strange. Is that your wedding ring?' His friend replied, 'Yes.' The first one said, 'Why are you wearing it on the wrong finger of the wrong hand?' His friend responded, 'Because I married the wrong woman.' We smile, but the Bible teaches that the single life is not only a good life, it is a gifted life. Paul writes: 'I wish everyone could get along without marrying, just as I do. But we are not all the same. God gives some the gift of [marriage], and others He gives the gift of being able to stay happily unmarried' (1 Corinthians 7:7 TLB).

This doesn't mean being single makes you more spiritual than if you were married. But the fact is, some people have been chosen and graced by the Lord to be single. Paul was one of them. He writes, 'I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am' (1 Corinthians 7:8 NKJV). Paul spent all but seven years of his ministry in prison, where he wrote the epistles. His God-given assignment in life was suited to singleness. The point is, no person should ever be ashamed or embarrassed because he or she is single.

Soulfood: Acts 1:1 - 3:10, Luke 7:36-50, Ps 123, Pro 16:1.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 12:39pm On Jul 17, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

PRAY FOR SPIRITUAL INSIGHT

Friday, 17th July, 2020

'Someone with understanding can find the wisdom there.' Proverbs 20:5 NCV

The people who knew Simon knew he was impulsive and tended to put his foot in his mouth. But Jesus saw something else in him; that's why He renamed him Peter, implying he was a stone suitable for a foundation. Can't you imagine the look on the other disciples' faces when Jesus said, 'You are Peter...upon this rock I will build my church, and...hell will not conquer it' (Matthew 16:18 NLT)? But Peter did become a pillar, a respected leader and founder of the church. And all because of Christ's ability and willingness to look beyond the surface and see what was on the inside. Being made in God's likeness gives a person amazing potential, but sometimes it takes 'someone with understanding' to recognise it and draw it out.

Too many of us see only what is on the surface. So we are quick to peg someone as arrogant, or quick-tempered, or weak, etc. But when you have spiritual insight, you see beyond all that, to the hopes and fears behind the person's behaviour. We don't need more self-appointed critics, we need: (1) Parents who pray for their children, look beyond their flaws, and draw out their uniqueness. (2) Spouses who search for the hidden treasure in their mates. (3) Business leaders who treat their workers with respect, and match their responsibilities with their talents. (4) Believers who forgive immature, stumbling fellow Christians and work to develop them. (5) Soul winners who see lost people through the eyes of Jesus and recognise what His transforming power can do.

So pray for spiritual insight.

Soulfood: Acts 3:11 - 5:42, Luke 8:1-15, Ps 133, Pro 16:2.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:00am On Jul 18, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

ENDURANCE

Saturday, 18th July, 2020

'Who for the joy that was set before Him endured.' Hebrews 12:2 NKJV

James writes, 'Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown' (James 1:12 NIV). Are you thinking of quitting? Life is full of quitting points, but if you throw in the towel on your marriage, your career or your dream, you may regret it for the rest of your life. Only by staying the course can God strengthen you and make you a winner.

F.B. Meyer says, 'You never test the resources of God until you attempt the impossible.' Quitting doesn't build character, endurance does. It develops something in you that nothing else can; that's why God calls it 'blessed' (James 5:11 NKJV). It sustains courage, gives staying power to discipline, and turns dreams into reality. Nobody knew more about endurance than Jesus. He endured all the way to Calvary: when they plucked the hair from His face, when the whip tore His flesh, when they nailed Him to a cross, when His friends forsook Him, when bystanders mocked Him, when God turned His face away, and when hell rose up and cried, 'Quit!' The Bible says, '[Jesus] Who for the joy that was set before Him endured' (Hebrews 12:2 NKJV).

God rewards those who diligently seek Him (see Hebrews 11:6). He promises that when you seek Him with all your heart, you'll find Him (see Jeremiah 29:13). And those promises apply to you. So tell God, 'I plan to keep going, and trusting You for the strength to break through.' When you pray that way, you'll find your quitting point isn't as solid as you thought.

Soulfood: Acts 6-7, Luke 8:16- 25, Ps 140, Pro 16:3.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 2:34pm On Jul 19, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

BE WILLING TO FIGHT

Sunday, 19th July, 2020

'God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right.' Matthew 5:10 NLT

Jesus said: 'God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers. Be happy about it!...For a great reward awaits you in Heaven' (Matthew 5:11-12 NLT). If you're thin-skinned, you'll always be an easy target. Endurance, not popularity, is the secret to long-term success.

Paul endured desertion by his friends, ugly letters from the Corinthians, disappointment with the Galatians, mistreatment in Philippi, mocking in Athens, and beheading in Rome. He writes, 'Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong' (1 Corinthians 16:13 NAS). Let's break this verse down: (1) Be on the alert. The devil is out to get you. What's he after? Your value to God's Kingdom. Your life is a seed capable of producing a harvest for God in the earth, so protect yourself. (2) Stand firm in the faith. You can't stand on your circumstances or other people's opinions, because those things constantly change. You can stand only on the Word of God. (3) Act like men. Immaturity will hurt you when the attack comes. The Bible says you must '[leave] the elementary...[and] press on to maturity' (Hebrews 6:1 NAS). If you're still making the same mistakes twenty-five years later, you're not learning enough. (4) Be strong. Weakness is an invitation to the enemy. It always precedes surrender, and quitting isn't an option.

God told the Israelites that the Promised Land was theirs, but they had to fight for it. And only those who were willing to fight got to enter it. The same goes for you.

Soulfood: Heb 11:8-12, Gen 17:1-27, Gen 22:1-18, Jam 2:21-24.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:28am On Jul 20, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

THE LION AND THE LAMB

Monday, 20th July, 2020

'Always be humble, gentle, and patient, accepting each other in love.' Ephesians 4:2 NCV

One day a lion met a tiger in the jungle. He grabbed the tiger's tail and demanded, 'Who is the king of the jungle?' The tiger answered meekly, 'You are, O mighty lion.' Next the lion grabbed a monkey, asking, 'Who do you say is the king of the jungle?' The monkey humbly replied, 'You, O mighty lion.' Then the lion met an elephant and asked, 'Who is the king of the jungle?' The elephant grabbed him with his trunk, whirled him around and threw him up against a tree, leaving him bleeding and broken. The lion got up slowly, and licking his wounds, said to the elephant, 'Just because you don't know the answer is no reason for you to get so rough.'

The lesson in this story is: the greater your authority, the more gracious your attitude towards others should be. In Scripture Jesus is referred to as a lion and a lamb; He's the Lion of the tribe of Judah, and the Lamb of God. And in this He shows us the essence of true strength and leadership. When it comes to standing for the truth, you should roar like a lion, and when it comes to dealing with people, you should be as gentle as a lamb.

Paul spells it out clearly in this Scripture: 'With all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love' (Ephesians 4:2 NKJV). Again he writes, 'Put up with each other, and forgive each other if anyone has a complaint. Forgive as the Lord forgave you' (Colossians 3:13 GWT).

Soulfood: Acts 8-9, Luke 8:26-39, Ps 146, Pro 16:4-5.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 10:35am On Jul 21, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

GOD CAN RESTORE YOUR FORTUNES

Tuesday, 21st July, 2020

'The Lord restored his fortunes.' Job 42:10 NLT

In his book The Spiritual Lives of the Great Composers, Patrick Kavanaugh discusses George Frideric Handel's musical masterpiece Messiah. An unpredictable composer at best, Handel spent much of his up-and-down career moving from one failure to another. In those days bankruptcy wasn't an option, and by 1741, Handel was drowning in debt. Without a miracle, prison was inevitable. He decided to perform his farewell concert and retire a failure at age 56. But when a friend handed him a libretto on the life of Jesus based on selected Scriptures from the Bible, everything changed. Handel threw himself into writing and composing, and in a staggering stretch completed Part One in six days, Part Two in nine days, and Part Three six days later. He worked feverishly, driven by one overwhelming purpose. Servants left meals outside his door, afraid to disturb him. Once, when a servant did find the courage to open the door, the startled composer cried out, with tears streaming down his face, 'I think I did see all Heaven before me, and the great God Himself!' He had just finished the much-celebrated 'Hallelujah Chorus'.

What a comeback story - and the Bible is filled with them! The first forty-one chapters in the book of Job describe all that he had lost: his health, his wealth, and his family. Then, in the last chapter we read, 'The Lord restored his fortunes...The Lord blessed Job in the second half of his life even more than in the beginning' (Job 42:10-12 NLT).

And what God did for George Frideric Handel, and for Job, He can do for you when you put your life in His hands.

Soulfood: Acts 10-11, Luke 8:40-56, Ps 14, Pro 16:6-7.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:12am On Jul 22, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

You're an Overcomer

Wednesday, 22nd, July, 2020

Nothing becomes great until it overcomes something. Paul writes, 'For a great...door has opened to me, and there are many adversaries' (1 Corinthians 16:9 NKJV). Great doors of opportunity come with great challenges, and those challenges will stretch your faith. If outstanding success came easy, everybody would have it. But if everybody had it, then it wouldn't be outstanding success. How does a caterpillar develop into a butterfly? By overcoming the cocoon. Would it be easier to stay in the comfort of the cocoon? Some days the struggle is so great that the caterpillar probably thinks so. But the price of freedom, flight and discovery, is struggle, development and breakthrough. There is no other way.

Why did Jesus send His disciples into the storm on the Sea of Galilee? To teach them to trust Him in every situation of life. Soon He'd be leaving them, so He used different experiences to equip them for the future. What are you trying to overcome today? Instead of complaining about it, or asking God to take it away, try to see it as preparation for the thing He has called you to do. Read these Scriptures. 'Blessed is the man who endures temptation' (James 1:12 NKJV). 'To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life' (Revelation 2:7 NKJV). 'Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven' (Matthew 5:10 NKJV). 'Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good' (Romans 12:21 NKJV). 'Put on the whole armour of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil' (Ephesians 6:11 NKJV).

Today you're called to be an overcomer.

Soul Food / Bible in a Year
Acts 10-11, Luke 8:40-56, Psalms 14, Proverbs 16:6-7.
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:01am On Jul 24, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

THRIVE WHERE YOU'RE LOCATED

Thursday, 23rd July, 2020

First God made the garden, then he made man and woman and placed them in the garden. This is called 'the law of location'. Understand this: you will succeed when you are where God wants you to be.

Have you ever experienced the pain of a dislocated joint? It's miserable. So is trying to 'do your own thing' instead of doing God's will. You can go the easy way or the hard way; God gives you that option. But eventually you'll go, or you'll go under. Jonah is an example of this - he decided not to go to Nineveh and preach because he didn't like the people who lived there. Helping them was the last thing he wanted to do, so he decided to run from his God-given assignment in Nineveh. As a result he ran into a storm, caused misery and loss for everyone on board and hit bottom before he finally got to where God wanted him to go. Learn from Jonah. Don't repeat his foolish, costly and unnecessary mistake.

God told Adam to 'be fruitful and multiply' (Genesis 1:28 ESV). Then he told him, 'You have to work at it.' When you get to the right place, don't expect your assignment to be easy or think you'll become successful overnight. American clergyman and author Phillips Brooks prayed, 'Lord, we ask you not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs.' When Paul prayed for relief, God told him, 'My grace is sufficient for you' (2 Corinthians 12:9 NKJV). When you're in the right place, doing what God wants, you'll thrive in conditions others crumble under because you'll be 'graced' to handle it.

Acts 12-13, Luke 9:1-17, Psalms 65, Proverbs 16:8-9.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 3:35pm On Jul 24, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

AT YOUR BREAKING POINT - TURN TO GOD

Friday, 24th July, 2020

David had reached his breaking point. 'I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living' (Psalm 27:13 NKJV). Can you identify? Have you reached your breaking point? If so, you have two options: break down or break through. It all depends on what you do. There's an old saying, 'The same sunshine that melts the butter hardens the clay.' When trouble comes, you can either turn against God because you served Him and don't understand why He's allowing it, or turn to Him for strength and understanding. That's why what David says next is so important: 'Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart' (Psalm 27:14 NKJV).

Sometimes God changes our circumstances; other times He uses them to strengthen us. Try to understand this. It's not just about you, but those God wants to reach through you. 'He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others' (2 Corinthians 1:4 NLT).

Nothing catches God off guard, and nothing's too hard for Him to handle. The situation you're in right now can become a platform for Him to demonstrate His love and care for you. 'The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin afresh each morning. I say to myself, "The Lord is my inheritance; therefore I will hope in Him!" The Lord is good to those who depend on Him' (Lamentations 3:22-25 NLT).

Acts 14-15Luke 9:18-27Psalms 1Proverbs 16:10-15.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:09am On Jul 25, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

OVERCOMING TEMPTATION

Saturday, 25th July, 2020

Why did Jesus tell His disciples, 'Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak' (Matthew 26:41 NKJV)? Because He knows that without the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit, we're not equal to the temptations that come our way. Jesus didn't doubt the disciples' love for Him or their willingness to serve Him, but He knew they couldn't do it in their own strength.

And you can't either. When you fight the flesh in the power of the flesh, you end up fighting yourself - and you lose every time. Note the words 'lest you enter into temptation'. You'll never be exempt from temptation, but you don't have to 'enter into' it. Indeed, your regenerated spirit can't 'enter into' it because sin has no appeal to it. But your unregenerated 'flesh' will always be attracted to sin. And becoming a Christian increases the frequency, variety and intensity of the temptations you face. Why? Because Satan, 'the tempter', doesn't give up control easily. He will fight you constantly, and on different fronts.

The Bible speaks of 'manifold temptations' (1 Peter 1:6 KJV). The word 'manifold' means there are 'many kinds' of temptation. What's the answer? 'Manifold grace' (1 Peter 4:10 KJV)! The moment temptation rears its head, and before you have time to 'enter into' it, draw on God's grace. How do you do that? Jesus said, 'Watch and pray.' The Living Bible says, 'Keep alert and pray. Otherwise temptation will overpower you' (Matthew 26:41). Sheep don't have the strength or skill to overcome the wolf. But they have the strategy! They just draw close to the shepherd and he deals with the wolf.

Soul Food / Bible in a Year:
Acts 16-17, Luke 9:28-36, Psalms 42:1-5, Proverbs 16:16.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:59pm On Jul 26, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

TRUST GOD - HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING

Sunday, 26th July, 2020

Let's take a look at this Scripture. (1) 'Be still'. Activity born out of anxiety actually prevents God from showing Himself strong on your behalf. That doesn't mean you can be passive or lazy; it means doing what God leads you to do without running ahead of Him. It means submitting to Him by slowing down and waiting. Why? To make sure you have a sense of peace to go along with the ideas you believe He's giving you (see Colossians 3:15). Ask Him to reveal His will; then 'be still', acknowledge that He's in charge and He knows what He's doing.

(2) 'Know that I am God'. This means acknowledging that you are not God! When you don't obey God, consult Him or recognise His timing, you remove Him from the throne of your life and end up trying to take His place. And you know how well that works, right? We hear a lot about goal-setting and vision. And it's a scriptural principle, for 'where there is no vision, the people are unrestrained' (Proverbs 29:18 NAS). But the Bible also says, 'The vision is...for an appointed time...Though it tarries, wait for it' (Habakkuk 2:3 NKJV). You'll never fulfil your vision without the help of the One who gave it to you. Nineteenth-century American clergyman Henry Ward Beecher said, 'The strength of a man consists in finding out the way God is going, and going that way.'

Remember, there's no time lost in waiting if you're waiting on the Lord. So don't let a 'how to' seminar or a 'type A personality' stampede you into getting ahead of God, or attempting to forge ahead under your own steam.

Soul Food / Bible in a Year:
Acts 18-19, Luke 9:37-45, Psalms 42:6-11, Proverbs 16:17-19.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

How To Get Jehovah's Witnesses To Listen / The Experience Lagos 2017 "Jesus Our King" (Live Thread) / MFM Gives N91m To Members With First-Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 203
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.