Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? (30569 Views)

Izzi-Ezaa-Mgbo-Ikwo dialect cluster / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning / How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by hollarhollar(m): 10:59pm On Aug 31, 2017
Please, what's the meaning of Asamijoko, I think it's an Isoko name.
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by EgusiShankly: 11:02pm On Aug 31, 2017
Eki-market
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by salt1: 11:04pm On Aug 31, 2017
fratermathy:

If we are talking about the worst type of English names, turn your eyes towards Ijaw. Ijaw people dey answer anything, I swear. Urhobo funny English name dey learn for Ijaw one.

You see Ijaws answering names like Pepper, Pepple, Goldwater, Heneiken, Wine, etc. These are not even their native names yet o!

Urhobos by far dwarf the Ijaws in funny native names though.

There is also one funny Igbo name I came across one time but I don't know if I remember it correctly:

Azubuike (back is front?). Am I right?

Azubuike: I have strong backing/support. Beautiful name acknowledging family or friends

4 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by HMZi: 11:04pm On Aug 31, 2017
HungerBAD:
Jesukristikwiifatherrrrr
(Jesus Christ no dey Kill Reverend father)
LWKMD O
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 11:15pm On Aug 31, 2017
Ogidigbeji (rain inside forest). itsekiri
Igbogidi (big tree)

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by 4larrah(m): 11:19pm On Aug 31, 2017
Ashley86400:

No, but I think he left my school for Knoxfield.
Ijoko, Sango Ota, right?
One proud boy like that. Dark skin. Squinty eyes.
yeah. he was my sis classmate then. we often joked with his name then, very funny name.

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by vanhayor(m): 11:34pm On Aug 31, 2017
fratermathy:
CC: Efewestern Sanchez01 Onosprince Oloripapa Igbodefender AkinPhysicist Omenkalives Tonyebarcanista Izonpekin Hopefullandlord HopeAtHand Halima NtoAkwaIbom TSOM
lol... not noticed grin
fratermathy:
CC: Efewestern Sanchez01 Onosprince Oloripapa Igbodefender AkinPhysicist Omenkalives Tonyebarcanista Izonpekin Hopefullandlord HopeAtHand Halima NtoAkwaIbom TSOM
lol... not noticed

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Babsmike(m): 11:36pm On Aug 31, 2017
Okuta- stone
Asala - Walnut
Malomo - Don't go again

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Young03(m): 11:51pm On Aug 31, 2017
fratermathy:

I think it is Urhobo but he didn't spell it well.

what's the meaning of Esekobe?
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Dbrainiac1(m): 11:51pm On Aug 31, 2017
Hyelazumburu - God is with us
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by fratermathy(m): 11:53pm On Aug 31, 2017
Dbrainiac1:
Hyelazumburu - God is with us

What language is this?
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by fratermathy(m): 11:57pm On Aug 31, 2017
Young03:

what's the meaning of Esekobe?

Eseophe means free gift literally (but can also mean Grace in the religious setting).

Esekobe (Gift is not hard -word for word translation).
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Young03(m): 12:00am On Sep 01, 2017
fratermathy:

Eseophe means free gift literally (but can also mean Grace in the religious setting).

Esekobe (Gift is not hard -word for word translation).

ok thanks
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Young03(m): 12:04am On Sep 01, 2017
OLANIYI It has a meaning both in Yoruba and Igbo

In Igbo it means He is useless

8 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Dbrainiac1(m): 12:11am On Sep 01, 2017
fratermathy:

What language is this?
Burah language. Native to most of the southern part of Borno state.

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by michony505(m): 12:24am On Sep 01, 2017
Young03:
OLANIYI It has a meaning both in Yoruba and Igbo

In Igbo it means He is useless
In Yoruba it means wealth has value
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Angelovic96: 12:27am On Sep 01, 2017
RedboneSmith:
Tabansi is an Igbo name that literarily means Keep Eating Sh!t. But maybe it has a deeper meaning that isn't apparent to me.
grin
RedboneSmith:
Tabansi is an Igbo name that literarily means Keep Eating Sh!t. But maybe it has a deeper meaning that isn't apparent to me.

hahahaha!

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by horchukoh(m): 12:28am On Sep 01, 2017
have heard of ashiyanbi and orimogunje as people surname don't really know their meanings pls can a Yoruba person inteprete this for me please
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by michony505(m): 12:29am On Sep 01, 2017
onuwaje:
Itsekiri funny names
Ogun-eran that's my family nickname it means 20 meat Kosini (council) Adan (bat) Ipi (masquerade) Areyenka (u nr fit trek d world) Ashorkpinmi (talk talk tire me) Eyeoyibo (Oyibo life) Udayibo (sword or Oyibo sword) Ojobon (market day)
Ukubeyinje (death dn spoil arrangements lol) Edemadiden (yellow man) Omadudu /Okorodudu(black child) Ometie (small pickin) Meatseaghanrun ( i nr do anybody anything) lol
Mabiaku (nor die with suffer)
Ogun-eran and Adan also mean thesame in Yoruba
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by michony505(m): 12:31am On Sep 01, 2017
Ogun-eran that's my family nickname it means 20 meat Kosini (council) Adan (bat) Ipi (masquerade) Areyenka (u nr fit trek d world) Ashorkpinmi (talk talk tire me) Eyeoyibo (Oyibo life) Udayibo (sword or Oyibo sword) Ojobon (market day)
Ukubeyinje (death dn spoil arrangements lol) Edemadiden (yellow man) Omadudu /Okorodudu(black child) Ometie (small pickin) Meatseaghanrun ( i nr do anybody anything) lol
Mabiaku (nor die with suffer) [/quote] Ogun-eran and Adan also mean thesame in Yoruba
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Namdouz: 12:33am On Sep 01, 2017
[quote author=RedboneSmith post=60004684]Another strange name I have encountered in Oshimili (Delta State) is Njokanma -Evil is Better. I am also hoping this one too has a deeper meaning that eludes me. [It means "evil is more prevalent than good"]

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by xtybliss(f): 12:43am On Sep 01, 2017
Udeogalanya.....rich man's cream
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Nobody: 1:22am On Sep 01, 2017
obo meaning monkey
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by sonnie10: 1:26am On Sep 01, 2017
Odogwu.....massive pee pee
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Nobody: 1:51am On Sep 01, 2017
HungerBAD:

Its actually Urhobo.

Since you understand Urhobo very well. Say it in Urhobo that Jesus Christ dont kill father(Reverend Father) and tell me how what i wrote is wrong.

Truth is,you have not heard all names in this life.

He quoted Fratermathy, you replied with Hungerbad. undecided
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by DrIkB: 3:33am On Sep 01, 2017
Still on Urhobo
Omokri:goat (short and smelling goat) my family friend bears that
Esi: pig
Eba: garri(food) my junior boy in school suffered for this name
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Dhugal: 4:18am On Sep 01, 2017
RedboneSmith:
Tabansi means Keep enduring,haba.
How did you come up with that nonsense you wrote?
It's short form,Tansi,is more widely known now
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by kebliss(m): 4:36am On Sep 01, 2017
Emekpu - small bag
Origbo - bitter leave
Ekafuvweoma - i'm ok wit curses
Agogo - bell
Odin - deaf

Urhobo weirdest names
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by rhektor(m): 5:07am On Sep 01, 2017
bjhaid:
Oluwaboriogunninuogbagethsemane

Jeesu Kristi, is this a name or a coinage? shocked shocked shocked
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by rhektor(m): 5:10am On Sep 01, 2017
YoungBrain:
mosebolatan
(I am not yoruba but this weird "I don do Bola finish" was my interpretation)

This means " I thought wealth has finished"
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by DeeMain(m): 5:20am On Sep 01, 2017
Eke40seven:

Lol..

Azubuike means, "Strength lies in the back" more like an anatomical explaination. I don't know if there is a deeper meaning to it though.

Azu names are usually misunderstood by many these days. Azu means back. Metaphorically it means backers.

Azubuike - my backer(s) (God, family, friends, relatives who are backing /supporting me) is my strength.

Same etymology as Azuka: usually short for Azukaego - Having backers/family/people who support or fight for you is better/more superior/powerful (than having money, in the case of Azukaego).

4 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Nobody: 5:30am On Sep 01, 2017
aniomafirstson:
lol

otofe means greetings in ukwuani
I repeat, 'Otofe' is a praise name used only to greet a married woman in Anioma, and it means 'ote ofe' or 'cooker of soup'. (The Anioma love soup so much, and cherish a woman who can cook it.)

The reason the 'e' in 'ote ofe' becomes swallowed when written is that the Igbo linguistic principle of Olilo Udaume is applied. It is like greeting someone with the words, 'Chairman!'

The greeting for married men is 'Ejeh'.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

6 Undisputed Facts That Prove "Homosexuality" Is Demonic Possession / 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool / 5 Unwritten Cultural Rules Of The Yorubas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.