Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,419 members, 7,808,504 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:46 PM

Three Sides Of A Coin - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Three Sides Of A Coin (156606 Views)

Messiah's Poem: The Poverty Alleviation Coin (PAC) & Naira Marley Coin (NMC). / *sides Of Love* / sides Of Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by bimberry1307(f): 12:50pm On Sep 13, 2017
wow! Ehi, that was a narrow escape.

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Honeydawealth(f): 1:07pm On Sep 13, 2017
Ehi should av allowed him to atleast say his name now..... Nice one fiyah....

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Slimberry123(f): 4:42pm On Sep 13, 2017
Fiyah fiyah fiyah... i love your stories, i love you. this is a great piece... u are wonderful....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 13, 2017
I love the twist in this story. FiyAh we want more

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by fiyah(f): 6:22pm On Sep 13, 2017
What is a dream?
A dream is the first thing we abadon when we understand how this world works
-ANONYMOUS

*EHI*

It was all coming back to me.

Everything we talked about last night. Everything that happened was coming back to me.

I was sitting on a plastic chair just on the front porch of my appartment. Rhoda was there with me, the novel she had abadoned still on her laps while she kept bringing up random and different topics of which she practically did the solo talking. I was barely listening to her as I was too preoccupied with the thoughts in my head to hear her but I still encouraged her to keep talking by maintaining a serious countenance while I ensured I had an half smile on my lips.

I had caught a cold and also, my ankle appeared to have worsened. So, I called in sick only to have myself stuck with this talking machine who was prepared to talk me to death.

Was I glad she eventually dropped the conversation about Peter.... or Fred or whatever?

How did I even come up with Pior Fred...

Speaking of Peter... or Fred, he just might have gone through what I have. Or even worse.

'I almost lived my whole life believing the wrong man was my father. 'Peter had started his story yesternight.

According to him, right before he knew who his real father was, he had always hated his supposed stepfather. He had always had his doubts about him.

'They call him Podo and he was a drug dealer and that being the most conspicuous of his personality, there were other things he was that people don't exactly know.' He continued, starting with his early lives. The ones he spent with his stepfather whom he believed was his dad

'He was a wife beater, a child abuser, a monster creator, the godfather of holigans, bandits, thugs, a multiple divorcée, a murderer amongst others.'

'He was popular in the neighborhood for everything illegal but surprisingly, he never got caught. If he ever manages to, which he rarely does, he would be free before the blink of an eye. He has friends in the police, in politics, in the streets. He was known everywhere.'

'He knew just the right way to go about his business. By, right way, I mean he doesn't do his deals in person. He chose the least suspicious person to do his supplying and buying. And that was of course, eight year old me. And who was my mum to go against his will? I have always thought my mum was weak when it comes to him. She takes his insults and allow him to get away with whatever he does. But the moment he mentioned getting me all mixed up in his illegal businesses, she flared up and as much as I hate to remember what happened the moment she did, I can't forget having to visit her in the hospital for a week or two.

'Podo told me that's what would be my mum's fate every single day if I chose not to do what he says. Left with no other choice, I started pushing drugs for him. Spent days, weeks and even months locked up some times, which brings me to the part where he created a monster. An emotionless monster.

'At some point while growing up, I couldn't help questioning my mum. I asked her why she married him. 'What even attracted you to him in the first place?' I asked with tears in my eyes as I watched my mum bleed from the impact of his jaw cracking punch on one of his bad days. It's not even like he had ever had a good day before. She never told me why.'

'Living with Podo left us with nothing but horrible memories and we never had good ones. Not until I fought for our freedom'

'He was high like he always is but unlike before, a lot of things had changed. But maybe he didn't realise it. Maybe the drug he took made him believe time was static but I wasn't eight no more. I was an eighteen year old, fresh out of college, emotionless dude with a built boys my age don't exactly have. It was like I was blind
all these years and I just got healed. He was going to hit my mum but I stopped him. A move that left him dumbfounded for a few seconds. He made to slap me but I also stopped him. Twisting his shoulder backwards which left him with a dislocated arm, I barraged him with punches, kicks, and blows and before I knew it, he was unconscious. It was a flawless victory. And even though, I thought I beat my dad then, it didn't feel wrong. It just felt like dealing with a big, useless bully.

'I spent a few days in the cell. Yeah, he got me arrested and when I got out, he sent us parking.'

'Although things were harder than we thought it would be without Podo, we survived and it was the happiest years my mum and I spent together. I struggled to get myself through school but surprisingly, things weren't looking up for me like I thought they would after school. It was simply getting worse and so was my mum's health. It was at this point that two things happened to me. Two things that changed my life forever. The first of which is, I got to know about my father and I got married.'

His story was sad.

I couldn't tell which one was sadder. Mine or his.

I tried to remember what he said after then but I couldn't.

That must have been the point where I waltzed off to sleep and he suspended his narration.

What happened to his marriage?

Why did he show up all of a sudden here?

What happened to his mum?

Did his mum ever told him why she left chief for Podo?

All these were the thoughts going through my mind that needed urgent answers.

'...company. Are you even listening to me?' Was the last thing I hear Rhoda
say. I greeted her with a blank stare with the half smile, which I wasn't quick enough to erase still jutting on my lips.

I guessed that saved her the trouble of doing the math.

She knew instantly that I wasn't listening
Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by fiyah(f): 6:23pm On Sep 13, 2017
What is a dream?
A dream is the first thing we abadon when we understand how this world works
-ANONYMOUS

*EHI*

It was all coming back to me.

Everything we talked about last night. Everything that happened was coming back to me.

I was sitting on a plastic chair just on the front porch of my appartment. Rhoda was there with me, the novel she had abadoned still on her laps while she kept bringing up random and different topics of which she practically did the solo talking. I was barely listening to her as I was too preoccupied with the thoughts in my head to hear her but I still encouraged her to keep talking by maintaining a serious countenance while I ensured I had an half smile on my lips.

I had caught a cold and also, my ankle appeared to have worsened. So, I called in sick only to have myself stuck with this talking machine who was prepared to talk me to death.

Was I glad she eventually dropped the conversation about Peter.... or Fred or whatever?

How did I even come up with Pior Fred...

Speaking of Peter... or Fred, he just might have gone through what I have. Or even worse.

'I almost lived my whole life believing the wrong man was my father. 'Peter had started his story yesternight.

According to him, right before he knew who his real father was, he had always hated his supposed stepfather. He had always had his doubts about him.

'They call him Podo and he was a drug dealer and that being the most conspicuous of his personality, there were other things he was that people don't exactly know.' He continued, starting with his early lives. The ones he spent with his stepfather whom he believed was his dad

'He was a wife beater, a child abuser, a monster creator, the godfather of holigans, bandits, thugs, a multiple divorcée, a murderer amongst others.'

'He was popular in the neighborhood for everything illegal but surprisingly, he never got caught. If he ever manages to, which he rarely does, he would be free before the blink of an eye. He has friends in the police, in politics, in the streets. He was known everywhere.'

'He knew just the right way to go about his business. By, right way, I mean he doesn't do his deals in person. He chose the least suspicious person to do his supplying and buying. And that was of course, eight year old me. And who was my mum to go against his will? I have always thought my mum was weak when it comes to him. She takes his insults and allow him to get away with whatever he does. But the moment he mentioned getting me all mixed up in his illegal businesses, she flared up and as much as I hate to remember what happened the moment she did, I can't forget having to visit her in the hospital for a week or two.

'Podo told me that's what would be my mum's fate every single day if I chose not to do what he says. Left with no other choice, I started pushing drugs for him. Spent days, weeks and even months locked up some times, which brings me to the part where he created a monster. An emotionless monster.

'At some point while growing up, I couldn't help questioning my mum. I asked her why she married him. 'What even attracted you to him in the first place?' I asked with tears in my eyes as I watched my mum bleed from the impact of his jaw cracking punch on one of his bad days. It's not even like he had ever had a good day before. She never told me why.'

'Living with Podo left us with nothing but horrible memories and we never had good ones. Not until I fought for our freedom'

'He was high like he always is but unlike before, a lot of things had changed. But maybe he didn't realise it. Maybe the drug he took made him believe time was static but I wasn't eight no more. I was an eighteen year old, fresh out of college, emotionless dude with a built boys my age don't exactly have. It was like I was blind
all these years and I just got healed. He was going to hit my mum but I stopped him. A move that left him dumbfounded for a few seconds. He made to slap me but I also stopped him. Twisting his shoulder backwards which left him with a dislocated arm, I barraged him with punches, kicks, and blows and before I knew it, he was unconscious. It was a flawless victory. And even though, I thought I beat my dad then, it didn't feel wrong. It just felt like dealing with a big, useless bully.

'I spent a few days in the cell. Yeah, he got me arrested and when I got out, he sent us parking.'

'Although things were harder than we thought it would be without Podo, we survived and it was the happiest years my mum and I spent together. I struggled to get myself through school but surprisingly, things weren't looking up for me like I thought they would after school. It was simply getting worse and so was my mum's health. It was at this point that two things happened to me. Two things that changed my life forever.'

His story was sad.

I couldn't tell which one was sadder. Mine or his.

I tried to remember what he said after then but I couldn't.

That must have been the point where I waltzed off to sleep and he suspended his narration.

What did he say after then?

What were those two important things that changed his life?

Why did he just show up all of a sudden here?

What happened to his mum?

Did his mum ever told him why she left chief for Podo?

All these were the thoughts going through my mind that needed urgent answers.

'...company. Are you even listening to me?' Was the last thing I hear Rhoda
say. I greeted her with a blank stare with the half smile, which I wasn't quick enough to erase still jutting on my lips.

I guessed that saved her the trouble of doing the math.

She knew instantly that I wasn't listening

4 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by iiru: 7:40pm On Sep 13, 2017
ռɨċɛ օռɛ fuyab

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by gr8skillz(m): 7:41pm On Sep 13, 2017
I still wonder how your brain works fiyah, JAH bless the womb that conceived you. I feel like asking for more right now but I knew my brain wouldn't have been able to conjure something this soothing in like 20hours from now.

I'll be looking forward to your next update

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by iiru: 8:17pm On Sep 13, 2017
ռɨċɛ օռɛ fiyah

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Mirabel14: 8:24pm On Sep 13, 2017
Thumbs up Fiyah

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by greatface(m): 11:19pm On Sep 13, 2017
One thing I like about Peter is that he is so good in investigation.

But for Rhoda, is it that she is so burired in her uncertain and yet-to-confirm predicament that made her not to suspect or pick up any clue as to who the "hotman" in Ehi's bedroom is?

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Nobody: 10:53am On Sep 14, 2017
Hmm. Rhoda don't make me hate you ooo. Ur brain is sleeping ooo

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Twinkle004(f): 12:38pm On Sep 14, 2017
Fiyah I always trust your work. You are just good.
I like the idea of Peter and Ehi but has for Rhoda I don't see her getting married to David.

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by ItxAyce(m): 3:03pm On Sep 14, 2017
Fiyah!!! Fiyah!!!

You're an amazing storyteller

More updates pls o

2 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by fiyah(f): 7:54pm On Sep 14, 2017
*EHI*

I succeeded to get her to repeat what she said after admitting proudly that I wasn't listening while shooting her an apologetic smile.

'Okay, here is the thing and you better be all ears this time around.' She said tentatively then started with all seriousness.

'Yesterday at David's place, his dad said something that actually made so much sense. Something I haven't thought about and that I should actually be thinking about.'

'What is it?' I asked while I remained attentive.

'He said something about a rumor. I am very sure it isn't a rumour because with his influence, he doesn't look like someone who spreads rumours.He is the director for goodness sake. I believe he used rumour as an euphemism for the truth.' She stopped then continued. 'So, he said my dad is planning to retire and it seems like he's planning to make my step brother his successor. I don't know what to think. But do you really think it's possible my Dad would want to make him his successor? Why would he do that? Even if he eventually do, what becomes of me?... Everything seems so insane, complex and just too complicated for me to comprehend. I don't even know what to think anymore....'

She was talking too fast and I discovered it was time I interrupt.

'Look, Rhoda. It isn't as complicated as you made it seem. It's pretty simple. You meet up with your Dad and you guys talk about it. Know what his decision is and act through that and not just on rumours. There isn't any harm asking and I'm sure he'd be pretty glad to have you talk to him about it. He'd tell you whether he plans on making you and Peter partners, or whether he'd be handling power to either of you. But I want you to know one thing, whatever his decision is, you'll be just fine.'I encouraged with a subtle smile.

'What if his plan is simply just for Peter? What if, he actually wants to make him his successor as rumours have it? I've been prepared for this my whole life. I have given it my all. I was so sure nothing could go wrong. At the early stages of my life, I've always thought I had a thing for broadcasting but here I am pursuing a career in Business Management thinking that way, I would be of more use to my Dad whose company I would lead someday. What happens if all these sacrifices get squashed because my Dad decides to suddenly just hate me?' She asked throwing her hands in the hair in exhaustion.

She wasn't angry. She was just all shade of worried.

For the first time since we've been having this conversation, Rhoda was being rational. She was focused and she really needs all the advice she could get. The right ones and not just what she wants to hear.

'Look, Rhoda. There's always a plan B. In fact, there are twenty six amazing letters in the English Alphabet. If one doesn't work, you move on to the next. If by chance, the worst happens, trust me you'd be fine. You need to have this at the back of your mind, your Dad loves irrespective of how weird he shows it.' I answered then I got an idea.

'You remembered that hilarious movie we watched at the cinema the other day. Lazer Squad or something?' I threw that at her sitting upright like that would make my point a lot more magical.

'Lazer Team you mean.' She said giggling. I understand her gigle had everything to do with each and every scenes in the movie.

I remembered it was 'Team'. I just didn't want her to be silent while I talked. I wanted to be sure she was attentive.

'There was this dude that had trained his whole life to be the Champion of Earth. He was so sure he was the champion of Earth. Everyone had no doubt either. He was the perfect Champion of Earth. He had the looks and the skills and everything needed to become the Champ. Then, out of the blues came four groups of pathetic and retarded idiots who were pronounced the Champs without earning the title with the even tiniest effort possible. They had nothing worth displaying as skills but they were still the Champs. Our dude was mad. He was angry and although he took him a while, he eventually did realise those retarded adults were the Champs and they would eventually save Earth. So, all he did was work with them. He coached them to victory because, in the end, all that mattered was Earth.' I felt proud of myself at my wonderfully delivered speech which had Rhoda giving unconscious, attentive nods.

'You are right. There is always a Plan B. Thanks Ehi.' She said thoughfully after a moment of silence which I guessed was used to digest my words.

'I should give my Dad a call.' She said and for reasons best known to her, left me where I was to place a call to her dad like I assumed inside the apartment.

5 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Honeydawealth(f): 7:59pm On Sep 14, 2017
Nice one....still I read...

2 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Slimeesha(f): 8:03pm On Sep 14, 2017
Food is ready...Thanks ma'am

2 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by bilirayz(f): 8:14pm On Sep 14, 2017
Thanks dearie,I love ur stories, can't seem to get more. Oliver twist

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by fiyah(f): 9:47pm On Sep 14, 2017
*RHODA*

I don't even know why I left Ehi outside to stay in kitchen all in the name of calling my dad. It's not even like I am trying to hide anything from her. She knows everything there is to know already but I still left anyway.

I think I just felt the need to have a private conversation with my dad especially after being strong headed for a while now and knowing fully well the conversation with him would come with a lot of remorsefulness and 're-bonding' which would be too embarrassing to me. Particularly before Ehi whom I sure as hell know would be making silly faces the whole time.

I closed the kitchen door behind me then leaned over it as I let my thumb do the swiping across my smart phone.

The 'Dad' contact icon stared at me in the face as I breathed in deeply, summoning the courage to tap it and get the conversation done with.

How hard could it possibly be swinging one's flag down in surrender?

Actually, it isn't even surrender.

It is being mature and additionally, according to Ehi's metaphor, being strong and rational in reasoning.

I will just agree that I'm mature enough to accept rejections and failures.

I closed my eyes and breathed in one last time then opened my eyes almost immediately and that wasn't because I was finally going to make the call. It was because my phone was ringing.

I had a call.

It was David.

'Hey' I said into the mouthpiece as I held the phone close to my ear and I could have sworn my voice sounded… odd.

I was trying to fake an excited voice but my vocal cords failed me. They succumbed to my emotions and gave me a flaky 'Hey' instead.

'Huh… Are you just going to say Hey? What happened to Cupcake and all those sweet jams u add?' He teased playfully then he paused abruptly like he just discovered something. 'Are you okay?' He asked suddenly sounding worried.

'I am fine. I am just having a little bit of a hard time calling my dad.' I could as well tell him. He was bound to find out anyway.

'You are going to call your dad? What happened to 'Hey, I am so not going to make peace with nobody if they don't try to make peace first.' What happened?' David asked making a voice impression of a dreadfully voiced person who I am starting to scare might be me.

'First of all, that is a terrible impression of me right there. And by terrible, I mean terribly terrible impression. Like, I almost lost my whole breakfast listening to you talk like that.' I started then continued. 'Secondly and most importantly, Ehi said some things. She made me see reasons why I should call my dad and make peace. I am starting to think I need to give my half brother a chance too. With me beside him, working under him, supporting him, we might as well just be unstoppable.' I said and for a moment, it was relieving listening to me say something like that.

'Hold on a second Rhoda. I want to be sure I heard you alright so, i'd be repeating what you are implying so that you can listen to yourself.' David said and the disbelief was quite evident in his voice.

'Rhoda, you are not calling your dad to probably ask him to see reasons with you on why you should be leading the company, you are not calling your dad to tell him how unfair it is on your part on choosing Peter, you are calling your dad to make peace? You are calling your dad to tell him you would support his decision in applauding your half brother up the ladder? You are calling your dad to tell him you quit?'

'Look, David. I know this sounds pretty stupid after everything I've been through but I can't help thinking it's the right call and Ehi seems to think so too. It is not even like I have another choice aside this…'

'You know what Rhoda, it doesn't sound pretty stupid. It is stupid! I mean, look at all the sacrifices we made! And I don't care what Ehi thinks cos I am beginning to think she probably forgot the sacrifices you made just to be here. It surprises me that she calls herself your best friend, yet she is willing to see you throw yourself in a well while she cheer you on!' He wasn't yelling but his voice was louder now and his anger was apparently in the air.

'I've always thought you knew what you wanted. You are.. I mean you were this strong willed girl who is willing to achieve the unachievable. You are… I mean were strong. I thought I was strong but you gave me a run for my strength. I admired you for that. I haven't told you this before but knowing what you want and getting it was one of the reasons why I couldn't help tripping for you but now, I am not sure who you are anymore!' His words cut through my chest and pierced my heart like a god's spear.

Was I really being stupid?

Do I really need to stay strong and not back down?

'Maybe I am just tired of fighting. David, I don't think I can keep doing this…'

'Baby, you can't be tired. You need to be strong. The company needs you now more than ever….' He wasn't angry anymore. He was calm and he is consoling me for some weird reasons.

'Your brother had been negligent of his duties. He has been forfeiting a lot of things. He seems distracted by the sudden power he got adorned with and if nobody takes the wheel while he continues like that, the company's ship will sink and there will be no saving it.' David added and I just had to pause and think about everything he said and it was then it dawned on me.

I was more than confused now.

The conflicting thoughts just kept messing with my head.

'So, baby before you make any drastic step you may end up regretting, you should think about this. Think about this very well and don't let anyone get in your head. For all we know, we are the only ones who know what we have been through.' He said once again while I remained mute.

'I'll see you this evening. Bye now.' He said and I also bade him goodbye before he finally hung up.

I sighed deeply then took another glance at my phone to see my dad's contact still staring back at me.

After what seemed like days, I put my phone on standby.

There was no way I was making any call with all these weird thoughts in my head.

5 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by aprilwise(m): 10:15pm On Sep 14, 2017
good job

2 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Slimberry123(f): 10:56pm On Sep 14, 2017
This david have hidden evil plans... well done fiyah

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Nobody: 10:59pm On Sep 14, 2017
David is a thief. Very greedy person. So he is dating her cos of her dad asset

2 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by datjohn(m): 12:20am On Sep 15, 2017
A Freakingly Engaging Piece!

The suspense,
The twists and turns,
The smooth flow of events,
The crafty skill of word usage,
The exceptional sense of narration,
Hmmm... And the list goes on.

Fiyah, U have an amazingly unique gift of story-telling that always makes it difficult for one not to fall in luv with you. I mean, your work. Your WORKS, GADDAMIT!!!

U just have ur way around this whole thing pretty good. And this is a thumbs-up frm me. kiss

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by iiru: 6:49am On Sep 15, 2017
nawa oo! OGA David, very bad advice you gave Rhoda, well done dear.

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Countrygirl(f): 7:40am On Sep 15, 2017
I'm just watching to see what David is up to.

Postponing his wedding and this evil advice
Fiyah, you are amazing.

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Funkebay: 9:18am On Sep 15, 2017
David is simply a thief

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Lildiamond: 12:37pm On Sep 15, 2017
I don't trust David and his dad. Pls more update

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by MichaelBlake40: 12:55pm On Sep 15, 2017
I have landed o. David seems desperate More drama enfolding.

1 Like

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by missuniverse(f): 3:42pm On Sep 15, 2017
Everyone picking on Dave...
Guess that's the second part Fiyah talked about

patiently waiting for third part as it unfolds
The Truth

3 Likes

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Dynamik007(m): 4:59pm On Sep 15, 2017
Countrygirl:

Fiyah, you are amazing.

� up Fiyah....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Dynamik007(m): 4:59pm On Sep 15, 2017
Countrygirl:

Fiyah, you are amazing.

� up Fiyah....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Three Sides Of A Coin by Osedagal(f): 9:24am On Sep 16, 2017
Nice story

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Lost in Lust [A story by Toyin Olorunsola] / STORY: Babe In Total Control / Delayed Diagnosis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.