Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,850 members, 7,798,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

Plz Petlanders,are These Pure Boerboels,advice Before I Buy It Today Plz - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Plz Petlanders,are These Pure Boerboels,advice Before I Buy It Today Plz (2044 Views)

Are you Planning on getting a dog? You need any advice before getting any dog? / Building My New Kernel.(pure Boerboels) / Super Male Boerboels For New.. Brindle And Fawn Available. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plz Petlanders,are These Pure Boerboels,advice Before I Buy It Today Plz by kennynoah1987(m): 6:52am On Sep 02, 2017
Plz im abt getting a female pup from these parents today,plz hit the nail on the head,tell me if they r pure or not,below r the parent and puppies pix,plz urgently comment lemme know

Re: Plz Petlanders,are These Pure Boerboels,advice Before I Buy It Today Plz by Lovetinz(m): 7:26am On Sep 02, 2017
Read this before you pay.
https://www.nairaland.com/4006961/nigeria-pet-passport-import-regulations#59745589

Does the parents/parent of the adorable pup have certifying papers?
Re: Plz Petlanders,are These Pure Boerboels,advice Before I Buy It Today Plz by kevinodili(m): 8:32am On Sep 02, 2017
Lovetinz:
Read this before you pay.
https://www.nairaland.com/4006961/nigeria-pet-passport-import-regulations#59745589

Does the parents/parent of the adorable pup have certifying papers?

wat re u saying....do u need papers to know pure breed??

2 Likes

Re: Plz Petlanders,are These Pure Boerboels,advice Before I Buy It Today Plz by Lovetinz(m): 8:35am On Sep 02, 2017
When imported, papers are required to specify the breed and whether its pure or mixed.
Re: Plz Petlanders,are These Pure Boerboels,advice Before I Buy It Today Plz by Greene66: 9:00am On Sep 02, 2017
Lovetinz:
When imported, papers are required to specify the breed and whether its pure or mixed.

This is so unrelated to the subject matter. Papers have nothing to so with breed standard and specification.

If you cannot identify a pure breed boerboel then wait that those who can, may identify.

@op I'm not a boerboel person so I really can't say but they look good.

2 Likes

Re: Plz Petlanders,are These Pure Boerboels,advice Before I Buy It Today Plz by bobbysaxy: 9:11am On Sep 02, 2017
Hello sir..after accessing all the pix u posted.Bobbysaxy is telling u to go ahead to buy d dog from whosoever u are buying it from...they are good dogs...Pls don't let anybody confuse u with all these pedigree trash....from the pix I am seeing...they are lovely dogs...am stamping them and I give u go ahead...I don't know the owner neither do I know the buyer...wen I see a good dog, It will be so unfair of me to condemn or confuse the buyer so I can sell mine which is so common these days.may God help us.and also ignore anybody trying to confuse or tell u "it's not about looks and all those junks"...buy dat good dog,feed well...care for it..see the dog from a beautiful perspective...and sky will be ur starting point..I will always support the hussle of others. Haters u are free to come up with ur nasty comments again...it is allowed

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Plz Petlanders,are These Pure Boerboels,advice Before I Buy It Today Plz by kennynoah1987(m): 9:19am On Sep 02, 2017
bobbysaxy:
Hello sir..after accessing all the pix u posted.Bobbysaxy is telling u to go ahead to buy d dog from whosoever u are buying it from...they are good dogs...Pls don't let anybody confuse u with all these pedigree trash....from the pix I am seeing...they are lovely dogs...am stamping them and I give u go ahead...I don't know the owner neither do I know the buyer...wen I see a good dog, It will be so unfair of me to condemn or confuse the buyer so I can sell mine which is so common these days.may God help us.and also ignore anybody trying to confuse or tell u "it's not about looks and all those junks"...buy dat good dog,feed well...care for it..see the dog from a beautiful perspective...and sky will be ur starting point..I will always support the hussle of others. Haters u are free to come up with ur nasty comments again...it is allowed
Baba i respect u sir,one love
Re: Plz Petlanders,are These Pure Boerboels,advice Before I Buy It Today Plz by Lovetinz(m): 9:29am On Sep 02, 2017
Greene66:

This is so unrelated to the subject matter. Papers have nothing to so with breed standard and specification.

If you cannot identify a pure breed boerboel then wait that those who can, may identify.

@op I'm not a boerboel person so I really can't say but they look good.

Are you concerned that your puppy might not be purebred?
Did you want a pedigree dog, but you are unsure whether that is what you have brought home?

In this article we are going to give advice to those wanting to know how to tell if a dog is purebred.

Is My Dog Purebred?

When you bring home a puppy, you are bringing a new member of the family into your life. You are going to love that little dog no matter what his or her ancestry is.

But what you have spent a lot of money or gone to a huge effort to find them, you might want to know that you have got what you paid for.

To understand whether your dog is purebred, you will need to know what this means.

Purebred Definition

The Oxford English Dictionary definition of purebred is

“An individual, esp. a domesticated animal, bred from parents of the same breed or variety”
When looking at dog breeds we can see that in order for a puppy to be purebred, both of his parents will need to have been of the same breed. For example, a purebred Shih Tzu bred with another purebred Shih Tzu.

The puppy’s parents, grandparents and great-grandparents all need to have Shih Tzu ancestry in order for him to be a purebred Shih Tzu.
What Does Purebred Mean?

Whilst this dictionary definition of purebred is quite clear, what does purebred mean for your puppy?

It does mean that your puppy has a known type. So you can have a good idea of his final size, stature and shape. That he will probably have certain traits, like a guarding temperament in guarding breeds, or an inclination to fetch in retrievers.
How To Tell If A Dog Is Purebred

If you have brought home a new puppy or dog and want to know whether they are purebred or not, then there are three main things that you can do.

Compare him with the breed standard
Check his pedigree papers
Arrange a DNA test

Taking a good look at your dog and comparing his attributes with the breed standard is a simple first step. Though one that is not ideal for reasons we will study now.
Comparing Your Dog With The Breed Standard

Every dog breed club has a breed standard laid out, for what they think the ideal version of their type of dog should look like.

To decide whether your dog looks like a pedigree dog, you can compare him with this breed standard.

Most breed standards come with diagrams showing certain features, and a brief description of personality traits.

Unfortunately though, this is not a very accurate way of making sure.

Because some completely purebred dogs do not look very much like the breed standard. And some cross bred dogs can match up extremely well, purely through genetic chance.

I have known several working Labrador Retrievers who have excellent pedigrees going back for generations, but whose long faces and lean bodies leave them looking more Vizsla than Labs.

Purebred dogs can also be ‘mismarked’ in terms of their coloring. So you can get a dog who is entirely purebred, but have flecks of color on his chest or feet that the breed standard doesn’t allow.

This does not mean he is not purebred, just that a show judge for the breed would consider his markings to be a fault if you ever took him into the ring.

Likewise I have known a Spaniel / Collie cross, who looked entirely Border Collie and not at all Springer.

So whilst you can get a general idea of the type of dog you have through studying their looks, they can be quite misleading.

Signs Of A Purebred Dog

There are no real visual signs of a purebred dog. Whilst you can compare with the breed standard, some mutts will have the same signs as dogs whose ancestors were the same breed for generations.

A purebred dog will not be ‘better’ than any other dog, or give clear signals of their breed status.

They only ways to check the signs of a purebred dog are to look at their pedigree papers.

The KC or AKC will only register purebred dogs as pedigrees. So if your breeder gave you a pedigree when you brought your puppy, then in all likelihood they are purebred.

Pedigrees give details of five generations of your dogs ancestors, showing exactly who they were and any accomplishments they may have gained during their lifetimes.

This system only falls down when breeders are dishonest. This is a rare occurrence, but it can happen. Where a breeder has a litter from one stud dog, but informs that Kennel Club that it was sired by a different dog.

If your puppy looks vastly different to you have expected, then there is another way to check. And that’s by ordering a DNA test.
Dog DNA Testing

You can now send off for DNA testing for dogs.

There are a few places online offering this service, or you can order a home kit from Amazon.

This kit gives information on the breeds of your dog’s ancestors back to great-grandparents. It also gives an adult weight prediction, which can be helpful if you have a mixed breed puppy with an unknown final expected size.
Where To Find Purebred Dogs

The best place to find a purebred dog or puppy is through a breeder. Someone who has an interest in promoting the welfare of the breed, and a reputation of good standing that they are invested in keeping in tact.

They are the most likely person to have carried out lots of health tests, and to want to only breed from dogs with the best possible temperament and structure for the breed.

When you pick your new puppy, make sure that the breeder shows you their pedigree certificate. Ask to see the mother, and at least photos of the father if he doesn’t live at the same site. They should also be able to provide you with a mating certificate to prove that the stud dog she claims if the father actually is.

Choose a puppy that looks how you want him to look. If you don’t like that litter for any reason, then there is no harm in finding another.

But remember, personal taste aside, appearances only really matter if you are hoping to have a puppy win prizes in the show ring.
Purebred Rescue Dogs

It is possible to rescue a purebred dog from breed specific rescue societies, and occasionally from general dog societies.

Unless your new rescue dog comes with a pedigree or DNA test though, you won’t know for certain whether he is purebred or not as most rescues won’t have a great deal of history on the dogs that come through their hands.

If you really care about whether a dog is purebred or not, then a breeder might be a more appropriate option for you than a rescue dog.

Does It Matter If My Dog Is Not Purebred?

Your dog couldn’t care less who his grandparents or even his parents were. He is not interested in the reason his coat is curly, or his ears flop. He just wants to live a happy, healthy life with you.

I sincerely hope that whether your dog is purebred, cross bred, or a total mystery mix, that you will love and cherish him just the same.

Because his most important role can be carried out regardless of whether or not he is purebred – he is still your companion and your friend.

https://thehappypuppysite.com/how-to-tell-if-a-dog-is-purebred/
Re: Plz Petlanders,are These Pure Boerboels,advice Before I Buy It Today Plz by youngreva(m): 9:48am On Sep 02, 2017
They are damn pure go for it

1 Like

Re: Plz Petlanders,are These Pure Boerboels,advice Before I Buy It Today Plz by Scrooge(m): 2:29pm On Sep 02, 2017
The puppies are decent, go for it! Don't forget that feeding is as important as genetics in growth and development. Feed a high protein diet and they should turn out better than their parents. Good luck.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Quality Caucasian Shepherd Puppies For Sale / Rabbit Bites Snake To Release It's Baby / 7 Months Black Male German Shepherd For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.