Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,024 members, 7,799,499 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:45 PM

How To Set Up A Restaurant - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Set Up A Restaurant (13487 Views)

See The Prize Of Chin Chin In A Restaurant In Lekki (photo) / Hilarious Restaurant Name! / What Annoys You Most At A Restaurant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Set Up A Restaurant by RESTAURANTMANAGER(m): 11:01am On Feb 23, 2010
The restaurant business is quite an interesting one, however millions of persons are still in the dark as to how, where and when to start. These grey areas I will clear with series of topics and discussions, just sit tight and watch out.
Re: How To Set Up A Restaurant by RESTAURANTMANAGER(m): 11:52am On Feb 23, 2010
OWNING A RESTAURANT

Before you open your own restaurant there are many aspects that need to be addressed, to assure success. Here’s a list of available resources to help you in your new restaurant start-up.
Deciding if Owning a Restaurant is Right for You
Restauranting is hard work. It may seem glamorous and fun, but it all will summarized down to hard work. Anyone in the food business will tell you about long hours they put into it. It’s important to understand all the various jobs that are involved in running a restaurant. From recordkeeping, to production to PR, as the owner you are responsible for it all.
“Oh, I’ve always wanted to own my own restaurant!” people will always say. “It must be so fun!” Restauranting is more of a calling rather than a job. And even those who think they are called to it, are often times completely unprepared for the amount of work and stress that comes with being a restaurant owner. Of course, there are a great many benefits to being your own boss.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Set Up A Restaurant by RESTAURANTMANAGER(m): 11:55am On Feb 23, 2010
There are a few key characteristics that define a good restaurant owner.
1. They like people. They enjoy chatting with their customers, and have no problem listening to complaints with a sympathetic ear.
2. They are good at multitasking. It seems like the term multitasking is everywhere these days. It is definitely in the restaurant business. As an owner you need to be able to answer the phone, take care of customers, fix broken equipment (or know who to call to fix it) track inventory and pay the vendors. And that is just in one morning!
3. They thrive on stress. If you can’t handle stress, then don’t even think about opening your own restaurant! Every job has some sort of stress, but owning a restaurant brings it to a whole new level. You find yourself worrying about everything thing that goes on in the restaurant, from the staff arguments to finding good cooks. When its busy you worry about the staff’s service, when it’s slow you worry about money. When it’s hot, you worry about getting a working cooling system for customers. Worry and stress go hand in hand. A good restaurant owner knows how to handle the stress of the job and not let it consume him or her.
Re: How To Set Up A Restaurant by RESTAURANTMANAGER(m): 8:16pm On Feb 23, 2010
Benefits of Being a Restaurant Owner
• Having your own restaurant is like raising a child. No one will take as much interest and pride in it as you will. You will love, love, love hearing how people enjoy coming to your restaurant. I think there are few jobs that can offer as much personal joy, as a successful business.
• Being you own boss is another wonderful benefit, so long as you are responsible. I’ve been my own boss for so long; I actually cringe at the thought of having someone tell me what to do. Of course, being your own boss means that all decisions, good and bad, fall on your shoulders.
• As a local business owner, you get to meet a lot of people. If your restaurant is in your hometown, you get to visit with friends and neighbors. A restaurant is a community gathering spot, and that sense of community can be very rewarding. However this potential is yet to be fully harnessed in this part of the world.
Re: How To Set Up A Restaurant by RESTAURANTMANAGER(m): 1:41pm On Feb 24, 2010
lAST TIME WE LOOKED AT THE BENEFITS OF RUNNING A RESTAURANT. Today, we shall be looking about the draw backs of being a restaurant owner.

Drawbacks of Being a Restaurant Owner
I would not want to mislead you into thinking that being a restaurant owner is all fun and games and free food. There are many drawbacks to consider, including:
• Long Days and Nights- As the owner of a new restaurant you will be putting in very long days and evenings to make sure everything goes smoothly. And even when you are home, plan to be on the phone with the restaurant several times a day.
• Kiss Your Weekends Goodbye- Weekends are the busy time for most restaurant, though this may depend on the location. Think long and hard about the time you will miss, if you work all weekend.
• Unstable Income- If business slows down, and your checkbook is in the red, guess who is first to go without a check? The owner. The person, who does the most work, is the person who is often paid the least. Of course, having a good saving before you go into business can help you avoid this situation.
• Lack of Benefits- Insurance is a major concern for all small business owners. Not only will you have to buy private insurance, you will need to figure out how you want to save for retirement fund, since you won’t have a salary to fall back on from and employer anymore. Again, preplanning for these expenses before you go into business can help a great deal.
So there it is…the pros and cons of owning your own restaurant. Like any career it has some great benefits, as well as some major drawbacks. It’s up to you to decide if it’s the right path to take.

1 Like

Re: How To Set Up A Restaurant by RESTAURANTMANAGER(m): 8:33pm On Mar 07, 2010
Restaurant Marketing
MARKETING
Advertise your grand opening, and be sure to notate and correct any problems that arise when they occur, so that you may improve service and become more efficient. Open your doors, and make some money.
If you are trying to market a new restaurant and you do not have a large marketing budget, these tips are for you. You will be shown you highly effective ways to market a new restaurant for very little money
1. Step 1
*Free samples, yes free samples.
The first thing you want to do is make a list of close area businesses, offices, retail stores, and service shops. Anywhere near you that people work and eat lunch. Then set a goal of delivering samples to two places a day with a menu for free, until you hit each place on your list.
2. Step 2
*Free door to door delivery.
Yes delivery, the easier you make it for people to get and order your food the more daily sales you will ring up. Start with walking distance. Offer delivery to all of those places you brought free samples.
3. Step 3
*Discounted meal gift certificates.
Offer those businesses discounted gift certificates that they can give away to customers or employees. Offer N1200 gift certificates to them for N600. Yes, you will lose a little money at first but it will drive traffic to your business.
4. Step 4
*Follow up with your new business relationships.
When you add a new item to your menu, make sure all of those places get free samples. Honestly if you give out free samples to those businesses every month or every two months as you increase your territory, you will build a ton of business.
Tips & Warnings
• When taking samples you do not need to bring 20 meals. Bring your specialty in small sample servings.
• Try to do the entire sample with menu deliveries yourself for the first couple of months. So you can build strong relationships with the other business owners or managers.
Re: How To Set Up A Restaurant by mamagee3(f): 12:08am On Mar 08, 2010
Owning a restaurant business is the most hectic job one can ever have or dream of
Anyway Congrats at your position
Re: How To Set Up A Restaurant by RESTAURANTMANAGER(m): 8:25pm On Mar 13, 2010
Its true that it is quite hectic, however a systemic approach at running a restaurant will cut down drastically most of the stress. For example the restaurant should be divided into sections or department depending on the size of the restaurant, there should be someone responsible for each section or department. A restaurant manual will go a long way in becoming a road map for such a restaurant, both for new and old staff alike. I wish you the best.

1 Like

Re: How To Set Up A Restaurant by mindworx: 1:58pm On Mar 13, 2011
Dear Restaurant Manager,

I have combed the whole of Nairaland and your topic is the one i've been looking for.

Can i own a restaurant even though i've not been in the food business? Can i employ the service a restaurant manager? On the average, what figure would you advise for a startup capital (without rent) in Lagos? What are the required items (list) to setup a standard restaurant ?

Pls reply. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How To Set Up A Restaurant by kimmi11: 9:04am On Jan 11, 2012
Las Vegas is my favorite destination for spending holidays and vacations.Possibly, the main reason for enjoying holidays in Las Vegas is beautiful Beaches and Night Clubs.
South Beach Nightclub
Re: How To Set Up A Restaurant by babytejiri(m): 6:12am On Jul 22, 2015
djoplk
Re: How To Set Up A Restaurant by aydelicious: 8:49pm On Jul 22, 2015
RESTAURANTMANAGER:
Its true that it is quite hectic, however a systemic approach at running a restaurant will cut down drastically most of the stress. For example the restaurant should be divided into sections or department depending on the size of the restaurant, there should be someone responsible for each section or department. A restaurant manual will go a long way in becoming a road map for such a restaurant, both for new and old staff alike. I wish you the best.
hhmmmm, these are wisdoms
Re: How To Set Up A Restaurant by aydelicious: 8:51pm On Jul 22, 2015
RESTAURANTMANAGER:
Restaurant Marketing
MARKETING
Advertise your grand opening, and be sure to notate and correct any problems that arise when they occur, so that you may improve service and become more efficient. Open your doors, and make some money.
If you are trying to market a new restaurant and you do not have a large marketing budget, these tips are for you. You will be shown you highly effective ways to market a new restaurant for very little money
1. Step 1
*Free samples, yes free samples.
The first thing you want to do is make a list of close area businesses, offices, retail stores, and service shops. Anywhere near you that people work and eat lunch. Then set a goal of delivering samples to two places a day with a menu for free, until you hit each place on your list.
2. Step 2
*Free door to door delivery.
Yes delivery, the easier you make it for people to get and order your food the more daily sales you will ring up. Start with walking distance. Offer delivery to all of those places you brought free samples.
3. Step 3
*Discounted meal gift certificates.
Offer those businesses discounted gift certificates that they can give away to customers or employees. Offer N1200 gift certificates to them for N600. Yes, you will lose a little money at first but it will drive traffic to your business.
4. Step 4
*Follow up with your new business relationships.
When you add a new item to your menu, make sure all of those places get free samples. Honestly if you give out free samples to those businesses every month or every two months as you increase your territory, you will build a ton of business.
Tips & Warnings
• When taking samples you do not need to bring 20 meals. Bring your specialty in small sample servings.
• Try to do the entire sample with menu deliveries yourself for the first couple of months. So you can build strong relationships with the other business owners or managers.
you are right with what so ever you said.
Re: How To Set Up A Restaurant by aydelicious: 8:53pm On Jul 22, 2015
RESTAURANTMANAGER:
OWNING A RESTAURANT

Before you open your own restaurant there are many aspects that need to be addressed, to assure success. Here’s a list of available resources to help you in your new restaurant start-up.
Deciding if Owning a Restaurant is Right for You
Restauranting is hard work. It may seem glamorous and fun, but it all will summarized down to hard work. Anyone in the food business will tell you about long hours they put into it. It’s important to understand all the various jobs that are involved in running a restaurant. From recordkeeping, to production to PR, as the owner you are responsible for it all.
“Oh, I’ve always wanted to own my own restaurant!” people will always say. “It must be so fun!” Restauranting is more of a calling rather than a job. And even those who think they are called to it, are often times completely unprepared for the amount of work and stress that comes with being a restaurant owner. Of course, there are a great many benefits to being your own boss.
I feel it.
Re: How To Set Up A Restaurant by ultrazone(m): 3:41am On Apr 11, 2017
Re: How To Set Up A Restaurant by konews: 12:03pm On Feb 07, 2021

(1) (Reply)

Pineapple Juice Vs Orange Juice / Does Anyone Know Where I Can Purchase Quail Eggs? / Can A Woman Cook A Delicious Soup With N500?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.