Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:06 AM

Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? (12511 Views)

Is Hellfire Enough Deterrent For Sin? / The Only Antidote For Sin / Are Natural Disasters God's Way Of Punishing The World For Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Benekruku(m): 10:04am On Sep 03, 2017
Fiction at play!

Deliberating on what is not even proven to exist!

Mental slavery!

Heaven, Hell, Paradise....... cheesy cheesy cheesy Who e epp?

1 Like

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Barywhyte(m): 10:05am On Sep 03, 2017
OP do you believe the account of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah in Gen 19 and total extermination of the First World through flood in Gen 7? Was it that every inhabitants of those days were so terribly bad that only 8 people survived the flood? If you believe these events which were brought upon humans by the Creator himself, why is hard for you to believe that he will do the same same thing and even beyond?

God is merciful so says the Bible. The same bible also calls him a consuming fire. God is still stretching forth his hands of salvation for humanity and we keep rejecting him every second but the Bible says as many that were able to accept him as their personal lord and saviour, to them he give power to become the children of God and they have crossed from death to life.

As for weather hell is eternal or not, I believe that there is going to be one eternity at the end of age. Because there is only one eternity and that is God. Hell may rage on for thousands or millions of years but it won't be for all eternity

Peace

2 Likes

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by uboma(m): 10:09am On Sep 03, 2017
rottennaija:

I agree totally. However, there are sins ones can flee flee from. Idolatry, fornication, adultery, homosexuality etc. This are the sins the Bible deals with, not the ones we cannot control but ones we can control and even people that are not Bible incline frown on

Sin actually starts from the heart and if nurtured, the action (sin) is then expressed or committed.

So bro, from the moment one looks lustfully at a woman, he has committed either fornication or adultery.

Most of our home videos are laced with spiritistic undertones. I am aware that most persons will not physically visit a herbalists even when advised by family and close pals. But these same persons, within the comfort of their homes, watch these spiritistic movies. To me, idolatry is being encouraged here.

So bro, sin starts from the heart.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by MrScribe: 10:11am On Sep 03, 2017
thesicilian:
If you are already aware of the punishment for a crime before you still go ahead to commit it, on what basis then would you argue that the punishment is unfair?

What sort of lame argument is this. So thieves do not know that stealing is bad and may make them go to jail? And do you sentence a pickpocket to death for pickpocketing?

If you read the OP, you will see the sense in it. A just God will punish you based on the severity of your crime. He won't create the same punishment (eternal, for that matter) for all crimes.

Would you call a God just when he sends a man who stole nonstop for 70 years to go and burn forever and ever. What is just about such a wicked and unjust sentence?

3 Likes

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by rottennaija(m): 10:13am On Sep 03, 2017
uboma:

Sin actually starts from the heart and if nurtured, the action (sin) is then expressed or committed.

So bro, from the moment one looks lustfully at a woman, he has committed either fornication or adultery.

Most of our home videos are laced with spiritistic undertones. I am aware that most persons will not physically visit a herbalists even when advised by family and close pals. But these same persons, within the comfort of their homes, watch these spiritistic movies. To me, idolatry is being encouraged here.

So bro, sin starts from the heart.

And yet can be controlled.
I am glad you use the word 'if nutured'. The question isn't where it states from, the question is, do you go through with it? Or do you fizzle out? Can you control it? Can you bring your thoughts and feelings into subjection with God's will or do you have the "I don't care" spirit?

Many are able to, others do not care.

1 Like

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by KinzyeWriter(m): 10:15am On Sep 03, 2017
einsteino:

this really got me thinking. . i think it is just a story made up by men to scare them. much like how we fabricated stories of evil forest that are now the high brow areas of our respective cities.
You nailed it

1 Like

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by hopefulLandlord: 10:17am On Sep 03, 2017
rottennaija:

I am glad you use the word 'if nutured'. The question isn't where it states from, the question is, do you go through with it? Or do you fizzle out? Can you control it? Can you bring your thoughts and feelings into subjection with God's will or do you have the "I don't care" spirit?

you serve a god you said knows the future, that means he already knows you'll sin even before you do

and your post is very very funny, didn't your Jesus make it clear that you don't even have to go through with the act before you've sinned? aren't you forgetting that? the part where he said anyone that looks at a woman lustfully has already sinned?

hey, I know you're going through cognitive dissonance

1 Like

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by uboma(m): 10:18am On Sep 03, 2017
rottennaija:

We do not always win with the struggles to ward off sin.

The spirit may be eager but the flesh is weak....

My point again is, no Man born from a woman is truly free of sin.

We live by the grace of God

1 Like

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by KinzyeWriter(m): 10:19am On Sep 03, 2017
specter:
God is neither a Christain, Pagan, Jew, Buddhist, a Muslim nor Scientologist.
Who is God? There are well over 4600 religion in the world , and they all hold or lay claim to One supreme being, who created the Heavens and the Earth, made man in His own image and likeness and breath upon man.
I have taking time to read about well over 2000 religion and it's all confusing.
In all, I only came to One conclusion, and that is the supremacy of Religion.
Just like the Muslim terrorist are currently waging wars for what they believe in, Christain once did same all over Europe and Africa in the name of Christianity and the God they believed in. So why fight for a God who can fight for him self?
Ain't we all hypocrites?
Desmond Tutu in his book " God is not a Christain " gave an apt elucidation on why he verily believes God is not a Christain , and I don't believe God had religion either. The only religion God respects is humanity.
Would I become less kind if I stop religious affinity ad serve man kind?
I don't think so.
There is only one battle, and that is the battle between the well over 4500 religion for the soul of man.
Would love Chritains and fratanize with them if you were born a core northern Muslim? I don't think so.
Serve humanity cos at the end of the day, that's what really matters.
Nice one bro

1 Like

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Fearlez: 10:20am On Sep 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Hell always sounded like a cynical marketing ploy designed to make people afraid to leave or displease the particular sect. And it seemed to really kill empathy - 'god says they burn, they burn' doesn't make me think of someone being full of love and compassion and all that.

Eternal punishment for finite transgressions always seemed abusive to me. How can someone look at the idea of a being who would condemn people to that and call it love?

Even when I was a Christian Hell was just too weird for me to accept. Infinite punishment for finite offenses is an eye for an eye on steroids. Punishing people for disobeying nit-picky rules makes God an abusive parent. One reason often given for punishment is to teach the offender not to offend again, but if punishment is eternal then how can the offender benefit from this teaching? Jesus is supposed to be into forgiveness but forgiveness shouldn't involve eternal suffering. Hell isn’t redemptive, it isn’t leading to repentance, it’s simply pain for pain’s sake.

I love this quote: “Heaven and hell seem out of proportion to me: the actions of men do not deserve so much.”

and of course I get the rationalisation of hell by Christians saying its moral accountability and saying bad people go to hell;
that's nonsense and they know it!!!

If Yahweh is real and omniscient, that means he already decided that we're going to hell before he even created us. But if this omniscient deity allows for deathbed conversions, then it doesn't matter what kind of life you lead. You could be a brutal dictator who massacred tens of millions of people, yet still get into heaven if you tell Jesus you're sorry. Your victims could all go to hell for eternity if they never repented. That's how bleeped up Christian morality is.

Maybe Christians can answer a few questions for me. The Bible says that there is ONLY ONE way to get into Heaven: by accepting salvation through Jesus.

[s]So it follows that the Christians who ran the Nazi death camps can get into heaven. But their 6 million Jewish victims must burn for all eternity in the pits of Hell. I've talked to many Christians about this and they just pretty much accept it.[/s]

My questions are:

1. How f***ed up do you have to be to believe Nazis can go to Heaven but their 6 million Jewish victims must burn? That's just sick. But Christians believe it. What the f*** is wrong with you people?

2. Why would ANYONE willingly worship a god that would act like that? Is it just a fear thing (better known as cowardice)? And

3. Even if you get into Heaven what makes you think you'll be safe with a psycho god like that running the place? What's to stop your god getting a wild hair up his ass one day and sending Christians to a place so bad it makes Hell look like an ice cream parlor? He used to like the Jews too. Or so the story claims. What makes you think you're safe?

You ruined your argument with so many misconceptions. The Christian who ran Nazi camp you said. The people who carried out the killing of 6 million Jews in death chambers are no more Christians beyond their verbal profession.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by 9japrof(m): 10:22am On Sep 03, 2017
angry
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by hopefulLandlord: 10:25am On Sep 03, 2017
Fearlez:

You ruined your argument with so many misconceptions. The Christian who ran Nazi camp you said. The people who carried out the killing of 6 million Jews in death chambers are no more Christians beyond their verbal profession.

no! that's not how it works, they were majorly christians, most of Germany at the time were Christians, most of the soldiers that fought for Hitler were Christians unless you're the type that says no Christian should ever join the military

what you're trying to do here is pull the no true Scotsman fallacy and even if its true, I said they "can" make heaven, I didn't put a certainty there but I'm pretty sure they stand a better chance than the Jews that were killed as they were adherents of Judaism

5 Likes

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by PatriotTemidayo: 10:26am On Sep 03, 2017
I am a christian, and believe it when I said that I Love God above anything else but as for me, I dont believe in hell. I believe that life transforms, and the spirit in us called soul moves within realms and the entire journey of man is like a dream, from one dimension to another, even living in the same dimension twice or more without remembering past lives.

Like I said, that is my opinion.

God Is Supreme but religions twisted our brains and mess up our minds.

What if God Is not what religions have painted for us, What if God is a friend, Just like our shadow, our guide during sleep and when we dream at night, like our vehicle when we travel in thought, sitting in a room and thinking about ten thousand kilometers away.

What if God Is The Unseen "PRESENCE" that stick around us whether sinner or saint. What if God Is a friend of all?

What if He Has No concern self-righteousness?

What if He's The God of all flesh and doesn't discriminate as the religions does. What if He Provide for the tyrants, just like he provide for the meek. But leave nature to take its pounds of flesh from the wicked here on earth.

Non of us have gone to hell and back, all the story about NEAR-DEATH EXPERIENCE are what they are, NEAR DEATH.

Only God Knows These things, let nobody be too confident in judging anyone else.

What if God Is a friend and God of all.

6 Likes

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by rottennaija(m): 10:27am On Sep 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

you serve a god you said knows the future, that means he already knows you'll sin even before you do

and your post is very very funny, didn't your Jesus make it clear that you don't even have to go through with the act before you've sinned? aren't you forgetting that? the part where he said anyone that looks at a woman lustfully has already sinned?

hey, I know you're going through cognitive dissonance

Glad you use the expression lustfully. Do you?
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Nobody: 10:31am On Sep 03, 2017
Be careful dear humans. There is no hell except the one you create in your mind, and whatever you think of, comes into existence once fueled with feelings of emotional nature and kept in ether for up to 9 seconds. No matter what I do in this life, I will never be in any hell, cos I never created one.

The Occult inventors of religions, seeks to trap your soul as the plasma you generate from trauma can be tapped to run astral machines, so to recycle your soul, hell has to be generated from your creative thoughts by writing those great holy books and inserting hell there, as millions of people read it and think it, it becomes created.

Anything created by thought becomes a bubble and as much people give feelings to it, thought-forms comes alive. So, go ahead and think of hell if you want to end up in the bubble. How do you know its a bubble ? Yes very simple. You can not tell me the planet, the solar system, the Galaxy and the Star Constellation that Hell is location. Which country ? Which Planet ? Tell me the address. So it is with Heaven, our creation and a bubble.

But if you are confusing where we came from and where we are heading when we die ? That is the real heavenly home, the paradise of sort. You can not go anywhere else except home after you are through with your Human Experience, but the religion overloards, the occult creators of all relgions are introducing near truth decoys and constructs to make you stay in line and stop questioning. So they can enjoy all the lives while you suffer to pay them tithes.

It is a free world, mugu fall and guy man chop. That is what they say. Pay your tithes and offerings and the MOGs enjoy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by uboma(m): 10:32am On Sep 03, 2017
rottennaija:

Glad you use the expression lustfully. Do you?

Are you implying that you have not lusted after the opposite sex in past?
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Wilgrea7(m): 10:34am On Sep 03, 2017
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by sukkot: 10:34am On Sep 03, 2017
that hell will be smelling like suya. lots of roasted meat. maybe angel gabriel will just throw onion and tomato and suya pepper in their to make it all exiciting and yummy

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5907389_58548374744379c0b3cd3c421042dc8ea192550a6d1f561478000000d90905cbe8tmpjpeg682b3be36e3891ad46fa8e298b0932f1jpeg0f8092d72a4b4bd04802e23c2db9109e_jpeg3ad7acc05d357e2313fe9ecb6c29ad85
ITS ALL ALLEGORY

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by thesicilian: 10:36am On Sep 03, 2017
MrScribe:

What sort of lame argument is this. So thieves do not know that stealing is bad and may make them go to jail? And do you sentence a pickpocket to death for pickpocketing?

If you read the OP, you will see the sense in it. A just God will punish you based on the severity of your crime. He won't create the same punishment (eternal, for that matter) for all crimes.

Would you call a God just when he sends a man who stole nonstop for 70 years to go and burn forever and ever. What is just about such a wicked and unjust sentence?
My opinion stands.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by dabeto: 10:37am On Sep 03, 2017
The near zero LIKE on comments show that man is confuse about life after now, is uncertain about what awaits him after death and or does not know what goes on in the grave. Religion has only taken us thus far, but imbue fear in man on his journey to eternity.
No religion has truly explain life after death to the satisfaction of everyone and so we pander here and there in our search for truth.
My advice; Love this unseen God with all your heart and love your neighbor (humanity) as thy self. This itself is the only commandment from God.
Leave the rest to God for His mercy will decide your fate here after. Shalom.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by tete7000(m): 10:37am On Sep 03, 2017
uboma:

Why have you chosen to twist the words of God as written in the Bible?

Expatriate and tell me what I twisted so that I can help you understand.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by gdguy: 10:37am On Sep 03, 2017
Hell is originally designed for Devil and his angels (called demons) who rebelled against God. Hell is a punishment for sins. Because of the severity of the punishment of Hell, and the great love that God has for mankind, that is why he suffered the pain of sending his only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, into the world to reconcile man to himself and save all mankind from the punishment of Hell. All we only need to do is believe that Jesus has paid for our sins and turned away from evils. Through this, our sins will be forgiven and we can now begin to live a new life in Christ. The grace of God that makes it difficult to go back to sin will be released upon us and we can continue to enjoy fellowship with Christ till death or His Second Coming, whichever comes first. God knows the horror of Hell; that is why when Jesus, at His hour of death, sought God to change His plan for Him( Jesus) to face the death of the cross; God turned down His request. Yes, God is merciful but His love is above his mercy. If God could bear the pain of His only Son suffer the agony of crucifixion; then my brothers, He could as well bear the pain of agony of sinners in Hell who refused to repent and be converted while on the earth, despite several chances to do so.

2 Likes

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by uboma(m): 10:45am On Sep 03, 2017
tete7000:

Expatriate and tell me what I twisted so that I can help you understand.

You need help first to understand the Bible before thinking of helping others.

You cannot give what you do not have.

Stop twisting the Bible to suit your doctrine
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Fearlez: 10:48am On Sep 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

no! that's not how it works, they were majorly christians, most of Germany at the time were Christians, most of the soldiers that fought for Hitler were Christians unless you're the type that says no Christian should ever join the military

what you're trying to do here is pull the no true Scotsman fallacy and even if its true, I said they "can" make heaven, I didn't put a certainty there but I'm pretty sure they stand a better chance than the Jews that were killed as they were adherents of Judaism

Everlasting punishment by fire is still a doctrinal melee within some branches of Christianity

The chances of the soldiers making heaven is as open as the murdered jews; repentance.

Hope you're not hanging on the shaky excuse that it was an act of war as even within secular laws, the act was a crime; a serious one.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by chuksjuve(m): 11:16am On Sep 03, 2017
From the comments I have read so far:
Here are my deductions;
1. Most are ignorant of the nature and attributes of God
2. Christianity of this age worldwide has been diluted that it has become useless.

God have mercy on us
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by tete7000(m): 11:29am On Sep 03, 2017
uboma:

You need help first to understand the Bible before thinking of helping others.

You cannot give what you do not have.

Stop twisting the Bible to suit your doctrine

You are simply a stupid person who needs no further reply. Stupidly foolish, ignorant, blind and brainwashed. What do you know about the subject matter? Nothing, but your idiotic pride won't let you be helped. Can you please stay off me? Nonsense!
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Wilgrea7(m): 11:30am On Sep 03, 2017
is an eternal hell an ok punishment for sins regardless of how little ? if yes.. then i have a question

Christians are supposed to be Christ like and act like Christ.. Christ will burn sinners regardless of the sins and those who didn't believe in him for all eternity.. is it ok for a Christian to adopt such attributes? is it ok for a Christian mother to burn or cut her son finger by finger everyday for stealing a pencil? after all she gave birth to him and has been taking care of him since day one.. will she be regarded as wicked to you? is it ok to torture the child day in day out for a total of 20 days provided he doesn't die.. morning.. afternoon.. evening.. night.. continuous torture for 20 days.. is it not justified? can it be seen as ok.. can it be seen as imitating Christ? just for 20 days.. talkless of eternity.. if its wrong, then why is it wrong? shouldn't we adopt divine principles here on earth? what moral ground do you stand to say she is wrong.. its her child.. suffered for 9 months.. paid all his bills.. clothed him.. why is it wrong? if its right, then why aren't you practicing it?
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Kokaine(m): 11:32am On Sep 03, 2017
all these dudes dont know what they are saying. you think God created you to question Him and advice Him about what is fair or kind or good or just?
you are a slave of God! if it was His will, He would punish you in Hell forever and these considerations of what is fair or not will not do justice to the reality of it.
the reality is: on planet earth, there is gravity, it doesnt matter if a grown up man jumps down from a height or an innocent baby is thrown down from that height, they will both die. why dont we ask that God should have created gravity to detect a child from an adult? why dont we ask that God should have created all men to last six hours during sex and ejaculate when they want? why dont we ask that God should have made us with wings so we could fly? why dont we ask that God should make good people live forever and never die. what you define as fairness stops in your heads. God has absolute authority over all things. If He will show a man mercy, it is His will, If he will punish a person, it is His will.

He said : Tell the people that I am indeed the often forgiven and the most merciful, and then that my punishment is the most severe.

let us fear God as much as we can in hope that He shows us mercy rather than trying to debate on whether or not the rain should fall or the sun should shine. our conclusions and refusal to worship Him does not remove the absolute powers He has over us. it doesn't change a thing.

Allah said to the last prophet : Tell my slaves that I am indeed what they think of me. so let them assume whatever they like.

that means if you have an opinion about Allah as merciful and put your hope in Him, He will be Merciful to you. and you who thinks of Allah as unfair and unjust, you may just get what you believe.

Allah has indeed informed us of the temporal nature of this life. and that the concept of eternity is what He has created for mankind. so think more of the eternity and what you wish from Allah than trying to debate about concepts you hardly know anything of.

2 Likes

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by 989900: 11:39am On Sep 03, 2017
There is no hell fire, get over it already, ah!
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by murphyibiam15(m): 11:40am On Sep 03, 2017
Josephjnr:
Fair or not,he is unquestionable. Sometimes I imagine if being god is a political portfolio someone is voted in or out,Jehovah and Allah for no win any election again. They(if the exist) have failed us and we need new spiritual leaders (gods). Hahahaha.
grin grin grin; grin

2 Likes

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Freeze007(m): 11:40am On Sep 03, 2017
Very very Good question however bear in mind that we are a product of nearly BILLION OR MORE YEARS OF AGE which literally means He Has shown great His merciful nature no doubt. Secondly, if you are truly a good man I am sure you will not be stealing for all of eternity meaning God sees that part of man that we may not know, so, his love and kindness endears timeline for your change to come,now these category are naturally Gods children by nature which livens Gods consciousness in them but the HARDENED LIKE the one that says I don't mind stealing forever without minding the pains his actions could be causing others whether he is just a goat thief would not matter to God. The same is applicable to the smallest sin with my first illustrations. God knows what and who wants to be a CHILD OF GOD and who does not, so, even if he ends the world today or 100000000000 years from now chances is 1001% that those suffering now will still suffer if God give them time (Noah is a case study preached for 120 years).
Don't bother, it is simple God knows the end from the beginning actually he knew Adam originally won't have sinned so that's why he sent his only begotten son for him in order to gain his redemption.

My humble submission keep asking God for His Holy and perfect will for our lives so we don't see God as being cruel because he is not cruel otherwise he won't sacrifice His righteous son who taught us that we can actually be perfect. He is a practical model to whom THE CREATOR IS, HOLY AND WORTHY( He lived the perfect life on earth so that none would say you were not like us to see what we suffered)

EXCERPT

A little leaven, leaveneth the whole lump Galatians 5:9-21, Phillipians 2:5-9

Illustrations
If your child who is not a fornicator or thief associates with the thief or fornicator what are the chances he would switch to such practise? you do the answering!

So the same vein you would not allow the Perfect God to allow anything unworthy to be mixed with His Holy children.

I hope I have been able to respond by virtue of the Holy Spirit otherwise I hope what you read does not stick.

Peace
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by indoorscholar(m): 11:42am On Sep 03, 2017
Imperfect man would simply kill a mad dog but perfect Yahweh would burn and torture man for all eternity for having a sinful nature(which he allowed in the first place)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Does This Quote Mean? / The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible / 4 Lessons From The Parable Of Talents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.