Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,148 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:48 AM

Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? (12508 Views)

Is Hellfire Enough Deterrent For Sin? / The Only Antidote For Sin / Are Natural Disasters God's Way Of Punishing The World For Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Masterclass32: 11:49am On Sep 03, 2017
thesicilian:
If you are already aware of the punishment for a crime before you still go ahead to commit it, on what basis then would you argue that the punishment is unfair?

Apt.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 03, 2017
of course not. but then throughout the history of Christianity, Yahweh has never really done anything that's fair or even sane. he does things that rank from downright stupid to outright disturbing, hell and it's counterpart is just one of those things.

it's the people who buy into his crap that I'm shocked by.

let me put this in another way, it's those who believe he's actually real and additionally grovel at him that I'm shocked by.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Barywhyte(m): 11:58am On Sep 03, 2017
gdguy:
Hell is originally designed for Devil and his angels (called demons) who rebelled against God. Hell is a punishment for sins. Because of the severity of the punishment of Hell, and the great love that God has for mankind, that is why he suffered the pain of sending his only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, into the world to reconcile man to himself and save all mankind from the punishment of Hell. All we only need to do is believe that Jesus has paid for our sins and turned away from evils. Through this, our sins will be forgiven and we can now begin to live a new life in Christ. The grace of God that makes it difficult to go back to sin will be released upon us and we can continue to enjoy fellowship with Christ till death or His Second Coming, whichever comes first. God knows the horror of Hell; that is why when Jesus, at His hour of death, sought God to change His plan for Him( Jesus) to face the death of the cross; God turned down His request. Yes, God is merciful but His love is above his mercy. If God could bear the pain of His only Son suffer the agony of crucifixion; then my brothers, He could as well bear the pain of agony of sinners in Hell who refused to repent and be converted while on the earth, despite several chances to do so.

absolutely! God bless u bro
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Rilwayne001: 12:05pm On Sep 03, 2017
sukkot:
that hell will be smelling like suya. lots of roasted meat. maybe angel gabriel will just throw onion and tomato and suya pepper in their to make it all exiciting and yummy

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5907389_58548374744379c0b3cd3c421042dc8ea192550a6d1f561478000000d90905cbe8tmpjpeg682b3be36e3891ad46fa8e298b0932f1jpeg0f8092d72a4b4bd04802e23c2db9109e_jpeg3ad7acc05d357e2313fe9ecb6c29ad85
ITS ALL ALLEGORY

LWKMD grin grin grin cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by sukkot: 12:06pm On Sep 03, 2017
Rilwayne001:

lmao bros the matter tire me oooo grin grin
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by PSolutionsNG: 12:11pm On Sep 03, 2017
God & the Devil are just one and the same. I guess we are their entertainment as they watch us to catch fun and deflect boredom:

- Sometime I imagine how boring it could get to live forever! (*in ancient greece, live forever is actually a curse)

- Arguing will not change whatever will happen after we leave this life!

- We know evil when we see it. We know good when we see it. That makes life simple enough!

- Evil is real and is everywhere. Good is real and is everywhere. Just ensure you are on the right side of things.

- I am a Christian and enjoy the rich bible as it is, don't bother myself with too much brain cracking and nobody can control my free imagination.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Sep 03, 2017
thesicilian:
If you are already aware of the punishment for a crime before you still go ahead to commit it, on what basis then would you argue that the punishment is unfair?

1. The point of punishment is to reform behavior. Any other kind of punishment is unfair because it benefits no one, both the punisher and the punished.

2. The punishment is only meted out to those who die while committing them, making it possible to escape punishment after years of committing the crime, and you could get this punishment by committing the crime once! this is unfair.

3. the person who is punishing people has been documented committing/abetting these crimes, this is unfair.

4. it is possible to commit these crimes without knowing the punishment and in fact, at sweeping majority of the people to be punished never knew anything. this is unfair.

5. the existence of this punishment has done nothing to reduce the crime being committed. this is unfair.

in fact, it is a waste of time, especially when it lasts forever in which case it's a colossal waste of time.

I could go on and on, but this should be enough for a logical mind.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by achorladey: 12:11pm On Sep 03, 2017
The day the word "Hell fire" appear in the christian doctrine starts the wrong application of God's admimistration of criminal justice system by the religious leaders of our time. Apostle Paul will be ashamed of all of them simply because Romans 6:23 captures it in the simplest of terms and with no bogus clauses that...................the WAGES sins pays to an individual employed or recruited in the various company established by SIN is DEATH. If you find yourself in that Fallacy or false teaching of HELL FIRE then such individual needs to seek a redress in God's Industrial court for a breach of contractual terms laid down by company SIN when recruiting its labour force.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by achorladey: 12:28pm On Sep 03, 2017
I am certain the judgement God will give to any individual who finds himself in such false teaching of Hell fire will be the same judgement given to the case held between God versus Adam and Eve held 5000 B.C.E at the supreme court holden at Garden of Eden. The judgement reads thus as captured in Genesis 3:19 in the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground for out of it you were taken . For dust you are and to dust you return. Cross check with Genesis 2:17. Therefore company sin has no right to send people to hell fire.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Sep 03, 2017
monchazfarms:
In God's sight,all sins are equal.

You dey God's eyes?
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by joe4christ(m): 12:56pm On Sep 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Hell always sounded like a cynical marketing ploy designed to make people afraid to leave or displease the particular sect. And it seemed to really kill empathy - 'god says they burn, they burn' doesn't make me think of someone being full of love and compassion and all that.

Eternal punishment for finite transgressions always seemed abusive to me. How can someone look at the idea of a being who would condemn people to that and call it love?

Even when I was a Christian Hell was just too weird for me to accept. Infinite punishment for finite offenses is an eye for an eye on steroids. Punishing people for disobeying nit-picky rules makes God an abusive parent. One reason often given for punishment is to teach the offender not to offend again, but if punishment is eternal then how can the offender benefit from this teaching? Jesus is supposed to be into forgiveness but forgiveness shouldn't involve eternal suffering. Hell isn’t redemptive, it isn’t leading to repentance, it’s simply pain for pain’s sake.

I love this quote: “Heaven and hell seem out of proportion to me: the actions of men do not deserve so much.”

and of course I get the rationalisation of hell by Christians saying its moral accountability and saying bad people go to hell;
that's nonsense and they know it!!!

If Yahweh is real and omniscient, that means he already decided that we're going to hell before he even created us. But if this omniscient deity allows for deathbed conversions, then it doesn't matter what kind of life you lead. You could be a brutal dictator who massacred tens of millions of people, yet still get into heaven if you tell Jesus you're sorry. Your victims could all go to hell for eternity if they never repented. That's how bleeped up Christian morality is.

Maybe Christians can answer a few questions for me. The Bible says that there is ONLY ONE way to get into Heaven: by accepting salvation through Jesus.

So it follows that the Christians who ran the Nazi death camps can get into heaven. But their 6 million Jewish victims must burn for all eternity in the pits of Hell. I've talked to many Christians about this and they just pretty much accept it.

My questions are:

1. How f***ed up do you have to be to believe Nazis can go to Heaven but their 6 million Jewish victims must burn? That's just sick. But Christians believe it. What the f*** is wrong with you people?

2. Why would ANYONE willingly worship a god that would act like that? Is it just a fear thing (better known as cowardice)? And

3. Even if you get into Heaven what makes you think you'll be safe with a psycho god like that running the place? What's to stop your god getting a wild hair up his ass one day and sending Christians to a place so bad it makes Hell look like an ice cream parlor? He used to like the Jews too. Or so the story claims. What makes you think you're safe?

A million likes for you, I could not have said this any better
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by joe4christ(m): 1:02pm On Sep 03, 2017
thesicilian:

Have you never committed an offence knowing fully well prior to that act that your action is wrong or a sin and yet you proceed for reasons unknown or too meager that ordinarily isn't worth it, and yet you did it. If you've ever done this ( which I'm most certain you have) then you don't have the jurisdiction to ask that question you asked
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by gemale(m): 1:12pm On Sep 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Hell always sounded like a cynical marketing ploy designed to make people afraid to leave or displease the particular sect. And it seemed to really kill empathy - 'god says they burn, they burn' doesn't make me think of someone being full of love and compassion and all that.

Eternal punishment for finite transgressions always seemed abusive to me. How can someone look at the idea of a being who would condemn people to that and call it love?

Even when I was a Christian Hell was just too weird for me to accept. Infinite punishment for finite offenses is an eye for an eye on steroids. Punishing people for disobeying nit-picky rules makes God an abusive parent. One reason often given for punishment is to teach the offender not to offend again, but if punishment is eternal then how can the offender benefit from this teaching? Jesus is supposed to be into forgiveness but forgiveness shouldn't involve eternal suffering. Hell isn’t redemptive, it isn’t leading to repentance, it’s simply pain for pain’s sake.

I love this quote: “Heaven and hell seem out of proportion to me: the actions of men do not deserve so much.”

and of course I get the rationalisation of hell by Christians saying its moral accountability and saying bad people go to hell;
that's nonsense and they know it!!!

If Yahweh is real and omniscient, that means he already decided that we're going to hell before he even created us. But if this omniscient deity allows for deathbed conversions, then it doesn't matter what kind of life you lead. You could be a brutal dictator who massacred tens of millions of people, yet still get into heaven if you tell Jesus you're sorry. Your victims could all go to hell for eternity if they never repented. That's how bleeped up Christian morality is.

Maybe Christians can answer a few questions for me. The Bible says that there is ONLY ONE way to get into Heaven: by accepting salvation through Jesus.

So it follows that the Christians who ran the Nazi death camps can get into heaven. But their 6 million Jewish victims must burn for all eternity in the pits of Hell. I've talked to many Christians about this and they just pretty much accept it.

My questions are:

1. How f***ed up do you have to be to believe Nazis can go to Heaven but their 6 million Jewish victims must burn? That's just sick. But Christians believe it. What the f*** is wrong with you people?

2. Why would ANYONE willingly worship a god that would act like that? Is it just a fear thing (better known as cowardice)? And

3. Even if you get into Heaven what makes you think you'll be safe with a psycho god like that running the place? What's to stop your god getting a wild hair up his ass one day and sending Christians to a place so bad it makes Hell look like an ice cream parlor? He used to like the Jews too. Or so the story claims. What makes you think you're safe?
Yes God is love but He is also just. He offers us a choice, His way or our way the same manner He told the jews "behold I set before you today life & death; choose life. He doesn't force us to accept 1 however He makes plain the consequences of the choices we make. If we follow His way (Jesus Christ as stated in john 14:6),He avails grace to enable us end up being with Him in heaven but if we choose our way, it would ultimately lead to hell as the book of proverbs warns that there is a path that seems right to a man that the end leads to destruction. You can't expect to take the road leading to enugu & think you would end up in abuja. Now what is evil or wicked in that? What God basically does is give us what we wish for. If we by our belief, thoughts, words & actions desire Him, He gives us Himself in heaven where we would see Him in His full glory. If we don't desire Him, He takes us to a place where His presence is withdrawn. There, the devil, God's vanquished rival & fallen angels abound. Rather what i think is wrong is thinking that 1 can live a life in disobedience to God, ignore several opportunities to repent & expect to finally be with Him. The Lord's prayer says "thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven" meaning that heaven is a place where God's will is in total control. If 1 can't submit to God's will on earth, how can such a person submit to His will if allowed into heaven? The person would only continue his/her rebellion in heaven. You think any sin is small or inconsequential? Sin is sin & sin is of the devil who once said "i would exalt myself above the Almighty". When we sin, we subvert God's will & enthrone ours. We give in to the nature of satan to undermine God in our lives. That is the spirit behind any sin no matter how 'little' it seems & that is rebellion which the bible makes us understand is the same as idolatry. What you call "disobeying nit picky rules" is like encouraging someone to nurse a puff adder or king cobra in his bosom. That is what sin is. It is poison to the soul. If i handed you a bottle of the sweetest drink in the world & as you took the 1st sip, told you it was poisoned, would you keep drinking it? Would you ignore me just because it's sweet? I think not. You would most likely fling it away & try to look for an antidote for the 1 you've consumed. If you do that for this temporal body that would 1 day perish & rot away, why not do the same for your soul that is eternal? Fling away those seemingly sweet acts, thoughts & words that are laced with sin & seek the antidote (Jesus) today. Now let me try & answer your questions.
1. Anybody can go to heaven as long as they GENUINELY repent of their sins. It's more than just saying "i'm sorry". It means that they should be deeply remorseful for rebelling against God, that were it possible for them to go back in time, they wouldn't have done such & if faced with the same situation in the future, they would resolve to cooperate with God's grace & not repeat such again. So if a nazi who murdered jews before his death comes to such a state & turns to Jesus, he would be saved. Also if any Jew before death repented & believed in Jesus Christ, he too would be saved. Nobody can stop anyone from receiving & submitting to Jesus. The worst they can do is kill, persecute, torment or torture you because you have submitted to Jesus. Jesus is mine & none can take Him away from me (romans 8:35,39). Hallelujah.
2. Why wouldn't i serve God? He who gave His only begotten son for me? He, whose persistent love sought me unrelentingly when i was lost & deeply submerged in the quagmire of sin? Who brought me out & washed me with the blood of the sinless Lamb of God, who became man & took my sin on Himself & nailed it to the cross that i may be made righteous?
3. Where else would i be safest if not heaven? A place without sorrow, pain, sickness or evil. Where God would wipe away every tear. Where the streets are paved in gold. Where i would be with God & all the saints who have fought the good fight forever. Where i would hear God say to me (by God's grace) "well done, good & faithful servant, enter into the joy of your Master". May i (& you also) not miss heaven in Jesus' name. Amen.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by 1Sharon(f): 1:17pm On Sep 03, 2017
sukkot:
that hell will be smelling like suya. lots of roasted meat. maybe angel gabriel will just throw onion and tomato and suya pepper in their to make it all exiciting and yummy

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5907389_58548374744379c0b3cd3c421042dc8ea192550a6d1f561478000000d90905cbe8tmpjpeg682b3be36e3891ad46fa8e298b0932f1jpeg0f8092d72a4b4bd04802e23c2db9109e_jpeg3ad7acc05d357e2313fe9ecb6c29ad85
ITS ALL ALLEGORY

You don't expect god to eat it's meat raw do you?
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by 1Sharon(f): 1:19pm On Sep 03, 2017
Rilwayne001:

Be shining ur teeth there. Muhammad riding a horse to heaven is funny too tongue
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by sukkot: 1:21pm On Sep 03, 2017
1Sharon:

You don't expect god to eat it's meat raw do you?
nah the meat has to be fully cooked. YAH likes his meat very well done. refined and purified in the furnace of affliction
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by thesicilian: 1:23pm On Sep 03, 2017
Teempakguy:

1. The point of punishment is to reform behavior. Any other kind of punishment is unfair because it benefits no one, both the punisher and the punished.

2. The punishment is only meted out to those who die while committing them, making it possible to escape punishment after years of committing the crime, and you could get this punishment by committing the crime once! this is unfair.

3. the person who is punishing people has been documented committing/abetting these crimes, this is unfair.

4. it is possible to commit these crimes without knowing the punishment and in fact, at sweeping majority of the people to be punished never knew anything. this is unfair.

5. the existence of this punishment has done nothing to reduce the crime being committed. this is unfair.

in fact, it is a waste of time, especially when it lasts forever in which case it's a colossal waste of time.

I could go on and on, but this should be enough for a logical mind.
You raise many arguments that are hard to refute, I have to be honest. But the truth remains that God is just and will never punish anyone unfairly. It is only a just King that allows Himself to be bound by His own principles, one of which maintains that the soul that sinneth, it shall die. He goes on to say in another place that Life and death have I given unto you, however I advice you to choose life so that you may live...
While one can agree that many people do not know the punishments for their crimes ab initio, no one can claim not to know the difference between right and wrong and it is on that note that they themselves will be judged. Not to mention the obvious fact that ignorance is no defence in the court of law.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by 1Sharon(f): 1:25pm On Sep 03, 2017
sukkot:

nah the meat has to be fully cooked. YAH likes his meat very well done. refined and purified in the furnace of affliction

embarassed
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by uboma(m): 1:29pm On Sep 03, 2017
tete7000:

You are simply a stupid person who needs no further reply. Stupidly foolish, ignorant, blind and brainwashed. What do you know about the subject matter? Nothing, but your idiotic pride won't let you be helped. Can you please stay off me? Nonsense!

And you are supposed to be a Christian in words and deeds.

What a contrast though.

Thanks for the insults.

May God forgive you.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by sukkot: 1:30pm On Sep 03, 2017
1Sharon:

embarassed
LOL
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by kennyblack94: 1:42pm On Sep 03, 2017
milkymesh:
When a person commits a crime, the punishment is based upon both the severity of the crime and the person whom the crime is against.

I know that because God is just, people will suffer according to there deeds, and some will suffer longer than others. But how can you say that a just God would allow me who who stole a goat suffer the same fate as Boko Haram's Shakau who is responsible for thousands deaths?
Why should I suffer eternally for a sin I probably committed for a few weeks or years?
And how can a just God cause men to suffer torture FOREVER?
Will HE in His mercies shut his heart against those who in agony have been crying for thousands of years in hellfire asking for mercy and forgiveness??

The picture of God painted thought the doctrine of hellfire seems to contradict the merciful and loving God taught in the bible.

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?

When "God" is inserted as the Protagonist,human responsibility is often thwarted.When the "Devil" is inserted as the Antagonist,human accountability is derailed. It isn't until humanity precisely Africans realizes that we are our own saviors that we will understand the long-term benefits of benevolence, empathy,compassion, and solidarity...
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by ysyowel(m): 1:45pm On Sep 03, 2017
the greatest sin one can commite is to reject Jesus as Saviour, he who believe in the son has life he who does'nt believe in him has no life and he is condemn alrealdy.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Peacefullove: 2:21pm On Sep 03, 2017
There is no Hellfire . a dead man is not alive , only the living can experience torment .
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Peacefullove: 2:23pm On Sep 03, 2017
ysyowel:
the greatest sin one can commite is to reject Jesus as Saviour, he who believe in the son has life he who does'nt believe in him has no life and he is condemn alrealdy.

A stone has no life .

if he who doesn't have the son have no life, How could he go to hellfire ?
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Rapture4real(m): 2:26pm On Sep 03, 2017
twosquare:
Hell is not forever, neither is it for eternity. (Rev 20:14)
I won't argue with you but you didn't finish your theology.Hell and death will be cast into lake of fire and the lake of fire burns forever and ever with people who are not born again Rev.20:15.We only quote scripture to favour us and do away with the ones we don't like.Hell is even a temporary detention where souls that die without be born again will await the White throne judgement while lack of fire burning with sulphur is the final destination of all the wicked and people who are not born again in Christ Jesus

1 Like

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by twosquare(m): 2:35pm On Sep 03, 2017
Rapture4real:

I won't argue with you but you didn't finish your theology.Hell and death will be cast into lake of fire and the lake of fire burns forever and ever with people who are not born again Rev.20:15.We only quote scripture to favour us and do away with the ones we don't like.Hell is even a temporary detention where souls that die without be born again will await the White throne judgement while lack of fire burning with sulphur is the final destination of all the wicked and people who are not born again in Christ Jesus
Maybe you should check my second post on the same line and thread before insulting,....
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by obisco4u: 2:39pm On Sep 03, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if God is Aerys Targaryen. GOT fans will understand!!!!!!
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Hugo55(m): 2:41pm On Sep 03, 2017
I am soul. you are soul. we do not have a soul, like possess a soul but we ourselves are soul. as soul we are part of God.
hell fire is only but the experiences we pass through in life to become more god like in nature.
hell fire doesn't mean pepertual burning in a place.
we are all here to have experiences, to learn how to give and receive love.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Mujtahida: 2:43pm On Sep 03, 2017
Who subdued Og king of Bashan And his mercies endures forever.
He will send people to hell And his mercies endures forever.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Peacefullove: 2:43pm On Sep 03, 2017
Rapture4real:

I won't argue with you but you didn't finish your theology. Hell and death will be cast into lake of fire and the lake of fire burns forever and ever with people who are not born again Rev.20:15.We only quote scripture to favour us and do away with the ones we don't like.Hell is even a temporary detention where souls that die without be born again will await the White throne judgement while lack of fire burning with sulphur is the final destination of all the wicked and people who are not born again in Christ Jesus

Hehehe but wait o

You actually believe hell and death will be burning in that Lake of fire ?
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by generationz(f): 3:43pm On Sep 03, 2017
sukkot:

ITS ALL ALLEGORY
Lol
A vast supply of eternal suya

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by orisa37: 4:06pm On Sep 03, 2017
It's hard luck if your unrepentantness gets you there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lust Inspired Requests By Pastor Adeboye / The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible / MFM G.O ,dr DK Olukoya And His Wife Celebrate Their Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.