Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:03 PM

WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria (23992 Views)

WASSCE: South-West States To Reopen Schools / Enjoys Eight Happy Fortunes Of Chanyuan Celestials / WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by totit: 9:29pm On Sep 03, 2017
FKO81:
grin
NECO and GCE grin
NECO and GCE lol, Southeast leading in common entrance exam, WAEC and JAMB, you guys are here lamenting while we are leading

undecided
Why are you diverting and moving left and right like nigeria economy like this shocked. Maybe you miss road sef.
And how can you lead in jamb,neco et al without facts shocked

Oga, I know it's embarrassing when disputed and exposed but man up for once abeg grin

And yes, once again, you lied you don't lead in jamb, neco.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by totit: 9:33pm On Sep 03, 2017
FKO81:
grin
NECO and GCE grin
NECO and GCE lol, Southeast leading in common entrance exam, WAEC and JAMB, you guys are here lamenting while we are leading

And please, once again, shove you lies and deceit already.
Here :

Students from Ekiti State who sat for the 2016 June/July Senior School Certificate Examination trumped their counterparts in the exam, the newly released results by the National Examination Council showed.

The result was announced on Friday by Charles Uwakwe, NECO Registrar.

The exams body said Edo State came second while Abia and Kogi States occupied the third place.

“An analysis of the result across the 36 states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory indicated that Ekiti State topped all others with 96.485 of its candidates that sat for the examination coming out victorious,” Mr. Uwakwe said. “Edo state was second with 96.31% while Abias and Kogi were joint third,” the Registrar said.”

This year’s results also showed that 88.51 per cent of the overall candidates had five credits in English and Mathematics, marking a one per cent improvement in the overall performance of candidates over 2015 results.

Mr. Uwakwe said the 88.51 per cent (905, 011) had credits in the exam out of a total 1, 022, 474 candidates from Nigeria and other countries.

About 84.54 per cent of the candidates scored credit pass and above in English Language and 80.16 per cent obtained credit pass and above in Mathematics, Mr. Uwakwe said.

Mr. Uwakwe said NECO detect exam malpractices in about 194 centers, while 14 schools have been deregistered for similar offences.

Mr. Uwakwe said the improvement in this year’s results showed that his predecessors’ efforts have now started yielding good outcome, and promised to improve the current standards.

“I want to solicit for support from all our stakeholders. NECO should be seen as a Nigerian baby that requires the care and support of all to enable her attain that first class international status,” Mr. Uwakwe said. “We are working hard to ensure NECO makes her mark in the global assessment industry.”

Mr. Uwakwe urged candidates who sat for the exam to check their results on NECO website

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/210547-ekiti-beats-35-states-fct-records-best-2016-junejuly-neco-result.html

I am tired of embarrassing you.

Go Go hide shocked undecided

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by bkool7(m): 9:35pm On Sep 03, 2017
chiddyj:

my brother, it is a big fat lie! a third class brain is a third clas brain until he proves otherwise via test and the like! I schooled in the east and I turned out to do better than loads and loads of oau and ui graduates in tests and interviews! it is personal! u r either good or not soo good. thats why it is called exams! personal issues can throw u off ur game and u graduated with grade that doesnt represent your intellect. you cant just come and make fallacious statements here cos u have data and talk is cheapM

There's nothing such as a third class brain.
That's absurd
How can you call a brain third class?
With right nuturing and dedication , nothing is impossible

Exam, really, can't be a true test of knowledge for many reasons of which I've had a personal experience.

During Nce most lecturers know me as an A or B student.
During TP when I got a D because i was nervous , when the Lecturer got to school all the other lecturers rejected it. They had to send another lecturer and I got an A.
Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by Fidelismaria: 9:38pm On Sep 03, 2017
awwwwn
rip to education in the sw
Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by ofai: 10:59pm On Sep 03, 2017
totit:

Taaaaaaa stop the lie, abeg shocked

If you don't know the meaning of my statement, just ask

Try and comprehend just a sentence pls.

By the way, click on this and shut up:
http://newsrescue.com/blacks-especially-igbos-prove-more-intelligent-than-whites-including-the-asian-leaders/#axzz4rej5cezi
Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by akinsuraj(m): 11:03pm On Sep 03, 2017
[quote author=hebenezher post=60097648] I couldn't decipher after much trial, on why God has made (continuously till date), Yoruba the best of the whole culture.

so fortunate to have erected an Afonja undecided I couldn't decipher after much trial, on why God has made (continuously till date), Yoruba the best of the whole culture.

so fortunate to have erected an Afonja

Spitting crap!

Overtaken with malpractice as usual,carry on
Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by akinsuraj(m): 11:14pm On Sep 03, 2017
FKO81:

For more than two decades southeast is leading in SSCE and JAMB it became clear to west since social media became powerful in Naija and exposing th[color=#006600][/color]eir lies and propaganda
ss and se will soon realize that all this malpractice that is talking them to the top by this so called waec will take them no where the earlier they realize the better,
Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by totit: 11:15pm On Sep 03, 2017
ofai:

If you don't know the meaning of my statement, just ask

Try and comprehend just a sentence pls.

By the way, click on this and shut up:
http://newsrescue.com/blacks-especially-igbos-prove-more-intelligent-than-whites-including-the-asian-leaders/#axzz4rej5cezi

Loool. Mr liar with his ibo figures/blog is even telling me shut up cheesy. grin

Sorry to burst your bubble you can now keep ya insult, abeg grin
Ibo blog grin

By the way, no hard feelings just that I detest lies that's all ;

[b]Several Nigerian websites, including the online version of the traditional New Telegraph newspaper, quoted a putative ‘US study’ to have averred that Igbos are the “most brilliant black Africa [sic] race.” As you would expect, this has animated a frenzied debate in Nigerian cyberspace. But let’s get the facts straight. The article from where the notion of Igbo IQ superiority is extrapolated isn’t a study, nor is it American. It is a reflective essay by a Zambian man called Chanda Chisala. The essay, titled “The IQ Gap Is No Longer a Black and White Issue,” was first published on June 25, 2015 in “The Unz Review: An Alternative Media Selection,” an American-based website that bills itself as “A Collection of Interesting, Important, and Controversial Perspectives Largely Excluded from the American Mainstream Media.”

“The Unz Review: An Alternative Media Selection” isn’t an academic journal, nor are essays published in it considered scholarly. Although the essay that caused Nigerian websites to claim that Igbos have been crowned as the most intellectually endowed African race is a synthesis of scholarly and popular articles, it is itself not a systematic scholarly study. It is merely one writer’s perspective. The author of the essay, Chanda Chisala, isn’t an American; he is a Zambian born in the Zambian town of Chingola. He studied Biochemistry at the University of Zambia and graduated in 1997. He is known in Zambia as an intrepid Internet entrepreneur who founded Zambia Online, Zambia’s leading Internet portal. He later relocated to the United States where he has held fellowships at Stanford University, the Hoover Institution, and the National Endowment for Democracy. So headlines attributing Igbos’ unparalleled brilliance to a “US academic study” are factually inaccurate. In the essay, Chisala merely sought to disprove the notion that whites are innately more intelligent than blacks. As most people know, IQ tests in the US consistently show native-born American blacks underperforming their white counterparts, leading some to conclude that racial difference, not income or environment; is the most important causative factor for white intellectual superiority and black intellectual inferiority in IQ tests. Over the last few years, with the increasing migration of black people to the United States from the Caribbean Islands and Africa, many settled certainties about racial disparities in IQ tests are being exploded. African immigrants in the US are high academic achievers. In some cases, they outperform white Americans. For instance, Nigerians are the single most educated demographic group in the United States, although it must be admitted that Nigerians in the United States are both too numerically insignificant (we are a mere 228,000) and too self-selected to be representative of the general population at home. Before Africans began migrating to the United States in fairly large numbers since the 1970s, Caribbean immigrants had excelled, and still excel, in academic pursuits in ways that disrupt notions of racial hierarchy in cognitive endowment. So Chisala’s basic argument is that if race is the only explanatory framework invoked to account for the IQ gap between white Americans and native-born American blacks, then native-born American blacks should be smarter than recent African and Caribbean immigrants since native-born American blacks have more white genes in them than both Caribbean and African immigrants. He also dismissed a controversial 2009 Harvard IQ study that found black African immigrants in the United States to have an average IQ of 89. “They lump together black Africans into one homogenous group when there are different kinds of black Africans, including a good number coming in as refugees from highly troubled countries, while other nationalities consist of the most educated ethnicities in America. [T]he different groups of African immigrants can have very large background differences that reflect in cognitive gaps among them that are even higher than the gap between American blacks and whites…In other words, the mean IQ of African immigrants may be as unrepresentative of black Igbo immigrants as it is of white South African immigrants. It’s a meaningless mean,” he said. The putative average IQ of 89 among African immigrants (it is 83 among black Caribbean immigrants) is lower than the average IQ of native-born American blacks, yet African and Caribbean immigrants, on average, outperform American blacks in academic pursuits and rival, in some cases outrival, whites. Chisala argues, therefore, that the IQ tests aren’t representative of all Africans. “As the UK data below shows, it is very unlikely that children of immigrants from the Igbo or Yoruba groups of Nigeria or the Ashanti group of Ghana, for example, have an average IQ below the white mean IQ,” he wrote. The data he presented to make his case uses Igbo academic achievement in the US and the UK, and that was the basis for the notion that a “US academic study” has pronounced Igbos as the most “brilliant African race.” The article “resurrected” from last year because an Augusta Uwamanzu-Nna, a Nigerian-American high school graduate born of Igbo parents, was recently accepted by all eight Ivy League schools in the United States. Last year, Harold Ekeh, another Nigerian-American born of Igbo parents, was also accepted by all Ivy League schools. However, although Nigerian websites, including the New Telegraph, claim that these brilliant young Nigerian-Americans “have broken a record of being accepted by eight Ivy League schools,” it is actually not true. Every year, a few smart teenagers get accepted to all eight Ivy League schools. In 2014, for instance, a Ghanaian-American teenager by the name of Kwasi Enin was accepted in all 8 Ivy League schools. In 2015, a high school student by the name of Ronald Nelson was accepted by all the Ivy League schools, but he rejected every single one of them and instead went to a state school. This is in no way intended to diminish the praiseworthy achievements of the two brilliant Nigerian Americans. Nor do I want to be understood as denying that Igbos, on average, have a higher intellectual drive than the rest of us. (In my high school in Nigeria we often jokingly questioned the Igboness of any Igbo person who wasn’t among the top three in his class). Nevertheless, no systematic scholarly study anywhere, and certainly not in the US, has proved that Igbos are the most brilliant people in Africa. That study may yet come, but Chanda Chisala’s opinion article is not it.

Re: No US Study Ever Said Igbos Are The Most Brilliant African Race by TeflonBlixx: 8:45pm On Apr 16
Source
https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/notes-from-atlanta/no-us-study-ever-said-igbos-are-the-most-brilliant-black-african-race/143684.html

1 Like

Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by ofai: 11:37pm On Sep 03, 2017
totit:

Loool. Mr liar with his ibo figures/blog is even telling me shut up cheesy. grin

Sorry to burst your bubble you can now keep ya insult, abeg grin
Ibo blog grin

By the way, no hard feelings just that I detest lies that's all ;

Obviously you don't understand English. Igbos are TOUTED in some quarters as being the most intelligent blacks.

All you could do was to quote DAILY TRUST, hausafulsni anti-igbo media outlet to "debunk" my statement. Insecure fool.

Go and read Thomas sowell books on Igbos. You are so shallow
Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by totit: 11:46pm On Sep 03, 2017
ofai:

Obviously you don't understand English. Igbos are TOUTED in some quarters as being the most intelligent blacks.

All you could do was to quote DAILY TRUST, hausafulsni anti-igbo media outlet to "debunk" my statement. Insecure fool.

Go and read Thomas sowell books on Igbos. You are so shallow

Let me add to ya injury, liar grin

Here is the so called stats which debunked your lies : kiss

FYI, that article was written by Chanda Chisala before it was posted on UNZ. NewTelegraph the chitgbo website it and quickly changed the title to "Igbos most intelligent African tribe"

www.unz.com/article/the-iq-gap-is-no-longer-a-black-and-white-issue/

Original article :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/9755929/IQ-tests-do-not-reflect-intelligence.html

Tired of lecturing you tho undecided so,after being busted you've suddenly diverted to one mr Thomas write up talking/praising about ibo of over 5 decades ago,in 2017 shocked shame no dey yah' eyes oo shocked

1 Like

Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by ofai: 12:03am On Sep 04, 2017
totit:

Let me add to ya injury, liar grin

Here is the so called stats which debunked your lies : kiss

FYI, that article was written by Chanda Chisala before it was posted on UNZ. NewTelegraph the chitgbo website it and quickly changed the title to "Igbos most intelligent African tribe"

www.unz.com/article/the-iq-gap-is-no-longer-a-black-and-white-issue/

Tired of lecturing you tho undecided so,after being busted you've suddenly diverted to one mr Thomas write up talking/praising about ibo of over 5 decades ago,in 2017 shocked shame no dey yah' eyes oo shocked

You are just shallow and insecure. Which​ tribe was projected in the article as against whites and Asians?

You are pathetic. Igbos are cited more even as black minority models in America.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwjEn4yvjYrWAhWMbVAKHYbRDpMQwqsBCDwwCA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA

1 Like

Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by totit: 12:08am On Sep 04, 2017
ofai:

You are just shallow and insecure. Which​ tribe was projected in the article as against whites and Asians?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwjEn4yvjYrWAhWMbVAKHYbRDpMQwqsBCDwwCA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA

I hate liars like you.
And for that reason I have taken it upon myself to expose such liars like you further.

What's with the empty link you just provided

Dude, quite the obvious lie already the stats or whatever you came up was manipulated hence I provided the the direct, original author. But No, you won't stop there you went ahead to tell me to go dig one yeye Thomas of old to cover ya shame.

Provide me with the said so called stats direct link or just shut up already angry

3 Likes

Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by totit: 12:10am On Sep 04, 2017
ofai:

You are pathetic. Igbos are cited more even as black minority models in America.

And WTF is bonded for
Are u being childish or what Act like a man and stop being emotional grin

I hate liars.
I don't want another yeye ibo copy-twisted blog.
I you have nothing to prove. Get the furt outta of my mention.

So annoying... angry

2 Likes

Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by ofai: 12:25am On Sep 04, 2017
totit:

I hate liars like you.
And for that reason I have taken it upon myself to expose such liars like you further.

What's with the empty link you just provided

Dude, quite the obvious lie already the stats or whatever you came up was manipulated hence I provided the the direct, original author. But No, you won't stop there you went ahead to tell me to go dig one yeye Thomas of old to cover ya shame.

Provide me with the said so called stats direct link or just shut up already angry

empty link? you are indeed sick.

your rabble rousing won't change the fact that igbos are being TOUTED as the most intelligent blacks
Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by totit: 12:30am On Sep 04, 2017
ofai:

empty link? you are indeed sick.

your rabble rousing won't change the fact that igbos are being TOUTED as the most intelligent blacks

Get off my mention,liar with an empty link angry

1 Like

Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by ofai: 12:36am On Sep 04, 2017
totit:

Get off my mention,liar with an empty link angry

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwjEnu7ilorWAhWFZFAKHfH_AogQxa8BCCIwAA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA

Type "Thomas sowell on Igbos" in YouTube if you can get it through the link I sent.
Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by ofai: 12:41am On Sep 04, 2017
You can hate me for all I care. The fact is that the yorubas are falling academically in Nigeria while igbos are the ones often cited when it comes to Black intelligence.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by totit: 12:41am On Sep 04, 2017
ofai:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwjEnu7ilorWAhWFZFAKHfH_AogQxa8BCCIwAA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA

Type "Thomas sowell on Igbos" in YouTube if you can get it through the link I sent.

Rubbish. Suddenly, it's now about one yeye Thomas. Mtcheew.

Keep parembulting about with one old man oral stats of over five decades in 2017 to prove yah aba made intellegent upandan. Dammmitt leave my mention jare with yah old articles undecided

1 Like

Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by ofai: 12:43am On Sep 04, 2017
totit:

Rubbish. Suddenly, it's now about one yeye Thomas. Mtcheew.

Keep parembulting about with one old man oral stats of over five decades in 2017 to prove yah aba made intellegent upandan. Dammmitt leave my mention jare with yah old articles undecided

Oh so the eminent Thomas sowell is now "yeye"? Like I said you are so so pathetic and insecure.
Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by totit: 12:57am On Sep 04, 2017
ofai:

Oh so the eminent Thomas sowell is now "yeye"? Like I said you are so so pathetic and insecure.

I am tempted to insult you but I won't because you argue like a overpamper sisi.

Is your Thomas a statistian? Answer me?

And about Nigeria ranking 7th with an average IQ of 67 which is way too low.

Nairaland can be used as a case study with with lots of comments portraying minute intelligence Quota

Well according to statisticsbrain.com

http://www.statisticbrain.com/countries-with-the-highest-lowest-average-iq/

Lecturing you is annoying but I will manage further.

1 Like

Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by ofai: 1:02am On Sep 04, 2017
totit:

I am tempted to insult you but I won't because you argue like a overpamper sisi.

Is your Thomas a statistian? Answer me?

Lecturing you is annoying but I will manage further.

stupid question from a defeated coward.

Google Thomas sowell before vomiting trash.
Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by totit: 1:36am On Sep 04, 2017
ofai:

stupid question from a defeated coward.

Google Thomas sowell before vomiting trash.
Why won't you ignore the question when all you can provide is one yeye oral and one Mr nobody home made figures grin
No be only Thomas. cheesy
Looolx
Abeg,pack well with all your yeye,empty link accompanied by yah Mr Thomas ibo praise make una pack off. Carry yah empty link comot for here mehnnnn grin

You are quite low for intelligent discuss.

No be only Thomas na james cheesy grin
Thomas ko, James ni cheesy

LMAO. Olodo rabata. E even dey form hero after been defeated with superior argument he resulted to insults shocked
Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by ofai: 2:04am On Sep 04, 2017
totit:

Why won't you ignore the question when all you can provide is one yeye oral and one Mr nobody home made figures grin
No be only Thomas. cheesy
Looolx
Abeg,pack well with all your yeye,empty link accompanied by yah Mr Thomas ibo praise make una pack off. Carry yah empty link comot for here mehnnnn grin

You are quite low for intelligent discuss.

No be only Thomas na james cheesy grin
Thomas ko, James ni cheesy

LMAO. Olodo rabata. E even dey form hero after been defeated with superior argument he resulted to insults shocked

too bad. noise noise noise. **ignores you**
Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by akigbemaru: 2:42am On Sep 04, 2017
Exzeebeat:

ANALYSIS: WAEC rating highlights dwindling fortunes of education in South-west Nigeria

Historically, western education entered the country through the South-west of Nigeria. The colonial authorities initially concentrated their activities in the Lagos area before moving down south along the coastal cities.

They were not at the time involved in the operation and funding of education. Scholars have suggested that formal western education began in Nigeria in 1842 at the primary level through the efforts of Christian missions. Secondary education was subsequently introduced. The first secondary school was CMS Grammar School, established in 1859 in Lagos.

It has been well documented that the colonial government only began its involvement in education after it promulgated its first Education Ordinance in 1882 when it began the funding of public schools and gave assistance to private ones. The difficulty in its implementation led to the enactment of the second Ordinance in 1887. This ordinance was said to have covered only schools in Lagos at the time.

Also, 73 years after the establishment of the first secondary school in Lagos, the first higher institution in Nigeria, Yaba Higher College, was established in 1932. The University College, Ibadan followed shortly in 1934.

Undoubtedly, the region had a head start in educational development compared to other regions of the country. This was further buoyed by the Universal Primary Education Policy of the then Premier of Western Region, Obafemi Awolowo, which offered free education for children in primary schools starting from 1955. Besides providing children of poor background access to quality education, it underscored the intrinsic value of education, which subsequently stimulated and facilitated the mass education of the population.

From Lagos to Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ondo and down to Ekiti, the preponderance of professors and well-read academicians benchmarks the solid foundation laid for the education in the region. It is often said (though debatable) that in every home in Ekiti, there is a professor.

However, in a recent analysis, it is apparent that other regions are not only catching up, but might have overtaken the South-west in education.

If there is any doubt in the minds of anyone, the performances of the region in the Senior School Certificate Examinations, SSCE in the last five years showed that South-west states only trail other regions in their well-publicised ratings. In all these years, none of the states, besides Lagos, has made it to the list of top 10 states on the West African Examinations Council, WAEC performance table.

Available statistics of the 2017 SSCE results enumerating states’ performance, showed the South-east states posting brilliant performances. Besides topping the chart, four of the five states made the top 10 list of states.

The dominance of the South-east and South-south states in the WAEC rating in the last five years, raise concerns about the much-touted claims of the South-west as the bastion of education in Nigeria.

However, the South-west states had Lagos as a representative among the top 10 states. It shows Abia, Rivers, and Edo coming tops, with Imo, Bayelsa, Anambra, Lagos, Taraba, Enugu and Delta following in that order.

Besides Lagos that manages to retain its presence in the top 10, the other South-west states remain comfortable either at the rear or at the middle.

In 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 WAEC results, only Lagos featured in the top 10 list of states which continued to be dominated by states from the South-east and South-south.

For instance, in 2015, all the South-east states made it to the top 10 on the chart. While Lagos still retained its place on the list, Ekiti managed to clinch the 11th position on the chart. Ondo came 14th, Ogun, 20th position, Oyo, 27th, while Osun came 30th. The situation was not so different in 2014 chart which saw Ekiti occupying the 12th position. Ondo followed closely on the 13th position, while Ogun moved up to 18, Osun, 22 and Oyo, 24.

The Ekiti State government last year celebrated the improvement of the state on the WAEC performance chart when it moved from the 28th position in 2013 to 11th position in 2016. For the state, its placement on the chart had perhaps bestowed credence on the investment of the governor in education.

Idowu Adelusi, the Chief Press Secretary to the state governor, Ayo Fayose, had described the feat as “an indication that efforts of the present administration to reposition education in the state were already yielding results.”

He said the governor was particularly happy that no fewer than 37 per cent of the state candidates that sat for WAEC in 2016 had a minimum of five credits including in English and Mathematics while a similar feat was recorded in 2015.

“The mere fact that the state jumped from 35th position to the 11th, barely two years of the coming into office of this administration, is remarkable,” Mr. Adelusi said.

Ekiti State also retained its 11th position in 2017.

However, some have rejected the use of the WAEC chart as an indicator of the true state of education in any state. A top official of the Ogun State government, who did not want his name on print, while defending the situation with education in Ogun, said the conclusion that the south-west states, particularly Ogun, performed dismally compared to other states “was an error.”

According to him, the analyses did not consider the number of candidates for each state before arriving at the conclusion.

He said the rating was based on percentage pass in five subjects at credit level and above. Looking at the performance chart of the 2014 result, Ogun which registered 70,474 candidates was placed 18th. 

It was his reasoning that Ogun in that light should not be compared with states like Bayelsa, ‘which featured 19,930 candidates and placed fourth.’

But such an argument is whittled when the 2014 table is further examined. Even states which registered fewer candidates had higher number of candidates which had five credit passes and above including in Mathematic and English.

For instance, Imo, which placed 8th on the table, registered a total of 46,359 candidates, and had a total of 18,830 candidates with five credits and above including in Mathematics and English. Ogun with 70,474 candidates had a total of 15,974 candidates making the five credit passes and above mark.

It is noteworthy that Ogun State had attracted flaks from many critics in respect of its performance of candidates in the 2016 SSCE.

However, the Special Assistant on Media to the Ogun State Governor, Opeyemi Soyombo, believes such criticisms were unfair and “did not reflect the true state of education and the commitment of Ibikunle Amosun towards restoring the virtue of education in the state.”

He argued that the administration in Ogun was following the steps of Obafemi Awolowo by earmarking over 20 per cent of the state’s budget to education.

He said the government is also operating the free education policy at the primary and secondary levels which had in turn raised the level of enrolment in schools.

“In the 2010/ 2011 session, enrolment figure for JSS was 158,972. Today, through the free education policy of the Amosun government, enrolment figure has shot up to 226,836,” Mr. Soyombo said.

“The figure has increased from 133,997 in 2010/2011 to 172,444 at the SSS level. Due to improvement in our technical education, some children now move from JSS to such schools while the majority proceed to SSS, which is a big plus for our drive in vocational/technical education. Expectedly, performance of our children in WASSCE did improve significantly.”

It was also the view of the Commissioner for Education in Osun State, Kola Young, that the WAEC results do not necessarily represent the true state of education in the states.

He argued that considering the prevalent rate of examination malpractices across the country, it was necessary to analyse the capacity of school leavers to utilise their secondary school certificates.

Mr. Young said that analysts should look at the number of students matriculating in Nigerians universities in reaching conclusions “whether the South-west is lagging behind or not.”

“If I find out that in our universities that the south-west states are lagging behind in terms of the number of students gaining admissions, then I will be alarmed,” he said.

“But if the South-west is still leading, then I will have doubts about the capacity of the other states to check exam malpractices.”

He, however, added that he would need to have all the data to be able to reach a final conclusion on it.

Seinde Arogbofa, an educationist and author told PREMIUM TIMES that the dwindling fortunes of education in the region is a function of the lack of prioritisation of the sector by the state governments.

“UNICEF recommended that 26 per cent of the budget be allocated to education. Chief Obafemi Awolowo, in his pursuit of ensuring quality education for the people, earmarked over 30 per cent of his budget to education. That was the reason why he succeeded so much,” he said.

“Today, the state governments hardly give up to 10 per cent to education in their states; they place little value on education.”

He also blamed the poor reading culture for the dismal performance of students in the examinations, saying, “How can students pass when they don’t read?”

Mr. Arogbofa also criticised parents for not doing enough to raise their children well, and condemned their support for exam malpractices. He also had some kind words for state governments.

“To say that the South-west governments are not doing anything at all to improve education will amount to an overkill and over generalisation. Some states such as Ondo, Osun and Ogun had taken novel steps to re-establish the foundations of education in their respective domains. However, the fruits of these recent ventures would only be noticeable in the far future.”

Much of what is seen as the legacies of a visionary leadership bequeathed by Mr. Awolowo and which is still being harnessed today as the capacities of the South-west region was sown decades ago.

For South-west states, they may have to learn from Mr. Awolowo’s saying that, “As far as possible, expenditure on services which tend to the welfare and health and education of the people should be increased at the expense of any expenditure that does not answer to the same test.”

The sage’s pivotal economic and education polices transformed the entire South-west of Nigeria, making it a leading light not only in education, but in other areas of development. Governors in the region will need to re-enact past glories in bringing education to a place of priority, not only in access, but in quality

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/242266-analysis-waec-rating-highlights-dwindling-fortunes-education-south-west-nigeria.html
Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by Onliie(m): 5:28am On Sep 04, 2017
WAEC has been hacked. Last ssce examination 2017, questions leaked just before the exams. This is not rumour, I saw it with my own eyes. The ones that failed are actually the honest students while most of the passes are thru examination malpractices in one form or the other.
Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by Ogurube: 7:34am On Sep 04, 2017
bakynes:

What is the essence of performing well in WAEC and not going for further education into the University and just diverting into trade just like many people do in the SE.

University Education is the most important form of Formal education and that is the criteria we should be looking at here not basic secondary education.

Wow! If you are from the SW or any of the failing states, your poor reasoning explains their lackluster performance. The essence of WAEC is to show that you have been taught and understand the subjects examined, which is a sine qua non for advancing your life through college, if you can afford it or have the fortitude. Also, critical thinking, which you obviously lack, is required of students in the SS and SE. HOW DARE YOU MOCK TRADERS? It's a crying shame that the SW and North are behind developmentally, even with the advantage they've been given since independence. With your many years of economic and religious better-than-thou, you all should have evolved beyond the rustic and dusty squalor we see in your hinterlands. By the way, 47 years after the Biafran War ended, I hope you know the number of WAEC-holding SEasterners who become traders are the outlier in the normal distribution of careers for WAEC holders and college grads. Nonetheless, those traders who hustle hard to surviver Nigeria have a far superior IQ and knowledge than the SWesterners and Northerners who take WAEC but don't go on to university. QED.

2 Likes

Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by betterABIAstate: 8:36am On Sep 04, 2017
jonnytad:

Maybe you should mention. .... names, lets talk about universities first. Btw the first 10 Universities in Nigeria both private, Federal government, state government, how many is from the east? How many can complete with the likes of U.I, OAU, UNILAG,FUNNAB, BABCOCK, CONVENANT...... ETC.
it doesn't matter, education is declining in the west
Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by intricate(m): 9:01am On Sep 04, 2017
EmekaMD:
Truth is..
I love the kind of competition between the SE and the SW; it's a healthy one..

They used to brag that they're the "surfisticated race" in Nigeria.

We took the challenge and here we are today..

Let's keep challenging each other to do better. It's healthy for us all..

#bring it on!!
WAEC to me is no yard stick for measuring standard. The examination is rife with malpractices of gross proportion and who knows maybe the East is just better at cheating. But regardless education in the East has been given high precedence and it will pay off if it has not already started doing so
Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by EmekaMD(m): 9:07am On Sep 04, 2017
intricate:
WAEC to me is no yard stick for measuring standard. The examination is rife with malpractices of gross proportion and who knows maybe the East is just better at cheating. But regardless education in the East has been given high precedence and it will pay off if it has not already started doing so
Google up these statistics for ursef

Check the most educated state in Nigeria
Check the state with the highest number of professors

How else do u want to measure it?
What other yardsticks do u want?

We've overtaken u guys tee tee..
20yrs from now u guys won't see our backs forever..

1 Like

Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by EmekaMD(m): 9:14am On Sep 04, 2017
intricate:
check this out

Re: WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria by totit: 9:46am On Sep 04, 2017
ofai:

too bad. noise noise noise. **ignores you**

Keep kwayeet Mr Thomas.
Whatever the so called 'Thomas' wrote about yeeboo is simply is personal opinion hence it hold no water,and that's why you couldn't answer the simple question I asked you, ' is Mr Thomas a statistician grin grin

He shared is personal opinion as any damn person can praise anybody- no be crime but using that as a criteria or measurement for whatever you claim in place of well researched stats is nothing less to low. You no dey shame ni shocked grin. I can dig as many as Mr Thomas somewhere in the world praises on yoruba as well if I want. Stop feeling funky over one yeye oral praises on your tribe, Mr Thomas. Looool grin

Gerrarahere meheeen grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

School Gives Goat As Prize For First Position In A Primary School / ASUU Holds Emergency NEC Meeting On Monday Over Half Salary / Unilag Student Sold His Kidney To Graduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.