Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,449 members, 7,808,604 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:09 PM

Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes (39130 Views)

10 Quick Health Facts / Shocking But True: Meet Man That Has Died Nine Times! (photos) / Don't Waste Sperm, It Useful, Check Out Health Facts Of Sperm & Semen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by shigishege: 11:00pm On Sep 03, 2017
emazy10:
cool
u think say u dey do me...
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by Aminat508(f): 11:16pm On Sep 03, 2017
Hashimyussufamao:
now lemme c0man modify *oju loba ara koluwa ma sowa sokun aye #buh nairalanders its been a while i hear from aminat508 *madridguy oya take bike and goan look 4her take tolexander along
I'm here dearie z I have bn so busy with work. But I'm fully back now. How u dey? kiss
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by frisky2good(m): 11:18pm On Sep 03, 2017
doctorkush:
why is an average Nigerian always having red eyes or are we genetically mutated?

No be small thing eye dey see for naija o grin
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by toprealman: 11:20pm On Sep 03, 2017
Our ladies seem to be aware of no.31 hence the need for an extended version of it.....abi?
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by boookworm: 11:33pm On Sep 03, 2017
I have this issue of my eyes always bringing out tears whenever i'm on a bike and the weather is cold
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by DCONE1(m): 11:41pm On Sep 03, 2017
wow
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by coolh3ad(m): 11:46pm On Sep 03, 2017
Akshow:
No 12 na lie. U can sneeze with ur eyes opened.

Lol. Bros stop na. You wan make I dab for you no. ....
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by coolh3ad(m): 11:48pm On Sep 03, 2017
luminouz:

Who asked u undecided
I have purple!!!

Me green and orange
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by luminouz(m): 11:50pm On Sep 03, 2017
coolh3ad:

Me green and orange
Lmaooooo!!!
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by nas00(m): 12:12am On Sep 04, 2017
michaelo2:
Your eye is one of the most intresting and still mysterious part of the body. Almost every human on the planet depends on them everyday, but how much do you really know about your eyes, and how they work?

Here are 50 intresting facts that you may not know about your eyes.

1. The most common eye colour in the world is brown.

2. Your eye is the quickest muscle in your body – which is why when something happens quickly, we say ‘in the blink of an eye!' Which is actually one tenth of a second.

3. You see with your brain, not your eyes. Our eyes function like a camera, capturing light and sending data back to the brain.

4. You have two eyeballs in order to give you depth perception – comparing two images allows you to determine how far away an object is from you.

5. Eye colour is determined by the amount of melanin in your iris.

6. 20/20 vision simply means that you have normal vision.

7. Your eyes become tired when you read or stare at a computer for long, this is because you blink less often.

8. Although our nose and ears keep growing throughout our lives, our eyes remain the same size from birth.

9. You blink more when you talk.

10. People generally read 25% slower on screen than on paper.

11. All babies are born colour blind.

12. It’s impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.

13. Your eye can see 500 shades of grey.

14. You blink on average 4,200,000 times a year.

15. Your cornea is the only tissue in your body which doesn’t contain blood vessels.

16. Your eye can function at 100% at any given moment, without needing to rest.

17. Smoking reduces your night vision.

18. Your eyelashes have an average lifespan of five months.

19. A newborn baby will cry, but not produce any tears. Babies do not produce tears until they are around six weeks old.

20. Your eyes are made up of over 200 million working parts.

21. In the right conditions and lighting, you can see the light of a candle from 14 miles away.

22. The shark cornea is used in human eye surgery as it is the most similar to a human's cornea.

23. Your eye only sees three colours, red, blue and green. All other colours are combination of these colours.

24. Your eye muscles are the most active muscles in the human body.

25. It’s possible for you to blink five times in a single second.

26. Your eyes has around 107 million light sensitive cells.

27. Your eyes has 7 million cones which help you see colour and detail, as well as 100 million cells called rods which help you to see better in the dark.

28. A blink typically lasts 100-150 milliseconds.

29. A blue-eyed person share a common ancestor with every other blue-eyed person in the world.

30. Your eyes close reflexly to protect you from perceived dangers.

31. Your eyelashes keep dirt out of your eyes.

32. Your eyebrows prevent sweat dripping into your eyes.

33. Heterochromia refers to a condition where your eyes are two different colours.

34. Your eyes are positioned in a hollowed socket to protect it.

35. Eyes are the second most complex organ after the brain.

36. You have unseen, and harmless, microscopic creatures living in your eyelashes.

37. The muscles in your eye are 100 times stronger than they need to be to perform their function.

38. When your eyes are watering it may be a sign of dry-eye, and your eyes are producing more moisture to compensate.

39. Your eyes start to develop just two weeks after conception.

40. The older you get, the less tears you produce.

41. Your eyes are able to process 36,000 pieces of information in a single hour.

42. Colour blindness is more common in males.

43. Reading in dim lighting does not damage your eyes but it may tire them out.

44. Oily fish, vitamin A and vitamin C all help you to preserve good eyesight.

45. When working at a computer, you should follow the 20-20-20 rule – look at something twenty feet away from your computer every twenty minutes for twenty seconds. It keeps your eyes healthy.

46. Eye transplants are currently impossible due to the sensitivity of the optic nerve.

47. 0nly one sixth of the your eyeball is exposed. That shows how huge it is.

48. If you lined up all the eyelashes shed during one human life, they would measure 98 feet long.

49. You see things upside down - it is your brain which turns the image the right way up.

50. The space between your eyebrows is called the Glabella.

Shocking isn't it, but also intresting.
Do share.

http://www.healththismoment.com/2017/09/shocking-health-facts-about-your-eyes.html?m=1

Points 8 and 15 are WRONG.

- The eyeball grows from birth till around puberty, but the most rapid period of growth is between birth to about 8 years of age.

- The cornea is not the only avascular tissue in the body. Still within the eyeball, the crystalline LENS has no blood vessels!

The nails have no blood supply too
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by mrErific: 1:23am On Sep 04, 2017
Thank u so much for this facts. How about the role of glasses in correcting the eyes. Does that really work?
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by iamnlia(m): 3:56am On Sep 04, 2017
DonroxyII:
So, Na upside down I dey see things but my brain dey turn dem up !!!

hmmmm...... I dey smell l**s ooo
You no do biology??
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by Dshocker(m): 5:45am On Sep 04, 2017
Evaberry:

smoking reduces your night vision

Do you smoke?

1 Like

Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by millhouse: 6:33am On Sep 04, 2017
All seeing eye
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by takenadoh: 6:55am On Sep 04, 2017
I can sbeeze with my eyes fully open
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by Emmanuel555(m): 7:27am On Sep 04, 2017
DonroxyII:
So, Na upside down I dey see things but my brain dey turn dem up !!!

hmmmm...... I dey smell l**s ooo

its no lies you see objects upside down, but your brain interprets it in the right way
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by Emmanuel555(m): 7:31am On Sep 04, 2017
Nice write up
These facts will help me in my study of optometry
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by psalmson001: 7:52am On Sep 04, 2017
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by viktooh(m): 7:54am On Sep 04, 2017
Good piece! Can't help but wonder how people like Segun Arinze, Yemi Black...would feel about des information�
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by mecussey(m): 8:19am On Sep 04, 2017
doctorkush:
why is an average Nigerian always having red eyes or are we genetically mutated?

too much kush, due to bad govt.
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by Digriz(m): 9:26am On Sep 04, 2017
like this puppy,Heterochromia eye.

Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by thinkmoney(m): 10:17am On Sep 04, 2017
nice bro...really nice
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by DJInfluence: 10:41am On Sep 04, 2017
informative. Thanks
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by Uzyvicks(f): 10:54am On Sep 04, 2017
That of the new born not producing tears till after around 6wks really got me
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by Dmec(m): 12:02pm On Sep 04, 2017

E be like say dis no 25 na true oooo. I try am but my eye won comot.
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by Mynet11(m): 12:39pm On Sep 04, 2017
Please is point 7 and 16 not contradictory Just asking
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by iamnlia(m): 12:56pm On Sep 04, 2017
You have a third eye(the pineal gland) located at dead center of your forehead in your brain. It has histological characteristics of our eyes... Read it up wink
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by deltaprince1: 1:45pm On Sep 05, 2017
grin grin grin
doctorkush:

Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by Matthewdan(m): 4:09pm On Sep 05, 2017
michaelo2:
Your eye is one of the most intresting and still mysterious part of the body. Almost every human on the planet depends on them everyday, but how much do you really know about your eyes, and how they work?

Here are 50 intresting facts that you may not know about your eyes.

1. The most common eye colour in the world is brown.

2. Your eye is the quickest muscle in your body – which is why when something happens quickly, we say ‘in the blink of an eye!' Which is actually one tenth of a second.

3. You see with your brain, not your eyes. Our eyes function like a camera, capturing light and sending data back to the brain.

4. You have two eyeballs in order to give you depth perception – comparing two images allows you to determine how far away an object is from you.

5. Eye colour is determined by the amount of melanin in your iris.

6. 20/20 vision simply means that you have normal vision.

7. Your eyes become tired when you read or stare at a computer for long, this is because you blink less often.

8. Although our nose and ears keep growing throughout our lives, our eyes remain the same size from birth.

9. You blink more when you talk.

10. People generally read 25% slower on screen than on paper.

11. All babies are born colour blind.

12. It’s impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.

13. Your eye can see 500 shades of grey.

14. You blink on average 4,200,000 times a year.

15. Your cornea is the only tissue in your body which doesn’t contain blood vessels.

16. Your eye can function at 100% at any given moment, without needing to rest.

17. Smoking reduces your night vision.

18. Your eyelashes have an average lifespan of five months.

19. A newborn baby will cry, but not produce any tears. Babies do not produce tears until they are around six weeks old.

20. Your eyes are made up of over 200 million working parts.

21. In the right conditions and lighting, you can see the light of a candle from 14 miles away.

22. The shark cornea is used in human eye surgery as it is the most similar to a human's cornea.

23. Your eye only sees three colours, red, blue and green. All other colours are combination of these colours.

24. Your eye muscles are the most active muscles in the human body.

26. Your eyes has around 107 million light sensitive cells.

27. Your eyes has 7 million cones which help you see colour and detail, as well as 100 million cells called rods which help you to see better in the dark.

28. A blink typically lasts 100-150 milliseconds.

29. A blue-eyed person share a common ancestor with every other blue-eyed person in the world.

30. Your eyes close reflexly to protect you from perceived dangers.

31. Your eyelashes keep dirt out of your eyes.

32. Your eyebrows prevent sweat dripping into your eyes.

33. Heterochromia refers to a condition where your eyes are two different colours.

34. Your eyes are positioned in a hollowed socket to protect it.

35. Eyes are the second most complex organ after the brain.

36. You have unseen, and harmless, microscopic creatures living in your eyelashes.

37. The muscles in your eye are 100 times stronger than they need to be to perform their function.

38. When your eyes are watering it may be a sign of dry-eye, and your eyes are producing more moisture to compensate.

39. Your eyes start to develop just two weeks after conception.

40. The older you get, the less tears you produce.

41. Your eyes are able to process 36,000 pieces of information in a single hour.

42. Colour blindness is more common in males.

43. Reading in dim lighting does not damage your eyes but it may tire them out.

44. Oily fish, vitamin A and vitamin C all help you to preserve good eyesight.

45. When working at a computer, you should follow the 20-20-20 rule – look at something twenty feet away from your computer every twenty minutes for twenty seconds. It keeps your eyes healthy.

46. Eye transplants are currently impossible due to the sensitivity of the optic nerve.

47. 0nly one sixth of the your eyeball is exposed. That shows how huge it is.

48. If you lined up all the eyelashes shed during one human life, they would measure 98 feet long.

49. You see things upside down - it is your brain which turns the image the right way up.

50. The space between your eyebrows is called the Glabella.

Shocking isn't it, but also intresting.
Do share.

http://www.healththismoment.com/2017/09/shocking-health-facts-about-your-eyes.html?m=1

and someone will tell me all these came through Evolution
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by Matthewdan(m): 4:14pm On Sep 05, 2017
[color=#006600][/color]
doctorkush:

maybE those with reD eye are somehow related to Smokers all over the world undecided
doctorkush:

maybE those with reD eye are somehow related to Smokers all over the world
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by Wisedove(m): 9:05am On Oct 07, 2017
thoollz:

U sure say u b wisedove or foolishen
i'm the cause of the problem in your life ?

abi se na must for you to comment ni?
Re: Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes by thoollz: 10:54am On Oct 07, 2017
Wisedove:
i'm the cause of the problem in your life ?

abi se na must for you to comment ni?
Lol, no chill, savage u are. Don't be too serious man. Na yabaleft serious people dey o

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Train Your Brain To Stop Worrying ! / FG To Arrest Peddlers Of Salt Solution Cure For Ebola As Two New Cases Identifie / Dr Kikelomo Ogunlela Anunobi Saves Life Of Man In UK As Colleagues Take Tea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.