Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:18 PM

I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) (37938 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by sangresan(m): 1:50pm On Sep 04, 2017
cstr1000:

Chinua Achebe being a far superior writer is her mentor. She has attested to that many times. It is on youtube.
What form did the mentoring take? Really? For the father of modern african literature?
Go and ask her. Bad belle people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Na23h9-AE
African literature has no mother or father...Ditch this superfluous use of the word....Achebe was a great writer of fiction...dassol.
Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by cstr1000: 2:01pm On Sep 04, 2017
sangresan:

African literature has no mother or father...Ditch this superfluous use of the word....Achebe was a great writer of fiction...dassol.
The key word is modern african literature.
Chinua Achebe was the first african writer in modern times to break global contemporary literature circles and show the rest of the world that africans are intelligent beings.
When the highly respected european nobel laureate, Joseph Conrad, wrote a book called ''heart of darkness'' in 1899, depicting africa as a dark continent filled with half humans -half beasts, chinua achebe was the first and only african author to correct that assertion specifically.
It cost Chinua a nobel prize, but then fucck that. The old man achieved a far greater status.

https://theculturetrip.com/africa/nigeria/articles/chinua-achebe-the-father-of-african-literature/
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2007/jul/10/chinuaachebe
http://amsterdamnews.com/news/2013/jun/20/chinua-achebe-the-father-of-african-literature/
Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by laudate: 2:04pm On Sep 04, 2017
OkpekeBeauty:
3. Chimamnda is presently married to an Edo man who is not counted as Biafran, so wisdom should teach her to be soft on Biafra in other to keep her family. Because of her marriage, she can not say she is Biafran, but we all know where she belongs. When Soyinka wished Achebe did not write that memoir, Chimamnda supported Achebe(that was before her marriage) read here
Chimamanda Adichie is NOT married to an Edo man. Her husband Dr. Ivara Esege is from Itigidi in Cross River State. He’s mixed-race. His parents are deceased. His dad was from the old Cross River State, and his mom was Scottish. undecided

1 Like

Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by sangresan(m): 2:07pm On Sep 04, 2017
cstr1000:

The key word is modern african literature.
Chinua Achebe was the first african writer in modern times to break global contemporary literature circles and show the rest of the world that africans are intelligent beings.
When the highly respected european nobel laureate, Joseph Conrad, wrote a book called ''heart of darkness'' in 1899, depicting africa as a dark continent filled with half humans -half beasts, chinua achebe was the first and only african author to correct that assertion specifically.
It cost Chinua a nobel prize, but then fucck that. The old man achieved a far greater status.

https://theculturetrip.com/africa/nigeria/articles/chinua-achebe-the-father-of-african-literature/
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2007/jul/10/chinuaachebe
http://amsterdamnews.com/news/2013/jun/20/chinua-achebe-the-father-of-african-literature/
Is that all what you know about African Literature?....Bro,Achebe was a great writer but not the father or mother of anything....I don't know where you pick up this line of Achebe being denied the Nobel laureate because of his criticism of Conrad..
Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by cstr1000: 2:10pm On Sep 04, 2017
sangresan:

Is that all what you know about African Literature?....Bro,Achebe was a great writer but not the father or mother of anything....I don't know where you pick up this line of Achebe being denied the Nobel laureate because of his criticism of Conrad..
I give you links and opinions of respected press and literature houses and you are giving me what?
Go and argue with guardian or amsterdamnews.
Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by laudate: 2:11pm On Sep 04, 2017
NOETHNICITY:
Trying to correct u is now tribal bigotry, right?
I just wonder for some f u guys sha.
No mind am. Na so dem dey do. sad They always accuse others, of the specific sins that they themselves are guilty of, which they currently practise. Ignore the clown. undecided

1 Like

Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by sangresan(m): 2:15pm On Sep 04, 2017
Those who you accuse of denying Achebe the Nobel prize are the ones you still reference as calling him ,"The mother of African Literature"....Isnt that ironic?
Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by sangresan(m): 2:17pm On Sep 04, 2017
cstr1000:

I give you links and opinions of respected press and literature houses and you are giving me what?
Go and argue with guardian or amsterdamnews.
Opinion is cheap....

1 Like

Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by cstr1000: 2:19pm On Sep 04, 2017
sangresan:

Opinion is cheap....
Not when it is backed by legitimacy from respected media who knows a thing or two about the evolution of literature.
Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by cstr1000: 2:20pm On Sep 04, 2017
sangresan:
Those who you accuse of denying Achebe the Nobel prize are the ones you still reference as calling him ,"The mother of African Literature"....Isnt that ironic?
The nobel board consisting of white supremacists denied him not the entire Europe.
He got a lot of recognition from Europe and america later on in life.
Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by sangresan(m): 2:38pm On Sep 04, 2017
cstr1000:

The nobel board consisting of white supremacists denied him not the entire Europe.
He got a lot of recognition from Europe and america later on in life.
Ogbeni,stop deceiving yourself....Your tale is akin to that of a brilliant child who came 2nd in a general exam and still accuse the school of punishing him with his 2nd position...

The links you put up there contain selective opinions of some individuals....No credible European newspaper will ever write an editorial that Achebe is the mother of African literature,modern or not.

If Achebe deserved it,they would have given it to him...Many great white authors also didn't win the prize...Do you even know the members of the committee or you are just repeating junks you pick up on Nairaland and elsewhere?
Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by donqx: 2:41pm On Sep 04, 2017
really
Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by cstr1000: 2:48pm On Sep 04, 2017
sangresan:

Ogbeni,stop deceiving yourself....Your tale is akin to that of a brilliant child who came 2nd in a general exam and still accuse the school of punishing him with his 2nd position...

The links you put up there contain selective opinions of some individuals....No credible European newspaper will ever write an editorial that Achebe is the mother of African literature,modern or not.

If Achebe deserved it,they would have given it to him...Many great white authors also didn't win the prize...Do you even know the members of the committee or you are just repeating junks you pick up on Nairaland and elsewhere?
He came second in class to who?
Let me start with that first. The rest of your post is rubbish that does not deserve my response yet.
He came in second place to who? Which writer in africa has his level of international respect and recognition?
Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by sangresan(m): 2:53pm On Sep 04, 2017
cstr1000:

He came second in class to who?
Let me start with that first. The rest of your post is rubbish that does not deserve my response yet.
He came in second place to who? Which writer in africa has his level of international respect and recognition?
So,Nobel prize is about "perceived" respect and recognition?...Well,that's what you think....The committee don't think like that...Keep your opinion to yourself...
Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by cstr1000: 2:55pm On Sep 04, 2017
sangresan:

So,Nobel prize is about "perceived" respect and recognition?...Well,that's what you think....The committee don't think like that...Keep your opinion to yourself...
Then what is nobel prize about if not recognition?
Guy, are you high?
Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by sangresan(m): 3:01pm On Sep 04, 2017
Well,to educate those who might have been misled like you.One of Alfred Nobel's stipulations states that it should be awarded to authors who wrote clearly "idealistic" works........

Judge for yourself...
Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by sangresan(m): 3:01pm On Sep 04, 2017
Well,to educate those who might have been misled like you.One of Alfred Nobel's stipulations states that it should be awarded to authors who wrote clearly "idealistic" works........

Judge for yourself...
Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by sangresan(m): 3:33pm On Sep 04, 2017
I pity people who come onto Nairaland to expose their ignorance....Is Achebe greater than George Orwell?

What about Leo Tolstoy?

Tell us why Thomas Hardy(whose books influenced Mahatma Gandhi's views on nonviolence) didn't win the Nobel.

Can you please explain why Henry Ibsen(who influenced such great writers like George Bernard Shaw and Oscar Wilde) didn't win the Prize?

Kafka,Robert Frost,Nabokov,Chekhov and Borges all didn't win for reasons best known to the Committee...These are men whose works influenced a lot of cultural and political revolutions yet not considered for the big Prize.They didn't concoct surreal tales for their miss.

1 Like

Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by frleopardo: 4:25pm On Sep 04, 2017
sangresan:
I pity people who come onto Nairaland to expose their ignorance....Is Achebe greater than George Orwell?

What about Leo Tolstoy?

Tell us why Thomas Hardy (whose books influenced Mahatma Gandhi's views on nonviolence) didn't win the Nobel.

Can you please explain why Henry Ibsen(who influenced such great writers like George Bernard Shaw and Oscar Wilde) didn't win the Prize?

Kafka,Robert Frost,Nabokov,Chekhov and Borges all didn't win for reasons best known to the Committee...These are men whose works influenced a lot of cultural and political revolutions yet not considered for the big Prize.They didn't concoct surreal tales for their miss.

there ain't no Nobel price for literature during hardy's.
Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by Okwyjesus(m): 7:44pm On Sep 04, 2017
laudate:

I agree! wink Achebe inspired Adichie, but did not mentor her. She has admitted countless times, that she drew inspiration from his works. But she did not receive any 'mentoring' from him, did she? undecided

Of course no.
Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by NSK4U(m): 11:48am On Sep 09, 2017
really?

ok......
Do your Registration and Training for all INTERNATIONAL EXAMS including TOEFL, IELTS, GMAT, SAT1, GRE, PTE, SAT2. @

GLOBAL VISION INTERNATIONAL
EDUCATION & TRAVELS.

We accept ZERO DEPOSIT { ie Get your VISA to America, Canada, France, UK, etc from us before you pay} from our clients that wish to go on vacation, work, or visit any of the aforementioned countries and more. for further info, call/whatsap us via 08145705687.
Re: I Did Not Say I Am A Biafran - Chimamanda Adichie (Photo) by Nobody: 5:47am On Sep 10, 2017
Basic123:

yIGBOs can say anything to inflate their ego,lies,claiming ownership of 75% of anything good and empty chestbeats

Na inferiority complex dey worry them and all those lies and empty chestbeat are its defensive mechanisms.
and where it cant work,they blame it on others,especially Afonjas.

We know those with inferiority complex. The Igbo's have superiority complex ,hence the all round envy of the Igbo's.
The gambaris and afonjas are most envious of the Igbo's. Unfortunately the more they envy and murder them the richer they become while their killers remain poor.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lust City / The River / Tears Of A Soldier............ A Military War Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.