Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,834 members, 7,806,347 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:06 PM

RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? (11720 Views)

Visiting Nigeria For The First Time In 2 Years, Any Advice / School Of Nursing Or Bsc Nursing / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by faheez(m): 9:15am On Sep 04, 2017
Good morning great Nurses, I'm opening this thread for Nurses like myself who may want to complete their university undergraduate degree program in the UK.
I know a lot of us (RN holders) are not happy about the fact that we have to spend another 4years in the university before getting our BNSc here in Nigeria .
This thread is aimed at helping individuals who nurtures the dream of obtaining a degree certificate under one calendar year (12month) in UK.
I know of very few universities offering this program.
>University of Sunderland
>Anglia Ruskin university
>Nottingham university
And price range for the tuition is £10,000 that about 5million naira, other expenses exclusive.
I would like Nigerian nurses who has already passed through/has useful information about this program to please enlighten us about it, by telling us how feasible the process is, the struggle and challenges to be faced, cost of living, the merit and the demerit if any..
cc. lalasticlala, TemmyAdeJosh, mamajaz, desy24444, Barbiee, WellEndowed, auschris gratefulme40
,IYIMAN, AjaoSandra
please do the needful.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by Majestgift: 4:46pm On Sep 04, 2017
My little contribution: There are other African countries doing this RN - BSN in a 12month duration or less(1 academic year) Eg, Cameroon, South African am 100% sure about it n at a cheaper rate.
The last time I visited Cameroon, I saw so many ppl from Nigeria who came for the program n have also gotten their certificate. I can recommend schools to you.
Unless u want to go to UK for better opportunities.. shey u grab naaa
Note: pls don't do it on a part time basis in any African country don't know abt UK.
But if u have the means enough just 4get d African country issue.
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by faheez(m): 10:07pm On Sep 04, 2017
Majestgift:
My little contribution: There are other African countries doing this RN - BSN in a 12month duration or less(1 academic year) Eg, Cameroon, South African am 100% sure about it n at a cheaper rate.
The last time I visited Cameroon, I saw so many ppl from Nigeria who came for the program n have also gotten their certificate. I can recommend schools to you.
Unless u want to go to UK for better opportunities.. shey u grab naaa
Note: pls don't do it on a part time basis in any African country don't know abt UK.
But if u have the means enough just 4get d African country issue.
Thanks for the information, pls do recommend school for me
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by Lexusgs430: 10:56pm On Sep 04, 2017
faheez:
Good morning great Nurses, I'm opening this thread for Nurses like myself who may want to complete their university undergraduate degree program in the UK.
I know a lot of us (RN holders) are not happy about the fact that we have to spend another 4years in the university before getting our BNSc here in Nigeria .
This thread is aimed at helping individuals who nurtures the dream of obtaining a degree certificate under one calendar year (12month) in UK.
>Nottingham university
And price range for the tuition is £10,000 that about 5million naira, other expenses exclusive.
I would like Nigerian nurses who has already passed through/has useful information about this program to please enlighten us about it, by telling us how feasible the process is, the struggle and challenges to be faced, cost of living, the merit and the demerit if any..
cc. lalasticlala, TemmyAdeJosh, mamajaz, desy24444, Barbiee, WellEndowed, auschris gratefulme40
,IYIMAN, AjaoSandra
please do the needful.
Thank you

Would this training in the UK involve placements ?

Does the applicant have any related degree certificates ?
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by faheez(m): 5:41pm On Sep 05, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Would this training in the UK involve placements ?

Does the applicant have any related degree certificates ?
pls be more explanatory, I don't seems to understand your questions.. but for the question one.
After the completion of the program, one is not automatically qualified to work in the UK. one will be expected to sit for NMC exams.
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by Lexusgs430: 6:44pm On Sep 05, 2017
faheez:

pls be more explanatory, I don't seems to understand your questions.. but for the question one.
After the completion of the program, one is not automatically qualified to work in the UK. one will be expected to sit for NMC exams.

I am simply picking details from what you posted. After the year course, would the applicant become a registered nurse?
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by faheez(m): 7:28pm On Sep 05, 2017
Lexusgs430:

I am simply picking details from what you posted. After the year course, would the applicant become a registered nurse?
You have to be a registered nurse before you are qualified to enrol for the program.. registered nurses diploma RN which is 3years + the 1 year program = bachelor of nursing science.

1 Like

Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by Lexusgs430: 7:31pm On Sep 05, 2017
faheez:

You have to be a registered nurse before you are qualified to enrol for the program.. registered nurses diploma RN which is 3years + the 1 year program = bachelor of nursing science.

Now much clearer... £10,000....... WOW
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by faheez(m): 9:17pm On Sep 05, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Now much clearer... £10,000....... WOW
are you a nurse or you are related to one?
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by Lexusgs430: 9:57pm On Sep 05, 2017
faheez:

are you a nurse or you are related to one?

Related to one
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by Majestgift: 10:39pm On Sep 05, 2017
faheez:
Thanks for the information, pls do recommend school for me
Check out, Bamenda university of science and technology (Bust) Catholic university of Cameroon, kumbo campus st. Monica university, Buea... University of Buea. if u need further assistance let me know.
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by faheez(m): 10:52pm On Sep 05, 2017
Majestgift:

Check out,
Bamenda university of science and technology (Bust)
Catholic university of Cameroon, kumbo campus
st. Monica university, Buea...
University of Buea.
if u need further assistance let me know.
Thanks so much, the assistance you are giving out here is not just for me, but for others who might need such information.. how about schools in South Africa?
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by faheez(m): 11:48am On Sep 29, 2017
majestgift, pls I would like to know more about these conversion program available in Ghana and South Africa. pls help me find time to share every info that you have about this 2 countries. Thanks and God bless you.
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by claremont(m): 12:10pm On Sep 29, 2017
Uni'Sunderland has got a very good Nursing programme, their Nursing simulation suite just received a massive upgrade. Plus, their fees are competitive as well when compared to other schools. I might be a bit biased because I schooled there on a different programme, but I did have a look around their Nursing suite whilst there.
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by faheez(m): 2:41pm On Sep 29, 2017
claremont:
Uni'Sunderland has got a very good Nursing programme, their Nursing simulation suite just received a massive upgrade. Plus, their fees are competitive as well when compared to other schools. I might be a bit biased because I schooled there on a different programme, but I did have a look around their Nursing suite whilst there.
in short, the school is very good and the tuition is worth it? any other added information? thanks
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by Ekitibiased(m): 7:25pm On Sep 09, 2018
Majestgift:

Check out,
Bamenda university of science and technology (Bust)
Catholic university of Cameroon, kumbo campus
st. Monica university, Buea...
University of Buea.
if u need further assistance let me know.

Pls I need further info...how can I contact you pls
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by faheez(m): 8:45pm On Sep 12, 2018
good evening everyone..
it's been a long time on this thread.
pple should pls come and share experiences they've gathered over the year on this topic we are discussing here..
enlighten us pls..
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by doggedfighter(f): 11:38am On Jun 05, 2020
faheez:
good evening everyone..
it's been a long time on this thread.
pple should pls come and share experiences they've gathered over the year on this topic we are discussing here..
enlighten us pls..

Hello Faheez, would like to ask you some questions, please
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by faheez(m): 10:45pm On Jun 07, 2020
doggedfighter:

Hello Faheez, would like to ask you some questions, please
email me
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by doggedfighter(f): 11:08pm On Jun 07, 2020
faheez:
email me
Just wanted to know if you have any idea about any part time nursing program in Nigeria? That's for people who have never been to school of nursing before.
Thanks
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by faheez(m): 12:39am On Jun 08, 2020
doggedfighter:

Just wanted to know if you have any idea about any part time nursing program in Nigeria? That's for people who have never been to school of nursing before.
Thanks
No, there is none. But if you have RN from school of nursing, there are part time BSc Nursing programs.
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by doggedfighter(f): 8:29am On Jun 08, 2020
faheez:

No, there is none. But if you have RN from school of nursing, there are part time BSc Nursing programs.

Okay thanks
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by oyetunjibaba: 11:21am On Sep 12, 2020
faheez:
>Nottingham university
,IYIMAN, AjaoSandra
please do the needful.
Thank you

Hi,I need information on the steps and
requirements to follow if I want to switch
has an Human anatomy graduate in Nigeria to a
Nursing degree in UK.
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by barbiee: 5:23am On Dec 28, 2020
Nice thread for those that can come up with 5M for tuition fees excluding flight, visa, accommodation and living expenses. I also spent some time trying to come over to the UK through this route in the past and let me honest, it's not worth it except you are from a rich family that can sponsor you without feeling the financial burden but if you are like me then it's better to register as a nurse in the UK and come over to work. Dont spend your money on UK government, its cheaper for you to write CBT and IELTS and let your employer sponsor you over than to spend millions schooling in the UK.
Let me break it down..
If you are already a nurse in Nigeria then start the UK registration process, worst case scenario, you will be in the UK in one year (this pandemic is making things slower so it might be more) but when you get here you will be earning in pounds up to 1 million naira monthly depending on your employer. After staying in the UK for 5 years, you will be eligible for indefinite leave and after another one year you can apply for citizenship. When you get your ILR, you can further your education and pay the domestic fees which is lower than that £10,000 tuition for international students.

If you decide to use the school route and pay the fees for you to get your BSC now, completing that program does not guarantee that you will be registered with NMC UK. Nmc is more interested in your initial program that first made you a nurse so you will still be asked to verify your NMCN license. This route is longer in my opinion and you will be on a student visa so you cant work more than 20 hrs a week. You will probably get a job as a care assistant or a retail job and you will be earning minimum wage while you wait for NMC UK to verify your NMCN qualifications.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone though. Like I said earlier, if you have the money then go for it.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by barbiee: 5:30am On Dec 28, 2020
oyetunjibaba:

Hi,I need information on the steps and
requirements to follow if I want to switch
has an Human anatomy graduate in Nigeria to a
Nursing degree in UK.
if you want to do it in the UK, contact the school you are considering to see if you can transfer some of your credits towards the nursing program and follow their advice.

If you want to make the switch here, you can either go through direct entry in a university and start from year two in a nursing program or buy the school of nursing form and do the program.

If you have a lot of money, you can do a second degree nursing program in USA for one year but be ready to pay millions for it.

3 Likes

Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by Focusmind: 6:46am On Dec 28, 2020
barbiee:
Nice thread for those that can come up with 5M for tuition fees excluding flight, visa, accommodation and living expenses. I also spent some time trying to come over to the UK through this route in the past and let me honest, it's not worth it except you are from a rich family that can sponsor you without feeling the financial burden but if you are like me then it's better to register as a nurse in the UK and come over to work. Dont spend your money on UK government, its cheaper for you to write CBT and IELTS and let your employer sponsor you over than to spend millions schooling in the UK.
Let me break it down..
If you are already a nurse in Nigeria then start the UK registration process, worst case scenario, you will be in the UK in one year (this pandemic is making things slower so it might be more) but when you get here you will be earning in pounds up to 1 million naira monthly depending on your employer. After staying in the UK for 5 years, you will be eligible for indefinite leave and after another one year you can apply for citizenship. When you get your ILR, you can further your education and pay the domestic fees which is lower than that £10,000 tuition for international students.

If you decide to use the school route and pay the fees for you to get your BSC now, completing that program does not guarantee that you will be registered with NMC UK. Nmc is more interested in your initial program that first made you a nurse so you will still be asked to verify your NMCN license. This route is longer in my opinion and you will be on a student visa so you cant work more than 20 hrs a week. You will probably get a job as a care assistant or a retail job and you will be earning minimum wage while you wait for NMC UK to verify your NMCN qualifications.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone though. Like I said earlier, if you have the money then go for it.

Please people,listen to this advise and assimilate. I hate it when I see struggling people spend their hard earned money over UK undergraduate qualifications. Don't get me wrong, it may pay or may not pay later.

Do your nursing here, whether degree or diploma, attach yourself to hospital and get at least 3 years practical experience. Read and prepare to write the UK nursing professional examination and registration. Then start sending your CV to NHS and other recruiting agencies to UK for sponsorship and employment.

This is best route. However, if you are rich and have the money, go to university of Sunderland. I have to advise my niece to go and register for a nursing program at the Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Hospital, Ihiala in Anambra state. After that, she should look for hospital to work, register with Nigeria council of nurses and midwifery, sit for the UK nursing exam and then wait for fortune to smile on her.

My brother in law has finished B. sc Psychology in Unizik and so far no job. We want him to enrolled for nursing program in clinical psychology or pyschiatics nursing after which he could sit for the UK exams. There are six to 18 months nursing programs one could do without going through the four walls of the University.

One of my maternal uncles qualified as a chartered accountant in the late 80s without attending university and today, he is a director in one of the ministries in Abuja.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by oyetunjibaba: 7:56pm On Dec 28, 2020
barbiee:

if you want to do it in the UK, contact the school you are considering to see if you can transfer some of your credits towards the nursing program and follow their advice.

If you want to make the switch here, you can either go through direct entry in a university and start from year two in a nursing program or buy the school of nursing form and do the program.

If you have a lot of money, you can do a second degree nursing program in USA for one year but be ready to pay millions for it.
barbiee:

Thank you so much sis...i really appreciate your comment
Mehn! I think I will stick with naija, , i already applied for nursing into a state university here in naija.i pray it work out... I also collected nursing school form.

God bless you sis for your respond.
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by harmony940(m): 11:55pm On Dec 28, 2020
[quote author=Focusmind post=97486136]

Please people,listen to this advise and assimilate. I hate it when I see struggling people spend their hard earned money over UK undergraduate qualifications. Don't get me wrong, it may pay or may not pay later.

Do your nursing here, whether degree or diploma, attach yourself to hospital and get at least 3 years practical experience. Read and prepare to write the UK nursing professional examination and registration. Then start sending your CV to NHS and other recruiting agencies to UK for sponsorship and employment.

This is best route. However, if you are rich and have the money, go to university of Sunderland. I have to advise my niece to go and register for a nursing program at the Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Hospital, Ihiala in Anambra state. After that, she should look for hospital to work, register with Nigeria council of nurses and midwifery, sit for the UK nursing exam and then wait for fortune to smile on her.

My brother in law has finished B. sc Psychology in Unizik and so far no job. We want him to enrolled for nursing program in clinical psychology or pyschiatics nursing after which he could sit for the UK exams. There are six to 18 months nursing programs one could do without going through the four walls of the University.

One of my maternal uncles qualified as a chartered accountant in the late 80s without attending university and today, he is a director in one of the ministries in Abuja.[/quop

Thanks for your explanation,please can you shed more light on the 18 months nursing program without going to the university?
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by Focusmind: 6:30am On Dec 29, 2020
[quote author=harmony940 post=97511457][/quote]

Make enquiries, there are some establishments that are into nursing education in Nigeria like some of the Catholic owned big hospitals. I mentioned the two that I am aware of in Anambra state.

Our Lady of Lordes Hospital, Ihiala, St. Charles Borromeo Hospital Onitsha. Then we have the one owned by the Anglican church, Iyi-Enu Hospital, Ogidi also in Anambra

These are certificate programs in nursing that could last from six to eighteen months with certificates issued to you and not degree. Some could use them to seek for direct entry to Universities.

There are also federal school of nursing owned by the federal government. Research and find the states we have those kind of federal school of nursing.
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by Pily: 4:28pm On Jan 18, 2021
Focusmind:

One of my maternal uncles qualified as a chartered accountant in the late 80s without attending university and today, he is a director in one of the ministries in Abuja.
good day please can you help me by mentioning those programs (6-18months ) i have a Bachelors degree in Social Work, and i would love to work in UK. I wouldn't mind switching to nursing, through the route u mentioned. Though i am aware that social workers are also needed there, but i don't know how to go about it.
Re: RN-BSC Nursing In The UK. Any Advice? by Focusmind: 7:53pm On Jan 18, 2021
Pily:
good day please can you help me by mentioning those programs (6-18months ) i have a Bachelors degree in Social Work, and i would love to work in UK. I wouldn't mind switching to nursing, through the route u mentioned. Though i am aware that social workers are also needed there, but i don't know how to go about it.

Hello, read my other posts where I mentioned the potential institutions in Nigeria that offers short programs in nursing. Most catholic owned hospitals and some federal school of nursing. Just scout around.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tanker Drivers Protest In Owerri, Block Government House Road / 270k Giveaway To Lucky Nairalanders / This Amazing Circular Village In Denmark Looks Like Alien Civilization(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.