Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,850 members, 7,806,399 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections (21672 Views)

Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. / 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. / 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by jegz25(m): 12:48pm On Sep 05, 2017
HajimeSaito:
grin

Basic lessons in grammar for our less intellectually endowed colleagues from the Northside. Bayero Primary school and Usman Dan Fodio primary school graduates can relate.
Congrats on your successful attempt at lowering the jamb cut off mark. It's the only way that 99% of you will ever stand a chance of getting a university education.
why can't u see things beyond tribal, regional and religious line. I spit on your comment

Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by HajimeSaito(m): 12:52pm On Sep 05, 2017
jegz25:
why can't u see things beyond tribal, regional and religious line. I spit on your comment

Because in this country very little happens that is not motivated by those three factors. Maybe if you could grow a few brain cells you'd be in a position to figure out how this rubbish dump of a country actually works.

Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by patola080(m): 12:53pm On Sep 05, 2017
SkenolProp:
English too hard sef. Abeg,na communication matter jor. ahan ahan!! angry angry angry #MY SIGNATURE #MY PROFILE
u are right English language is not our fathers language jo

1 Like

Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by LanrexBaba(m): 12:55pm On Sep 05, 2017
the most important thing is when your bank account speak correct english
Who English epp? grin grin
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by wildchild02: 12:56pm On Sep 05, 2017
Educative

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get FREE CUSTOMIZATION, YES you heard me right FREE CUSTOMIZATION (Sallah Promo is still on)
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by chatinent: 12:57pm On Sep 05, 2017
Davash222:
hall and hall, you try . grin
Smiles.
Gmajor:
I stopped reading after number 5. There is nothing like brisket bone in the human body
do read here, sire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisket
9izone:
Very educating
thanks
I should be thanking you prettiest for reading my article.
ayamprecious:
3rd something reasonable Z being posted on this site
do I really deserve this honour? Thank you aplenty.
soberdrunk:
You people can correct all you want, 'biscuit bone' has been passed down to at least 'two generations' and it isnt going anywhere soon! angry
no bi lie, however, these corrections are for formalities.
HajimeSaito:

A sub evolved, ape descended maggot brain like you would know better of course.
Uncle, haba, you derailed from my content's drift.
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by barayci(m): 1:01pm On Sep 05, 2017
pls correct urself.. it is biscuit bone and not brisket bone as has been trending online.. briskit is flesh.. abd biscuit bone is a soft bone..dnt get it twisted..there is not like brisket bone

1 Like

Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by Nobody: 1:02pm On Sep 05, 2017
OP. Nothing like brisket bone. Brisket is not a bone. It's called biscuit bone cos of its soft nature. Make wiki your friend.
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by Brugo(m): 1:04pm On Sep 05, 2017
Nice. However, I have some reservations.

chatinent:

12. You boast for sth and not boast about it.
Actually, you can boast "of" or "about" something.

14. You get covered with sth and not by it.
An object can be covered by a protective layer. Context matters.

16. You become independent of sb/sth not from them.

You could be independent from (no longer ruled by) a country.

17. And, you become dependant on sb/sth not by/of them.
Perhaps, you mean "dependent".

I am not perfect myself.

1 Like

Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by Oluwafemi1900: 1:04pm On Sep 05, 2017
teamsynergy:
according to what biafrabushboi posted, we are not an English speaking country... so abeg carry ur collocation go UK..... lol...

I really don't care about how people speak, as long as I get the point they tryna make.... even oyinbos don't keep a hoot bout how well u speak..

sorry bro
I'm very much sure say Na F9 u go get for ur English in ur O'level
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by ayesco202(m): 1:06pm On Sep 05, 2017
Number 12, "boast for" or "boast of"?
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by elbuzzy(m): 1:08pm On Sep 05, 2017
Do ur research number 5 is wrong
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by slinkman(m): 1:09pm On Sep 05, 2017
Would you rather say "I AM COVERED BY INSURANCE " or "I AM COVERED WITH INSURANCE "? Which is correct ?
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by Gmajor(m): 1:13pm On Sep 05, 2017
chatinent:
Smiles.
do read here, sire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisket I should be thanking you prettiest for reading my article. do I really deserve this honour? Thank you aplenty.no bi lie, however, these corrections are for formalities. Uncle, haba, you derailed from my content's drift.
Brisket is a meat not a bone. When Nigerians say biscuit bone, we mean the soft bone that is crunchy
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by Phi001(m): 1:33pm On Sep 05, 2017
Every time, English corrections... angry angry

We have heard. Oya come and be going!!!
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by chatinent: 1:52pm On Sep 05, 2017
Phi001:
Every time, English corrections... angry angry

We have heard. Oya come and be going!!!
I'm gone. wink
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by teamsynergy: 2:28pm On Sep 05, 2017
Oluwafemi1900:

sorry bro
I'm very much sure say Na F9 u go get for ur English in ur O'level

now that u r sure cos u a fuccking seer... run along
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by Greatzeus(m): 2:58pm On Sep 05, 2017
HajimeSaito:

A sub evolved, ape descended maggot brain like you would know better of course.
Jesus,what kind of a person are you. How could you say such a thing. How do you live with yourself.
Remember there is no tribe,religion,social class or race in the grave,just you and what you lived for.
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by Nobody: 3:06pm On Sep 05, 2017
The important thing is understanding! If you understand my point, then i will leave the grammatical mumbo jumbo for you to deal with.
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by Abbotp: 3:42pm On Sep 05, 2017
Good effort.

That brisket bone controversy though...
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by Maspeky(m): 3:45pm On Sep 05, 2017
Wrong: Don't shout on me. Right: Don't shout at me.
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by jy2kbeyond(m): 4:50pm On Sep 05, 2017
I have my doubts regarding your number 12. It's boasting about sth. Not what you put up there. Shey you hear
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by PDF: 5:52pm On Sep 05, 2017
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by MfonIrocks: 6:47pm On Sep 05, 2017
My dictionary says 'boast' goes wit 'about/of'..

'Independent' goes wit 'from/of'..
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by drphantom: 7:54pm On Sep 05, 2017
Good compilation but your No. 12 is wrong. You "boast of" not " boast for".

chatinent:
Copyright : This post was written by Richie of Chatinent. All right reserved. No part of this should be transmitted to an unknown source without acknowledgments or prior consent and allowance by the author.
1. Cured from. An ill persons get cured of the illness and not otherwise.
2. Deprived from. You get deprived of your right not deprived from them.

3. Die from. When sb gets sick and dies, they die of an ailment and not from it.
NOTE: Humans die of illness,of hunger,of thirst,of or from wounds; from over work,by violence,by the sword,by pestilence, in battle, for their country,for a cause,through neglect,on the scaffold,at the stake.

4. Indifferent from. Sb can only be indifferent to sth or sb not otherwise.
5. It is brisket bone not biscuit bone. Naija, haba!
6. You get accused of sth, not accused for it.
7. You get accustomed to and not with sth.

8. You get ashamed of sth and not ashamed for/on it.
9. You get anxious about sth and not anxious by/to it.
10. You get angry with sb or sth and not angry for/against.
- We get angry with a person, however, angry at a thing: He was at the dog not with with the dog.
- you also get annoyed with sb/sth, vexed with, indignant with a person, but at a thing.
11. You aim at sb/sth not to it. Always use the preposition at to talk about direction.
12. You boast for sth and not boast about it.
13. You congratulate sb on sth and not for sth.
14. You get covered with sth and not by it.

15. You become glad about sth not of/from sth.
16. You become independent of [/b]sb/sth not from them.
17. And, you become [b]dependant on
sb/sth not by/of them.
18. You insist on doing sth not insist to doing it.
19. You persist sb in doing sth not persist them on doing sth.
20. You become jealous of sb or sth not jealous from them.
21. You leave for a place not to a place.
22. You live on sth not from sth.
Also, you gaze at, stare at, etc. But: look after (= take care of), look for (=try to find), look over (=examine), look into (=examine closely), look on or upon (=consider), look down on (=have a low opinion of), look up to (=respect), look out for (=expect), look forward to (= expect with pleasure),
Look to (= rely on).
24. You get interested in sb or sth, not on them.
25. You guard against sth/sb not from them.
26. You are Bad at, clever at, quick at, slow at, doing sth and not otherwise.
27. Sb cannot be plumpy in nature, they can only be plump.
28. You prefer sth/sb to sth/sb and not prefer sth/sb from sb/sth.
Bonus: Abeg, Enugu guys, it ls not 'baby, you are my hall and hall.' The word is all.smiley smiley wink
Origin: http://chatinent.com.ng/index.php?act=ST&f=33&t=333&st=0#entry613
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by Omoze88: 8:24pm On Sep 05, 2017
No 5.... Got my attention... Thanks OP I've actually learnt something new today
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by henryskywalker2003(m): 10:16pm On Sep 05, 2017
You're wrong in number 12. Boast about is very correct.
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by AlwaysUltraPad: 2:36am On Sep 06, 2017
You just thought me the wrong way of using some of these words.

Enugu people get H-factor too? grin grin
Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by troubleseller: 6:28am On Sep 06, 2017
chatinent:
Copyright: This post was written by Richie of Chatinent. All right reserved. No part of this should be transmitted to an unknown source without acknowledgments or prior consent and allowance by the author.
1. Cured from An ill persons get cured of the illness and not otherwise.

Jenifa fall on you

Re: 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections by Fawklicant: 9:17am On Sep 06, 2017
No.11...Aim 'at' or aim 'to' both are correct. Aim at refers to a physical target whereas aim to refers to a goal. e.g. He took his aim at the intruder. We aim to set records and achieveable targets.

No.12....Boast has many variants in usage. You can boast 'of', boast 'about'.

No.13...Congratulate 'for' is correct, congratulate 'on' is also correct. Congratulations 'to' is also correct. Usage differs. e.g. I congratulate you 'for' a job well done. I congratulate you on your recent wedding. My congratulations to you for saving the day.

No. 14...Covered with and covered by are correct. e.g. Covered with a cloth. Covered by law.

No.28....live on and live from are correct. As usual, usage matters. e.g. you can live on ten dollars a day or you can live from hand to mouth, you choice.

No. 23...look at you!

And bros, the only people with the H-factor is Yoruba. Igbos have the r-l factor ans some sh-ch factor. So if you hear 'hall and hall' you are definitely listening to a yoruba person.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Honored In An American University For Graduating Excellently.Photos / Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner / UNILORIN Students Take Selfie With Abdulganiy Ambali, Outgoing Vice Chancellor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.