Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:54 AM

5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa (25094 Views)

Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. / 10 Facts About Nnewi The Nigerian Village With The Most Billionaires / Pretty Nigerian Lady With Thought Provoking News For Those Coming To U.S.A (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by Opinionated: 2:06pm On Sep 05, 2017
Africa is the world’s second-largest and second-most populous continent. It is second to none in terms of wildlife, wild lands and rich cultural traditions. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 5 thought-provoking facts about Africa.

It Has a Large Percentage of the World’s Elephant

Africa is believed to have over 85% of the world’s elephant population. It is also believed to have over 99% of the remaining lions in the world. In other words, over 99% of the remaining lions are on the African continent.

Suggestions that the Ancestors of Human Beings Originated From Africa

Charles Darwin was the first scientist to suggest that the ancestors of human beings may have originated from Africa. But racism and the prejudicial attitude of many people in the Western world to Africa, made many people in the West highly resistant to such suggestions until very well into the twentieth century.

Lake Malawi is Believed to Have More Fish Species Than Any Other Freshwater System on Earth

Lake Malawi is located between Malawi, Mozambique and Tanzania. It’s the ninth largest lake in the world, and the third largest and second deepest lake in Africa. It’s a meromictic lake (that is, it’s water layers do not mix), and its waters are rich in fish. The lake is believed to have more fish species than any other freshwater system on earth, however the wild population of fish in the lake is increasingly threatened by overfishing and water pollution.

Africa is Home to the Only Nation in the World to Voluntarily Abandon Its Nuclear Weapon Program

South Africa is the only country in the world to voluntarily abandon its nuclear weapon program. The reason the then president of South Africa, F.W. de Klerk, gave for dismantling the nation’s nuclear weapons was that he saw no value of nuclear weapons in fighting wars, and the prospect of using them against neighbouring countries was too appalling for him to consider.

Africa is a Continent of Extremes

Africa is considered a continent of extremes. It is a continent that’s very rich in mineral and agricultural wealth, but at the same time considered the world’s poorest continent, with many of its people suffering poverty and sicknesses. The continent is also extremely large, as well as extremely dry, with an extremely young population, so young that over half of the continent is under the age of 25.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/5-thought-provoking-facts-africa/

32 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by itiswellandwell: 5:05pm On Sep 05, 2017
Hmmmmm, until when you include despite how wealthy Africa is, why is Africa still underdeveloped. That's when I will consider those thoughts a provoking one.

Check my signature for your quality full capacity powerbank

4 Likes

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by eleojo23: 5:05pm On Sep 05, 2017
6. Africa is home to the most superstitious people on earth.

69 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by vizkiz: 5:05pm On Sep 05, 2017
Africa is rich in agriculture yet we die of starvation.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by SirHouloo(m): 5:06pm On Sep 05, 2017
How about corruption?
They rule when it comes to that too.

13 Likes

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by 9jayes: 5:06pm On Sep 05, 2017
OUT OF EVERY 5 BLACK NIGERIAN IS ONE. USELESS COUNTRY THEY JUST PLENTY FOR NOTHING, FRANCE IS 65M IN POPULATION YET ONE OF THE WORLD POWER BUT NIGERIA OVER 200M CAN NOT DO ANYTHING MEANINGFUL WITH HER POPULATION. SHES ONLY KNOWN FOR TERRORISM, MILITANCY, DRUG DEALERS, CORRUPT LEADERS AND FOLLOWERS ETC. BIAFRA PLEASE COME QUICKLY I CAN'T WAIT

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by Shortyy(f): 5:07pm On Sep 05, 2017
Oh Africa
With lazy and tyrannic leaders.
Leaders who'd rather die than step down.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by Odianose13(m): 5:07pm On Sep 05, 2017
Africa, my Africa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by dangotesmummy: 5:07pm On Sep 05, 2017
smiley
Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by Terminator1234g: 5:07pm On Sep 05, 2017
A great continent blessed with evil leaders and some evil youths.

8 Likes

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by Josephjnr(m): 5:08pm On Sep 05, 2017
I am from this place op is talking about.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by DickDastardLION(m): 5:08pm On Sep 05, 2017
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by Papaaldrich: 5:08pm On Sep 05, 2017
AFRICA MY AFRICA....BLESSED AFRICA.

6 Likes

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by Sunofgod(m): 5:08pm On Sep 05, 2017
These so called unverifiable facts..... didn't provoke my mind at all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by Odianose13(m): 5:09pm On Sep 05, 2017
vizkiz:

That's why we are a Continent of Extremes

1 Like

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by sotall(m): 5:10pm On Sep 05, 2017
K
Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by Nobody: 5:10pm On Sep 05, 2017
how una take over take me nah... You also forgot to include..
It produces the most corrupt leaders and politicians in the whole continent...
And also.. Its the only continent that widely patronises money rituals

2 Likes

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by Preshi123(m): 5:12pm On Sep 05, 2017
Op come, there is nothing thought provoking abt Africa...

I pity South-Africa that voluntarily quit there Nuclear weapon program.. wen d likes of North Korea come for dem ehn... OYO will there case undecided
Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 05, 2017
A continent of extremes indeed. Or how else or better do you explain the fact that the richest continent in terms of natural resources is the world's poorest? Before we lay the blame squarely on the imperialists and colonialists,let's pause for a while and look at our new black masters. The enemies look like us. Infact,they are us.

19 Likes

We are the original human race
The white man stole everything from us and enslaved us with religion and education angry

5 Likes

vizkiz:
Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by Celestyn8213: 5:12pm On Sep 05, 2017
That's why I'm so proud to be African. ( in 2face voice)
Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by ajalawole(m): 5:13pm On Sep 05, 2017
and we are still backward
Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by ITbomb(m): 5:13pm On Sep 05, 2017
Have anyone noticed that the same situation that our ancestors did to keep us in the present situation is the same thing we are doing today

When white men were busy using their brains for innovation, our ancestors were fighting over lands

While white men would meet once in a while to discuss and exchange ideas, our ancestors met only to settle disputes and drink

Today, the West is planning to discard all fossil fuel with new technologies, we are here fighting over who owns the oil in Niger Delta

While the West is holding innovation conferences and technology expos, the only meeting that attracts attention in Nigeria is when politicians meet

While the West are lobbying member states to stay united, our own unity is by force and non-negotiable

And you say I should be proud. It's hard you know

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by Koolking(m): 5:14pm On Sep 05, 2017
Opinionated:

Africa is Home to the Only Nation in the World to Voluntarily Abandon Its Nuclear Weapon Program

South Africa is the only country in the world to voluntarily abandon its nuclear weapon program. The reason the then president of South Africa, F.W. de Klerk, gave for dismantling the nation’s nuclear weapons was that he saw no value of nuclear weapons in fighting wars, and the prospect of using them against neighbouring countries was too appalling for him to consider.

Africa is a Continent of Extremes

Africa is considered a continent of extremes. It is a continent that’s very rich in mineral and agricultural wealth, but at the same time considered the world’s poorest continent, with many of its people suffering poverty and sicknesses. The continent is also extremely large, as well as extremely dry, with an extremely young population, so young that over half of the continent is under the age of 25.

Above facts are extremely thought-provoking. I respect Ex-President De Klerk for such novelty feat. He deserves world peace prize.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by GJames(m): 5:15pm On Sep 05, 2017
Why is Africa in the shape of a question mark

3 Likes

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by Nobody: 5:15pm On Sep 05, 2017
vizkiz:
What do you mean by "rich in agriculture"? Don't quite get you. How is Africa "rich in agriculture",sir?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by Mendelssohn(m): 5:16pm On Sep 05, 2017
7. Africa is home to oldest and sit-tight presidents in the world.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by eezeribe(m): 5:16pm On Sep 05, 2017
itiswellandwell:
Hmmmmm, until when you include despite how wealthy Africa is, why is Africa still underdeveloped. That's when I will consider those thoughts a provoking one.

Check my signature for your quality full capacity powerbank

OK
Re: 5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 05, 2017
@billycayana cos you/we chose to remain slaves.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Overloaded Bus Nearly Tumbles Over, Narrowly Missing Passerbys (Pics, Video) / NAMA Ibadan Airport Bans Telemundo / 50 Weird Traffic Laws From Around The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.