Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

Nigerian Employees: Note These Bodies Established For Your Cause - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerian Employees: Note These Bodies Established For Your Cause (13223 Views)

Google Fires 28 Employees For Protesting Israel-cloud Deal (pictures) / Chinese Employers Sack Nigerian Employees Over Refusal To Practice Buddhism / Voice Of America Sacks 15 Hausa Employees In A Nigeria Bribery Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Employees: Note These Bodies Established For Your Cause by chccho(m): 10:19am On Jan 08, 2018
Allsmyles:

Thanks for this post. Can you put me through on how to go about reporting an employer?
Na everything them go teach una ni?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Employees: Note These Bodies Established For Your Cause by chccho(m): 10:45am On Jan 08, 2018
olu4life:
Dear Employees,

There are bodies established for your cause but 70% don't know of their existence. I, also was guilty till I was advised/forced to make use of them recently. Thereby using this platform to educate us. Wouldn't go in depth to my own matter but will state some basic causes I treated there.

The two major Parastatal/Agency I worked with are MINISTRY OF LABOUR AND PRODUCTIVITY and OFFICE OF THE PUBLIC DEFENDER (OPD).

These two (2) organisations are in existence for any breach of contract signed between you and your employer. Those who are majorly culprits are sub-standard companies (popularly known as One Man Company) and Firms managed by Asians (particularly Indians). Don't get me wrong, there are companies who fits into those terms that have a standardised structure.

Now what are the cases you can treat there?
1. Unlawful termination of contract/appointment (if you know, you are the defaulter, don't even dare press charges)
2. Non-Remittance of Pension/Tax: This is a very grave offence that employers fears cos it's a big crime to the Government. If it was stated in your appointment letter/salary breakdown that you are entitled to these and no form of remittance. Dear Employee, you have a very strong case with backing of the government. You will have to work with National Pension Commission (PENCOM), Federal Internal Revenue Service/Lagos State Internal Revenue alongside OPD and Ministry of Labour and Productivity. The only "but", is that this step is IRREVERSIBLE. Once you submit petition to Pencom and FIRS/LIRS, it is no longer a fight between you and your employer but rather between the Employer and The Government. And once this takes place, the Company is good as dead.
3. Non-Payment of Salaries/Entitlements: Under this category, I wonder why Employees let Employers get away with this. You are exempted if your contract letter states otherwise on this.
I see people forgo months of outstanding salaries, with the excuse they have moved on. I'm sorry, but that is a lie which you know. You just don't know how and where to handle it except the only option of begging your Ex-boss in which they barely yield. If your former employer decides to pay you off with a particular amount, that's quite OK and understandable. But if otherwise, press charges.

Now, some might be wondering the cost of hiring lawyers and stress if it's worth it at the long run. Glad to tell you this, THEIR SERVICES ARE FREE. You don't even need a lawyer. OPD for example renders their counsel, lawyers etc for FREE. Also Ministry tries as much as possible to sort it amicably with your former employer by setting up a meeting. This happens after you've written a petition to the State Controller. An officer is attached to your case who Sees to the rest.

All these points listed are very valid. Don't let any body frighten you. I would have been forgo my case but the said Employer never gave a response to my pleas and the outstanding amount was way too much to let go.

I won the case even without heading to court (which I was absolutely ready for).
Using this platform to thank Ministry of Labour and Productivity and Office of the Public Defender for a job well done. Both advised me accordingly.

Dear OP, i wish i had all this info at my disposal a few years ago. I resigned from my job 2014.i wrote them officially through my lawyers no response. I had to sue them to NIC and since 2016 this case has been in court and they are even trying everything possible to frustrate the case..i am hoping i judgement will favour me this year sha.

I worked for another company last year those ones refused to pay tax/pension for close to 8months.
I was going to let go but i cant let my sweat be in vain and i hate being cheated...seems i will take your advice

Thank u OP, truly knowledge is power.
Re: Nigerian Employees: Note These Bodies Established For Your Cause by sandraa(f): 4:15pm On Jan 18, 2018
Thank you for this information.
Re: Nigerian Employees: Note These Bodies Established For Your Cause by chccho(m): 4:16am On May 15, 2019
olu4life:
Dear Employees,

There are bodies established for your cause but 70% don't know of their existence. I, also was guilty till I was advised/forced to make use of them recently. Thereby using this platform to educate us. Wouldn't go in depth to my own matter but will state some basic causes I treated there.

The two major Parastatal/Agency I worked with are MINISTRY OF LABOUR AND PRODUCTIVITY and OFFICE OF THE PUBLIC DEFENDER (OPD).

These two (2) organisations are in existence for any breach of contract signed between you and your employer. Those who are majorly culprits are sub-standard companies (popularly known as One Man Company) and Firms managed by Asians (particularly Indians). Don't get me wrong, there are companies who fits into those terms that have a standardised structure.

Now what are the cases you can treat there?
1. Unlawful termination of contract/appointment (if you know, you are the defaulter, don't even dare press charges)
2. Non-Remittance of Pension/Tax: This is a very grave offence that employers fears cos it's a big crime to the Government. If it was stated in your appointment letter/salary breakdown that you are entitled to these and no form of remittance. Dear Employee, you have a very strong case with backing of the government. You will have to work with National Pension Commission (PENCOM), Federal Internal Revenue Service/Lagos State Internal Revenue alongside OPD and Ministry of Labour and Productivity. The only "but", is that this step is IRREVERSIBLE. Once you submit petition to Pencom and FIRS/LIRS, it is no longer a fight between you and your employer but rather between the Employer and The Government. And once this takes place, the Company is good as dead.
3. Non-Payment of Salaries/Entitlements: Under this category, I wonder why Employees let Employers get away with this. You are exempted if your contract letter states otherwise on this.
I see people forgo months of outstanding salaries, with the excuse they have moved on. I'm sorry, but that is a lie which you know. You just don't know how and where to handle it except the only option of begging your Ex-boss in which they barely yield. If your former employer decides to pay you off with a particular amount, that's quite OK and understandable. But if otherwise, press charges.

Now, some might be wondering the cost of hiring lawyers and stress if it's worth it at the long run. Glad to tell you this, THEIR SERVICES ARE FREE. You don't even need a lawyer. OPD for example renders their counsel, lawyers etc for FREE. Also Ministry tries as much as possible to sort it amicably with your former employer by setting up a meeting. This happens after you've written a petition to the State Controller. An officer is attached to your case who Sees to the rest.

All these points listed are very valid. Don't let any body frighten you. I would have been forgo my case but the said Employer never gave a response to my pleas and the outstanding amount was way too much to let go.

I won the case even without heading to court (which I was absolutely ready for).
Using this platform to thank Ministry of Labour and Productivity and Office of the Public Defender for a job well done. Both advised me accordingly.

Hello OP, I stumbled on this post recently and I have a very similar case.
In my on situation I have taken the matter to court in which there were a lot of deductions from my salary for over 4yrs.. Upon resignation i the monies weren't returned and no final entitlements were paid after about 5yrs of service.
Unfortunately I didn't win in court and all my claims were dismissed which is so painful a loss for me to bear.

Pls I want to know if this avenue is an effective and guaranteed means to recover all I have lost to a fraudulent and cheating employer

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Knows Which Banks Are Best To Work In? / How May Father Was Sacked Without Any Prior Notice. / November Salaries Of FG Civil Servants Delayed Over ‘technical Glitch’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.