Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,812 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers (17866 Views)

Cheap Bought Brand New 2013 Range Rover Hse Vogue / Tokunbo 2006 Range Rover HSE Vogue / Registered 2004 Range Rover HSE Vogue (SOLD)! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Onwan: 5:21pm On Feb 24, 2010
Hell nairalanders

I would like to hear from past and current users of the Range Rover HSE/Vogue and Range Rover Sport (2004 till date) regarding maintenance issues especially with the Airmatic shocks.

Some dealers discourage intending buyers; their main point is the Air shocks - they claim it is not for rough roads. I was of the opinion that the Range Rover (voted the best SUV in the world) should at least be somewhat ideal for the Nigerian roads.

From what I understand its impossible to convert those air shocks to spring - except some very high level expert work (very close to factory installation).

Please educate me/us on these vehicles; are they really for our roads?, are they fragile?, what can you tell us about those shocks, they are a very big concern and a major discouraging factor. This may just be a scare from dealers who don't have them in stock.

If you have ANY experience with these vehicles - past user, current user, friend or relation of a user or a dealer who can tell us about their experience with people who have bought from them.

For me personally, the satisfaction I get from just watching the vehicle glide, is worth buying it for. Please let us know your views and experience.
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by freshmoney(m): 5:55pm On Feb 24, 2010
Mr Onwan,if you want to buy this thing, stop bothering yourself unnecessarily,my lil hommie in Naija here bought his 07 Range Rover superchanged since June 2007 and he is still enjoying it, You have been on this stuff for months,give yourself a break
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Onwan: 7:13pm On Feb 24, 2010
Actually its Onwan, not Mr. Onwan.

But its good to know that your hommie's ride works well, its a view. People want to know about it as much as I do, and basically considering the budget and terrain of use, its important to get views from users, dealers and people like you.

my main concern is the terrain of use for the air shocks.

There is an 06 vogue parked close to where I live. The guy has both back shocks down and had paid someone 120k to fix for the past 3 months.

My question is IF its for rough roads too like where I live. I don't need a 5million naira egg. I'm sure someone else wants to know too
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Fhemmmy: 7:22pm On Feb 24, 2010
The Air ride was made for such terrain.
So if you use the ride well, you will enjoy it for a long time.
Enjoy.
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Onwan: 7:34pm On Feb 24, 2010
Thanks for that input

But in your own view and knowledge of the air shocks; is it better than spring shocks? Especially considering our average roads

Thanks
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Fhemmmy: 7:37pm On Feb 24, 2010
Onwan:

Thanks for that input

But in your own view and knowledge of the air shocks; is it better than spring shocks? Especially considering our average roads

Thanks

Yes, in my opinion, it is better, if you can afford it, i will tell you to go fro it . . . . . . That is what i love most about the Navigator.
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Onwan: 8:31pm On Feb 24, 2010
Thanks Fhemmmy for sharing your view on the air shocks. there are two Navigators Ive seen for sale; One at Owode (all shocks dropped), the other one at Prince Motors or something, same thing.

Maybe they came in that way. Is there any kit for air to spring conversion?
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Fhemmmy: 8:35pm On Feb 24, 2010
Onwan:

Thanks Fhemmmy for sharing your view on the air shocks. there are two Navigators Ive seen for sale; One at Owode (all shocks dropped), the other one at Prince Motors or something, same thing.

Maybe they came in that way. Is there any kit for air to spring conversion?

I dont know of any kit.
The Airride on Navigators has been discontinued from the 2007 Model, and that was cos it was giving problem with it being used as a limousine . . . .but real nice thing to have on a ride.
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Onwan: 8:44pm On Feb 24, 2010
That is the problem I'm trying to understand;

It was discontinued on the Navigator from 07 BUT Land Rover still keeps it on their models till date. I saw a Range Rover in VI the other day with the back side down flat.

The problem is not having those issues - its getting them fixed.

Its a shame because the rides are so well designed with the driver's comfort in mind (way better looking than the Toyotas) BUT those shocks are my concern.

For me, I don't think its a good investment buying a 5M vehicle and each time you are driving, its you thinking "whats next ??". Maybe they improved those shocks on later models?
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by freshmoney(m): 11:08pm On Feb 24, 2010
Mr Onwan,if you can buy a 5mil ride,why worrying about 120k or thereabout replacement charges ? cool Listen good,go for what you like ,if you use a ride for like a year and it develops a minor fault, I think it's not too bad, if you are getting all frenzied about it, then go for a new Range,it is around 12 to 14 mil, It shouldnt be costly for you na cool
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Onwan: 12:09am On Feb 25, 2010
Once again its your view.

Its a little limited though

1 Like

Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Onwan: 12:14am On Feb 25, 2010
By the way freshmoney; Im trying to understand factors here that are very important for myself and any other interested in this brand.

Its not really about the money, its about a factory fragile installation that might affect both new and used of this brand.

You might want to shut the Bleep up and let people with real values say what they know about it.
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Fhemmmy: 12:26am On Feb 25, 2010
I must admit that fixing it might be colstly.
But why worrying too much if you are sure that you will use the ride with car, the only thing that can destroy that thing would be if you are driving into bumps without car, if you driving into potholes all cos you have air rides and wanna have fun.
If used with car and be sure u do a regular maintenance as recommended by Landrover, you will love the ride.
A friend has one here and has been using it for 3 years and all he has to do on it is change the oil and normal tune ups.
Stop getting scared and live . . . . . .

The one on Navigator was changed, like i said, cos they used he ride for limousine and that is making it to carry more weight that recommended for the air ride . . . . . .so nothing for you to worry
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by KunleA2(m): 12:28am On Feb 25, 2010
Onwan:

Hell nairalanders

I would like to hear from past and current users of the Range Rover HSE/Vogue and Range Rover Sport (2004 till date) regarding maintenance issues especially with the Airmatic shocks.

Some dealers discourage intending buyers; their main point is the Air shocks - they claim it is not for rough roads. I was of the opinion that the Range Rover (voted the best SUV in the world) should at least be somewhat ideal for the Nigerian roads.

From what I understand its impossible to convert those air shocks to spring - except some very high level expert work (very close to factory installation).

Please educate me/us on these vehicles; are they really for our roads?, are they fragile?, what can you tell us about those shocks, they are a very big concern and a major discouraging factor. This may just be a scare from dealers who don't have them in stock.

If you have ANY experience with these vehicles - past user, current user, friend or relation of a user or a dealer who can tell us about their experience with people who have bought from them.

For me personally, the satisfaction I get from just watching the vehicle glide, is worth buying it for. Please let us know your views and experience.

If i were u , i will stay the hell away from the RR. As nice as the vehicle is, it is riddled with reliability issues all day. I have a friend who want to buy one and i advised him against it.

The problem is that, you can have two ppl with totally opposite experiences with the car. Some ppl have sworn up and down that its the best ride around (which is true when its running) while some ppl will not even want to come anywhere near the car.

I have heard of problematic RR from the day of sale (Brand New) and its problems non-stop. Its not that air ride is not strong enough for Naija, its only that the vehicle itself is UNRELIABLE period.

I will look towards a Lexus LX570 jeep if you want something good. Don't waste your money. Leave the RR to the losers please.

Please watch out this post by tomorrow morning or so. i have more for you (Hint: with some pics also)

Good luckwink
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Fhemmmy: 12:42am On Feb 25, 2010
Oga Kunle, i bet to disagree with you Sir . . . . Here is a professional review remark on it, i picked a 2007 as my sample.

THE GOOD: The 2007 Range Rover Supercharged combines a luxurious and tech-laden cabin with torrential acceleration at higher rev bands and formidable off-road capability thanks to its Terrain Response system.

THE BAD: A cumbersome voice-recognition interface for the navigation system is more trouble than it's worth, and the glove box-mounted CD player is a hassle. Delayed throttle response from standing doesn't do much justice to the Rover's 400 horses.

THE BOTTOM LINE: The 2007 Range Rover Supercharged is an SUV that talks the talk and walks the walk. Its sumptuous interior is dripping with luxury and (some indifferently integrated) tech features. On and off the track, it blows most of the competition away.

The air ride on range rover is strong enuf for the Nigerian road . . . .People's attitude in Nigeria to their rides is what needed to be checked.
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by KunleA2(m): 12:54am On Feb 25, 2010
I am happy that you disagree with me. at least we are talking about a RR. Like i said different ppl have different opinions about the ride. Here's a direct quote inferring to JD power:

What is the Predicted Reliability:

J.D. Power gives the Rover 4.5 stars for design. Problems with the last generation include engine misfires, fuel odors, malfunctioning climate control, difficult starting, oil leaks, transmission leaks, and transmission noise. It was recalled nine times. The current Range Rover has issues with engine noise, inaccurate fuel gauges, and problematic air suspensions. It has been recalled four times, three of those in 2006 for issues such as uneven braking, non-buckling seat belts, and inability to shift into park. Expect average reliability. The basic warranty lasts for four years or 50,000 miles. shocked

For a ride that cost well over $100k brand new, i don't think so.

The link:

http://www.buyingadvice.com/land-rover-range-rover-2007-review.html
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Fhemmmy: 1:02am On Feb 25, 2010
There is not single ride that does not have a down side, regardless of the cos of the ride.

See a review for buggatii

It’s also a significant accomplishment to build a transmission capable of handling all that torque; Audi had similar challenges with their R10 TDI Le Mans racecar and their solution was a beefed-up five-speed manual gearbox, a decidedly low-tech solution compared to the Veyron’s DSG.
In the final analysis, my brief and low-speed test of the 2010 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport was, indeed, a fairly frustrating experience. I longed for the autobahn or a racetrack with at least one long straightaway, but neither was within shouting distance. But I like to consider myself a glass-half-full kind of guy, so I’m going to file the Veyron experience in the positive column.

Remember how much it cost to own one?

Every ride has it bad and good, but Range Rover is a real nice and safe ride to use and drive, and the Air ride is so kool for Nigeria
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by KunleA2(m): 1:03am On Feb 25, 2010
I am happy that you disagree with me. at least we are talking about a RR. Like i said different ppl have different opinions about the ride. Here's a direct quote inferring to JD power:

What is the Predicted Reliability:

J.D. Power gives the Rover 4.5 stars for design. Problems with the last generation include engine misfires, fuel odors, malfunctioning climate control, difficult starting, oil leaks, transmission leaks, and transmission noise. It was recalled nine times. The current Range Rover has issues with engine noise, inaccurate fuel gauges, and problematic air suspensions. It has been recalled four times, three of those in 2006 for issues such as uneven braking, non-buckling seat belts, and inability to shift into park. Expect average reliability. The basic warranty lasts for four years or 50,000 miles.  shocked

For a ride that cost well over $100k brand new, i don't think so.

The link:

http://www.buyingadvice.com/land-rover-range-rover-2007-review.html

JD Power is the Benchmark for reviews. It doesn't get better than JD Power. Totally Unbiased opinion. Here's their link:

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Land-Rover/Range-Rover/2007/SUV/ratings
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Onwan: 1:46am On Feb 25, 2010
@Kunle-A
Thanks for your input - I will watch out for the tips/info you will be posting tomorrow.

@Fhemmmy
Thanks for your input - I noticed you posted that:

"if you are driving into bumps without car, if you driving into potholes all cos you have air rides and wanna have fun."

The thing is this; we live in Nigeria - bumps and pot holes are part of our roads by default - there are some parts of V/I with roads that are worse than remote places in Ikorodu.

Its not like Im particular about pointing out faults BUT we are talking about a Range Rover here; My Dad bought the 78 model in 83, that thing still travels to the east - the gold color is still what it is (No body work, nothing) - Thats an SUV for Nigerian roads. Can we say the same for these new models? Would you classify these models to be as rugged as those early models? Is it just the air shocks? Is it too much computers in the damn thing? Are they making them flashier but fragile?
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Fhemmmy: 1:51am On Feb 25, 2010
There is never too much of trying to find out information on a car when you are paying so much for them.
The Air rides and the shocks are supposed to be strong enuf for Nigerian roads, there are so much Range in nigeria and not all of them travel on good roads, so, i am sure you will be fine.
But i will advice that, if you are this worried about it, better you stay off it. . . . . . . Like Kunle said, you could look into Lexus, but i am sure that comes with her own wahala too.
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Onwan: 9:46am On Feb 25, 2010
There is a post Kunle-A sent; I can see it on my mobile but its not showing here.

The Lexus is a very nice option BUT lacks that thing - The driver is not as comfortable as would in a Range Rover. Ive driven the 470 and the Range Sport and believe me, the difference is clear. I think the suspension (Air shocks thing) and the general system of the vehicle is a factory failure (A shameful one at that). A current user might disagree though.

In some quarters, the Toyota (Lexus) has this official car dimension to it; and that flattens it out totally for me.

I see the Range Rover as a classy, entrepreneur kind of vehicle BUT the shocks brings it to its knees, the Navigator is more like a Molue bus, the G Wagon (even being a king in its own rights) can really look very boxy at times, the Infiniti FX 35/45 is no different from a QX4 when it comes to being able to withstand time looking and driving the same way (something about them has this depreciation all over).

I have not seen an LR3 with the shocks problem though.
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by damola1: 10:22am On Feb 25, 2010
I am really gbadun this thread, and even though I just got a 2008 RAV4 instead of a car like the LR3 or Range , because of the general advise that you can always get a good fix in case you have problem with the Toyota, as against the likes of the LR3/Range, which I really do buy into, but miss out on class, with the experience I had with the last car I borrowed, and the crazy expenses on maintainance, I never hesitated when I was advised to go for any Toyota product.

I will like to see where the poster places is final decision, as it might even affect mine in the very nearest future.
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by freshmoney(m): 12:10pm On Feb 25, 2010
[b]Onwan haba! You can declass car for someone ooo grin grin See how you flawlessly brought Lincoln to shame shocked See how you demoted FX35/45-I didn't forget when you said 2005 camry is loser's choice shocked Ok,now talk,what about '07 Nissan Pathfinder,what do you have to say about that? Don't make me go sell my car angry

My broda,just go for the Range, after going through your posts, I understand why you want to be careful. Anyone wants something that will satisfy him/her for a long period without any worries, LR3 is OK if you do not want any shocks problem though. Buying Range shouldn't be a problem anyway, if your shocks could serve you for some years like 2 years, replacement shouldn't be something to worry about, I understand you wouldn't want to experience such problem; you might as well be re-assured that driving with care would make your car serve you for a long time. Shocks can get damaged on any car, so bruv,go for the Range, Me I gbadun the 2007 to 2009 sha, when you buy am, come give me drive ooo, make we exchange for like a week, at least you go like my path f. cool [/b]
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Onwan: 12:31pm On Feb 25, 2010
@Freshmoney
Thanks for your input right there. At least you are sober now cheesy

My question for you is this; when you wanted to buy the Pathfinder, you know your budget could have gotten you a Range Rover (Maybe slightly used/registered), LR3 (Maybe slightly used/registered), an 06/07 Rav4, a G Wagon (I even have a 4M quote from Ogunnaike), even a very solid 02/03 Landcruiser (very solid one) or a Lexus 470 - WHY DID YOU PREFER THE PATHFINDER? Do you care to share that with me and the house? Why that choice?

For me; I drove an earlier model like in 2003, for the new models like yours - the design is superb (very superb) BUT have you noticed that after a while of use, it appears as if the body is too heavy for the chassis or something, it starts looking like a helmet on a child. Its just my view, like I see it around.
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Onwan: 12:44pm On Feb 25, 2010
One more thing;

There are some vehicles that you can get online and join users' clubs and do some DIYs - those are intelligent vehicles - Like BMW, Land Rover, Mercedes Benz, etc.

The other day, my mechanic spent close to 30 minutes looking for my 530D BMW's diesel filter; I went online asked a forum and got not just the filter's location but the air filter, main pump and booster pump locations (comprehensive drawings with tools required) - after doing the cleaning and changing the diesel filter, the fuel consumption jumped to about 40MPG. My mechanic was speechless.

The thing is that people that push those can have time to look into and relate with these vehicles, more like a companionship. I don't see that with a Nissan?, Toyota?
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by freshmoney(m): 1:02pm On Feb 25, 2010
Onwan,I wholly disagree with you regarding the Nissan Pathfinder body heavy on the chassis after a while, I made some enquiries(both online and real-time) concerning the pathfinder before I went for it, Have you driven the latest path from 07 to '10? If you have,then you wouldn't want to go for any other ride, grin

Onwan,beg your pardon, though I stand to be corrected, I think you have had problems with previous cars already, and you won't want to have similar problems again, I hate having problem on a car, It makes one go mad sometimes, so I tend to go for Japanese product more often: the toyota,the honda,the nissan,

I think if you can go for latest Toyota Prado or the '09 toyota highlander tongue cool,you will like it, even within your budget for Range, Driving those Japanese vehicles will give you a new 'big-man' look grin
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Onwan: 1:13pm On Feb 25, 2010
@Freshmoney
For your pathfinder, I'm talking about how it looks after a while. I know Nissan makes or uses very good engines and they are fair on gas too (Unlike some infiniti counterparts). After a while most Nissan products start looking very boring. Look at the Xterra - after a while you just want to run away from it.

For you, maybe Nissan does it, BUT for me its too boring; Its actually like a clone of the REAL thing - More like those Nokia N95 with two sim slots. After a while, the chassis cant simply hold the "BIG" body - really, it looks like a helmet after a while. In fact you don't want to use a spare tyre on a Nissan pathfinder - It simply looks like a 504 or something.

Anyway, Nissan is simply not in my book
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Onwan: 1:22pm On Feb 25, 2010
Same budget price range

Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Onwan: 1:25pm On Feb 25, 2010
@Freshmoney
Please look at the vehicles above and tell me that Nissan does not look like bug bus with small tyres.

I'll even look at the white Toyota Landcruiser (Bogus though)
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by freshmoney(m): 1:26pm On Feb 25, 2010
grin grin This man,you are bad ooo, Nissan users must not see this, Most of my cars are nissan products, and I am enjoying them every now and then, My next target is Q56 by His grace, I am sure you will like that, Whats your thought about Armada and Q56? Nissan has surely got it! A car than is fashionable, a car that can withstand any weather, a car that can deliver whenever you want, Nissan has surely got it, ! Anything Nissan tries and accomplishes, if Range does it, e go wound ooo
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by freshmoney(m): 1:30pm On Feb 25, 2010
Onwan:

Same budget price range

Range has got the design both interior and exterior, But My path ain't bad, I have the burgundy colour of the pathfinder picture you just added, And believe me, it ain't look like a bus, it looks like a road commander,
Re: Views From Range Rover Hse/vogue Or Sport Users And Dealers by Onwan: 1:49pm On Feb 25, 2010
grin grin grin
I'm sure you are not thinking of buying that school bus.

Whoever sits in front of that thing is a driver (The driver is not a focus in its design - you might as well wear a uniform and a tiny red cap when driving it). The fact is the way its designed, its too big and the sitting space inside is pointless due to the demarcation between seats, it DRINKS fuel, plus its a rewire's delight (wiring problems)

Anyways check out these two, they are both suposed to have 3rd row seats for family/kids (though the other one is an 7/8 seater while your school bus will only sit 6 people, and you will need to build a garage fit for a coaster for the Q56, and tell me how you will park in Mega Plaza for instance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Used 2010 Acura TL Tech Package Drop Price N2.550 / 2014 Model Toyota Prado Txl Fully Loaded Used / Brand New Genuine Auto Spare Parts Suppliers...we Deliver Anywhere In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.