Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,934 members, 7,799,164 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. (18244 Views)

Different Types Of People You Will Meet In Nigerian Market (meme Collection) / What Fast Moving Good(s) Does The Nigerian Market Need? / List Of Nigerian States With The Highest Number Of Shopping Malls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by Nobody: 12:20pm On Sep 07, 2017
So true

1 Like

Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by EmeeNaka: 12:24pm On Sep 07, 2017
No 8 na lie
if you submit yourself to the so called 'trustworthy' sellers, you're finished be that.
Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by Celestyn8213: 12:25pm On Sep 07, 2017
Nna u get time o
Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by Nobody: 12:28pm On Sep 07, 2017
Any trade
Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by Nobody: 12:30pm On Sep 07, 2017
that's how I was deceived by the seller light to buy coloured weavon instead of black. .I put it inside my bag immediately. when i got home and saw it I almost cried because d place is far.

1 Like

Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by Nobody: 12:32pm On Sep 07, 2017
Nice writeup, but did you really have to mention Igbo in bad light?

1 Like

Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by kalu61(m): 12:36pm On Sep 07, 2017
Because of these as a guy,l hated going to market with my mum.Yes she will buy at a price that amazed me but we covered the whole of the market on foot and come back in the evening.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by steve6: 12:39pm On Sep 07, 2017
So True !
Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by Nobody: 12:52pm On Sep 07, 2017
Funkybabee:
Mehn African mother are so wonderful.... your post makes me to remember yesterday when we went to buy clothes for my sister kids for festival...come see how she price something even me dey fear for where I sat..you Will be hearing dindinrin Mon lo Mon ye she know kuku sabi anything

Pls weytin I know sabi she still think am a kid
Lol. My mom was like that too. She'll even tell the seller "she's your sister o, sell it for us now" That's after she has priced it from 3k to 800naira. Nigerian mothers are the best.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by Nobody: 12:55pm On Sep 07, 2017
I used to pity those traders whenever I go to the market with my mom. She'll tell me "Dele, if they haven't insulted you it means you're still being cheated. You price until you're insulted, that's when you know you're not being cheated."

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by jayloms: 1:03pm On Sep 07, 2017
igbodefender:
Nice writeup, but did you really have to mention Igbo in bad light?
U don't have to see it that way.
Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by jayloms: 1:09pm On Sep 07, 2017
I remember when I was much younger - I used be scared for my mum's hand, whenever she bargains with the meat sellers at the market. I thank God for her safety smiley
Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by slinkman(m): 1:15pm On Sep 07, 2017
This thou shall crap made your intreasting article, less interesting and childish
Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by Vincad: 1:23pm On Sep 07, 2017
ninocia18:
When I go to market with my mom and we try to buy fish worth 500 naira and my mom says, " you no sell 50 naira".

Your mum must be my mum's double. My mum will tell you that if the seller says it's 1000 naira, start bargaining from 100 naira. If they insult you at least you know the real price and can check another place with that in mind.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by Nobody: 1:32pm On Sep 07, 2017
Are these people up there a kid? following ur mum to the market hmmm
Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by AuroraB(f): 1:51pm On Sep 07, 2017
Ayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
I'm all that and more smiley
Na my money I wan spend. If I reach house and there's need to return an item, who pays
The last one is not for me oooooo
If price changes and lowers, 'customer' no go tell you oooooooo (my Dad said so and I believe so) lipsrsealed
To price market no be crime. No follow me go market if you never chop. They don't call me 'Ijebu' for nothing angry undecided embarassed
Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by diezani(f): 1:53pm On Sep 07, 2017
" You forgot to add the greatest commandment of all

" Thou shalt eat belle full before entering the market to buy anything "

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by TOLULOPEMIDEAR(f): 1:56pm On Sep 07, 2017
Hmmmmm, my mum that priced meat from #10000 to #2200..................even nw I can also price for Africa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 07, 2017
Thou shall be careful with Computer village Boys ,else ye shall receive FUFU/Amala rapped into a Iphone 6 jacket...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by Fucktensei: 2:09pm On Sep 07, 2017
Ezechinwa:
Thou shall be careful with Computer village Boys ,else ye shall receive FUFU/Amala rapped into a Iphone 6 jacket...
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin grin angry grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin cheesy cool

1 Like

Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by chinedugreat(m): 2:11pm On Sep 07, 2017
Nice Write Up For Igbo Business Men,if A Good Should Be Sold At #1000,ibo Man Go Now Fixed Am For #3500,oya start bargaining by slashing it half,who the gain?
Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by Rainmaker69(m): 2:18pm On Sep 07, 2017
tortorri1:
1. Thou Shall Strive To Be The ‘First Customer Of The Day’ At Every Shop You Patronize.
Many Nigerian shop owners have this belief that their sales throughout the day are somewhat dependent on the way they treat the first customer to patronize them. So whenever they receive the first customer of the day, they go the extra mile to make sure the person feels extra special and leaves their shop happy and satisfied, even if it means selling to them at highly cheaper discounts.

Having learnt about this, I always try as much as possible to do my shopping in the morning Just so that I don’t miss the rare opportunity of being the first customer at any of the shops I would be patronizing so as to get the “first customer of the day” discount on everything I would be buying. Even though I’ve been quite fortunate in my quest many times, I’m not always lucky. Not every shop owner actually buys into that superstitious belief.
Source:http://www.tortorri.com/2017/09/8-commandments-of-shopping-in-nigerian.html

Nice article... I think this point is not captured right. The belief is that amount of the first sale determines the sales for the rest of the day. They would rather prefer the first sale to be lucrative. This means that first customers may be taxed more than usual.
Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by Sirdy48(m): 2:20pm On Sep 07, 2017
ninocia18:
When I go to market with my mom and we try to buy fish worth 500 naira and my mom says, " you no sell 50 naira". Am like.. ..
I can relate mehn.. Always have this pity expression on my face whenever my mum does that
Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by bolaji3071(m): 3:02pm On Sep 07, 2017
kalu61:
Because of these as a guy,l hated going to market with my mum.Yes she will buy at a price that amazed me but we covered the whole of the market on foot and come back in the evening.
Lwkmd!!!!!

grin
Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by bolaji3071(m): 3:04pm On Sep 07, 2017
Ezechinwa:
grin; D; D

1 Like

Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by Funkybabee(f): 3:50pm On Sep 07, 2017
AryaSand:

Lol. My mom was like that too. She'll even tell the seller "she's your sister o, sell it for us now" That's after she has priced it from 3k to 800naira. Nigerian mothers are the best.

Mehn they are really the best!!!!! Am going to miss her whenever I got married

But your sign fear me ooo
Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by Nobody: 4:00pm On Sep 07, 2017
Number 4 is very important to me grin
As an economics student, no will cheat me in that aspect.

1 Like

Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by kinah(f): 4:38pm On Sep 07, 2017
I agree to all but number 8. most trusted traders also ain't loyal as u think. wen the price of some products come down. they won't let u no. especially wen u love to bargain or ask questions too much u are tagged ALARORO. they know ow to deal with them. I love shopping.

1 Like

Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by richiewrites(m): 8:16pm On Sep 07, 2017
thou shall also fast and pray before leaving for the market as some sellers wear charms around their waist especially in benin
Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by ibizgirl(f): 9:26pm On Sep 07, 2017
Thou shall not pack your car infront of the seller else you will pay car owner price.
Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by jetroolowole(m): 6:01am On Sep 08, 2017
All these will become less necessary when http://mlmdeals.ng fully take over.
Re: 8 Commandments Of Shopping In A Nigerian Market. by cybriz82(m): 2:11am On Sep 09, 2017
Damfostopper:
all those people above me wey dey book space... I guess Yu guys are not dumb

shey na ur space and y e dey pain u?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes / Nigerians Got Richer As Income Per Capita Surges To $5,250 In 2021 - World Bank / Union Bank Uyo Shut Down By NLC Youth Wing Due To Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.