Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,934 members, 7,806,704 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:18 PM

The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? (2698 Views)

Boko Haram Storm Military Base In Northeastern Nigeria / Timi Dakolo Calls Osinbajo 'Lie Lie Pastor'? (Photos) / Ahmed Indimi's Fake Account Balance: A Lie Or Just A Misunderstanding? - Jaaruma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by Barondenigeria: 8:02pm On Sep 07, 2017
On the comparative sizes of the North east and the Uk, the vice president technically misspoke
Posted on September 7, 2017 by Frontline Intel

Prof. Yemi Osinbajo

Jonathan Moore

Following a report credited to Nigeria’s vice president Prof. Yemi Osinbajo as published on punchng.com, a Nigerian online news portal.

‘In trying to police the North-East, the Federal Government was dealing with a vast country whose size was equivalent of the whole of the United Kingdom and Denmark or Switzerland.

The Vice-President said, “I was speaking to the UK Foreign Minister (Boris Johnson) a few days ago and I explained to him how it is so difficult to police the North-East.

“I said that this North-East that you speak about, over the past two years, we have managed to ensure that Boko Haram does not hold any territory, but there are still opportunistic attacks here and there.

“So, I explained to the Foreign minister that we are still going to experience these attacks because of the vast area that we are dealing with.

“I said that the North-East is equivalent of the whole of the United Kingdom plus Denmark or Switzerland. So, we are dealing with a vast country.

Let us examine the vice president’s claim above!
britain-physical-map-home
Northeastern_State_Nigeria

Map Credit- http://www.maps-of-britain.co.uk

http://www.worldatlas.com

United Kingdom- Land mass

England- 130,395 km2

Wales- 20,760 km2

Scotland- 80, 077 km2

Northern Ireland- 14, 130 km2

Total– 245,362 km2

North-Eastern Nigeria- Land mass

Adamawa- 36, 917 km2

Bauchi- 49, 119 km2

Bornu- 57, 799 km2

Gombe- 18, 770 km2

Taraba- 54, 473 km2

Total– 217,078 km2

From the comparison above, the united kingdom is clearly more than 20,000 km2 the size of northeastern Nigeria. Including the land masses of Denmark or Switzerland will hence be a little unnecessary. The vice president was either bending fact to justify his governments ineptitude in curtailing the bokoharam menace or is not properly informed about his country’s geography.

https://frontlineintel.org/2017/09/07/on-the-comparative-sizes-of-the-north-east-and-the-uk-the-vice-president-technically-misspoke/

4 Likes

Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by ogole1(m): 8:09pm On Sep 07, 2017
bros where did u put the land mass of yobe? get ur facts right

8 Likes

Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by Tolexander: 8:11pm On Sep 07, 2017
Barondenigeria:

On the comparative sizes of the North east and the Uk, the vice president technically misspoke

Prof. Yemi Osinbajo

Jonathan Moore

Following a report credited to Nigeria’s vice president Prof. Yemi Osinbajo as published on punchng.com, a Nigerian online news portal.

‘In trying to police the North-East, the Federal Government was dealing with a vast country whose size was equivalent of the whole of the United Kingdom and Denmark or Switzerland.

The Vice-President said, “I was speaking to the UK Foreign Minister (Boris Johnson) a few days ago and I explained to him how it is so difficult to police the North-East.

“I said that this North-East that you speak about, over the past two years, we have managed to ensure that Boko Haram does not hold any territory, but there are still opportunistic attacks here and there.

“So, I explained to the Foreign minister that we are still going to experience these attacks because of the vast area that we are dealing with.

“I said that the North-East is equivalent of the whole of the United Kingdom plus Denmark or Switzerland. So, we are dealing with a vast country.

England- 130,395 km2

Wales- 20,760 km2

Scotland- 80, 077 km2

Total– 245,362 km2

Adamawa- 36, 917 km2

Bauchi- 49, 119 km2

Bornu- 57, 799 km2

Gombe- 18, 770 km2

Taraba- 54, 473 km2

Total– 217,078 km2

From the comparison above, the united kingdom is clearly more than 20,000 km2 the size of northeastern Nigeria. Including the land masses of Denmark or Switzerland will hence be a little unnecessary. The vice president was either bending fact to justify his governments ineptitude in curtailing the bokoharam menace or is not properly informed about his country’s geography.
you even forgot adding Yobe State in the North East state.

Wikipedia source.
Borno State - 70,898km2
Taraba State - 54,473km2
Yobe State- 44,502km2
Bauchi State- 45,837km2
Adamawa State- 36,917km2
Gombe State- 18,768km2

Total - 271,395km2

UK + Denmark + Switzerland
245,362km2 + 42,931km2 + 41,285km2

329, 578km2

Osinbajo was misinformed

9 Likes

Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by Nbote(m): 8:16pm On Sep 07, 2017
Landmass or not is not d issue... He forgot to include d landmass is sparsely populated and mostly open terrains and desert areas..

3 Likes

Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by HoluwarTohbar(f): 8:16pm On Sep 07, 2017
Tolexander:
you even forgot adding Yobe State in the South East state.

Still typing....
Southeast erhn?

Following...
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by Nbote(m): 8:18pm On Sep 07, 2017
ogole1:

He also didn't include Republic of Ireland.
Modified.. Republic of Ireland is a sovereign nation
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by MalcoImX: 8:20pm On Sep 07, 2017
You've reduced the size of the states. Borno state alone is over 70,000 sq km.
With an area of 242,500 square kilometres(93,600 sq mi), the United Kingdom is the 78th-largest sovereign state in the world and the 11th-largest in Europe . It is also the 21st-most populous country , with an estimated 65.1 million inhabitants. Together, this makes it the fourth-most densely populated country in the European Union (EU)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom
1. Borno 70,898 sq km
2. Taraba 54,473 sq km
3. Bauchi 45,837 sq km
4. Yobe 45,502 sq km
5. Adamawa 36,917 sq km
6. Gombe 18,768 sq km
NE Total = 272365 sq km
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_area

3 Likes

Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by Rebelutionary: 8:20pm On Sep 07, 2017
ogole1:
That was the first thing I noticed too and also the landmasses of
Borno- 71,130
Bauchi- 64,605
which innacurate!

@Brendaniel this is my digits Zero Eight Zero Three Seven Zero Four One Five Zero Seven

Add me up on whatsap so we can talk about EU Ppal ASAP!

2 Likes

Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by tit(f): 8:23pm On Sep 07, 2017
yeni LIED
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by michoade(m): 8:25pm On Sep 07, 2017
I was asked one by my primary school teacher that I should mention one example of communicable diseases, had I known then, i would have mention lie.
The foundation of this government was made with lie and will surely be completed with lie. I really pity vp because he has to be one of the lie propagator.

1 Like

Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Sep 07, 2017
op u see ur ass outside now? u shld av done ur research well b4 u tag vp liar, he is nt like lai muhammed
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by MalcoImX: 9:24pm On Sep 07, 2017
Tolexander:

Wikipedia source.
Borno State - 70,898km2
Taraba State - 54,473km2
Yobe State- 44,502km2
Bauchi State- 45,837km2
Adamawa State- 36,917km2
Gombe State- 18,768km2

Total - 271,395km2

329, 578km2

Osinbajo was misinformed
He missed it by about 11,000 sq km, which is fair for somebody speaking without any reference.
The state is UK + (Denmark) (or Switzerland).
Denmark or Switzerland each has about 41, 000 sq km.
UK 242,500 + 40,000 = 283, 500 sq km

NE = 272,365

7 Likes

Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by Tolexander: 9:37pm On Sep 07, 2017
MalcoImX:

He missed it by about 11,000 sq km, which is fair for somebody speaking without any reference.

NE = 272,365
bravo bro!
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by MalcoImX: 9:45pm On Sep 07, 2017
Tolexander:
bravo bro!
Cheers buddy. Keep the flag flying.
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by Presidiotbuhari: 12:13am On Sep 08, 2017
Osibanjo has proven times without number to b an unrepentant & pathetic lie. How that deceitful, cunning & morally bankrupt dwarf is regarded as a pastor is quite a mystery.

1 Like

Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by ReubenE(m): 3:11am On Sep 08, 2017
The most dangerous problem that may remain with Nigeria forever if care is not taken is this unfortunate support, selective myopia, repulsive obedience, and odious allegiance by some to people who deliberately twist facts and events to their favour, thereby denying them the opportunity to realise their mistakes.

VP goofed full stop. Any attempt by anyone to colour it like he was close or start calculating numbers is just trying to be trivial.
The man was not really interested in numbers when he said what he said, he was only trying to paint a picture that his government is dealing with a large terrain which makes it difficult to get results.

Now, if that be the case, what about Russia that's more than 17 times larger than Nigeria as a whole? Did the Russian government give trots or surrendered their country to the enemy when ISIS started attacking them?

If the fight against insurgency is yet to get desired results, the goverment should stop using size as an excuse to convince people that they are working, rather they should keep quiet and continue with whatever it is that they are doing.

4 Likes

Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by ykalhaji(m): 3:45am On Sep 08, 2017
The VP goofed but we get his point, but don't you find it interesting that the North East is larger than the whole of UK and just shy of 58,000 sq km lesser than the 3 countries ??
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by maisauki: 3:55am On Sep 08, 2017
Whatever on behalf of me, myself and i, i dash d north east d 28284km2 balance
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by MICHEALADEX(m): 4:04am On Sep 08, 2017
MalcoImX:

NE = 272,365

My brother you get time to reply the yeye op
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by madridguy(m): 4:24am On Sep 08, 2017
shocked shocked shocked
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by Nobody: 5:19am On Sep 08, 2017
Tolexander:

Wikipedia source.
Borno State - 70,898km2
Taraba State - 54,473km2
Yobe State- 44,502km2
Bauchi State- 45,837km2
Adamawa State- 36,917km2
Gombe State- 18,768km2

Total - 271,395km2

329, 578km2

Osinbajo was misinformed
He said Denmark or Switzerland...288,293 is pretty close to 271,395. I think the op lied or was misinformed
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by Balkan(m): 7:38am On Sep 08, 2017
Fake professor. I wonder who make these yorubas prof.
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by ReubenE(m): 8:23am On Sep 08, 2017
ykalhaji:
The VP goofed but we get his point, but don't you find it interesting that the North East is larger than the whole of UK and just shy of 58,000 sq km lesser than the 3 countries ??
The North East larger than UK or close to three countries combined is not an issue.
I don't understand why some Nigerians are bewildered by irrelevancies.

Alaska in the US is more than Nigeria and certainly more than the three countries in view here.
Must we brag about things that add nothing tangible to us? Nigeria is the most populous in Africa, is larger than this and that, Sambisa is larger than Belgium, is larger than South East blah blah shows that we are more interested in useless quantity than in quality.

If VP is really interested in comparison, he should go compare with Russia, Canada, US, China, Brazil, India, Argentina, Algeria, Niger, Sudan.

VP, drop the YEYE comparison, roll up your sleeves and get to work

1 Like

Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by daveson2020(m): 8:32am On Sep 08, 2017
grin grin grin lol what a dullard professor. #hopeisnothatespeech?
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by pabjo: 9:27am On Sep 08, 2017
trying to cover up. 8
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by Ikology(m): 9:31am On Sep 08, 2017
MalcoImX:
You've reduced the size of the states. Borno state alone is over 70,000 sq km, [/b]that is 2½ times the size of SE Nigeria[b].
With an area of 242,500 square kilometres(93,600 sq mi), the United Kingdom is the 78th-largest sovereign state in the world and the 11th-largest in Europe . It is also the 21st-most populous country , with an estimated 65.1 million inhabitants. Together, this makes it the fourth-most densely populated country in the European Union (EU)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom
1. Borno 70,898 sq km
2. Taraba 54,473 sq km
3. Bauchi 45,837 sq km
4. Yobe 45,502 sq km
5. Adamawa 36,917 sq km
6. Gombe 18,768 sq km
NE Total = 272365 sq km
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_area

Is this necessary? Was southeast part of the comparison?

1 Like

Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by MalcoImX: 9:39am On Sep 08, 2017
Ikology:

Is this necessary? Was southeast part of the comparison?
Not really necessary, but lots have quoted it. Still, I'll go and remove it.
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by Robbin7(m): 10:24am On Sep 08, 2017
Abeg make una come see the lie lie pastor abi prof of a lie lie government o.
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by Nobody: 10:30am On Sep 08, 2017
All thiz size way I De hear every day na who measure amm if na people way measure know say na big fat lie
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by Sall(m): 11:38am On Sep 08, 2017
Who size help.there lie.
Re: The Size Of Northeastern Nigeria- Did Osinbajo Lie Or Was Poorly Informed? by rbmshelia: 1:17pm On Oct 03, 2020
The precise landmass of the Northeast is 289421.7km2. Source: National Population commission.
Barondenigeria:

Prof. Yemi Osinbajo

Jonathan Moore

England- 130,395 km2

Wales- 20,760 km2

Scotland- 80, 077 km2

Total– 245,362 km2

Adamawa- 36, 917 km2

Bauchi- 49, 119 km2

Bornu- 57, 799 km2

Gombe- 18, 770 km2

Taraba- 54, 473 km2

Total– 217,078 km2

https://frontlineintel.org/2017/09/07/on-the-comparative-sizes-of-the-north-east-and-the-uk-the-vice-president-technically-misspoke/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: Court Stops Okorocha’s Son-in-law’s Governorship Bid / Churches Loyal To Paul Emeka, Returns To Assemblies Of God Nigeria, Abuja / Pictures Of Aba After Rainfall Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.