Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,466 members, 7,801,180 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:01 PM

MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please (31985 Views)

620k Job In Nigeria Vs Msc In UK? Please Advise / Obinna Ukwuani Returns To Nigeria After Turning Down Job Offer In USA / Meet Onayemi Temitope Timothy, Hunter With Bsc. And Msc. In Criminology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by Officialzoe: 11:22am On Sep 08, 2017
I just Have a question ! hope u ain't the one paying for your feeding and accommodation in the UK?
Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by Bamidele539: 11:22am On Sep 08, 2017
DanXplore:
Please, i could use some career advice from great nairalanders. Please tag monikers that you think would be of great help, as i am at a crucial point in my career.

I am a graduate of chemcal engineering but for 2years now, have not gotten any engineering related job. The only job i got was at KPMG (audit), which i resigned after 3 months due to some personal reasons. I am currently an Area Sales Rep with a poultry feed production company that pays 183k per month (net take home after tax and other necessary deductions), though i could use up to 20 to 25k to fuel my car monthly.
Now, i just got a PTDF scholarship offer to study Advanced process integration and design in UK but not really sure if it is worth ditching my current job for it.

I am not very confident about securing a job once i finish msc because only a handful of opportunities come for chemical engineers. more also,UK rarely retains Nigerians.

Please what are your advices, especially from those who have done Msc in Uk.

I need your advices, i dont want to make a costly mistake.

Bro if i may ask, how long will be the duration of your study??

I can AUTHORITATIVELY bet-it that before the end of your study, you can be given a placement for a job, take that with faith..

Hence, you said your orientation program will be few days from now right? Kindly prepare your mind and soul to attend, so as to get more insight about the whole show...

Inaddition, with all the advice/ideas given to you, i am 100% sure you must have already concluded your plans!!!

Finally, I wouldn't mind if you can jejely pass on the shoes to take over you from your current place of work to be a sales-rep......waiting for your response based on that!!!

God bless you!!
Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by haddernyke: 11:22am On Sep 08, 2017
As beneficiary of this said scholarship I would say you should take the opportunity and do your MSc. Firstly because you never know what opportunities lie ahead. Take this opportunity to develop yourself to be more employable or self employed. Though I stayed back after MSc that was because I studied something else, the chances of you getting a job or stay back in the UK is almost zero but not impossible. Other option might be to consider a PhD after your MSc which can be funded by the same organisation or by other scholarships out there. With a PhD there are greater changes of getting job and staying back in the UK.
Even for the experience of living in the UK for 1yr I would say it's worth it. Plus any chance of doing a workplace attachment here in UK while you are doing your MSc would be highly invaluable toward your employment prospects.

2 Likes

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by bigyomite(m): 11:23am On Sep 08, 2017
As an HR with one of Nig top firm I would advise u take the giant step by accepting the MSc offer, the fact still remain that many of our graduate today are outside there looking for job but if this such opportunity come u only need to take it considering the economic situation of the country, God will surely see u through my Broda, go in peace and u shall prosper at the end of the program.

1 Like

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by JerryDM1: 11:27am On Sep 08, 2017
DanXplore:
Please, i could use some career advice from great nairalanders. Please tag monikers that you think would be of great help, as i am at a crucial point in my career.

I am a graduate of chemcal engineering but for 2years now, have not gotten any engineering related job. The only job i got was at KPMG (audit), which i resigned after 3 months due to some personal reasons. I am currently an Area Sales Rep with a poultry feed production company that pays 183k per month (net take home after tax and other necessary deductions), though i could use up to 20 to 25k to fuel my car monthly.
Now, i just got a PTDF scholarship offer to study Advanced process integration and design in UK but not really sure if it is worth ditching my current job for it.

I am not very confident about securing a job once i finish msc because only a handful of opportunities come for chemical engineers. more also,UK rarely retains Nigerians.

Being a private firm job, I would rather say you forfeit it as you don't know what might happen tomorrow. Go for the scholarship, by so doing, you are investing in your self which will greatly profit you and your career. Take the risk of quitting your job.
Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by Fynebouy: 11:27am On Sep 08, 2017
mrbyron:
My friend. People are telling you that you can from the UK, apply to Canada to live and study. That is not true. You have to first return to your home country before you can travel to Canada. Please take note of that

Not true. I studied in UK and found it easier to get Canadian visas from UK. Stop scaring the poster.

4 Likes

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by obailala(m): 11:28am On Sep 08, 2017
DanXplore:

You have a fully funded scholarship which is worth well over N10million; that sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity bro. Besides, you aren't even doing a proper engineering job at the moment, N183k may seem enticing considering the state of things in Nigeria, but the truth is that you deserve better than that sales job. If you were to self-fund your studies, then it may have been a difficult decision, but with a scholarship as powerful as PTDF, quickly dump that sales job and go for your masters (even the £400 monthly allowance from PTDF is more than your current salary) wink As a PTDF ex-scholar myself, to be able to get the OSS, you must already be a smart guy, and that means you are very likely to succeed afterwards.

2 Likes

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by tempex88(m): 11:28am On Sep 08, 2017
DanXplore:

Why are you talking like this? am currently leaving a job of 400k monthly for a UK masters fully self sponsored. For me I need to acquire additional knowledge. Job that they can sack you tomorrow. By the way, I have been asked to resign from a Job before so I have no pity for employers. I will rather go get the MSC and come back to hustle for Job. Even if na 100k job I finally see, I will take it and know I know I am better equipped. Also for you to secure job at KPMG and also that admission, u r a very intelligent person.

Please just tell me you have gotten your VISA and resigned. Try not to entertain any form of negativity. The Nigerian environment can kill bright minds. How dare u settle for 183k....Jesus. with 183k u can not afford to even live a low life except you want to be stealing from ur organization.

3 Likes

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by dayowunmi(m): 11:29am On Sep 08, 2017
Joseph (DanXplore) destiny was for the palace (overseas), He found himself in potiphars house (agric feed company) he was doing well and fine but his masters wife (the allure of job security) wanted to bed him and perhaps relieve him of his servant duties and make him boss of the household but Joseph refused and chose to press on, it wasn't rosy but he ended up better than whatever he could have become in portiphars house (agric feed company). When he eventually got to the palace, even portiphar and his household bowed for him. i dont know if you are a christian but reading your story, this story erupted in my mind. My advise is pray about it, and make your decision based on your conscience.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by geosegun(m): 11:32am On Sep 08, 2017
DanXplore:

Ditch the Job and go for your masters since it is PTDF scholarship. Opportunity comes but once. I was a PTDF scholar too. and I can tell you I am happy I did this as i was tempted to defer it due to series of small contracts that came my way which was not really regular.

Please note that UK does not allow you to stay back after your graduation and hence I will advise that you come study and use the opportunity to acquire skills, computers and software that will allow you to practice your profession as soon as your return. You can also do some weekend menial jobs that will allow you to safe extra pounds while you study so as to give you a soft landing back home when you return and then go all out there and start a business, mean while, you can still be searching for jobs that befits you.

In my case, I used the post study visa (now repealed) to stay back, and looked for opportunities while I try to raise some money to start buying geo-engineering equipment for my proposed company but then, an excellent opportunity came my way in terms of Job offer, that takes me to places and here i am since then...

While my job paid well and dwarfs most top salaries in Nig, after conversion, there is nothing like having a personal company as you may not be able to fathom how much the company may worth in 5 yrs or say 10 yrs.

Note that when you work for someone..your income growth is linearly proportional but when you have your own company...Income growth would be exponential.

These are my sincere advise from personal experience.

Let me know if you require further information.

1 Like

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by oilygirl: 11:35am On Sep 08, 2017
But the list of successful applicants hasn't been published yet. Or has it? Orientation next week??

1 Like

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by kurukusese: 11:35am On Sep 08, 2017
going abroad for a scholarship though seem bleak after the scholarship but its an avenue for exploit and an opendoor for a new channel of life and better opporunities to better your lots. Jobs in Nigeria has no guarantee afterall its not your personal company, what if you lose your job today? you could be worse-off for it. Take your chances. by and large, More education is not a regret.

1 Like

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by ignis: 11:36am On Sep 08, 2017
It's quite unfortunate that Nigerian graduates can't think but rather wants others to think for them.

You are an adult and should be able to know what you want. You could regret if you take random advice dropped here by inexperienced people.

Please follow your mind.

3 Likes

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by saajus: 11:37am On Sep 08, 2017
Too easy. Don't be confused.. Go for your Masters - 2yrs. After your Masters, move to US or Canada for PhD in Petroleum Engineering or similar field of your interest - 3yrs. You will surely get scholarship/assistantship for that too. After your PhD in Canada, permanent resident permit is 100% sure.After your PhD in USA, permanent resident is not 100% sure but smart guys know how to use their PhD research papers get permanent resident..

Assuming you get $80k/annum job after your PhD which I believe with your qualifications, that shouldn't be difficult. If you are not extravagant, let's say you have $50k left after paying bills.You will have 36million Naira in savings after 2 yrs of work. 7 Yrs working in Poultry feed mill, you will make 15m Naira if you don't spend a dime from your salary.

Boy, take this 7 yrs journey to change your life. If you are so patriotic and you decide to return to Nigeria after 7 yrs, you will have PhD, international exposure, Canada/USA resident permit and 36million in your bank.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by bravesoul247(m): 11:39am On Sep 08, 2017
Patrizia:

FBN is obviously a better career path than an area sales rep (if you're trying to get an Msc then surely, u realise that). That being said, you do not have a visa yet. Visas are not 100% guaranteed these days. But in the spirit of positivity, let's assume that you will get it.

Is it possible to defer your admission for a year? (I don't knw if its allowed with ptdf scholarships. If you can, defer your admission, take the job with fbn and take a study leave next year. You can always negotiate with your department. All organisations want opportunities for growth. You'll come back better and they wont even have to pay. That way you have a job to return to after your MSc in case nothing else works out.

The only problem there is that advance process integration might not be related to your field at fbn. Either way, if u defer, you have an entire year to work around that.

All this is even on the assumption that you'll make it through training sch. Anything can happen. If you don't make it, u still have ur old job and your admission to fall back on. But again in the spirit of positivity, let us assume that you do make it.

If you do. you can get the fbn job and ask if its possible to defer your employment (after training sch)pending the completion of your masters program. I think the chances of deferring the admission are better than this one though.

My point is, in this economy, hold all the birds you can catch. If you leave for the Uk now, you'll meet us in election year and there's no telling what the next election'll look like with this administration.

If this admission was in canada or the us, there'll be no need for this thread.

Whatever you do, make sure you have at least two of the three birds you currently have now in your hands.
young man, read before commenting. He didn't mention getting a Job in FBN, he said a poultry farm.
Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by geosegun(m): 11:39am On Sep 08, 2017
ignis:
It's quite unfortunate that Nigerian graduates can't think but rather wants others to think for them.

You are an adult and should be able to know what you want. You could regret if you take random advice dropped here by inexperienced people.

Please follow your mind.

@ignis; nice too see that you are still here after a long time. hope life is good.
Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by MaziOmenuko: 11:41am On Sep 08, 2017
Go and do your Msc. 183k is not too fantastic of an offer; morever, there are chances that if you liaise with your HR manager very well, you may have your job back when you return from UK (its called study leave, many organizations do it, you go for 18months - 2 yrs without pay although there's no guarantee but theres a big chance that you will have your job back).

An msc in process design (either advanced or not grin) is a wonderful major. I know your greatest fear now is securing a job after your program. If you can land a 183k job with a first degree, trust me, you can land more and better offers with your new CV which will include an Msc and few years job experience. Nigeria is recovering from recession, within the next few months, there will be offers and your likes has better opportunity.

And hey, I'm a chemical engr, would soon start Msc process Engr, UNILAG part time so I get to keep my job and do my Msc cheesy grin cheesy (don't change your mind now)
Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by Nackzy: 11:42am On Sep 08, 2017
Bros don't I repeat don't leave that job... I repeat don't leave that job.. I finished my Msc at Aberdeen... Left a job... So don't make that mistake

3 Likes

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by geosegun(m): 11:43am On Sep 08, 2017
saajus:
Too easy. Don't be confused.. Go for your Masters - 2yrs. After your Masters, move to US or Canada for PhD - 3yrs. You will surely get scholarship/assistantship for that too. After your PhD in Canada, permanent resident permit is 100% sure.After your PhD in USA, permanent resident is not 100% sure but smart guys know a way to use their PhD research papers get permanent resident..

Assuming you get $80k/annum job after your PhD which I believe with your qualifications, that shouldn't be difficult. If you are not extravagant, let's say you have $50k left after paying bills.You will have 36million in savings after 2 yrs of work. 7 Yrs working in Poultry feed mill, you will make 15m if you don't spend a dime from your salary.

Boy, take this 7 yrs journey to change your life. If you are so patriotic and you decide to return to Nigeria after 7 yrs, you will have PhD, international exposure, Canada/USA resident permit and 36million in your bank.

It is not everyone that is privileged to get an high paying job as you exemplified above...its good to be optimistic but not to be too optimistic as you analysed above....I have seen masters and PhD holders earning much less than you exemplified above. Please get off form your high horse and face reality

My one cent

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by nickyosas(m): 11:46am On Sep 08, 2017
DanXplore:

Well, if it's professionalism you are after, your concern sas chemical engineer working as a sales rep might be founded.

Now, 183k a month in this country is more than adequate. There is the career path you are following which based on experience and accomplishments can land you bigger opportunities down the line.

So, why not take up a part time Msc degree here In The country on the long run?

Certification is needed but again, your monthly income is a good reason to rethink this.

2 Likes

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by 234ng44uk(m): 11:47am On Sep 08, 2017
DanXplore:

You need sensible first hand experience/advice? Read my lips: Stay on your job. UK graduates now return to Nigeria to drive uber. I've been home for a while now jobless despite enviable UK credentials (1st and 2nd degree.
Bottom line, stay on that job if it's a guaranteed source of livelihood.

2 Likes

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by fumiswtpusy(f): 11:48am On Sep 08, 2017
Danxplore you didn't mention my moniker.i am one of the most intelligent these forum has.
Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by geosegun(m): 11:53am On Sep 08, 2017
nickyosas:

Well, if it's professionalism you are after, your concern sas chemical engineer working as a sales rep might be founded.

Now, 183k a month in this country is more than adequate. There is the career path you are following which based on experience and accomplishments can land you bigger opportunities down the line.

So, why not take up a part time Msc degree here In The country on the long run?

Certification is needed but again, your monthly income is a good reason to rethink this.

WRONG ADVISE

Advising him to forgo a secured oversea scholarship worth over N10,000,000 is not ideal. This is an opportunity of a life time. Nothing stops him to go acquire more knowledge and skills and return fully equipped for personal and career growth...if he hasn't got a scholarship is a different ball game entirely.

Nigeria is getting out of recession and by the time he returns after 1 year. the economy should be more buoyant and that gives him an edge to get better job after returns
Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by tempex88(m): 11:54am On Sep 08, 2017
234ng44uk:

You need sensible first hand experience/advice? Read my lips: Stay on your job. UK graduates now return to Nigeria to drive uber. I've been home for a while now jobless despite enviable UK credentials (1st and 2nd degree.

I would rather acquire the knowledge and come back to drive uber pending when something better will show

3 Likes

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by bjnice(m): 11:54am On Sep 08, 2017
DanXplore:

Thanks. I dont know much about US or Canada admission processes but i know it will take a while to secure admission there. Ptdf might demand we fly this year and i am not sure i could secure another admission before deadline elapses. we have orientation next week and so i'll find out more

you can differ the admission, i hv a friend who got admission to Australia school, but when ptdf couldn't meet up with the school fees, he opt for another school in Canada, make adequate finding when you get to orientation centre, but Canada school resume in April, aside Sept/ Oct resumption date.
Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by saajus: 11:55am On Sep 08, 2017
You are right but if he knows what he's doing very well and give his best, $80k/annum is even small for PhD in his field. I am not talking of computer science graduate who can't write a line of code or a petroleum Engineer who doesn't know fluid mechanics. $80k is not that high paying job. Smart guys are easily earning 120-150k. Fresh PhD graduates are earning 170k+60k bonus at Google. Many Nigerians are there but you won't see them gallivanting or jumping from one show to another because they are too busy seeking knowledge.Those two countries I mentioned do not celebrate average. Many Nigerians remain average when they travel because they get wrong orientations. They seek money first instead of knowledge. They keep working hard instead of working smart.That's why most stay in low paying jobs forever. They think money comes by the number of hours they work which is a big lie.

geosegun:

It is not everyone that is privileged to get an high paying job as you exemplified above...its good to be optimistic but not to be too optimistic as you analysed above....I have seen masters and PhD holders earning much less than you exemplified above. Please get off form your high horse and face reality

My one cent

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by geosegun(m): 11:56am On Sep 08, 2017
234ng44uk:

What happened to Mr A may not be applicable to Mr B.

1 Like

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by jtjohn(m): 11:57am On Sep 08, 2017
DanXplore:

Continue with your job, if it were to be US I would have ask u to grab the opportunity with immediate alacrity.

1 Like

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by ignis: 11:58am On Sep 08, 2017
geosegun:

@ignis; nice too see that you are still here after a long time. hope life is good.

i have been doing great.....

Thank You.

1 Like

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by 234ng44uk(m): 12:01pm On Sep 08, 2017
tempex88:

I would rather acquire the knowledge and come back to drive uber pending when something better will show
You're still young. Your blood still dey hot. And most likely you have nothing worthwhile doing in Nigeria anyway. So, nothing to lose, nothing at stake for you. My response is to DanXplore and anyone out there who is gainfully employed and earning a modest salary, please stay on that job.

2 Likes

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by KappaJ1: 12:04pm On Sep 08, 2017
DanXplore:

Your fears are valid bro. I was once there. I was a PTDF scholar myself. I studied Engineering too and was working as an IT engineer in the bank but had to leave my banking job when I got the scholarship.
In life, you cannot achieve anything worthwhile without taking some risks. Having to leave your KPMG job was a risk and it didn't kill you. Staying in your sales rep job in the poultry feed company is also a risk just as leaving it for your scholarship.
You now need to weigh the risks.
To me, taking up the scholarship has the lowest risk. PTDF scholarship covers your tuition, accommodation, books, laptop, return ticket and ALL your living expenses in the UK. Your monthly stipend should be more than the 183k you are currently earning and you are not paying accommodation from it.

The only risk is what happens after the scholarship. And there are things you can do to better your prospects after the scholarship:
1) Maintain good relationship with your current employer. Be open, tell them about the scholarship and be sure to resign gracefully. No good employer would not like to take you back after studying abroad on scholarship. I had the chance to return to my former job only that I had better plans after my masters.
2) Develop employable skills. Engineering related jobs are scarce because we graduate engineers at a faster rate than there are engineering firms coming up. You can look beyond chemical engineering and develop cross industry skills. Entrepreneurial skills are highly valuable to any organization. If you have flare for software development, it's a skill that can always fetch a job anywhere in the world.
3) Save. Ensure to have a good saving from your current job and your PTDF stipend. It can keep you going while you are looking for job after your studies. There are also some jobs you can do in the UK that can pay you higher than menial jobs and won't take much of your study time. E.g. teaching.

2 Likes

Re: MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please by tempex88(m): 12:05pm On Sep 08, 2017
234ng44uk:

You're still young. Your blood still dey hot. And most likely you have nothing worthwhile doing in Nigeria anyway. So, nothing to lose, nothing at stake for you. My response is to DanXplore and anyone out there who is gainfully employed and earning a modest salary, please stay on that job.

it's painful that our environment has transformed brilliant minds to something else. How can u compare free educational advancement to 183k job?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews / Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder / Costly mistakes i Discovered In 250 CVs:Why They Were Not Invited 4 Interviews

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.