Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,412 members, 7,781,194 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:26 AM

Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) (13113 Views)

Peak Milk Celebrates The Nigerian Para Powerlifting Team / Birmingham 2022: Folashade (Gold), Omolayo (Silver) In Women's Para-powerlifting / Conor Mcgregor Set To Overtake Cristiano Ronaldo On Forbes Athlete Rich List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by BloggerDonald: 7:46am On Sep 08, 2017
Every morning, Olajumoke Olajide rises around 4:30am from her Amukoko residence to get to the National Stadium where her coach, Aliu Adebayo waits for her to begin the day’s training. Her travails in this community on the outskirts of Lagos, a neighbourhood where unemployed youths run rampage and rape is rife, starts from the bus stop where she requires two people to help her board the yellow danfo bus. Many times, she has to wait for more than an hour before a helpful conductor will agree to fold up her 15 kilogrammes wheelchair and stow it into the bus and onwards to Surulere.

Watch Video Below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI67FVwUZKA

Olajide lost the use of her legs when she was four years old after falling ill. She says an injection caused paralysis to her lower limbs, a classic case of poliomyelitis.

Her parents ran helter-skelter in search of solutions, visiting healing homes, orthodox and religious as she became confined to using leg braces and crutches that came with pains so she started to crawl.

She dropped out of school in Primary Six when her parents could not afford the high cost of a special needs school and was asked to learn shoe making but could not sustain her interest.

Moving in with her aunty in Orile Iganmu led her to a chance meeting with a neighbour, a night club bouncer who encouraged her to take up sport in order to engage herself.

In 2009, Olajumoke had a life changing experience when she met people with different levels of paralysis at a charity donation organised by the MTN Foundation in Rowe Park, Yaba.

“When I got there, I forgot about my disability when I saw other people that had worse than me. I cried with them but made many friends that day,” she said. She left the place with a tricycle in tow and the name of a coach at the stadium.

She went to the powerlifting arena where she met Coach Are who encouraged her to keep coming. But someone advised her instead to go to the tracks where she met Coach Adebayo who would put her in a racing wheelchair for the first time.

“He took me as his own sister and encouraged me. He showed me what I am capable of achieving,” she said.

Following the early body pains of active competition, Olajumoke settled down to track and field where she began to compete in T53, a category for athletes who have spinal injuries since her condition had worsened over time.

She won the gold medal in the 100m wheelchair race at the National Sports Festival Eko 2012 in Lagos. And she became a member of the national team.

In 2016, Olajumoke broke the 11-year-old African T53 100m record that was held by Kenyan Anne Wafula, at her first international race, the International Paralympic Committee Athletics Grand Prix in Dubai.

It was a moment of personal fulfilment and triumph after many disappointments. “I didn’t know the moment when I started crying, I was so happy,” she said. She was left out of the Nigerian Paralympic Team to the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games but has not given up hope.

“When I saw my colleagues win medals in Rio I cried and told myself ‘one day I will become a Paralympian and I will win something when I get there.’”

According to figures released during the 2016 International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPWDs), 19million Nigerians live with at least one form of disability. But this has not stopped many from taking part in sport.

Nigeria won her first gold medal at the Paralympics in 1992, four years before gold was won by an able-bodied athlete at Atlanta ‘96. At Rio 2016 where the country got a bronze in football, para-athletes won eight gold medals in a total haul of 12 which has led for calls to prioritise the Paralympics above the Olympics.

Yet, the treatment that para-athletes have received has been incommensurate with their output as Onye shares an even worse experience.

Source : VIVAIN GIST (SPORTS)

cc; lalasticlala

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by ayourbamie: 8:14am On Sep 08, 2017
WOW
Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by Johngla(m): 11:46am On Sep 08, 2017
Believe is the major key

1 Like

Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by favourmic(m): 11:47am On Sep 08, 2017
You got to get up and make a move
Cause the world will never see you until you do
Cos, they don't really care what you're going through
Cause everybody's got their own damn problem so everybody's trying to find their way and day by day is the struggle in dis world we have to hustle, you got to show them, You got to show the world real you..

Thanks Olajumoke Olajide for showing the world the real you i pray God bless you more......

13 Likes

Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by Holuwahyomzzy: 11:48am On Sep 08, 2017
Very touching..sad No matter how many people DON'T believe in your dream, Always BELIEVE in yourself and Never give up!!

2 Likes

Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 08, 2017

Everybody has their own problems

Disability or no disability

no body's problem is bigger or smaller.

she's not the 1st disabled so why the buzz

or should I begin to fry sand

1 Share

Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by Mikee7(m): 11:50am On Sep 08, 2017
Yet some people will carry skate board and be looking for 20 Naira angry. Good job she did there grin
Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by DWJOBScom(m): 11:50am On Sep 08, 2017
Meat for the zombies

Your PMB doesn't care much about other sports save Football , said it before someone shows me the picture of PMB watching a live match(which we can't even tell how long he watched before jetting off to da oza room).
Your sport minister is an unrepentant thug consoled with that ministry so everyone can run to hell.

On a good note , am pleased with the story and alarmed with the statistics given on the number of Nigerians down with Disabilities.
Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by roqrules04(m): 11:51am On Sep 08, 2017
Great
Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by Tospark(m): 11:54am On Sep 08, 2017
Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by Youngbarna(m): 11:54am On Sep 08, 2017
grin ;DFuture Anthony Joshua in paralympian if she go jst leave naija go ghana
Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by Yinxies(f): 11:57am On Sep 08, 2017
Hmmmnn touching story...
Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by Phi001(m): 12:00pm On Sep 08, 2017
I don't quite understand the concept of a racing wheelchair...

Isn't that a case of the person with the better machine wins the race?
Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by simbol(f): 12:01pm On Sep 08, 2017
So so touching
Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by Thobiy(m): 12:02pm On Sep 08, 2017
i like this, ABILITY IN DISABILITY
Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by reality17(m): 12:06pm On Sep 08, 2017
Evaberry:

Ugly girl

1 Like

Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by karzyharsky(m): 12:31pm On Sep 08, 2017
GOD is ur strength
Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by ssogundele(m): 1:12pm On Sep 08, 2017
reality17:

Ugly girl
She's just been practical and objective as regard her comment but just that been objective and practical will deny the human race the clothes of humane

Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by Ramaa(m): 2:25pm On Sep 08, 2017
Evaberry:

It's very easy to speak those nonsense when you are fine........

But don't that is not over until you die.....anything can happen to anyone in anytime.......

Expect unexpected

2 Likes

Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by mccben4(m): 2:33pm On Sep 08, 2017
naija Olympians are useless prefer to watch Paralympians they will always deliever
Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by soliddust2020: 2:40pm On Sep 08, 2017
Phi001:
I don't quite understand the concept of a racing wheelchair...

Isn't that a case of the person with the better machine wins the race?

The wheel chair is not mechanical but the design that makes it faster. Just like they have normal bicycle, mountain bike and sports bike which you must use your leg to pedal all but they where built for different purpose.
Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by Jagermeister(m): 2:48pm On Sep 08, 2017
Evaberry:

Fool!
Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by BumbleBee2ice(f): 2:55pm On Sep 08, 2017
Evaberry:

Try fry breeze instead.
Pray to be in that her situation then u will know wat d buzz is. undecided
Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by nairanaira12: 3:05pm On Sep 08, 2017
ademusiwa3r:
It sad ...

You run query on the telephone companies database on brigradier in the military and above.. you post them all to government institution in civilian clothes.so that they can run them.. do that all institution will be discipline.

Democracy does not mean, you can't use the Military, to run government program
All the GoC have to send their men to government institution...

All the GOC have to send the medical and education Corp to take over, all hospital and schools on strike.. the doctor and teachers should work for the Military..
There is a need to appoint minister for disable/family council.. and create a ministry's..

You have it in all 774 local government
And bus service for people who are disable.

You create food bank in all 774 local government.

Osibanjo is more interested in running around nigeria, how he can become president..

So I understand why mr Buhari does not want to handover.. he lack interest in people well being nigerian, Osibanjo is not the man for the job..

Nigeria is fixable. .

Nigeria can be fix,. The law already told you, the military in the military barracks, can not be sued.

The military, are the one running schools and hospital in many countries

.. we need to make the military division control, the public hospital and public schools, because the military can not be sued.

The problem the health and education section suffer, are strike, law action, indisclpline..

1. The military can not be sued, their personal can not be taken to court.. so nobody can sue the hospital and schools.. the police can be sued..

2. The military can not go on strike
3. Military officers can not complain.
4 the military discipline it's officers.
5. We don't have to pay extra money to employ, civilian to manage the hospital and schools.
6. Many nigeria don't mind that their children go to military school. Those who mind can go to Bishop oyedepo and adeboye expensive schools..oyedepo would be happy to collect the money..

The 2 most important thing, you want is health and education.. you don't put important thing in n the hand of temporary staff call politicians.. you put it in the hands of military..

Nasa space in the USA has military running the place.

civilian can't do that.

The military has to control

Health
Education of your child
Fire service
Ambulance system in all hospital
Aviation, airports etc..
Nema
Nimesa etc

The military has to send officers to both federal,state and private hospital...

The military has to manage all public hospital.. in their various Military division... It does not remove the civilian.. the civilian abroad makes laws but the people who carry out the laws are Military and police officer..

I understand nigeria language , that implementation is where egunje dey. But it is the military which is suppose to implement.. not civilian... Civilian is just about law making.. implementation is suppose to be in the hands of Military

Civilian is just about law making abroad.. no egunje.. there are millions of nigerian living abroad, they dont get involve in politics because egunje, no dey there

The medical Corp of the Military has to send officers to all private hospital to control their ambulance.. and also send officers to federal and state hospital..... Bring the total number of ambulance under the military control to 150,000. And helicropters to airlift nigeria.

This way all hospital ambulance from federal, state, local government, private hospitals are under the control of the military...

There are.. 100,000 private hospitals in nigeria... The military has to have a man in there.. this serve as post for military, to be able to control security of Nigeria..

This 100,000

The military has to build an app..where all officers report every 3 hours.. and all Military officer has to download the app.

This way, the Military has a report of event where they are located.. in all 36 state.

The Military has to have a war room where all officers report event too..

All Military officers have to be posted to location... Private hospital, public places... Govt building..

There most be an army officer inside every government building,, both state and federal..

your school uniforms are colors of the military because the military, has to know what they teach your children...

the color of your public schools are the colors in military school. because the military is expected to fix school and hospitals..

nigeria had region.. there was a civil war. nigeria replace primer of regions with military GOC.. the military GOC represent the primers of the various regions to avoid another civil war.

You run query on the telephone company database on brigradier in the military and above.. you post them all to government institution in civilian clothes.. do that all institution will be discipline.

Did you just wake up from a coma? Which military you talking about? The one that sees civilian as trash? Those foreign countries, do you realise how their military personnel respect civilians? If you people refuse to behave like civilised beings but remain archaic in your conducts, you don't deserve any trust
Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by reality17(m): 3:17pm On Sep 08, 2017
ssogundele:

She's just been practical and objective as regard her comment but just that been objective and practical will deny the human race the clothes of humane

I hope u know wat u just did? Translate ur grammar in vanacular first plz
Re: Olajumoke Olajide: A Nigerian Para Athlete (Photos, Video) by eyinjuege: 5:10pm On Sep 08, 2017
Evaberry:

Yes, we know..

I also know you're the problem in the life of your people.

Their cross to bear.

Anyway, as you said, everyone with their own problems

(1) (Reply)

Ten Hag Named EPL Manager Of The Month / CAF Snub Super Eagles Stars In Africa XI For 2016 / John Ogu To Leave Hapoel Beer Sheva After 5 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.