Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:07 AM

Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? (5359 Views)

Spitting On Christians Is An Ancient Jewish Tradition (pics) / Hating Christians Is Fulfilment Of The Scripture / NL Christians , Is It Wrong For a Christian To EAT Sallah Meat ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 4:58pm On Sep 08, 2017
"It is in the old testament and jesus already done away with the old testament laws so they don't apply anymore"

This is a typical punch line by Christians everywhere on mostly issues about Morality and ethics, religious guidance and theology. Everyone is always quick to bring up that theological defence "It is the old testament"

The Old testament laws has been done away with, we are no longer bound by the laws of Moses; These answers are convenient when you bring up problems like "Why don't you stone your non-virgin brides, why do you eat pork, why do you wear clothing from different materials?

But then again is the Old testament Laws done ?

Cut remarkably when it is convenient Christians always invokes the Old testament Laws, example of such is when it comes to the problem of tithing, or the Issue of homosexuality or tattoos and many other issues that they would require biblical backings to accept or condemn.

Take for instance on a thread about the Christian ideas on tattoos, a good brother pulled out the Leviticus codec
Ericsdm55:
I believe Leveticus 19:28 said it all. It's God's Word about cutting any part of the body. Look through it and take your decision. It's clearly not what a believer should showcase. Remember we must continue to shine as light in this world of sin until the Lord returns, which is of course nearer with all prophecies being in fulfilment.

Seems that the whole plot is a dance around of "pick the ones you like, the ones you don't like just say Jesus has done away with them, they no longer apply"

The whole notion of old testament Laws being done away with seem to me to be a mere excuse to exempt themselves from laws they find extremely barbaric and abhorrent in the Bible but the ones that can be related with in the new world is totally fine to be derived by old testament codecs.

So the question is: Are we done with the Law or not.

Just make up your mind and stick to it.

If the Law is done then on what basis would you condemn people who go consonant to these charges like Homosexuals, non-titters, people who draw tattoo.

If you can invoke the Old testament commandments or laws to condemn some acts it means the laws are not done therefore there is need for you to resurrect every bit of the law and practise, unless you think God got those laws real wrong.

Are we done or not?

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by dalaman: 5:09pm On Sep 08, 2017
Everything about the bible is subject to personal interpretation and opinion.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Sep 08, 2017
na today they invent bullshit everyday. someone on that thread claimed tattoo can cause spiritual infection LMAO cheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 5:24pm On Sep 08, 2017
dalaman:
Everything about the bible is subject to personal interpretation and opinion.

Everyone is allowed to cherry pick the ones they agree with and do away with the ones consonant with their ideas and thoughts but wouldn't that place doctrinal validity into question since the biblical canon is manoeuvred as one deem fit

Saint Augustine once said: If you believe some part of the scripture and not the other, it is not the scripture you believe but yourself

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by hopefulLandlord: 5:25pm On Sep 08, 2017
Christians have never and will never make up their minds on anything

there was a thread Hardmirror created in which he asked Christians if they're permitted to kill here https://www.nairaland.com/3611001/when-christians-permitted-kill-christian

our Christians quickly ran under the old testament to say Christians are permitted to kill and when their hypocrisy was pointed out to them, they simply doubled down by putting new words in Jesus mouth and saying Jesus did allow for killing; Hardmirror never gave them any breathing space and when they couldn't back those words with the Bible, they realised their folly

This prompted blueagent to create a thread and ask fellow Christians if the old law still applies or not
you can visit this link www.nairaland.com/3615455/does-new-covenant-abolish-ten/10 and see how the thread fared

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 5:26pm On Sep 08, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:
na today they invent bullshit everyday. someone one that thread claimed tattoo can cause spiritual infection LMAO cheesy

I am more concerned with everyone coming to a reasonable conclusion, are we to do away with the old testament or not, why do we still need to quote them in defence on our stance of moral issues. If they are no longer valid then they become less an argument, if they are still valid then why are we not keeping all.

2 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 5:27pm On Sep 08, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Christians have never and will never make up their minds on anything

there was a thread Hardmirror created in which he asked Christians if they're permitted to kill here https://www.nairaland.com/3611001/when-christians-permitted-kill-christian

our Christians quickly ran under the old testament and when their hypocrisy was pointed out to them simply doubled down by putting new words in Jesus mouth and saying Jesus did allow for killing; Hardmirror never gave them any breathing space and when they couldn't back those words with the Bible, blueagent created a thread to ask fellow Christians
you can visit this link www.nairaland.com/3615455/does-new-covenant-abolish-ten/10 and see how the thread fared

Hahahaha well that sounds interesting!!!
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by hopefulLandlord: 5:30pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:

Hahahaha well that sounds interesting!!!
the level of insults they threw at each other on that thread was mindblowing

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by chemystery: 5:44pm On Sep 08, 2017
If they say "that was the old testament", ask them what Jesus meant by this:

But it is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the smallest detail of the Law to be done away with.
- Luke 16:17 GNB

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by hopefulLandlord: 5:46pm On Sep 08, 2017
why are our holy spirit filled Christians avoiding this thread?

perhaps they're finding it hard making up their mind?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by urahara(m): 5:57pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:
"It is in the old testament and jesus already done away with the old testament laws so they don't apply anymore"

This is a typical punch line by Christians everywhere on mostly issues about Morality and ethics, religious guidance and theology. Everyone is always quick to bring up that theological defence "It is the old testament"

The Old testament laws has been done away with, we are no longer bound by the laws of Moses; These answers are convenient when you bring up problems like "Why don't you stone your non-virgin brides, why do you eat pork, why do you wear clothing from different materials?

But then again is the Old testament Laws done ?

Cut remarkably when it is convenient Christians always invokes the Old testament Laws, example of such is when it comes to the problem of tithing, or the Issue of homosexuality or tattoos and many other issues that they would require biblical backings to accept or condemn.

Take for instance on a thread about the Christian ideas on tattoos, a good brother pulled out the Leviticus codec

Seems that the whole plot is a dance around of "pick the ones you like, the ones you don't like just say Jesus has done away with them, they no longer apply"

The whole notion of old testament Laws being done away with seem to me to be a mere excuse to exempt themselves from laws they find extremely barbaric and abhorrent in the Bible but the ones that can be related with in the new world is totally fine to be derived by old testament codecs.

So the question is: Are we done with the Law or not.

Just make up your mind and stick to it.

If the Law is done then on what basis would you condemn people who go consonant to these charges like Homosexuals, non-titters, people who draw tattoo.

If you can invoke the Old testament convenient or laws to condemn some acts it means the laws are not done therefore there is need for you to resurrect every bit of the law and practise, unless you think God got those laws real wrong.

Are we done or not?

Looooool.

No direct answer should be expected from xtians at all.

...........verbal gymnastics loading.........

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by geoworldedu: 6:08pm On Sep 08, 2017
Old things have passed away, behold, all things have become new. cheesy cheesy It is d dispensation of grace. grin The old testament laws are no more valid except the ten commandments, the not wearing of trousers for females and twelve other laws like that cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Krystalzkris(f): 6:29pm On Sep 08, 2017
the Bible is made up of two questions. New Testament is compulsory, Old Testament is optional but if you can answer Old Testament and you don't know everything just leave the ones you can't answer.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Martinez19(m): 7:34pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22 here is the answer.

Romans 3:31

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Martinez19(m): 7:37pm On Sep 08, 2017
@johnydon22, I use this verse to smack those sheeples that are trying to say the old testament does not matter anymore. When I say the sheeples don't know their buybull than we atheists, they think I am joking. I have given you the verse from many translations of the bible.

1 Like

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by dalaman: 7:47pm On Sep 08, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

They'll tell you that you lack understanding because of your unbelief or lack of spiritual understanding. When you tell them to use their spiritual knowledge and explain they'll start crying.

When I ask them to point out anywhere in the NT where Jesus says that the OT is bunk, and especially to point out where he says this as clearly as he says that he did not come to abolish the law, and that the law shall prevail every jot and tittle, they get all defensive and start talking about how I just don't really understand it because I don't believe. If i tell them to explain as clearly as they can as believers they begin to cry. What could possibly be more intellectually dishonest and condemnable than this?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Sep 08, 2017
cc. an2elect the only true Christian on nairaland your attention is needed. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Martinez19(m): 7:57pm On Sep 08, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:
cc. an2elect the only true Christian on nairaland your attention is needed. grin
I have already given them the answer on this thread. They can't say rubbish. grin grin grin grin

Like holy spirit like followers, never there when you need them.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Ranchhoddas: 8:00pm On Sep 08, 2017
I see DoctorAlien viewing. Maybe he has something to say.

1 Like

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:27pm On Sep 08, 2017
I must note that this is a nice question.

The word "Law" denotes many things throughout the Bible. Sometimes it refers to the 10 Commandments/moral Law which was given on Mt. Sinai(Deut. 33:2). Other times it refers to the totality of the Laws given to Israel while they were encamped at Sinai(Gal. 3:13). It is also used to refer to the 5 Books of Moses i.e Genesis to Deuteronomy(Matt. 22:40).

The totality of the Laws given to Israel at Sinai is (roughly for now)divided into two parts: the moral Law/10 Commandments and the ceremonial law. The moral Law was written on a stone(which symbolizes durability) and is eternal(Exod. 31:18; Psa. 119:152). The ceremonial law was written in a book(easily perishable) and had to do with sacrifices and oblations and other sabbaths which actually pointed to Jesus Christ, the Lamb of GOD. It was never intended to last forever(Dan. 9:27).

So, in answer to the question: we are done with the ceremonial laws which pointed to Jesus' sacrificial works.

Happy Sabbath.

2 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:29pm On Sep 08, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
I see Doctor Alien viewing. Maybe he has something to say.

Sure. smiley
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by PDF01(m): 8:38pm On Sep 08, 2017
The law is over for good... Christ is the end of the law (Romans 10:4)
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 8:42pm On Sep 08, 2017
chemystery:
If they say "that was the old testament", ask them what Jesus meant by this:

But it is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the smallest detail of the Law to be done away with.
- Luke 16:17 GNB

bump!!
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 8:42pm On Sep 08, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Honestly!!! I do not appreciate the hypocrisy one bit
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by urahara(m): 8:43pm On Sep 08, 2017
geoworldedu:
Old things have passed away, behold, all things have become new. cheesy cheesy It is d dispensation of grace. grin The old testament laws are no more valid except the ten commandments, the not wearing of trousers for females and twelve other laws like that cheesy

And tithing to has not passed away.

Obviously it can't

How then will pastors eat and acquire midas wealth at the expense of their congregation.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 8:44pm On Sep 08, 2017
Martinez19:
johnydon22 here is the answer.

Romans 3:31
which literally means the Law still stands and wasn't nullified?

well that isn't my problem, my problem is: If the Law stands then practise all of it, if not don't practise any of it. I hope they learn from it
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 8:45pm On Sep 08, 2017
Martinez19:
@johnydon22, I use this verse to smack those sheeples that are trying to say the old testament does not matter anymore. When I say the sheeples don't know their buybull than we atheists, they think I am joking. I have given you the verse from many translations of the bible.

LOL calm down abeg... una blood too dey hot here well well
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 8:48pm On Sep 08, 2017
DoctorAlien:
I must note that this is a nice question.

The word "Law" denotes many things throughout the Bible. Sometimes it refers to the 10 Commandments/moral Law which was given on Mt. Sinai(Deut. 33:2). Other times it refers to the totality of the Laws given to Israel while they were encamped at Sinai(Gal. 3:13). It is also used to refer to the 5 Books of Moses i.e Genesis to Deuteronomy(Matt. 22:40).

The totality of the Laws given to Israel at Sinai is (roughly for now)divided into two parts: the moral Law/10 Commandments and the ceremonial law. The moral Law was written on a stone(which symbolizes durability) and is eternal(Exod. 31:18; Psa. 119:152). The ceremonial law was written in a book(easily perishable) and had to do with sacrifices and oblations and other sabbaths which actually pointed to Jesus Christ, the Lamb of GOD. It was never intended to last forever(Dan. 9:27).

So, in answer to the question: we are done with the ceremonial laws which pointed to Jesus' sacrificial works.

Happy Sabbath.

So tell me which law does this example fall under

"If your wife was not a virgin on her wedding night, bring her out and she'd be stoned to death"

" Kill members of your relation who wants to make you serve other gods"

Please are these morally hinged or ceremonial?

2 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:51pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:

So tell me which law does this example fall under

"If your wife was not a virgin on her wedding night, bring her out and she'd be stoned to death"

" Kill members of your relation who wants to make you serve other gods"

Please are these morally hinged or ceremonial?

I think it would be proper to tell us the verses you quote.

3 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 8:54pm On Sep 08, 2017
DoctorAlien:

Kill a proven non-virgin wife : Deuteronomy 22:13-21

Kill stubborn son: Deuteronomy 21:18-21

So are these ceremonial or moral codecs?

2 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by 701ecilana: 8:55pm On Sep 08, 2017
DoctorAlien:

He is not out to have a discussion, but to scorn and malign. Don't feed him. Let the thread die.

We feed these people, without us, they die, let them die.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Ranchhoddas: 8:57pm On Sep 08, 2017
DoctorAlien:

Sure. smiley
Let's hear it. Try not to post those yeye links that you love to post.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The OLUMBA OLUMBA Story - Why He’s god / Where Was Daniel? / mm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.