Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:45 AM

First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively (26539 Views)

Was My Boss Right For Sacking Me Because I Was Hypotized. / CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval / Globacom Denies Sacking Female Staff Due To Marital Status (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by adedayourt(m): 7:52am On Sep 09, 2017
u mean dey use test msg to sack pple??

Dat means first bank Diego Costa it staff, dats unfair

2 Likes

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by RALPHOW(m): 7:53am On Sep 09, 2017
I think it is time that government of CHANGE / GMB do something about this Banks Exploitation. Every year they declare billions of naira has profit. All this billion is at the expense of helpless Nigerian youths. Our government should protect the youths. The no of helpless destiny these banks destroyed yearly through their exploitation should better imagine.
Many young people with good job or small businesses that took loan from these Banks are now leaving in penury because of their greed. ( they give loan to young business owner without proper explanation, rope you in and you start working for them)
YOUTHS Please and please if you start a new business with prospect never approach Nigeria Banks, rather grow your business gradually.
YOUTHS Please if you get a good job do not take bank loan otherwise they will enslave you, build your house gradually, buy the car your savings can afford and safe to start business.
YOUTH Please if you secure contract job with Nigeria Bank do not be happy, just see it as a stepping stone, save your money to start business and DROP THEM before they DROP U.
GMB please help Banks are killing Nigeria Youths.!!!!
GMB PLEASE START A YOUTH BANK LIKE IBB'S PEOPLES BANK WHERE YOUTHS AND CIVIL SERVANTS CAN SECURE SOFT LOAN AT 5% WITHOUT ANY HIDDEN CHARGES.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by herkeym001(m): 8:08am On Sep 09, 2017
LastSurvivor11:
My sister working there complained exactly the same thing..
And somebody said recession has ended..
It will take decades to correct the unprecedented predicaments this buhari government has brought Nigerians.
E no go better for them..
This isn't recession matter. But one of Nigeria labour disease. I'm a victim of ......... Company. They will just sack with no reason.
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by franktolk(m): 8:12am On Sep 09, 2017
Nigerians like doing things the wrong way .

A contract job is that where you are employed for a specific job,at a specific rate for a specific time period . All the condition of service would usually be spelt out in the contract papers . As a contractor the hiring manager is not bound to pay you holiday allowance, sick leave allowance, pension contribution ,insurance etc .

In view of the conditions have stated above ,in Europe (which I know of ) and probably in the U.S and other civilised world with good labour laws you will find out that at every point in time contractors usually earn more than permanent staff because the hirer is not liable to pay any future or immediate benefit usually paid to permanent employee.

So most times you will find out that while a permanent staff may be on a £36,000 per annum job a contractor could be hired for that similar job in the same office and would be paid ; let's say £400 a day but the contract could be for just 6months or 12 months with a probable extension and when its not extended or when the projects ends the contractor would have to leave and look for another contract elsewhere.

As a contractor you are more like a business man , so at every point in time you have to be a fast thinker and very calculative , you need to make good use of whatever you're earning , investing your income wisely ,saving for the raining day , have a back up and always looking for other job openings that may likely pay better or with longer contracting period.

In Nigeria, its however a big shame when I see contractors been treated like slaves . They are poorly paid despite the fact that they are excluded from every other benefits . Its all wrong ....and the government would need to do something very fast .

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by mayorchelsea(m): 8:14am On Sep 09, 2017
Maybe the meaning of contract staff needs to be defined again.Every contract staff knew what he/she was getting into as regards job security before taking up the offer.In Nigeria,many a times we accept jobs due to frustration and fear of the unknown or tomorrow and when reality sets in,we begin to complain as if we were never aware of these things.

4 Likes

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by Toks2008(m): 8:19am On Sep 09, 2017
Klimaths:
Hello, fellow nairalander please who can help stop this wickedness of first bank and whtycleon with their indiscriminate way of sacking contract staff for no reasons they will just send you a text messages that your services are no longer needed. Not because you commit fraud or any other issues on the job , all they do is to send you a text message and disengage you .

Those that have been sacked have additional qualification and upgraded their results , so there is no reasons at all for the massive sacking. Imagine they will employ you when you still useful and able to apply for other jobs and sack you when your age have past the employment age of virtually all company that will require your services.

Sacking by 33 year, to 35yrs. Who will employ you. After all the scarifies in the job. They just sack you with no benefit of any kind. Please who can help stop this wickedness contract staff are like slaves to them, use you and dump you.

Please my advice to those seeking for contract job in first bank please think twice because the same fate awaits you. Please can the mod take this to the front page. Please the lawyers in the house can help enlighten if any legal action can be taken against them. Thanks

I believe it comes with the terms and conditions of employment so you just have to expect it and be proactive.
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by cremedelacreme: 8:20am On Sep 09, 2017
kennygee:

Where is the opportunity to upgrade?

They work till late. They don't have time to go to school. Even on weekends, they are either on one compulsory training or on ATM duty.

Exactly my thought! Except you're in sales, but it's almost impossible if you are in operations. Compulsory meetings/ trainings or ATM duty every weekend. It's sad.

1 Like

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by YommyukGB: 8:23am On Sep 09, 2017
amicable09:
Hi OP, I understand your plight perfectly well and I wish to sympathize with you based on what you or others may be going through at this time.

Contract staffing is very much recognized and advised in banking and it is supported by Central Bank. It's not a practice that started today though, it's an age old practice. In every banking hall, there MUST be a certain number of people who are to be employed as contract staff and another fraction who must be core staff and the roles these different sets of people play is well defined by the regulatory body.

Whether good or bad, depends on the organization where you find yourself. I don't want to talk about how they are treated or how they are disengaged, I however want to talk about what I've observed in some.

You know about age requirement in banking and you know that CBN has an approved age a staff can be at a level. For instance, I see some 30 year olds as Executive Trainees in a bank either as a core staff or as a contract staff, I find this totally worrisome! And it's not like it isn't obvious to these people, they think it's okay to be at that level at that age and make excuses for their banks saying "promotion window has been shut for sometime now". If the window is shut, did they also shut the doors? CBN frowns at having bankers who are trying to make the profession look like a joke. In fact, right now, at a certain level in banking if you are not a member of CIBN you are only cheating yourself.

Again, most contract staff are OND and HND holders, some join banking between the ages of 26 & 28, they start earning and forget about upgrading and the ones who remember to upgrade academically, start at age 30 - 35. The question I'm tempted to ask is, does the person want to be a GM at 70?

How about those who have first degree and fall within the right age bracket, you may want to know. I say to those ones, port! The maximum anyone should spend in a position in banking is 3 years. If you find yourself stagnant where you are, develop yourself and move. Look around you, ask most senior management staff who have over 10 years industry experience about their career and at least 80% of them will tell you they've worked in at least 3-5 banks before they got to where they now are. Be wise too, help yourself. Your career is in your hands.

A lot of contract staff make this mistake until they become unemployable and the system is forced to remove and replace them. I can say it isn't fair but they many times put themselves in the position to be exploited.

I know a handful of guys who from contract staff got converted to professional staff. I've heard of many others who sadly, were asked to leave. Don't let it get to you, like someone told me recently, 'if you know what you're doing in banking, when you leave banking, you should know where the money is in the economy'.

In other words, you've been exposed to businesses and business owners, you should be able to tell your next direction of focus after you've shaken off the 'cruelty' of a system you were loyal to.

Now that you're here, what next?
Soldier come, Soldier go, barrack remain.

Wish First bank well and leave. After five years, if you channel your energy right, they'll come market you cheesy

Age discrimination at its highest
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by Juliette05(f): 8:23am On Sep 09, 2017
amicable09:
Hi OP, I understand your plight perfectly well and I wish to sympathize with you based on what you or others may be going through at this time.

Contract staffing is very much recognized and advised in banking and it is supported by Central Bank. It's not a practice that started today though, it's an age old practice. In every banking hall, there MUST be a certain number of people who are to be employed as contract staff and another fraction who must be core staff and the roles these different sets of people play is well defined by the regulatory body.

Whether good or bad, depends on the organization where you find yourself. I don't want to talk about how they are treated or how they are disengaged, I however want to talk about what I've observed in some.

You know about age requirement in banking and you know that CBN has an approved age a staff can be at a level. For instance, I see some 30 year olds as Executive Trainees in a bank either as a core staff or as a contract staff, I find this totally worrisome! And it's not like it isn't obvious to these people, they think it's okay to be at that level at that age and make excuses for their banks saying "promotion window has been shut for sometime now". If the window is shut, did they also shut the doors? CBN frowns at having bankers who are trying to make the profession look like a joke. In fact, right now, at a certain level in banking if you are not a member of CIBN you are only cheating yourself.

Again, most contract staff are OND and HND holders, some join banking between the ages of 26 & 28, they start earning and forget about upgrading and the ones who remember to upgrade academically, start at age 30 - 35. The question I'm tempted to ask is, does the person want to be a GM at 70?

How about those who have first degree and fall within the right age bracket, you may want to know. I say to those ones, port! The maximum anyone should spend in a position in banking is 3 years. If you find yourself stagnant where you are, develop yourself and move. Look around you, ask most senior management staff who have over 10 years industry experience about their career and at least 80% of them will tell you they've worked in at least 3-5 banks before they got to where they now are. Be wise too, help yourself. Your career is in your hands.

A lot of contract staff make this mistake until they become unemployable and the system is forced to remove and replace them. I can say it isn't fair but they many times put themselves in the position to be exploited.

I know a handful of guys who from contract staff got converted to professional staff. I've heard of many others who sadly, were asked to leave. Don't let it get to you, like someone told me recently, 'if you know what you're doing in banking, when you leave banking, you should know where the money is in the economy'.

In other words, you've been exposed to businesses and business owners, you should be able to tell your next direction of focus after you've shaken off the 'cruelty' of a system you were loyal to.

Now that you're here, what next?
Soldier come, Soldier go, barrack remain.

Wish First bank well and leave. After five years, if you channel your energy right, they'll come market you cheesy
the way you are quoting CBN eh?

2 Likes

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by femi4: 8:30am On Sep 09, 2017
rossyc:
That's bank job for you, enjoy it and save or invest whatever you get while it Last, no job security at all. This contract issue is becoming a norm in this country, unfortunately the government is not ready to address the issue.. May God help us.
you can't even save. Its no longer lucrative
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by obicentlis: 8:35am On Sep 09, 2017
kennygee:
I got a job with Whytcleon under Sterling bank. I did the job for two weeks while I was on my annual leave with the job I had then, mehn, I ran away when I discovered what it was to be a Contract staff.

When there's an opening in the bank, say a Trainees position, you can't apply as a contract staff since you're already on the bank's par roll, so your mates are earning three or four times what you're earning and are more valued even as newbies than you who has worked with them for years because you're a contract staff.

Promotion is gradual or almost impossible, work time is not different o, you go work like baboon for 60-70k salary, I know people who well popcorn on the street with their popcorn machine who earn more.

When my annual leave ended, I ran back to the job I wanted to leave for Whytecleone, I was a Queen there.

Signature: If you send me PMs, expect to hear of the love and gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Like

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by Klimaths: 8:35am On Sep 09, 2017
mayorchelsea:
Maybe the meaning of contract staff needs to be defined again.Every contract staff knew what he/she was getting into as regards job security before taking up the offer.In Nigeria,many a times we accept jobs due to frustration and fear of the unknown or tomorrow and when reality sets in,we begin to complain as if we were never aware of these things.
please you really don't have to say that OK, maybe you think you can opt out for business after graduation but were are the capital to start up business . if it does not affect you it will affect you siblings and friends or relatives.
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 09, 2017
obicentlis:

Signature: If you send me PMs, expect to hear of the love and gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Yep.
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by obicentlis: 8:38am On Sep 09, 2017
kennygee:

Yep.
This started my day. I laughed till I fell from my bed.
BTW, you are beautiful.
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by fkj950ax(m): 8:43am On Sep 09, 2017
kennygee:
I got a job with Whytcleon under Sterling bank. I did the job for two weeks while I was on my annual leave with the job I had then, mehn, I ran away when I discovered what it was to be a Contract staff.

You were gainfully employed with an organisation and took up employment with another during your annual leave.

This is no different from the complaint by the Op, just that it is the employee.

Op and others

Contract staffing is contract staffing. You can't expect the terms of full employment. Everyone is busy sending CV and going for interviews on the time of the employer, but don't want the employer to take decisions that favours it.

Well I don't know the ToE by FBN and/or Whyt..., But I am sure there's a little clause in there that legally backs the termination.

You didn't tell us if the sacked person met the targets he/she signed to meet.
We don't know if the referees were inadequate and new ones weren't provided.
We don't know if the certificate verification came back negative.

All you have painted is the employees side of the story.
Let's hear from the employer.

Also, dragging FBN into the matter is funny, because FBN did not employ the person. Whyte.... did.

Do you give your car to a mechanic and arrest his apprentice when he knocks your engine?

I own 2 companies, and must say employees in this part of the world are funny. I was once a employee also.
A staff who got an official car, but can't drive handed over the company car to his sister who was using it until we found out.

Contract staffing have timeframe, was it due and not renewed?

30-35 years sacking means the person has been there 7 or 8 years...or 5years at the least if he graduated 29...

1 Like

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by daneni1(m): 8:45am On Sep 09, 2017
I thought dey said we are out of recession, y is 1st bank laying off staffs wen in actual fact, recession is one of d major reason companies lay off staffs massively.
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by Nobody: 8:46am On Sep 09, 2017
obicentlis:

This started my day. I laughed till I fell from my bed.
BTW, you are beautiful.

Thank you.
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by pokipoki: 8:55am On Sep 09, 2017
kennygee:

They work till late. They don't have time to go to school. Even on weekends, they are either on one compulsory training or on ATM duty.
That's not 100% correct. Granted, the job is always stressful but have you ever heard of "If there is a will there is always a way". The smart ones obtain degrees and other qualification and move on. The whole idea is to have a game plan!!!

1 Like

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by bobosydney: 9:01am On Sep 09, 2017
What many people don't understand this is 2017 and not in 60s. The Bank jobs now doesn't require so many ma power because Technology already available to do it. I live in Australia and many branch banks only have 3 or 4 people only work in a bank. Because people withdraw and deposit at the atm. You don't need to go bank to get a card or renew , you do it online and they post it 2 you in 5 working days.
My advice is that if you are working in a Bank at this moment, please try to save some money to start a business because you will be out of job soon.

4 Likes

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by verygudbadguy(m): 9:10am On Sep 09, 2017
amicable09:

cheesy
Good one. You are one of the sensible ladies we have in the house. I am just surprised that I am seeing your moniker for the first time.

OP, she has said it all about contract staffing. The job is meant to be temporary but inability to secure a better deal keeps/kept a lot of people for 10 years and above. The experience is worthwhile though, for some that finally got the desired breakthrough.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by dingbang(m): 9:13am On Sep 09, 2017
Shitt happens...
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by ipobarecriminals: 9:19am On Sep 09, 2017
Klimaths:
Hello, fellow nairalander please who can help stop this wickedness of first bank and whtycleon with their indiscriminate way of sacking contract staff for no reasons they will just send you a text messages that your services are no longer needed. Not because you commit fraud or any other issues on the job , all they do is to send you a text message and disengage you .

Those that have been sacked have additional qualification and upgraded their results , so there is no reasons at all for the massive sacking. Imagine they will employ you when you still useful and able to apply for other jobs and sack you when your age have past the employment age of virtually all company that will require your services.

Sacking by 33 year, to 35yrs. Who will employ you. After all the scarifies in the job. They just sack you with no benefit of any kind. Please who can help stop this wickedness contract staff are like slaves to them, use you and dump you.

Please my advice to those seeking for contract job in first bank please think twice because the same fate awaits you. Pleased can the mod take this to the front page. Please the lawyers in the house can help enlighten if all legal action can be taken against them. Thanks
FBN dnt sack their contract staff anyhow except marketers.Most of those people dnt do anything just to waka up/down aimlessly .point out how many note counter/tellers dey sack.
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by maami1: 9:20am On Sep 09, 2017
I think there should be payoff for these people , they should be paid like first bank core staff that were layoff . I learnt that Whytecleon acquired in sourcing but they were not paid off that time. Since Whytecleon had acquired insourci g they are liable to pay.This is corruption.
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by amicable09(f): 9:24am On Sep 09, 2017
kennygee:

If you have the desire, nothing will be impossible for you!

That's all I can say.

1 Like

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by amicable09(f): 9:28am On Sep 09, 2017
Juliette05:
the way you are quoting CBN eh?
It's banking we are talking about here. If I don't quote CBN, who then should I quote?

Juliette
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by higgs: 9:28am On Sep 09, 2017
The whole idea of job security is a fallacy today.Everyone must prepare for the rainy day.However, Banks must learn to be loyal to their staff.If the staff,whether contract or core,discover that the organisation does not value them and can sack them any time,they can resort to fraudulent self help.

1 Like

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by amicable09(f): 9:34am On Sep 09, 2017
YommyukGB:

Age discrimination at its highest
Not at all. The earlier the better, so as to beat retirement age.
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by donqx: 9:35am On Sep 09, 2017
oh
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by Tunagee(m): 9:36am On Sep 09, 2017
Klimaths:

Please my advice to those seeking for contract job in first bank please think twice because the same fate awaits you. Please can the mod take this to the front page. Please the lawyers in the house can help enlighten if any legal action can be taken against them. Thanks

This does not only happen to contracts, it also affects permanent ones. MTN in April 2017 suddenly decides to give her permanent staffs exit opportunity. In other words, resign and be paid off peanuts, even after working for 13 years. They did this to frustrate those staffs that have stayed long in the business,but remained on one spot for years with accumulated salary increase in spite of all additional qualifications they must have acquired. The management believed most of them were already too old for their level, level 2
at age between 35 to 45 upwards. (MTN with their poor and exploitative career path do not promote automatically, u have to keep applying to move ahead in the midst of very strong politics for several years of which u become old and stagnant on one spot after which they flush u out on age basis)

The management decided to bring in fresh and very young graduates to fit into their spaces which explained the massive recruitment being done recently in the last 3 to 2 months. The best thing is to be creative and look for businesses one can do instead of this ''yes sir'' ''yes sir'' to slave drivers.

1 Like

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by eluquenson(m): 9:37am On Sep 09, 2017
Nigeria has no labour law,how on Earth will a company just disengage staff without prior notice now tangible reasons.

It is well with us in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by stiggymode(m): 9:43am On Sep 09, 2017
Nigeria is one disorganised entity. i feel sad reading topics like this. It makes me feel as if our leaders and policy makers are worthless!!!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

7 Easy-to-learn Skills You Can Use To Work From Home / Meet Hafsah Dauda Visually Impaired Lady Who Against All Odds Was Called To Bar / Is 60k Monthly Ok At My Age ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.