Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,352 members, 7,800,703 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:15 AM

I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai (26612 Views)

Mohammed Nasiru Sani Is Winners Chapel Suicide Bomber's Name, Not Nathaniel- FFK / Moment Nasiru Gawuna Was Taken By Police For Disrupting Collation Of Results / What Happens To Your State If Oil Dries Up Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by sarrki(m): 5:25am On Sep 10, 2017
• Kaduna Gov at Ibadan lecture says ‘free money’
hinders Nigeria’s ability to think, innovate
• Seeks state policing

Governor Nasir el-Rufai of Kaduna State believes the oil wealth accruing to the country constitutes a major obstacle to Nigeria’s ability to think and innovate its way out of underdevelopment.

He wishes the oil wells and the ‘free money’ there from dry up so that the government and the people can get serious about making the country realize its full potentials.

el-Rufai spoke yesterday in Ibadan at the 2017 Town Hall Meeting/ Founder’s Day Celebration in memory of renowned economist, Professor Ojetunji Aboyade.

He also made a fresh case for state policing, and warned against allowing the federal character policy become an enemy of merit in appointments.

The governor who was the special guest of honour at the event said: “Because Nigeria gets easy money from oil, the nation has lost its thinking initiative on how to develop other sources of revenue and diversify the economy.

“We get easy money, we do not collect taxes and our taxes are six per cent of Gross Domestic Product; that is an average of 21per cent. We stop respecting the intellectuals that we have in our universities because we get easy money.

“This is very sad, I wish the oil will dry up so that we can begin to use our brains because we have stopped using our brains and we have stopped respecting intellects because of easy money.

On policing, he said: “It is obvious that Nigeria is severely under-policed, and will require more personnel, intelligence assets, better training, technology and equipment for its security agencies for the country to be a credible guarantor of security.

“Even if these were to be available, it is also debatable whether a single centralised policing system, structure and staffing for 200 million citizens is viable in a diverse, multi-lingual, multi-cultural and multi-ethnic nation like Nigeria.”

He also addressed the issue of federal character, saying: “To complement the pursuit of the Sustainable Development Goals, we must have discourse around the imperative of a project dedicated to enabling equal opportunity so that the circumstances of a citizen’s birth don’t prescribe his or her ceiling in life.

“How can we promote a national subscription to meritocracy? How can we ensure that the imperative of reflecting federal character does not become the enemy of merit and quality of appointments? Today, we don’t plan. We don’t have national plan and if we don’t plan, we are planning to fail.

“Having suffered brain drain, how do we attract back our Diaspora and the brain-gain associated with it like the Chinese and Indians have witnessed? These are the questions a distributive mentality around easy oil revenues is dodging.

“The earlier the oil dries up the better for our national ability to think, be innovative and respect intellect and academic achievement.

el-Rufai spoke on “Public Policy research should promote national consensus.”

In his presentation, the lead speaker, Professor Sam Olofin, explained that indeed the country is technically out of recession but that it requires sustained efforts for an economy to be progressive.

He noted that many Nigerians are confusing the country’s underdevelopment with recession adding that with the reversal of the growing negative rate of the economy, the country is technically out of recession but that the positive growth must also be sustained and continuous so that it would rub on the overall economy.

He stressed that if Nigeria doesn’t diversify its dependence on oil early enough, the country will remain an underdeveloped economy for a long time.

Chairman of the occasion, Professor Oladipupo Akinkugbe, said Nigeria keeps chasing potential but that the country will have to get there fast and as early as possible.

He lamented that many of the excellent ideas churned out by many research institutes are often allowed to gather dust. He said that if some of the ideas and recommendations made by many researchers over the years had been implemented, the country would not be where it is today.

The event which had the theme “Achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals in Nigeria,” was organised by the Development Policy Centre, Ibadan.

http://thenationonlineng.net/pray-nigeria-oil-dries-says-el-rufai/

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by Zeze06(m): 5:26am On Sep 10, 2017
cry
Prayer of a heartless and wicked "dwarf" witch...

208 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by sarrki(m): 5:27am On Sep 10, 2017
When generation fro your axis have milked and still milking it

When you yourself have been a beneficiary

People like you makes me believe what some people say about your type up North

97 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by Firefire(m): 5:31am On Sep 10, 2017
Okay ooo
Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by purityval(m): 5:31am On Sep 10, 2017
Keep praying oga,
Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by mazimee(m): 5:39am On Sep 10, 2017
After enjoying the Oil money and building empires from it you want it to dry up? The oil in your brain will dry up.

151 Likes 9 Shares

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by DonVikings: 5:41am On Sep 10, 2017
I pray so too. It is only when that happens that we would know who the real parasites with barren lands are. grin

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by Headlaw(m): 5:47am On Sep 10, 2017
This is just the bitter truth. I'm living in the oil city of Port Harcourt. I have seen deeply into the oil sector, what is solely keeping all of us here in Port Harcourt is oil. Take away oil and Nigeria economy will collapse. Nigerians are lacking in creativity thinking. I'm looking forward in having my family abroad because the future of this country is heading to the rock. People that are seeing the future has started planning.

111 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by ipobarecriminals: 5:51am On Sep 10, 2017
sad.We are in dis together.But com again,if the oil well dries,dis one nor consign the midget. thief/fellow THIEVES.Dey don loot/looted. enuf to last their unborn generation. God bless Nigl

6 Likes

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by chakula: 5:58am On Sep 10, 2017
Things are not normal in that man's brain. He needs a doctor to examine his mental faculty.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by iamchily: 6:00am On Sep 10, 2017
prayer of the dishearten and saddest.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by nwakibe: 6:00am On Sep 10, 2017
Make the thing dry up o. It's only when the oil dry up that you hear them saying Biafrans should go. It's that oil that's is still keeping us as one Nigeria. Quote me and see what I will do to you.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by ipobarecriminals: 6:03am On Sep 10, 2017
sad smiley grin lipsrsealed cheesy grin cheesy wink grin cool cool
DonVikings:
I pray so too. It is only when that happens that we would know who the real parasites with barren lands are. grin
shocked
DonVikings:
potopoto republic.I last chop their bread in the 80s.I mean their brown. abi yellow bread that hard like concrete cement.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by ZombieTAMER: 6:12am On Sep 10, 2017
It sounds like a prayer of a parasite

Why wasn't this oil found in the North ya Allah sad

8 Likes

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by Bari22: 6:23am On Sep 10, 2017
ameen sir, so that land grabbers will manage their 5 erosion ravaged oil less States

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by madenigga(m): 6:24am On Sep 10, 2017
Which one is u pray oil dries up?

If the oil is disturbing you, why dont you push for true federalism nd resource control so that the states who hv oil wud mk use of it since its affecting you.

Ita affecting you yet you dont want to stop collecting money made from it?

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by EmekaBlue(m): 6:26am On Sep 10, 2017
Just negodu. Only if prayers really works like we want. I for pray for all ur money to dry up. These idiots have over embezzled from this same oil money thats not even near their IDP camp dry land and is even tired of it...Chai.
From one top position to another.

Anuofia midget

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by Cyynthia(f): 6:32am On Sep 10, 2017
Just look at what this fool is saying.

11 Likes

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by Evablizin(f): 6:37am On Sep 10, 2017
sad

A pray of a man suffering from sad syndrome

5 Likes

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by PureMe01: 6:37am On Sep 10, 2017
I wonder if he would have said so if d NORTH was
the goose laying the golden egg...but for d fact dat
it's NIGER DELTA,d midget who has never hidden
his grievous detest for SS/SE could wish anything
against this region,such a bigot worse than
Buhari.by d way his caption should have been "I
Pray Niger Delta Oil Dries Up"
Aisha Alhassan has exposed his dirty ass in his
involvement in d Chibok girls' kidnapping scam,
what a man!
After d exposure of Alhassan abt him,Am i d only
one who is now certain dat elrufai sponsored the
"quick notice" stance of d deluded Arewa Youths
against d igbos yet was d first to run to d media to
castigate d act and ordering d security agencies to
apprehend the so called youths he sponsored just
to play "mr.Novice" as d situation unfolds.dats d
calibre of a man we are dealing with,a backstabber
and mischief maker.
He has secured his future and dat of his children
and now wishes d oil which doesn't belong to him or
his cursed region dries up.
Coming from a man who doesn't want restructuring but wants d Niger Delta Oil to dry up.who is deceiving whoGod is watching.
...there was a country

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by Saammiee(m): 6:55am On Sep 10, 2017
everyone is entitled to his or her opinion no natter how stupid or dumb they nay sound...

4 Likes

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by MrHenshaw: 6:56am On Sep 10, 2017
sarrki:
Fac Tw Go Pint Lin Wh
• Kaduna Gov at Ibadan lecture says ‘free money’
hinders Nigeria’s ability to think, innovate
• Seeks state policing

Governor Nasir el-Rufai of Kaduna State believes the oil wealth accruing to the country constitutes a major obstacle to Nigeria’s ability to think and innovate its way out of underdevelopment.

He wishes the oil wells and the ‘free money’ there from dry up so that the government and the people can get serious about making the country realize its full potentials.

el-Rufai spoke yesterday in Ibadan at the 2017 Town Hall Meeting/ Founder’s Day Celebration in memory of renowned economist, Professor Ojetunji Aboyade.

He also made a fresh case for state policing, and warned against allowing the federal character policy become an enemy of merit in appointments.

The governor who was the special guest of honour at the event said: “Because Nigeria gets easy money from oil, the nation has lost its thinking initiative on how to develop other sources of revenue and diversify the economy.

“We get easy money, we do not collect taxes and our taxes are six per cent of Gross Domestic Product; that is an average of 21per cent. We stop respecting the intellectuals that we have in our universities because we get easy money.

“This is very sad, I wish the oil will dry up so that we can begin to use our brains because we have stopped using our brains and we have stopped respecting intellects because of easy money.

On policing, he said: “It is obvious that Nigeria is severely under-policed, and will require more personnel, intelligence assets, better training, technology and equipment for its security agencies for the country to be a credible guarantor of security.

“Even if these were to be available, it is also debatable whether a single centralised policing system, structure and staffing for 200 million citizens is viable in a diverse, multi-lingual, multi-cultural and multi-ethnic nation like Nigeria.”

He also addressed the issue of federal character, saying: “To complement the pursuit of the Sustainable Development Goals, we must have discourse around the imperative of a project dedicated to enabling equal opportunity so that the circumstances of a citizen’s birth don’t prescribe his or her ceiling in life.

“How can we promote a national subscription to meritocracy? How can we ensure that the imperative of reflecting federal character does not become the enemy of merit and quality of appointments? Today, we don’t plan. We don’t have national plan and if we don’t plan, we are planning to fail.

“Having suffered brain drain, how do we attract back our Diaspora and the brain-gain associated with it like the Chinese and Indians have witnessed? These are the questions a distributive mentality around easy oil revenues is dodging.

“The earlier the oil dries up the better for our national ability to think, be innovative and respect intellect and academic achievement.

el-Rufai spoke on “Public Policy research should promote national consensus.”

In his presentation, the lead speaker, Professor Sam Olofin, explained that indeed the country is technically out of recession but that it requires sustained efforts for an economy to be progressive.

He noted that many Nigerians are confusing the country’s underdevelopment with recession adding that with the reversal of the growing negative rate of the economy, the country is technically out of recession but that the positive growth must also be sustained and continuous so that it would rub on the overall economy.

He stressed that if Nigeria doesn’t diversify its dependence on oil early enough, the country will remain an underdeveloped economy for a long time.

Chairman of the occasion, Professor Oladipupo Akinkugbe, said Nigeria keeps chasing potential but that the country will have to get there fast and as early as possible.

He lamented that many of the excellent ideas churned out by many research institutes are often allowed to gather dust. He said that if some of the ideas and recommendations made by many researchers over the years had been implemented, the country would not be where it is today.

The event which had the theme “Achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals in Nigeria,” was organised by the Development Policy Centre, Ibadan.

http://thenationonlineng.net/pray-nigeria-oil-dries-says-el-rufai/

No need to pray,God knows how to settle the abandoned.Nigeria politicians are most unreliable.

1 Like

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by Saammiee(m): 7:31am On Sep 10, 2017
everyone is entitled to his or her opinion no matter how stupid or dumb they may sound...

1 Like

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by Nutase: 7:38am On Sep 10, 2017
Zeze06:
cry
Prayer of a heartless and wicked "dwarf" witch...
he hehehe grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by ajepako(f): 7:38am On Sep 10, 2017
Every utterance of this man shows his bigotry, bias and hypocrisy

After feeding fat on the oil wealth of the south, silently encouraging Fulani herdsmen to kill and maim them in the north, now you want their oil to dry...

I wonder what this bigot would have said if oil comes from the north..

Elenu rirun, elete pelebe...

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by otitokoroleti: 7:42am On Sep 10, 2017
sarrki:
When generation fro your axis have milked and still milking it

When you yourself have been a beneficiary

People like you makes me believe what some people say about your type up North

Good afternoon my Yoruba muslim brother

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by otitokoroleti: 7:45am On Sep 10, 2017
Hellrufai the idiot dwarf descendant of parasite have spoken!
Thats why I don't believe in One Nigeria nonsense!
If the oil dries up today, SW will still flourish while starvation will end existence of these parasites we have up N O R T H
#osi pelebe

7 Likes

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by madridguy(m): 8:17am On Sep 10, 2017
Useless talk from heartless midget.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by Kazim88: 8:31am On Sep 10, 2017
El Rufai is just being Brutally honest.

Nigeria is obviously suffering from "Dutch Disease "

Ironically, If Nigeria divide the part without Oil would develop 3x faster than those that have plans.

Only someone with a deep understanding would see through of our oil curse.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by Stingman: 8:37am On Sep 10, 2017
Bari22:
ameen sir, so that land grabbers will manage their 5 erosion ravaged oil less States

Demon

5 Likes

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by omohayek: 9:00am On Sep 10, 2017
Kazim88:
El Rufai is just being Brutally honest.

Nigeria is obviously suffering from "Dutch Disease "

Ironically, If Nigeria divide the part without Oil would develop 3x faster than those that have plans.

Only someone with a deep understanding would see through of our oil curse.
Yours is the first sensible comment on this thread! The unanimous condemnation in all the others only goes to show that El-Rufai was telling the truth: Nigerians have become so addicted to (and dependent on) "free" oil money that they can't even conceive of another way of life other than scrambling by any and every means to maximize their share of the fixed "national cake" derived from oil rents. How much oil, gas, gold or other mineral resources do the likes of Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Switzerland or Austria have? Can anyone say they are worse off than resource rich countries like Congo, Nigeria or even South Africa?

The parasitical mindset which oil money has bred in Nigerians is at the root of so many of the country's problems, but the allure of eating without working is so strong that most Nigerians can't even see the problem.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai by Omeokachie: 9:07am On Sep 10, 2017
Nasir, why do you always lie to yourself?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North / Nigeria Declines Germany’s Offer To Train Policemen / Those Accusing Govs Of Silence Over Insecurity, ASUU Strike Not Fair: El Rufai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.