Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,154 members, 7,807,517 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick (5348 Views)

Power Bank Capacity. Do I Need To Worry? / 10 Phones With 5000mah Battery Capacity In Nigeria (november 2018) / 10 Phones With 5000mah Battery Capacity In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by Trendy247: 9:27am On Sep 10, 2017
You have an original real capacity 10,000 mAh power bank, and that should charge your 1500mah phone about 6 times, right? Well, here is where the confusion begins.
What the advertised capacity actually tells you.
The rated capacity is what is actually inside the powerbank, the physical battery.

Inside a 10,000 mAh power bank.

This powerbank has 4 3.7V 2,500mAh batteries, together that equals 10,000mAh and this is correct.
But USB is 5V!
Inside powerbanks are 3.7V batteries, but the USB standard is 5V. Between the battery and the USB socket is a conversion circuit and this changes the 3.7 V into USB friendly 5V. When converting into a higher voltage, you must also convert the mAh into the new voltage.

How to calculate theoretical USB output capacity

A simple equation can be used to convert the 3.7V into 5V.
ACTUAL 5V mAh = 3.7 X Advertised Capacity /5

For a 10,000mAh powerbank – 3.7 X 10,000 / 5
= 7,400mAh
So a 3.7V 10,000 mAh powerbank really only supplies 7,400 mAh at the 5V USB connection. So straight out of the box is a 23% reduction in the stated mAh. This is not the actual experienced level as there is also conversion loss.

What is conversion loss?

As you use your powerbank the circuit inside that converts 3.7V to 5V USB uses some energy and also creates heat. During this conversion, you lose some extra mAh. There is a wide range in conversion efficiency and most brands don’t state the losses, Xiaomi has prized themselves on their conversion efficiency chips which are up to 98% efficient, meaning you only loose 2% off your battery power in the conversion. Some others can consume as much as 10% during conversion.

Why don’t they just state the actual output?

They don’t need to as technically that is what’s inside the box and most people have no idea. By not giving the actual 5V output brands can reap these benefits;
>Manufacturers can have a higher number of mAh for their powerbank and sound more powerful.
>It avoids the talk or testing of conversion loss and brands with low efficiency conversion chips can still market them in the same league as other efficient brands.

Some manufacturers will state in the manual or in small print on the device but most will not state anything other than the 3.7V mAh. As a general rule I would recommend taking 25% – 30% off the advertised capacity straight away and then you have a more realistic indication of performance.

This power bank actually states both capacities, you wouldn’t notice it though unless you are one of the people who actually read product labels.

This one has 16,000 mAh but only has 10,200mAh at 5.1V.
It is a very gray area and not common knowledge but I hope this has shed a bit of light on how powerbanks are advertised and busted the classic assumption that dividing the rated capacity by your phone battery capacity is an accurate measurement of actual number of recharges, in reality, it is far from it.
You are now a powerbank expert and next time you are on the prowl for a new one, you'll act as one.
http://obototo..com/2017/09/power-bank-capacity-secret-marketing.html?m=1

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by mhisTessy: 9:52am On Sep 10, 2017
I always laugh wen I see a tiny power bank with 30000MAh written on it... Nice one OP
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by AJohnnasa(m): 10:14am On Sep 10, 2017
This is quality information.
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by gidimasters(m): 10:55am On Sep 10, 2017
Buy Romoss Sense 4P 10000mah Power Bank here... Contact on siggy grin
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by Elvin001: 11:23am On Sep 10, 2017
This is an eye opener... Thanks Mr OP
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by Nobody: 11:34am On Sep 10, 2017
gidimasters:
Buy Romoss Sense 4P 10000mah Power Bank here... Contact on siggy grin
I've got an original Romoss sense 4p 10400 mAh. It can only charge my Redmi Note 4 once from 0 to 100 percent, and from 0 to 67 the next.

This means that its actual capacity is still within 7400mAh as stated by the OP

5 Likes

Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by Trendy247: 11:56am On Sep 10, 2017
Elvin001:
This is an eye opener... Thanks Mr OP
Wlc man
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by pat077: 2:04pm On Sep 10, 2017
Nice info
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by Mikaelson21(m): 3:03pm On Sep 10, 2017
My remax 10400 mah power bank I bought since 2015, is still serving me efficiently till today...
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by Techpaded(f): 3:35pm On Sep 10, 2017
nice info
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by samsard(m): 5:15pm On Sep 10, 2017
Enlightening
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by ademasta(m): 5:43pm On Sep 10, 2017
You are right
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by ddjay: 6:14pm On Sep 10, 2017
U r right Op,another simple language that is "very well" understood is "charge circle" so if u av a 10,000 mah, d next thing is, how many circles (0%-100%) of charge can be achieved, eg 4 circles,5 or even less.
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by Trendy247: 7:22am On Sep 11, 2017
Mikaelson21:
My remax 10400 mah power bank I bought since 2015, is still serving me efficiently till today...
Gud 4u
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by WeNoGoDie(m): 7:59am On Sep 11, 2017
Nice info. But where can I get an original Xiaomi power bank with that is 98% efficient. I don't trust anything on aliexpress.
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by mhisTessy: 8:16am On Sep 11, 2017
WeNoGoDie:
Nice info. But where can I get an original Xiaomi power bank with that is 98% efficient. I don't trust anything on aliexpress.
Hav u tried eBay?
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by WeNoGoDie(m): 8:32am On Sep 11, 2017
mhisTessy:

Hav u tried eBay?

That should have been a good alternative except that there's also many dubious Chinese folks also selling their fake items there.
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by WeNoGoDie(m): 8:40am On Sep 11, 2017
@Op Trendy247. Please why doesn't this 25% to 30% conversion loss also affect the mobile phone batteries themselves. Seems to be limited to powerbank batteries only.

For instance brand new infinix phone with 4000mah battery will give you full 4000mah output in usage.

They're both batteries. Lithium ion/polymer.

1 Like

Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by Trendy247: 8:51am On Sep 11, 2017
WeNoGoDie:
@Op Trendy247. Please why doesn't this 25% to 30% conversion loss also affect the mobile phone batteries themselves. Seems to be limited to powerbank batteries only.

For instance brand new infinix phone with 4000mah battery will give you full 4000mah output in usage.

They're both batteries. Lithium ion/polymer.
There is no conversion circuit for smartphone batteries because the output is already 5V, unlike power bank batteries whose output is 3.7v...

Converting this 3.7v to 5v so it'll be able to power your smartphone is where the conversion loss comes in

1 Like

Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by WeNoGoDie(m): 9:01am On Sep 11, 2017
Trendy247:

There is no conversion circuit for smartphone batteries because the output is already 5V, unlike power bank batteries whose output is 3.7v...

Converting this 3.7v to 5v so it'll be able to power your smartphone is where the conversion loss comes in

Smart reply, straight to the point. But if its possible to make mobile phones with 5V, is it not possible to make powerbanks with 5V too so they won't need conversion circuit.

I mean some smartphones double up as powerbanks with OTG reverse charging if I'm correct.
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by cyborg123(m): 9:39am On Sep 11, 2017
WeNoGoDie:

Smart reply, straight to the point. But if its possible to make mobile phones with 5V, is it not possible to make powerbanks with 5V too so they won't need conversion circuit.

I mean some smartphones double up as powerbanks with OTG reverse charging if I'm correct.
3.7V is the standard for lithium polymer battery cells. That's why obtaining exact 5V is difficult. Only multiples of 3.7 can be obtained by connecting 2 or more cells in series.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by cyborg123(m): 9:44am On Sep 11, 2017
Ideally, power/current ratings should be at the rated output voltage of a system. What the manufacturers are doing is borderline fraud since 3.7V is not an output voltage from the power bank.

1 Like

Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by obidevine(m): 9:28am On Sep 26, 2017
Trendy247:
You have an original real capacity 10,000 mAh power bank, and that should charge your 1500mah phone about 6 times, right? Well, here is where the confusion begins.
What the advertised capacity actually tells you.
The rated capacity is what is actually inside the powerbank, the physical battery.

Inside a 10,000 mAh power bank.

This powerbank has 4 3.7V 2,500mAh batteries, together that equals 10,000mAh and this is correct.
But USB is 5V!
Inside powerbanks are 3.7V batteries, but the USB standard is 5V. Between the battery and the USB socket is a conversion circuit and this changes the 3.7 V into USB friendly 5V. When converting into a higher voltage, you must also convert the mAh into the new voltage.

How to calculate theoretical USB output capacity

A simple equation can be used to convert the 3.7V into 5V.
ACTUAL 5V mAh = 3.7 X Advertised Capacity /5

For a 10,000mAh powerbank – 3.7 X 10,000 / 5
= 7,400mAh
So a 3.7V 10,000 mAh powerbank really only supplies 7,400 mAh at the 5V USB connection. So straight out of the box is a 23% reduction in the stated mAh. This is not the actual experienced level as there is also conversion loss.

What is conversion loss?

As you use your powerbank the circuit inside that converts 3.7V to 5V USB uses some energy and also creates heat. During this conversion, you lose some extra mAh. There is a wide range in conversion efficiency and most brands don’t state the losses, Xiaomi has prized themselves on their conversion efficiency chips which are up to 98% efficient, meaning you only loose 2% off your battery power in the conversion. Some others can consume as much as 10% during conversion.

Why don’t they just state the actual output?

They don’t need to as technically that is what’s inside the box and most people have no idea. By not giving the actual 5V output brands can reap these benefits;
>Manufacturers can have a higher number of mAh for their powerbank and sound more powerful.
>It avoids the talk or testing of conversion loss and brands with low efficiency conversion chips can still market them in the same league as other efficient brands.

Some manufacturers will state in the manual or in small print on the device but most will not state anything other than the 3.7V mAh. As a general rule I would recommend taking 25% – 30% off the advertised capacity straight away and then you have a more realistic indication of performance.

This power bank actually states both capacities, you wouldn’t notice it though unless you are one of the people who actually read product labels.

This one has 16,000 mAh but only has 10,200mAh at 5.1V.
It is a very gray area and not common knowledge but I hope this has shed a bit of light on how powerbanks are advertised and busted the classic assumption that dividing the rated capacity by your phone battery capacity is an accurate measurement of actual number of recharges, in reality, it is far from it.
You are now a powerbank expert and next time you are on the prowl for a new one, you'll act as one.
http://obototo..com/2017/09/power-bank-capacity-secret-marketing.html?m=1

Very informative
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by sfinkzslot(m): 8:17pm On Sep 27, 2017
sfinkzslot:
this OP is brained
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by Trendy247: 2:45pm On Sep 28, 2017
Tnx bro
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by teewhydope(m): 11:20am On Dec 26, 2019
cc lalasticlala
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by Timileyin1234(m): 11:57am On Dec 26, 2019
teewhydope:
cc lalasticlala
What is lala here. Thread of 2017
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by officialfestus(m): 11:53am On May 02, 2020
Nice info
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by sacredsaint(m): 3:17pm On May 02, 2020
Not bad
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by Geofavor(m): 6:13am On Jun 06, 2020
Seems Nice and accurate, unless proven otherwise.....

Lalasticlala.
Re: POWER BANK CAPACITY - The Secret Marketing Trick by Darthvader93: 4:00pm On Jun 06, 2020
Geofavor:
Seems Nice and accurate, unless proven otherwise.....

Lalasticlala.

No be snake na.

Or it's not about Itel phone. No mod will push it to fp. If them push am, I no naked baff for bathroom.

(1) (Reply)

Iphone Deals At Cheap Prices. Full Accessories And Warranty Too / Pls Advice On Which To Buy Btw Tecno D5 And L3 / Do You Prefer Dual Front Camera?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.