Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,327 members, 7,808,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:14 AM

Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards (944 Views)

Righteousness Exalts A Nation: One Thing Nigeria Could Learn From A Cat (Photo) / Pastor Adeboye: "God Created Adam And Eve, Not Adam And Steve" / Frank Edwards With Pastor Chris Oyakhilome (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 6:18pm On Sep 10, 2017
Flee from youthful passions. Instead, pursue righteousness…

(2 Tim 2:22)

When Paul tells Timothy to ‘pursue righteousness’ what does he mean?

He can’t be telling him to get his ‘own’ righteousness. He can’t be telling him that his own efforts will ‘add to’ his righteousness. Paul believed that the righteousness he had recieved from God was a ‘gift.’

Not having a righteousness of my own that comes from obeying the law, but…a righteousness that comes from God!

(Philippians 3:9)

and

…how much more will those who recieve God’s abundant proivision of grace and the gift of righteousness, reign in life!

(Romans 5:17)

So what does Paul mean by pursue righteousness?

Let’s look at the word ‘righteousness’ as Paul used it, in Greek.

Firstly, according to Bible Hub: the word is dikaiosuné (pronounced: dik-ah-yos-oo’-nay) and can also be translated as justice, which gives the verse an entirely different meaning.

Secondly, dikaiosuné means the righteosuness of which God is the source or author: a divine righteousness.

The word also means “a judicial verdict” or judicial approval.

It means the verdict of approval.

The approval of God.

Divine approval.

It means what is deemed right by the Lord (after His examination), i.e. what is approved in His eyes.

Paul knew that He was approved by God.

Paul knew that according to God’s court of law the verdict on him was the verdict of approval. Divine approval. He knew that he was approved by God, even though he called himself the ‘chief of sinners.’

And he knew that it wasn’t anything to do with his attempts to obey the law. It was because of Christ. Paul knew he was approved because Christ is approved – that he was the righteousness of Christ.

Christ our righteousness.

(1 Cor 1:30)

None of our efforts to ‘be righteous’ has any effect on our approval, on our standing before God.

We cannot gain God’s approval by good works. In fact, Isaiah says ‘all our righteous acts are as filthy rags’ compared to the righteousness God has given us as a free gift.

God has approved us, because Christ took our sin and consumed it on the cross.

This is the only way we can stand approved before God. This is the only way we can get a verdict of divine approval.

We can not earn our way out of hell. We each deserve to spend eternity apart from our loving Creator God because we have chosen sin over relationship with Him. Yet, because of His great love for us, He reached out to us, suffered the eternal consequences of our sin (death) in our place that we might live forever with Him.

He did it all. This is why Jesus cried out from the cross It is Finished.

He didn’t say ‘It is almost finished. Now it’s up to them to do their part. God, I hope they can sort their lives out and be good.’

Then what was the point of dying on that rugged cross?

No.

The cross was the end of sin for all who believe.

Christ put away sin on the cross.

He ‘did away’ with it according to the writer of Hebrews.

We are no longer sinners. We are the righteousness of Christ.

We stand approved by God, not because of anything we have done or do – but because of what Christ did.

The sooner Christians understand that NOTHING they do can earn any gold stars from God, the sooner they can enter His amazing rest.

The sooner Christians stop preaching that we must struggle and strive to overcome our sin, the sooner we can all enter His rest.

Christ overcame sin on the cross.

He did it.

It is finished.

Nothing in all creation can separate us from God’s love.

What we see when we sees Jesus, God sees when He sees us.

When we sin God doesn’t say

Oh no, not again! What is the matter with these people. My Son died for them and they just keep on sinning as if nothing happened. When are they going to get their acts together?

No. He doesn’t say that.

What did Paul say when he was struggling?

The things I want to do I don’t do, but what I hate I do! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord!

(Romans 7:7-25)

Paul doesn’t look to himself to overcome sin and stop his wrong actions, he thanks God through Jesus Christ for dying in his place and taking his sin and crucifying it on the cross.

So, to return to our original question, what does Paul mean by ‘pursue’ righteousness?

My personal favorite definition of the word ‘pursue’ is ‘to set into flight.’

When I first became a Christian and realized I was a child of God, a prince, a son of The King of Kings, I felt like a cub who just found out he was a lion. Or a baby bird who had just found out he was an eagle !

Knowing who we are in Christ, holy, perfect, and glowing with His beauty and majesty, is like being an ugly duckling suddenly discovering we are Swans.

When Paul tells Timothy to pursue righteousness he is asking him to ‘set into flight’ the righteousness he has already received from God as a free gift.

So let us set into flight our righteousness, the divine righteousness we have received from God.

For we who trust in The Lord (and not in our own ability) will renew our strength.

We will rise on wings like eagles!

https://thegracebase.com/2014/03/02/sunday-sermon-pursue-righteousness/
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 9:12am On Sep 11, 2017
Tttt
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by revelatiorcm(m): 9:20am On Sep 11, 2017
jiggaz:
Tttt

I believe that Christianity is not just theory getting two and three scripts and then claim their meaning to your benefit.
when I see this wonderful message, its so encouraging, but that's not what Christianity is, this must be an experience.
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 9:29am On Sep 11, 2017
revelatiorcm:

I believe that Christianity is not just theory getting two and three scripts and then claim their meaning to your benefit.
when I see this wonderful message, its so encouraging, but that's not what Christianity is, this must be an experience.
That's your own opinion, so keep it in your pocket.
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 6:24pm On Sep 11, 2017
You
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 7:13am On Sep 12, 2017
Yeah
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 6:06pm On Sep 12, 2017
Evening gggggg
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 9:45pm On Sep 12, 2017
C
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 7:25am On Sep 13, 2017
And
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 8:04pm On Sep 13, 2017
Really
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 3:49pm On Sep 14, 2017
Blessed
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 9:26pm On Jun 26, 2018
Jesus Christ.. The altogether lovely one.
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 7:07pm On Jan 29, 2019
Lord Jesus.
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 11:02pm On Jan 29, 2019
Yes
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 7:47am On Jan 30, 2019
Yes Lord
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 6:40pm On Jul 09, 2019
Yes Lord
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 7:29pm On Jul 10, 2019
Evening
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 7:23am On Jul 28, 2019
Nkw
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 8:38pm On Jul 31, 2019
Yessssss
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 7:57am On Aug 01, 2019
Greatttt
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 8:04pm On Aug 01, 2019
Alright
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 9:44pm On Dec 20, 2019
jiggaz:
Jesus Christ.. The altogether lovely one.
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 9:07pm On Sep 26, 2020
jiggaz:
Yessssss
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by Imustreturn(m): 10:14pm On Sep 26, 2020
Nice
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 8:38am On Sep 27, 2020
Imustreturn:
Nice
Thanks
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 2:45pm On Sep 27, 2020
Yessss
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 6:16pm On Sep 27, 2020
Great
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 10:10pm On Sep 27, 2020
Cool
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by jiggaz(m): 12:25pm On Jan 04, 2022
Yesss
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by fashionbabe: 3:03pm On Jan 04, 2022
Stop deceiving innocent people in this forum, because on the last you will answer for every soul you deceived.

You are expecting God to change your behaviour automatically without any effort from you ,so that when you fail to change you will blame God.

AS A CHRISTAIN YOU MUST LIVE HOLY LIFE BECAUSE WITHOUT HOLYNESS YOU CANNOT SEE GOD
Re: Pursue Righteousness - Steve Edwards by fashionbabe: 3:05pm On Jan 04, 2022
Stop deceiving innocent people in this forum, because on the last day you will answer for every soul you deceived.

You are expecting God to change your behaviour automatically without any effort from you ,so that when you fail to change you will blame God.

AS A CHRISTAIN YOU MUST LIVE A HOLY LIFE BECAUSE WITHOUT HOLYNESS YOU CANNOT SEE GOD

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dr. S. K ABIARA Celebrate 75th Birthday, Osinbajo, Adeboye Attend / I Have A Question For Christian Scholars / 2020 Prophecies Of Apostle Dr. Ogochukwu T. Amaukwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.