Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,919 members, 7,802,987 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds - Pets (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds (56947 Views)

Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? / Ekuke Lovers Trend / All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by umuna(m): 7:03pm On Sep 11, 2017
UrennaNkoli:
We all know about our local breeds we find around. Call it basenji, call it indian pariah call it ekuke, call it meat 404 call it stray dogs, call it shit eaters but truth is, these breeds need more care and need not to be treated like a pack of shit grin

Here are some reasons why you should own an ekuke over that caucasian , pitbull , samoyed or GSD you so much crave for

1. Immunity and disease resistance

Have you ever seen an ekuke being dewormed or vaccinated at birth? Fact is no and never. Why ? Well thats because these breeds are so much immune to so many diseases affecting canines. You'll see them in gutters and dump yards yet, dem go still dey healthy cheesy. But with that boarboel of yours, you'll always be scared of pavo virus and the rest hoping your 150k + doesn't go with the wind. You can't even let your dogs out anyhow but with an ekuke, you don't need to be worried.

2. Feeding

Some people spend 10k+ every month just to feed their GSD. Some spend 15k+ just to feed their caucasian. With your local breed, why should you spend that much when all you have to do is feed it the remains of last night's food. They'll eat anything, they don't complain. Give them eba, they'll eat. If you want to treat them well, give them spoilt beans, they'll love you for ever.

3. Cost
To get a very pure boarboel from S.A, ready your 200k+ , same goes for caucasian and about 150k+ for a good GSD but with your 1k, you can get your local dog. Some even goes for as low as 500 naira. So come to think of it, why spend that much on just a dog that can die at any time. cheesy

4. Security
Some say these breeds are not security conscious but thats a fat lie. If you want to mess with them visit them at night when they are most active. (Which thief or burglar operates during the day tho). They are naturally sight hounds and speed hounds (hunters use them to catch meat and their success rate is 90%). They'll alert you way before any intruder gets in. Moreover, why spend 100 thousand naira or more on a foreign breed when you can get 100 ekukes to guard your home grin (who born any thief well when you have hundreds of dogs waiting in line to have a taste of your juicy flesh) . Afterall, there's strength in numbers they say wink

5. Longevity
They never fall sick, they never starve (even if you don't feed them they'll go an look for food themselves. Thats how smart they are). So what will kill them then?

Nice write up! The area that made me laugh most is the spoilt beans part!

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by twinklemaia(f): 7:05pm On Sep 11, 2017
Been laughing........

You failed to mention that they can never get lost. Their sense of smell is second to none.
As a child, we relocated from Kaduna to Makurdi and lost our dog in the process upon our arrival. Even though we moved from the hotel to our house, it found us 3 months later.

20 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Airoflaw(m): 7:11pm On Sep 11, 2017
lafflaff123:
And they taste good too.
Especially with fresh palmwine.
c dis one

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Agboola321(m): 7:12pm On Sep 11, 2017
grin grin. This is funny but at the same time very true.

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Ishilove: 7:22pm On Sep 11, 2017
Very true. My ekuke is the oldest dog in the entire hood, having outlived the Alsatians and his other fancy neighbours.

Since the day he was born 15 years ago, we put him on a diet of rice, eba and yam and he remains ever gallant. cheesy

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by gmoney12: 7:22pm On Sep 11, 2017
busco59:
I think this post Just made my day, make God bless the OP. Really educative, homourous and fact filled, this is the kind of post I do love to read and see in NL front burner. The truth is that naija no dey ever value her own, Even if I get money pass dangote I go get many local breeds for ma house starting from guava, to pawpaw, to watermelon, to citrus plants, to fowl, to turkey, to goat, to pigs down to our local ekuke. Cause the are really tasty and nutritious and are usually more resistance to diseases and have less chemical contents in them, thereby reducing the risk of cancer and it irks.
It high time we Africans started loving ourselves and our products, currently the Asians are known to last longer than the average man because the consume many natural food be it fruits or meat. The take enough natural supplements which boost body immunity such like supplements gotten from ginger, garlic etc. The prefer fresh food to processed food, the only go for the latter if that's the only choice, but down here we want b like oyinbo, forgetting say oyinbo dey eat process food because there whether no favor all year freshness for food. That why you hear of an Indian man giving birth to children at 90+, Japanese woman dies at 122 and so many other stories like that, but here in naija at 80 most men and women aren't active anymore both physically and sexually, because Chemical Don chop there body finish. My grand mum died at 79, but even at that age she still goes to farm, take care of her aged sick husband who died at over 100 and also engaged herself with other house chores and community activities. But today I dey notice say at 50-60 years some people don weak, the are already claiming papa and mama, why because of to much chemical in there body system.
Africa is too blessed by God, until we begin to realize that, we will keep being under the curse of low self esteem. Imagine the moringa plant which scientist made many findings about and even encouraged us to take as regular as possible, how many dey take am. But if to say na outside Dem dey follow dey ship am, and we dey buy am with dollars na so people for the rush am. Let start loving and promoting ourselves, because only then will dey rest of the world value and appreciate us.
#Blak is the new trend#
u be correct guy... thumbs up

5 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by CheedyJ(m): 7:25pm On Sep 11, 2017
As a dog lover,I av had d privilege of having different species of dog but of all,our local dog (ekuke) remains my favorite..I once trained my local dog to sit, shake ,attack,retreat,etc. They can be DAT smart trust me.

13 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by busco59: 7:25pm On Sep 11, 2017
blessingee:

If to say your grand mum be die at 120 na, i for believe your wash, as e no happen, abeg clear make i see front... grin grin grin
Hahaha I no block u ooo, if you no fit see clearly go buy medicated. At least ma grandpa die at over 100, ma grandma senior bros died at over 100, her immediate senior bros still dey alive and strong. She died 2009, so do dey calculation you go see say her old bros dey over 90 and I believe say na because the where more natural. I know say death is inevitable, but the rate at which people dies this day at a young age is quite alarming.
So ma take na b say make we begin patronize our own natural products to oyinbo artificial products. Have a nice day.

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by busco59: 7:28pm On Sep 11, 2017
gmoney12:
u be correct guy... thumbs up
Thanks ma niggi.
Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Nobody: 7:31pm On Sep 11, 2017
UrennaNkoli:
We all know about our local breeds we find around. Call it basenji, call it indian pariah call it ekuke, call it meat 404 call it stray dogs, call it shit eaters but truth is, these breeds need more care and need not to be treated like a pack of shit grin

Here are some reasons why you should own an ekuke over that caucasian , pitbull , samoyed or GSD you so much crave for

1. Immunity and disease resistance

Have you ever seen an ekuke being dewormed or vaccinated at birth? Fact is no and never. Why ? Well thats because these breeds are so much immune to so many diseases affecting canines. You'll see them in gutters and dump yards yet, dem go still dey healthy cheesy. But with that boarboel of yours, you'll always be scared of pavo virus and the rest hoping your 150k + doesn't go with the wind. You can't even let your dogs out anyhow but with an ekuke, you don't need to be worried.

2. Feeding

Some people spend 10k+ every month just to feed their GSD. Some spend 15k+ just to feed their caucasian. With your local breed, why should you spend that much when all you have to do is feed it the remains of last night's food. They'll eat anything, they don't complain. Give them eba, they'll eat. If you want to treat them well, give them spoilt beans, they'll love you for ever.

3. Cost
To get a very pure boarboel from S.A, ready your 200k+ , same goes for caucasian and about 150k+ for a good GSD but with your 1k, you can get your local dog. Some even goes for as low as 500 naira. So come to think of it, why spend that much on just a dog that can die at any time. cheesy

4. Security
Some say these breeds are not security conscious but thats a fat lie. If you want to mess with them visit them at night when they are most active. (Which thief or burglar operates during the day tho). They are naturally sight hounds and speed hounds (hunters use them to catch meat and their success rate is 90%). They'll alert you way before any intruder gets in. Moreover, why spend 100 thousand naira or more on a foreign breed when you can get 100 ekukes to guard your home grin (who born any thief well when you have hundreds of dogs waiting in line to have a taste of your juicy flesh) . Afterall, there's strength in numbers they say wink

5. Longevity
They never fall sick, they never starve (even if you don't feed them they'll go an look for food themselves. Thats how smart they are). So what will kill them then?

Please research well don't assume all local dogs "ekuke" to possess such traits. I have and witnessed many cases of them experiencing the opposite of what you said. Mind you many of them are prone to rabies
Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:39pm On Sep 11, 2017
Ishilove:
Very true. My ekuke is the oldest dog in the entire hood, having outlived the Alsatians and his other fancy neighbours.

Since the day he was born 15 years ago, we put him on a diet of rice, eba and yam and he remains ever gallant. cheesy

Pictures of your ekuke eating yam or adonbelivit
Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Ishilove: 7:41pm On Sep 11, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Pictures of your ekuke eating yam or adonbelivit
He doesn't have teeth anymore so it's just eba for him these days cry

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by talk2percy(m): 7:46pm On Sep 11, 2017
404 dey hungry me with fresh palm wine � that Kai tin...

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:48pm On Sep 11, 2017
Ishilove:

cry embarassed embarassed cry

5 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Sanchez01: 7:52pm On Sep 11, 2017
soberdrunk:
Op i agree with your points except "No.4", we had an Ekuke' many years ago and when armed robbers visited, the dog did not make a single sound and we didnt see the dog for 'two days' angry

Ps-The dog had an unusual appetite for licking engine oil and destroying slippers and shoes........
Good grief grin
Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Sanchez01: 7:54pm On Sep 11, 2017
Ishilove:

Quite sad. I think the dog should be put to rest, permanently. cry

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Ishilove: 8:00pm On Sep 11, 2017
Sanchez01:

Quite sad. I think the dog should be put to rest, permanently. cry
Kuku kill him for me. angry
Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Sanchez01: 8:04pm On Sep 11, 2017
Ishilove:

Kuku kill him for me. angry
Babe, na. grin

I didn't mean it that way. Oya, he will live 10 more years angry

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Ishilove: 8:08pm On Sep 11, 2017
Sanchez01:

Babe, na. grin

I didn't mean it that way. Oya, he will live 10 more years angry
Better grin

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Sanchez01: 8:13pm On Sep 11, 2017
Ishilove:

Better grin
LMAO grin

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Ishilove: 8:18pm On Sep 11, 2017
Sanchez01:

LMAO grin
E be like sey I go flash you. E don tey small smiley

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Sanchez01: 8:22pm On Sep 11, 2017
Ishilove:

E be like sey I go flash you. E don tey small smiley
Awwwnnn... Thanks, Love. Would be waiting kiss

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by nikz(f): 8:22pm On Sep 11, 2017
If you want to treat them well, give them spoilt beans, they'll love you for ever. Hahahahaha spoilt beans ke the s**t go smell?
Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by olureignforever: 8:28pm On Sep 11, 2017
dumo1:
This local breed od snake saved my life from being bitten by a cobra. The snake passed behnd me whilst sitting on a chair and i never knew.
it was the dog's consistent barking that got me curious. i went to have a look at what it was barking at and lo and behold i saw a snake, hoods up and ready to strike. na so i pick race run for my life.

Ole~ e with dot at the bottom. Very soon dem go call man u go show face.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by sharpwriter(m): 8:33pm On Sep 11, 2017
Ishilove:

Better go and sell that dog before e die for yur custody. It will be more painful o.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Tellemall: 8:38pm On Sep 11, 2017
colossus91:
my ekuke is crazily aggressive and doesn't eat poo,its all abt training,my dog fetches,and listens to me anytime if i tell her no she stops doing watever she's doing.......i love her so much she's the first dog i av ever had!!

Pictures of your dog.

Show them that it's not all about the big breed names.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Nonywendy(m): 8:40pm On Sep 11, 2017
taiy101:
you need to check my dog. the dog named itself .....
the name is "BLACK"

when it comes to sensitivity 89%
this dog can eat anything name it
be it groundnut
boiled maize
even kulikuli
hahahahahah
see as him pose for d pix sef

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Ishilove: 8:42pm On Sep 11, 2017
sharpwriter:

Better go and sell that dog before e die for yur custody. It will be more painful o.
Won't sell him because he was very loyal when he was still active. He gave us his very best.

Now that he is old and useless, we will nurse him till he expires peacefully

8 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by ExInferis(m): 8:44pm On Sep 11, 2017
soberdrunk:
Op i agree with your points except "No.4", we had an Ekuke' many years ago and when armed robbers visited, the dog did not make a single sound and we didnt see the dog for 'two days' angry

Ps-The dog had an unusual appetite for licking engine oil and destroying slippers and shoes........

You were better off keeping a rat
Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Nobody: 8:49pm On Sep 11, 2017
egbaguy2:
Abeg if gsd mate ekuke.....wetin the puppy go be?

GSD + Ekuke = Hushpuppy

5 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by DJperdurabo: 8:55pm On Sep 11, 2017
lafflaff123:

No not true.

The other one has too much chemicals via injections in them.

For you to know this...hehehe...how dem talk am again? Ehen...it takes one to know one.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Shows Off His Pet Dog 'Lady Chinyere' (Pictures) / Rabbit Killed By My 3-Year-Old German Shepherd (Photos) / Ikorodu Dog Walk Was A Success! ....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.