Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,811 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:24 PM

9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans (2174 Views)

Apply For 2018 Graduate Trainee Recruitment At GT Bank / Apply for 2018 MSc and PhD Commonwealth Scholarship In The UK / NLNG SIWES/IT Application For 2018 January/february Batch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans by IbnIbrahim: 9:51pm On Sep 10, 2017
The Mandela Washington Fellowships for Young African Leaders empowers young people through academic coursework, leadership training, and networking. It is not designed to help Fellows identify funding for projects or organizations.

Are you thinking of applying to the 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowship? The application season is fast approaching, so begin to prepare now! The YALI Network Team interviewed 2017 Mandela Washington Fellows and asked them to share their advice on putting together a successful application.

1. Advocate for Yourself
When you are timid or shy, you don’t fully explain what you have accomplished through your activities. You are not demonstrating who you really are and how you’re a leader in your community or within your organization. Your written application needs to be able to stand out in a large pool of applicants.

2. Reach Out
Don’t wait for someone to come to you and give you advice — take initiative and seek it. There are many Mandela Washington Fellows looking to help prospective applicants. Look up past Fellows and find their contact information, send them an email, or drop them a Facebook message and introduce yourself.

3. Visit yali.state.gov
When filling in their application, current Fellows found the online blog posts and FAQ page very helpful.

4. Take Your Time.
Start early and familiarize yourself with the application questions. Do not rush your application or try to complete it at the last minute.

5. Be Specific and Truthful.
Narrow down your focus. It’s great that you’re interested in a lot of different projects, but make sure to emphasize your expertise on a certain topic. Know your projects, know your passion. Don’t pretend to be interested in something you’re not.

6. Be Resourceful.
If internet access is scarce or expensive, find a place to print out the application forms and fill out the answers directly on the form. This also gives you a chance to reflect on and refine your responses. Once you have finalized your answers, go back online and fill in the application based on what you already wrote.

7. Ask For Help.
Find someone (or a couple of people) to review your application and provide feedback, especially if English is not your native language.

8. Take a Chance!
If you’re reading this list, you’re already a step ahead! You’re here because you want to better your community — believe in yourself and what you can do, and apply!

9. Stay Cautiously Optimistic.

Applying for the Fellowship doesn’t guarantee you’ll get it. (Last year there were more than 64,000 applicants!) Having realistic expectations can help you articulate your goals and what you would hope to achieve through the Fellowship. Keep in mind that there are a lot of other opportunities open to you under the YALI program aside from the Fellowship — like the Regional Leadership Centers and YALI Network courses and resources.

2 Likes

Re: 9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans by Oluwapresley(m): 10:13pm On Sep 10, 2017
IbnIbrahim:
The Mandela Washington Fellowships for Young African Leaders empowers young people through academic coursework, leadership training, and networking. It is not designed to help Fellows identify funding for projects or organizations.

Are you thinking of applying to the 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowship? The application season is fast approaching, so begin to prepare now! The YALI Network Team interviewed 2017 Mandela Washington Fellows and asked them to share their advice on putting together a successful application.

1. Advocate for Yourself
When you are timid or shy, you don’t fully explain what you have accomplished through your activities. You are not demonstrating who you really are and how you’re a leader in your community or within your organization. Your written application needs to be able to stand out in a large pool of applicants.

2. Reach Out
Don’t wait for someone to come to you and give you advice — take initiative and seek it. There are many Mandela Washington Fellows looking to help prospective applicants. Look up past Fellows and find their contact information, send them an email, or drop them a Facebook message and introduce yourself.

3. Visit yali.state.gov
When filling in their application, current Fellows found the online blog posts and FAQ page very helpful.

4. Take Your Time.
Start early and familiarize yourself with the application questions. Do not rush your application or try to complete it at the last minute.

Narrow down your focus. It’s great that you’re interested in a lot of different projects, but make sure to emphasize your expertise on a certain topic. Know your projects, know your passion. Don’t pretend to be interested in something you’re not.

6. Be Resourceful.
If internet access is scarce or expensive, find a place to print out the application forms and fill out the answers directly on the form. This also gives you a chance to reflect on and refine your responses. Once you have finalized your answers, go back online and fill in the application based on what you already wrote.

7. Ask For Help.
Find someone (or a couple of people) to review your application and provide feedback, especially if English is not your native language.

8. Take a Chance!
If you’re reading this list, you’re already a step ahead! You’re here because you want to better your community — believe in yourself and what you can do, and apply!

Applying for the Fellowship doesn’t guarantee you’ll get it. (Last year there were more than 64,000 applicants!) Having realistic expectations can help you articulate your goals and what you would hope to achieve through the Fellowship. Keep in mind that there are a lot of other opportunities open to you under the YALI program aside from the Fellowship — like the Regional Leadership Centers and YALI Network courses and resources.

Good evening sir.
I came across an ad some days ago about the Mandela fellowship. Please, can you enlighten on what its about? The benefits of joining the fellowship. please.
Re: 9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans by IbnIbrahim: 10:20pm On Sep 10, 2017
Oluwapresley:

Good evening sir.
I came across an ad some days ago about the Mandela fellowship. Please, can you enlighten on what its about? The benefits of joining the fellowship. please.
You can read more here: https://yali.state.gov/washington-fellowship/
Re: 9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans by Oluwapresley(m): 10:37pm On Sep 10, 2017
IbnIbrahim:
You can read more here: https://yali.state.gov/washington-fellowship/
Thank you very much, sir.
Re: 9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans by IbnIbrahim: 10:38pm On Sep 10, 2017
Oluwapresley:

Thank you very much, sir.
You are welcom

1 Like

Re: 9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans by Nobody: 11:29pm On Sep 10, 2017
Hmmmm... I reserve my comment
Re: 9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans by IbnIbrahim: 5:41pm On Sep 11, 2017
meelerh:
Hmmmm... I reserve my comment
please comment, we can always learn from each other.
Re: 9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans by Nobody: 7:12pm On Sep 11, 2017
IbnIbrahim:

please comment, we can always learn from each other.

No I don't have d energy for long turanchi these days
Re: 9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans by IshaqAyinde(m): 8:27pm On Sep 11, 2017
I always love to be a fellow of Mandela Washington YALI, I have applied twice but it seems my write up is not interested to them may be its from me.

@ibnIbrahim don't know if you can assist in feeling of the form?
Re: 9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans by IbnIbrahim: 10:30pm On Sep 11, 2017
meelerh:

No I don't have d energy for long turanchi these days
You can always make turanchi short if you want.
Re: 9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans by IbnIbrahim: 10:33pm On Sep 11, 2017
IshaqAyinde:
I always love to be a fellow of Mandela Washington YALI, I have applied twice but it seems my write up is not interested to them may be its from me.

@ibnIbrahim don't know if you can assist in feeling of the form?
Funny enough, I have applied twice but was not selected. I will apply for the 2018 edition. We can always share ideas when the time comes.
Re: 9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans by Capitabrain(m): 11:26am On Sep 12, 2017
The time starts tomorrow 13sept. So the time is now
Re: 9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans by Capitabrain(m): 11:26am On Sep 12, 2017
The time starts tomorrow 13sept. So the time has come

1 Like

Re: 9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans by Tholley(m): 1:51am On Sep 13, 2017
Hello, I've been shortlisted for the yali west africa regional program and today is my online interview by 4 pm exactly. Any advice as to how to prepare?
thanks

1 Like

Re: 9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans by dauddy97(m): 3:20pm On Nov 04, 2017
Capitabrain:
The time starts tomorrow 13sept. So the time has come
when. will it close. I wish to apply for 2018 yali program
Re: 9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans by dauddy97(m): 5:07pm On Nov 04, 2017
IbnIbrahim:

1. Advocate for Yourself

2. Reach Out

3. Visit yali.state.gov

4. Take Your Time.

6. Be Resourceful.

7. Ask For Help.

8. Take a Chance!

I want to register, is there still room to apply for the yali program
Re: 9 Application Tips For 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowships For Africans by Capitabrain(m): 2:04pm On Nov 06, 2017
dauddy97:
when. will it close. I wish to apply for 2018 yali program

I guess you will have to keep watching over there site

(1) (Reply)

Job Openings At Flour Mills Of Nigeria Plc / P-YES Activation Code Issues / ITF Interview And Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.