Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,008 members, 7,806,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:18 AM

7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic (8974 Views)

Workplace Christmas Bonus: What Did Your Workplace Give Out As Christmas Bonus / How To Get Sacked From Your Workplace? / How To Easily Manipulate Your Way To The Top At Your Workplace:Johnspeak Uwangue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by sunky97: 10:59pm On Sep 10, 2017
According to new mag, If your management focuses solely on what employees are doing wrong, you may be working for a toxic company.

Do you work in a toxic workplace?

In his book, Eye of the Storm: How Mindful Leaders Can Transform Chaotic Workplaces, executive coach Ray Williams describes the characteristics of toxic workplaces, and the part that dysfunctional leaders play in creating them. As he writes in Psychology Today, toxic workplaces will manifest in the following seven ways:

1. All sticks and no carrots

Management focuses solely on what employees are doing wrong or correcting problems, and rarely give positive feedback for what is going right. Or mostly carrots for the best performers, sticks for the rest.

2. The creeping bureaucracy

There are too many levels of approval and management to get things done and a singular focus on micromanaging employees.

3. The gigantic bottom line

Profits, beating the competition, and cost cutting are solely focused on without consideration of other bottom lines.

4. Bullies rule the roost

Management bullies employees, or tolerates bullying when it occurs among employees.

5. Loss of the human touch

People are considered to be objects or expenses rather than assets, and there is little concern for their happiness or well-being. There’s also little evidence of leaders’ compassion and empathy for employees. As a result, you’ll encounter high levels of stress, turnover, absenteeism, and burnout.

6. Internal competition

Employees must compete internally, which is enforced by a performance assessment system that focuses on individual performance rather than team performance.

7. Little or no concern for work-life balance

People’s personal or family lives must be sacrificed for the job; overwork or workaholism is commonly evidenced by 50-hour-plus workweeks, little or no vacation time, and 24/7 availability for work communication. There is little or no commitment to making contributions to the community, worthy causes, or making the world a better place.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by Nobody: 7:43am On Sep 11, 2017
is it only me dat doesn't get a dime this yeye op wrote up there angry

2 Likes

Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by stepo707: 7:44am On Sep 11, 2017
True.Toxicity get level sef

2 Likes

Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by maryjan8(f): 7:44am On Sep 11, 2017
Nice

1 Like

Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by fakuta(f): 7:46am On Sep 11, 2017
Is that all
Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by olulove(m): 7:46am On Sep 11, 2017
the best thing to do is to create one's work-space if you want to totally avoid all this point raise by OP.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by karzyharsky(m): 7:46am On Sep 11, 2017
hmmm
Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by prewtyjulie(f): 7:46am On Sep 11, 2017
if na so, nobody go work for naija
Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by Zilifish: 7:47am On Sep 11, 2017
Banking is very toxic

10 Likes

Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by free2ryhme: 7:48am On Sep 11, 2017
grin

Atleast toxic environment prepares you for future encounters in future roles and build your resolve in dealing with fellow colleagues
Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by joehis2013: 7:49am On Sep 11, 2017
Very correct op
Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by Toyeebh(m): 7:49am On Sep 11, 2017
All hood
Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by edwanobaba: 7:51am On Sep 11, 2017
Right.
Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 11, 2017
I can relate but no one gives a rat's arse about how comfy you are at work.
This write up na for them Europeans and North Americans.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by free2ryhme: 7:54am On Sep 11, 2017
fakuta:
Is that all

You can add your own

1 Like

Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by Ayoswit(f): 7:55am On Sep 11, 2017
K
Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by free2ryhme: 7:57am On Sep 11, 2017
Most of the one line comments are clear indications that most don't understand or cannot relate with the op

3 Likes

Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by braine(m): 7:57am On Sep 11, 2017
True.

Number 6 is currently happening to me. My boss is doing some ridiculous assessment on some unreasonable targets. I cannot kill myself.

1 Like

Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by KingsleyCEO: 7:58am On Sep 11, 2017
Jesus I have read through. Mine is heavily toxic.

I mean very toxic o...

1 Like

Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by Dollabiz: 8:02am On Sep 11, 2017
Really
Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by gracein: 8:03am On Sep 11, 2017
happy birthday to me. my likes please

2 Likes

Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by Godwin999(m): 8:04am On Sep 11, 2017
Was i the only one expecting to see some toxic chemicals?
Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by Korinnesta: 8:09am On Sep 11, 2017
RETIREDMUMU:
is it only me dat doesn't get a dime this yeye op wrote up there angry
Yeap you are d only that couldnt get anything from this write-up, as u can see from other comments. I think u need to read it again but now slowly so as to understand it.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by mamatayour(f): 8:11am On Sep 11, 2017
The world itself is toxic

1 Like

Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by RapportNaija(m): 8:13am On Sep 11, 2017
Sounds like the godamn company I worked for, for 2 months. Ended in shambles, because my type of person... Shoo, I still wanna see the managements and curse TF outta their lives. Bad Balosh embarassed
Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by Sgttanner: 8:14am On Sep 11, 2017
I can relate... Marketting world... You just get yabbed anyhow... They really don't wanna know how hard you work... All they care is bring in money!!... It's only the inflow that can show how hard you work.. No inflow.. You ain't working... It's just so toxic.. I really wanna quit!!!... Always afraid to go to work.... To burst your bubbles... Theres no basic salary!!!!... You get payed on percentage and yet they still scrutinize!!.... Now I have made up my mind that i will go to work only when I get Inflow or better still I just quit and face another direction...... It ain't worth it!!

3 Likes

Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by Chukazu: 8:20am On Sep 11, 2017
you forget office politics
Re: 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic by vislabraye(m): 8:21am On Sep 11, 2017
True talk. Such places are common nowadays.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should This Make Me To Quit My Job? / Best Place To Start A Career? / 9 Ways To Save Your Job During Layoff's

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.