Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,235 members, 7,780,447 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:35 PM

Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest (3405 Views)

REASONS POLITICIANS CANNOT FIGHT CORRUPTION? / The Most Critical Question Politicians Cannot Answer / Gmb..mr.integrity Surrounded By Corrupt Politicians Cannot Effect "CHANGE" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by Nobody: 2:31pm On Feb 17, 2007
Atiku's political (er treasury looting) career is dead and buried. case closed!
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by olawa20(m): 3:52pm On Feb 17, 2007
According to him, "section 137 sub-section 1(1) of the 1999 constitution stipulates that "A person shall not be qualified for election to the office of president if he has been indicted for embezzlement or fraud by a Judicial Commission of Inquiry or an Administrative Panel of Inquiry or a Tribunal set up under the Tribunals of Inquiry Act… or any other law by the Federal or state Government which indictment has been accepted by the Federal or State Government respectively."

The above is a quote from the constitution by Gani Fawehimi. It says indictment and not charged to court and found guilty. The EFCC has stated its determination to prosecute these corrupt persons but it cannot do so now while they are still being protected by the immunity clause. If these people are allowed to contest the elections and they win, they are again covered by immunity garb and the cycle goes on.

It is good that they are being prevented from running for elective posts at all. We''ll wait and see if the EFCC will make good on its threat of prosecuting these indicted officials when they eventually leave office and what the outcome will be.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by shutmouth(m): 4:13pm On Feb 17, 2007
BE REST ASSURED THEY WILL BE PROSECUTED.  grin

You must know that EFCC does not have to rush into prosecution. Investigation take time and in Nigeria, lots and lots of people are revealing secrets about the politicians to the EFCC, so they will get more facts as time progresses.

It's a strategy and it is paying off. A lot is happening behind the scene we don't know and it could be nastier than we read in the press.

Nigerians are naturally born gossipers so you could imagine now they have found a CAT (EFCC) who can help them  catch the RAT (CORRUPT Politicians). Thanks to sms and email.

I bet you, these rogue politicians may soon start to exterminate those people that know about their secrets, such as ex-drivers, cooks, servants, business partners, foreign collaborators, lawyers, bankers, enemies etc etc. If you know such people, tell them to beware.

Atiku said yesterday, I am expecting the worse "ARREST OR ROT IN PRISON". He knows, with Ribadu, the CAT is on the loose and there is nowhere to hide.

Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by mowapa(m): 5:33pm On Feb 17, 2007
So what does it mean when the PDP give you a flag? I thought the party flag represent the fact that the bearer is the chosen candidate for that position. Go ask GOVERNOR 172 HOUSES. of Enugu, he got his flag.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by Echidime(m): 6:52pm On Feb 17, 2007
Nigerians are experiencing real democracy or democrazy as fela call it, if they cannot bear what is happening in the country they should divide that country and let the south south and the south east go their way as UNITED STATES OF BIAFRA (USB) afterall nothing comes from the yorubas and the hausas, yet they are disturbing the peace of our nation. nonsence how can a small VP fight his boss?
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by Nobody: 7:37pm On Feb 17, 2007
Mr. Abubakar Athiefu, to be President of Nigeria is not by force!
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by akamihe(m): 7:38pm On Feb 17, 2007
My brothers and sisters, 9ja will surely be better for all wht has gone and is still going on. In fact we should all be happy. Let's not bother ourselves about if EFCC is a tool in the hands of OBJ or if some pple are yet to be indicted, etc. We should all be happy that at least something is being done about this cancerworm called corruption that has eaten very deep into our dear nation. We should be very happy that steps are being taken to stop this vicious and calous circle events, Really we should be very happy at the little effort to clense 9ja. We all know that there are still a legion of pple remaining. No doubt. But you all will agree with me that all those indicted are not innocent. More so they dont have anything to offer us in government. They have in one way or the other been part of govt that has not chnged the standard of living of the ordinary Nigerian. Let's keep our fingers crossed. I know that overtime when we have enthroned good governance come May 29, 2007, a total clean out will take place. I know that the OBJs, the Anenihs, the Ubas, the Akalas, the Adedibus, the Bode Judges, etc of the world are not saints. But let's wait and see. When the chips are down, I am fronting Chris Okotie.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by shutmouth(m): 8:39pm On Feb 17, 2007
Yes Baby, the chips are already down.

Listen to the INEC Boss.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by adconline(m): 11:09pm On Feb 17, 2007
NBA Faults EFCC Over List Of " Indicted" Candidates

Briefing journalists yesterday shortly after a two-day National Executive Committee meeting of the NBA held at the Imo Concorde Hotel, Owerri, the Imo State capital, NBA President Mr. Olisa Agbakoba said the manner in which the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) drew up the list and quickly submitted to the presidency, which in turn approved it left much to be desired. Agbakoba (SAN) noted that it was only the court that had the statutory right to indict and warned on the dangers of executive lawlessness.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article03
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by McKren(m): 11:14pm On Feb 17, 2007
@adconline

Stop posting stuffs you want to hear. I got a couple of questions regarding the constitution and other issues which will do my heart a great pleasure if you address them.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by Ndipe(m): 11:15pm On Feb 17, 2007
I dont have a problem with the list, as a matter of fact, I applaud this new precedent that EFCC has undertaken in curbing corruption and giving a public face to those involved in this shameful act. However, they should be no 'sacred cows' exempted from the list, because they are 'bedfellows' of the president.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by shutmouth(m): 11:17pm On Feb 17, 2007
Rubbish!!!

EFCC drew the list when it received sufficient evidence against the candidates. EFCC does not have to have a timetable or a set of timeframe to do it's work. They investigate based on tips and information received from the public.

Does CIA or FBI tell the criminals when they will reveal their names to the public.

Complete Nonesense!!!
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by adconline(m): 11:53pm On Feb 17, 2007
Its like when  you know more than NBA and Olisa Agbakoba. They rechoed what we are saying OK.  You  have to open your mind to a lot of ideas, like I said,  I like EFCC , but detest the way they are going about their job. You can hate a war, but love soldiers,  Let it also be known that selective publication of names without prosecution in order  to stop one from contesting election is illegality of  the same order.

I would want EFCC to bring charges against Atiku because he has so many things to tell Naija, but OBJ will not allow that to happen. I hate window dressing by EFCC,  they should take these politicians head on and send them to where they belong- prison. If we do not resist this skewed  process  they are   using to go about their work, its going to set a precedent for  incoming presidents to witchhunt their opponents . 
Remember, if OBJ had succeeded in his 3rd term agenda, it could have set a precedent, but nobody will try that shoddy constitutional amendment  in a long time to come. It pains me to see that Atiku and Co would  not have been barred if OBJ had won his 3rd battle without any resistance from Atiku and CO.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by superman(m): 12:03am On Feb 18, 2007

Rubbish!!!

EFCC drew the list when it received sufficient evidence against the candidates. EFCC does not have to have a timetable or a set of timeframe to do it's work. They investigate based on tips and information received from the public.

Does CIA or FBI tell the criminals when they will reveal their names to the public.

Complete Nonesense!!!

NONSENSE! BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS

would want EFCC to bring charges against Atiku because he has so many things to tell Naija, but OBJ will not allow that to happen. I hate window dressing by EFCC, they should take these politicians head on and send them to where they belong- prison. If we do not resist this skewed process are they using to go about their work, its going to set a precedent for incoming presidents to witchhunt their opponents .
Remember, if OBJ had succeeded in his 3rd term agenda, it could have set a precedent, but nobody will try that shoddy constitutional amendment in a long time to come. It pains me to see that Atiku and Co would not have been barred i
f OBJ had won his 3rd battle without any resistance from Atiku and CO.

GOT A POINT! HOPE EFCC LISTENIN
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by McKren(m): 6:30am On Feb 18, 2007
@adconline

Well if a list was drawn up by a fraud investigation agency recognised by the state and based on that list a panel of enquiry was set up by the FG and politicians were invited to defend themselves in which some refused to attend. Then they are indicted and you call that illegality or undemocratic maybe we will need you to explain what you mean by something being legal.

I have said it before Atiku is not democracy personified, neither is his name synonymous to democracy such that anything against his interest is undemocratic no matter how constitutional it might me.

Talking about Olisa Agbakoba adding his voice to your argument, that amounts to nothing cos even Gani Fawenhinmi thinks otherwise.

Talking about precedents, that set by killing third term is so good for our democracy. Trust me no one will come up with that ugly proposal at least in the next 50years. On this issue of corrupt politicians another good precedent has been set,
wanna stay safe dont embezzle money. If you dont have questions to answer you dont need to be the President's friend.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by adconline(m): 12:01pm On Feb 18, 2007
@ Mckren,

My point is that there is a bigger question of corruption here, OBJ  and  his cronies got about  $180 billion for the past years and started  setting up a panel to indict  people less than 3 months to go. We need to probe deeper, why now and what happened to bigger chunk of $180 Billion,  because OBJ awarded all the federal contracts, not Atiku.

OBJ already knows that FG cannot prosecute Atiku and Govs because of immunity, why not deal with this immunity clause monster through NASS since  most of the  members are from his party. He got NASS under his control. Remember that Atiku was the Chairman of National Council on Privatization and EL Rufai was  Chairman of BPE, why did EL Rufai not raise red flags when these things were going.  He is by extension culpable. Remember  that MOFAS account  was operated jointly with OBJ, so he cannot extricate himself from that mess. OBJ has not denied any connection with this account.

If OBJ had won his  third term with Atiku's support, would the VP have been indicted? The answer is no, so the looting continues even right now. This is a grand design orchestrated at stopping people from contesting election and showing to some Nigerians that we are fighting for corruption. There is no difference between that so called and Oputa panel, Buhari refused to appear and FG has not done anything  about it.
As regards  to Agbakoba, he was merely representing the opinion of NBA not his personal opinion as Gani did.  Can we use because of  democracy and allow OBJ to run the whole country amok? Let them follow the law. Atiku's case is pending before a  Court in Abuja, let the laws of the land prevail, not OBJ wishes.  Can OBJ and his ministers successfully account for  $180 Billion  spent in the last  8 years? 
Finally, lets  not forget that EFCC will live beyond May of 2007 and if its entangled in political situations like  this, it cannot freely prosecute corrupt politician because incoming NASS members may weaken its powers. EFCC  must be apolitical like NAFDAC.  I still remebered what Anyim and some senators did with ICPC when OBJ used it as a tool to witchhunt political dissidents.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by McKren(m): 12:12pm On Feb 18, 2007
The laws of the land are obviously prevailing on this occassion, Atiku has a question of fraud to answer before a court and thus INEC has to stay action on his candidacy until that case is resolved. That is the provision of the law. INEC as a responsible agency has only informed AC on the need to replace their candidate owing to the slim timscale and its entirely up to AC to oblige. How is that not within the confines ofthe law?

Except you are praying that INEC should circumvent the constitution to clear Atiku.
My guy take heart ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

How do you mean the EFCC being apolitical like Nafdac. Their realms of operation are wide apart. EFCC is a fraud prevention agency (Economic & Financial Crimes Commision), in a society where the greatest fraudstars are politicians tell me how it will be inevitable for EFCC to engage in politics.
It is like accusing NAFDAC of protecting some bussiness interest against the other when you have not lived up to the requirement.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by adconline(m): 12:50pm On Feb 18, 2007
I  will say it again, I am not holding brief for Atiku and Co,  but  OBJ does not need a blank cheque to fight corruption. EFCC must work within the confines of the law. Why did EFCC insert a guy's name who never held public office, simply because he is contesting against Iyabo Obasanjo.

I want Atiku and Co to be prosecuted.  Why is OBJ the minister of petroleum and there is scarcity? Why is that after eight years, our refineries are  still not working. oh my bad Atiku is responsible. PHCN/NEPA is not working despite huge sums of money allocated to it - Atiku  should held responsible.

We are treating corruption superficially as if to say that Atiku and Co introduced corruption to this administration.
Why indict Atiku when you know that your hands  are  tied in corruption no to prosecute him?
Nigerians are poorer today because OBJ mismanaged  about $180 Billion not Atiku. Let OBJ declare  his assets. Let OBJ borrow a leaf from South Africa.  Jacob Zuma went to court to prove his innocence.
NAFDAC had a case against Mr Marcel Nnakwe  for selling fake drugs and  ploting to  kill  Dora Akunyili, they went to to prove their case. EFCC  must go to courts to  prove their case.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by donnymikky(m): 2:16pm On Feb 18, 2007
People keep on saying the list released by EFCC is politically moltivated but no one has ever said the people on the list are innocent of corruption. If truelly we have aknowledged that CORRUPTION is the major problem of Nigeria then there is no need for any right thinking nigerian to condem the list and tagged it "anti-PDP". Wether it is "ANTY-PDP" or "BROTHER PDP" the fact still remains that the persons on the list are corrupt and are not fit to be voted into various offices. We should know that all corrupt politicians can not be cought and tried at the same time. It is a gradual process and EFCC should be applauded for its effort in combarting this menace that has brought shame to our nation. A journey of a mile starts with a step and EFCC has set a positive precedence which I know will yield the needed result in no distant time.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by shutmouth(m): 4:08pm On Feb 18, 2007
EFCC must work within the confines of the law

B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T !!!

Does corrupt politicians work within the confines of the laws when they loot our treasury?

EFCC is doing a great job for the poor and not for the rich.

Are you people agents of the corrupt politicians hired here to generate negative biased opinions to confuse the public?

After 47 years of poverty, misery and decay, some Nigerians are still dead brain to understand that our plight is due to endemic corruption by our leaders.

I am sickened.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by McKren(m): 4:15pm On Feb 18, 2007
@Shutmouth

You dont need to be sickened if you understand what people stand for. Even Ribadu says when you try to fight corruption, corruption tries to fight back using the Law.
You can expect, nobody will tell you corruption is right bu will rather find there way arround the law to defend their interest.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by adconline(m): 10:05pm On Feb 18, 2007
EFCC is not there to break the law like corrupt politicians but to bring to book those who flout the law. EFCC should take their case to a competent court in Nigeria not to FG as a prosetutor, interpreter and executor of the law.
Believe me the only thing they can achieve at the moment is to stop Atiku and Co from contesting election, but cannot put them in jail in order to recover what they have allegedly stolen. massive looting continues after OBJ is gone unless we do things right. Imagine EFCC putting VP in jail will serve as deterrent to others that anyone can go down. FG does not have the right to put someone like Atiku to jail, but the courts have such powers. I want a system that will gradually put an end to corruption because at the moment these folks will walk free after May 2007.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by Ndipe(m): 3:49am On Feb 19, 2007
EFCC has tried though, by giving a face to this corrupt public officials, they are moving towards the right step. Lets not be overly critical of the organization, but lets support them. We can only hope that every corrupt official who has stolen public money is included in the list, no matter how well placed they may be in society.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by Abeem(m): 5:15am On Feb 19, 2007
Anyone that has been following the antics of OBJ will not fail to appreciate that there is a sinister motive by the presidency behind the release of this list of indictment of "so called corrupt politicians".  It has nothing to do with the honest prosecution of corrupt officials but it is only a strategy to perpetuate PDP in power, and by extension, ensure that OBJ's enemies does not get elected into office.  This is an insurance to forestalling any possible prosecution of him out of office. We all have a stake in the country and a corrupt free, democratic society will serve our interest better.  We do not deserve the crap that OBJ is dishing out to us in the name of war against corruption. 

Whoever thinks this list will usher in a regime of corrupt free politicians after the elections must be living in a fools paradise because it is not destined to be so.  Gist: Alao Akala who Ribadu reportedly told a UI audience as being corrupt and unworthy of holding a public office was missing from the list.  This same corrupt ex-police officer is the PDP governorship candidate of Oyo state.  In case people have forgotten, this is the man that gave the state's treasury to Lamidi Adedibu, the thug that has being causing confusion in Oyo state since 2003.

Also, why would Tejuosho's name be on the list when he has not, in his entire life, held government appointment?  Well, he is contesting against OBJ's daughter for the coveted senatorial seat of Ogun central district. This is a well liked personality in the district, who possesses all that it takes to defeat OBJ's daughter at the polls. Because OBJ is scheming for his daughter to become the next Senate President, then Tejuosho must be indicted to disqualify him from contesting the election. List of indicted politicians indeed.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by adconline(m): 7:44am On Feb 19, 2007
@Abeem, thoughtful piece
I thought I was the only voice in the wilderness. If EFCC becomes a tool for political vendetta, these incoming politicians might weaken its power of operation, so as not to scuttle their political ambitions. They need to say out of politics so that it does not become like NEPA or NTA. OBJ does even have the power to ask a governor who heads a different tier of government to appear before a panel.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by McKren(m): 8:45pm On Feb 19, 2007
[size=8pt]TAKE HEART[/size][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by debosky(m): 9:52pm On Feb 19, 2007
well, for what its worth, Lanre Tejuosho was 'cleared' by the Panel of Inquiry set up by the same Fed Govt, so he is free to contest against Obj's daughter

By the way, as much as I admire Ribadu a mere declaration of a person's 'corruptedness' should not be taken as evidence

If there is proof, let it be brought forward, as far as I know, the Akala fellow is under investigaton. A recent report even indicted Adedibu for not completing a fed govt contract for an information center in Ekiti state, I hope the police will follow up on this.

Let people come out and clear themselves publicly, except for the Tejuosho case, I am yet to see any evidence that any of the other people on the list are not corrupt. Whether they are Obj's enemies or not, If they are corrupt, then they should be prosecuted, or is it because they are Obj's enemies that they went to steal?

Enough of these excuses, yes there is political vindictiveness in Obj's action, we all know he doesnt forgive, but if they are corrupt, whether it is out of enmity or jealousy, they should be exposed as such!
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by shutmouth(m): 10:14pm On Feb 19, 2007
debosky, you sound like a 13 years old tenager.

Do you need a proof of corruption in Nigeria?

EFCC has all the proof it need, and cannot reveal them until the indicted candidates have been charged to court. At this time, most of the politicians (if not all) are under immunity and cannot be prosecuted until the expiration of their term.

From inception, EFCC started with 419 and cyber criminals and during this time, the politicians thought they were immune and did not expect that Ribadu would point a finger on them. A sort of Bluffing!!!

Nothing in this planet would tell them that Ribadu will come after them at a time they least expected, few days to the election.

The whole fuss over recent events is simple because this has never happened in Nigeria before and Nigerian politicians being what they are "Brain dead and die-hard" refusing to accept the change.

It is a positive thing and one that will purify and solidify our young democracy for our future generation.

Take heart my dear, it's too late to be complaining, join the EFCC bandwagon.

Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by debosky(m): 10:18pm On Feb 19, 2007
i don't accept words at face value, if that makes me a 13 yr old, then thats what I am wink

If your presumption that Ribadu's word is evidence is correct, then Akala's name should be on the list, since it is not, then it is true that EFCC is simply a selective tool being used by the president!

YES you need proof of corruption to indict or [b]disqualify [/b]someone!! Ribadu simply saying so isnt enough, show the proof

don't rubbish good men like Lanre Tejousho in your haste to 'nail' corrupt politicians
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by shutmouth(m): 10:31pm On Feb 19, 2007
These Politicians know exactly what they have done wrong but are doing all they can to prevent the public from knowing.

Please read Ribadu's interview below:

FULL INTERVIEW HERE http://www.dailytrust.com/weekly/cover.htm

Extract:

WT: Can you give us an idea of how much you have recovered so far?
Ribadu: Some of them we have documented. Some of them are not easy to even quantify. For example, recently, when we worked from December, when we started going after big time politicians or candidates who are occupying positions, the fact that we went in, made them return billions. They changed their mind about taking the money.

WT: Can you be specific?
Ribadu: I will not. But there are others that we know we have stopped and they are, like, just quietly ‘let’s return it.’ There are others we recovered money directly from. For example, we seized close to 40 tankers of crude oil and products. Do you know how much that costs? So how do you quantify this kind of thing? We have recovered hundreds and hundreds of houses all over. Maybe I am the biggest landlord in Abuja today (general laughter). So I am just telling you the difficulty of coming with a definite figure of recoveries. It is difficult, but I can tell you it’s huge.

debosky, what do you think?
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by mazaje(m): 10:41pm On Feb 19, 2007
where are all the recovered money? in OBJ's pocket, where are all the recorvered houses ?were the houses given to the homeless people?NO instead they were  shared between OBJ and his friends. where is Abacha's returned loot? in OBJ's bank account.its just a merry go round i wonder when it will ever end. if some one steals another person will collect it and steal it again so i don't know who is fooling who here.
Re: Indicted Politicians Cannot Contest by shutmouth(m): 10:52pm On Feb 19, 2007
My friend, that is why we need a new President like Pat Utomi

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 Killed In Fresh Jos Violence / Shina Oyetayo Kidnapped & Released? (Punch Newspaper Entertainment Writer) / Celebration Thread For APC Member On Emergence Of Aregbesola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.