Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,560 members, 7,809,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

Re-prioritize: A Clarion Call To Ladies - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Re-prioritize: A Clarion Call To Ladies (13081 Views)

A Serious Message To Ladies. / Please Help Me To Obey The Clarion Call / CEO Of Europe's Largest Fashion Site Resigns To Prioritize His Wife's Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Re-prioritize: A Clarion Call To Ladies by Kayceenaz(m): 10:11pm On Sep 16, 2017
TheLordIsGr8:

Marriage has been and will always be an achievement worth celebrating as much as intellect. Without marriage we'd all be gone in a short time. "Leaving father and mother" is part of human nature as much as intellect. There is no point celebrating one and thrashing the other. If we all became unmarried intellectuals we'd all be gone in a short time.

The concerted effort to bastardize marriage that we see today should give you a pause. I guess you come from a married home where dad and mom had your back. Isn't that an achievement worth celebrating?
Team-work is all the vibe in the workplace today. But guess what. You think you've mastered the art of team-work? Get married and see (I am not in anyway suggesting "everyone" should get married).
Would a woman be any less a woman if she is not an intellectual? I would answer no. Commonsense is enough. Anyone can write a book. We can talk about quality another day (just following you)

The rate of failure of marriages today should tell you that it is not easy to stay married. So when a man and a lady stays married, that is part of their worth.
Equating marriage with intellectual worth is out of place, because the latter solves more human problems. Would marriage by itself have facilitated the birth and growth of science which is helping us solve problems? No. Also, most times, a well-cultivated intellect is critical to sustaining a marriage, as seen in the key role professional marriage counselors and psychotherapists play today. Therefore, attention needs to be paid more to grooming problem-solvers who are actively existing and not merely basking in the euphoria of having a ring on their finger.

1 Like

Re: Re-prioritize: A Clarion Call To Ladies by Kayceenaz(m): 10:30pm On Sep 16, 2017
Pataricatering:
All this grammar is too much for the cause . There is absolutely no need to wrap feminism in the false garb of intellectualism so you can determine that only women who are above a certain intellect can be involved in it . Feminism is quite simple , any woman can be a feminist - You don't have to be a chimamanda to be a Feminist . You simply have to see the need in standing up for yourself as a woman.
This is one of the ways closet misogynists muddy the waters to invalidate feminism . If only people like chimamanda can be feminists then we should all simply pack up and go home .
When will men see the need to do articles like these advising themselves on how to be better human beings and leave women to advise their own selves ? You concern yourself with women and their issues as a means to keep controlling the narrative about women , their bodies , their sexuality , their roles within society etc . Uche , face your work , Abeg! Leave women alone.

The grammar is too much and yet you used the quite unfamiliar term "garb" to make your point. Isn't that hypocritical?

However, you simply misunderstood my point. In the article, I clamoured for the emergence of women who think like Chimamanda Adichie in terms of making a difference by contributing to advancement of society, not women who are to become exactly like Adichie in all ramifications. Mother Theresa, Jane goodall, Angela Merkel, can also be emulated.

More so, I have a valid right, which originates from my nature as a human, to advocate for the optimization of human potentials regardless of gender. That is the motivation and validation of my article.
Re: Re-prioritize: A Clarion Call To Ladies by Kayceenaz(m): 10:40pm On Sep 16, 2017
Ariel20:
Bullcrap..... Typical long trash objectifying the womenfolks embarassed
Your comment puts a very big question mark on whether you read the article at all with the slightest understanding.
Re: Re-prioritize: A Clarion Call To Ladies by safarigirl(f): 12:02am On Sep 17, 2017
Kayceenaz:

With the barrage of supposed "slammings," has Oby Ezekwesili given up or withdrawn to passivity? She has instead persisted by advancing a cause, through the Bring Back Our Girls group, that would make a difference in the lives of others.

So, in your view, Dora Akunyili fulfilled the "Nigerian expectation" by positively deviating from the status-quo of partially condoning fake drugs and toxic food substances, which stood her out and almost cost her life while in office as NAFDAC DG? Think again. She still made a difference even in an unfriendly environment.

Okonjo Iweala, despite her academic sojourn abroad, has spent most of her life in Nigeria. Her uniqueness is underlined by the fact that not necessarily all Nigerian women who grew or schooled up abroad end up making a tangible difference. NOI's courage to contribute to development of society through her expertise in Economics, merits mentioning and emulation.

Quit saying it is impossible, because it is actually not. Realities testify that your conclusion is a hasty generalization. Regardless of what society thinks, the determined Nigerian woman can stand out from the crowd by sheer resolve and persistence to make a difference. That resolve is lacking mainly due to misplaced prioritization, and my article attempts to close that gap by creating awareness among the women folk and inspire them to rise and shine. We, the average right-thinking Nigerians, are eager to see them do so.
realities of 4 women? 4 out if at least 40 million, is that a pass mark by any standard?

Dora fulfilled the Nigerian expectation if being married with kids. You should bother to ask for clarification before jumping to conclusions.

What about the other women like Linda Ikeji who are carving a niche, but Nigerians can't see past the fact they aren't married?

You are naming women in politics, is Adichie a politician? Even the women in politics, have the likes of Arunma Oteh not been vilified?

Traverse this very site and gauge the reactions to women who bother to exhibit slight intelligence in reasoning, they attack you with the same teasing of "who go marry this one?"

The reality of Nigeria is that it is a patriarchal society and being an Adichie in Nigeria is a tall dream. The best you can do is do your business and keep quiet like Uche of Bella Naija because the day you pass your 'boundary' they will come for you

2 Likes

Re: Re-prioritize: A Clarion Call To Ladies by safarigirl(f): 12:06am On Sep 17, 2017
Kayceenaz:

The grammar is too much and yet you used the quite unfamiliar term "garb" to make your point. Isn't that hypocritical?

However, you simply misunderstood my point. In the article, I clamoured for the emergence of women who think like Chimamanda Adichie in terms of making a difference by contributing to advancement of society, not women who are to become exactly like Adichie in all ramifications. Mother Theresa, Jane goodall, Angela Merkel, can also be emulated.

More so, I have a valid right, which originates from my nature as a human, to advocate for the optimization of human potentials regardless of gender. That is the motivation and validation of my article.
you are advising Nigerian women to emulate unmarried and childless Angela Merkel? undecided

You think Angela would have even won LG election in Nigeria? You are not even taking into cognizance the societal factor, you're just reeling out names as if the apparatus has been put in place for the Nigerian female to be all she can be undecided

It's like you people really don't understand the struggle....anyway, you're a man, your understanding of the struggle must be vague.

1 Like

Re: Re-prioritize: A Clarion Call To Ladies by Gerrard59(m): 5:44am On Sep 17, 2017
safarigirl:
you are advising Nigerian women to emulate unmarried and childless Angela Merkel? undecided

You think Angela would have even won LG election in Nigeria? You are not even taking into cognizance the societal factor, you're just reeling out names as if the apparatus has been put in place for the Nigerian female to be all she can be undecided

It's like you people really don't understand the struggle....anyway, you're a man, your understanding of the struggle must be vague.

I agree with most of your points. But she's married @ the bolded.

1 Like

Re: Re-prioritize: A Clarion Call To Ladies by Nobody: 6:59am On Sep 17, 2017
Kayceenaz:
Equating marriage with intellectual worth is out of place, because the latter solves more human problems.
I am not equating them. Marriage, done right, is far higher and noble. In case you haven't noticed, without marriage there would be no human beings let alone problems to solve, neither will there be any intellectual running around looking for problem to solve.

Kayceenaz:
Would marriage by itself have facilitated the birth and growth of science which is helping us solve problems?
Would intellect by itself have facilitated the birth and growth of human civilization? You answer

Kayceenaz:
Also, most times, a well-cultivated intellect is critical to sustaining a marriage, as seen in the key role professional marriage counselors and psychotherapists play today.
A stable family is critical to sustaining and nurturing a great intellect. FYI, if people learned about how a family works from their parents there wouldn't be much need for marriage counselors. In times of old there were no such counselors, still families were more stable. Isn't it ironic that in this "enlightened" age we are getting worse at marriage, leading to the rise in professional marriage counselors? The best marriage counselors out there are parents. Not someone who read about marriage in books.

Now I'm not implying that all professional marriage counseling is fruitless. It is not like these professionals have discovered something new under the sun. Take a look around you. The only thing that keeps changing is technology. Man has not changed. The earth has not changed. The thing is that there has been a radical break from traditional wisdom about the human condition. The man of today likes to think of the man of yesterday as a savage who knew nothing. Thus there was nothing to learn from him. He thinks man of yesterday as archaic. Man of today has an iPhone so he thinks to himself, "Darn!!!, those men must be very primitive". But it was the great Newton who said "If I saw farther, twas by standing on giant shoulders."
Society you know today didn't just spring out of the dust. It is built on thousands of year of human learning. Euclid, thousands of years ago, produced great theorems in geometry. Things that students of today thinks are "too hard". Even something as simple as Pythagoras' theorem still floor millions of iPhone wielding students, yet they believe Euclid and Pythagoras to be primitive and unsophisticated. I strongly believe the day will come in human existence when people will look back and call the 21st century "primitive". Now you're thinking how dumb one would be to call the iPhone generation primitive. If that thought bothers you, then, haven't been paying attention to this thing called living.

So if you can access wisdom of the ages concerning marriage, then, you don't need no paid, professional help in your marriage

Kayceenaz:
Therefore, attention needs to be paid more to grooming problem-solvers who are actively existing and not merely basking in the euphoria of having a ring on their finger.
Yes!!! Pay attention to problem-solving. You may wake up one day and find that there is nobody anymore, let alone one with a problem for you to solve. Then you got an even bigger problem. Good luck solving problems. One such country is Spain. Now they have a minister for sex. They're yet to announce the minister for intellect. Well, I just hope you can rationalize your position by claiming "this is what I"m talking about. They've got their priorities wrong! They're know-nothings".

Anyway, good luck. Cultivate your intellect more than your genes and one day the earth will be rid of your genes, but mine will live long cause I got my priorities right.
Re: Re-prioritize: A Clarion Call To Ladies by Nobody: 7:23am On Sep 17, 2017
safarigirl:
The society defines what a woman is.
Hope you won't mind telling me what you mean by society. I believe nature defines what a woman is. Don't turn something so basic on its head.

Society as I use it here means the sum of interactions between people living in a geographic location and with other people from far away through mass media.

safarigirl:
If you are unlucky enough to be in a patriarchal society like Nigeria, just know that you will never really be an Adichie no matter how much you try

Here's what I think. Society doesn't affect women alone. It affects men as well, even kids. There is expectation on everyone. I don't know why you're swallowing all this garbage of "patriarchy" from western "man-haters". Black man/woman think for yourself. From ready-made clothes to ready-made thought. This is bad.

I am a man and I have no apologies about that. Women already decide what to do with their bodies, and they are promptly giving access to anything that even looks like a man, for cheap, glittering things at that. Worst case scenario is rape, which is punishable by law. What more does a woman want? Work? Well, work is not all the fun women have been made to believe. Work is work and its hard. And it takes its toll on all. And for biological reasons, its worse for women. Ever heard the saying that men age like wine, while women age like milk? Its nature. Fight it all you want, it always wins.

Now I am not saying women should not exercise their brains as much as men. But asking for privileged access while accusing men of privileged access is ridiculous.

Anyway, you look good. Nature made you so. Not society. Not makeup. And you'll look good without the artificial hair. Is that society or you?
Re: Re-prioritize: A Clarion Call To Ladies by ashjay001(m): 7:41pm On Oct 14, 2017
BreezyRita:

Exactly!

How do u justify ur attitude to Wale with d statement u av as ur profile pics!
Re: Re-prioritize: A Clarion Call To Ladies by BreezyRita(f): 3:56pm On Nov 03, 2017
ashjay001:

How do u justify ur attitude to Wale with d statement u av as ur profile pics!
I'm not perfect. I know I can't be perfect but I can be the best I should be.
I'm still judgemental. But then even he knows I've forgiven a lot more than some would. Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages / Woman Marries 2 Men, Charged To Sharia Court / Can I Marry My Brother's Wife Sister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.