Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,630 members, 7,801,821 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer (9638 Views)

Convert Your Company Profile To An Engaging Video At A Cheap Rate / How Toprepare & Deliver An Engaging & Effective Presentation / What To Know As A "Graphics Designer" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by erad(m): 9:01pm On Sep 11, 2017
Hi guys, how are you all doing today?
I'm giving some tips today on how clients can have a pleasant work experience with a graphics designer. These tips are inspired by my recent experience(s) and reports I got about some designers in the arts/graphics section and the dissatisfaction/regret of their clients. While I can't totally prevent such occurrences from happening again, I can at least try to give pointers that will reduce the occurrences to a minimal level.

1. Have an idea of designer's strengths and weaknesses:
Graphics design happens to be a very wide field. It comprises of branding, print designs, photo editing, video editing, 3D designs, animation, etc. While some designers happen to know quite a fair number of the various fields of designs, others don't. So the common thing is to have a designer skilled in one or two of the design fields, be at intermediate level with one or two other fields and have no idea about others. So always make sure to ask clear questions regarding their strengths and their ability to deliver what you seek.

2. Request for their previous jobs:
Sometimes, taking a designers word for it might not be the best idea. Always request to see the portfolio of the designer you wish to hire. Their portfolio will let you know how good they are and if they are up to the standard you seek.

3. Conduct an on-line background check:
This has become necessary in recent times due to the high number of posers and scammers on-line. You don't want to be dealing with someone who is a ghost on-line. Do a Google search, go through their social media accounts, read comments on their walls and their relationships especially with family. Be sure that there are people the designer has link to who can be reached when necessary and there are people whom the designer won't want to disgrace/disappoint by being fraudulent. Not like this cancels out a designer being shady, it at least greatly reduces the possibility.

4. Agree on the price before committing yourself:
I'm not sure this is something anyone needs to be told again though a lot of clients and designers including myself have made the mistake at one point or the other in the past. Clients should always know what the designer is charging and the services he'll be rendering at that price. Negotiate if need be and always ensure you both reach a definite conclusion. This is to avoid stories that touch after work has commenced.

5. Ask for final file formats you'll be getting:
So this happens to be an issue. Designers finishing up on a job and sending one or more files to the client but not the source file. The clients ask why that is the case and the designer is all about it being his intellectual property and the client paying more to get it. This of course would be fair if the client had known from the onset. While some designers don't have a problem giving out their source files, some others do. So it's advisable to always know what files you are getting from your designer when the job is done.

6. Respect:
Most will agree that this should have come first. It's the most important ingredient in every human relationship, not just for graphic designers and their clients. Clients should make sure they don't demean or disrespect a designer in the process of negotiating price. I hear things like ,"so so designer only charged me N20,000 for a logo design and he did a very nice job, why are you charging N50,000 for yours?". Then I wonder why they are talking to me about their logo and not the other designer. Or things like "is it not just to draw a line here and there?". Well, I ask why they need me when they already know how to go about it. Every designer didn't go through the same training, and they didn't make the same sacrifices to be where they are. Also, they don't have the same level of experience and professionalism. Negotiate the price without any disrespect to the designer or his work. Move on if you feel you can't afford it.

7. Ask for mode of payment:
Many designers will ask for full payment before commencing on a job while some others will ask for some percentage upfront and collect the balance when the job is done before sending the necessary files. Most designers I know will never agree to not getting anything before starting the job. This is because people can be unreliable. There are cases of designers devoting their time to a job and the client at the end of the day saying they are no longer interested because something else came up. There are also people who have some cheap designers somewhere and will come to you to waste your time and steal your idea to give to the cheap designer. So it's always advisable to know the designer's pattern of payment and be sure you are okay with it.

These are the few I've been able to come up with, I hope they will be of some use to first time clients and even the experienced onces. No one is above making a mistake. Kindly add yours if you feel it's not included in the list above.
Thank you for reading.

Please don't forget to check out Nairaland designers' logo design portfolios.
https://www.nairaland.com/3741851/nairaland-portfolio-logo-designers-2017

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by Donald3d(m): 10:15pm On Sep 11, 2017
Thank u especially for the respect part

2 Likes

Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by kilojoDesigns: 10:16pm On Sep 11, 2017
erad:
Hi guys, how are you all doing today?
I'm giving some tips today on how clients can have a pleasant work experience with a graphics designer. These tips are inspired by my recent experience(s) and reports I got about some designers in the arts/graphics section and the dissatisfaction/regret of their clients. While I can't totally prevent such occurrences from happening again, I can at least try to give pointers that will reduce the occurrences to a minimal level.

1. Have an idea of designer's strengths and weaknesses:
Graphics design happens to be a very wide field. It comprises of branding, print designs, photo editing, video editing, 3D designs, animation, etc. While some designers happen to know quite a fair number of the various fields of designs, others don't. So the common thing is to have a designer skilled in one or two of the design fields, be at intermediate level with one or two other fields and have no idea about others. So always make sure to ask clear questions regarding their strengths and their ability to deliver what you seek.

2. Request for their previous jobs:
Sometimes, taking a designers word for it might not be the best idea. Always request to see the portfolio of the designer you wish to hire. Their portfolio will let you know how good they are and if they are up to the standard you seek.

3. Conduct an on-line background check:
This has become necessary in recent times due to the high number of posers and scammers on-line. You don't want to be dealing with someone who is a ghost on-line. Do a Google search, go through their social media accounts, read comments on their walls and their relationships especially with family. Be sure that there are people the designer has link to who can be reached when necessary and there are people whom the designer won't want to disgrace/disappoint by being fraudulent. Not like this cancels out a designer being shady, it at least greatly reduces the possibility.

4. Agree on the price before committing yourself:
I'm not sure this is something anyone needs to be told again though a lot of clients and designers including myself have made the mistake at one point or the other in the past. Clients should always know what the designer is charging and the services he'll be rendering at that price. Negotiate if need be and always ensure you both reach a definite conclusion. This is to avoid stories that touch after work has commenced.

5. Ask for final file formats you'll be getting:
So this happens to be an issue. Designers finishing up on a job and sending one or more files to the client but not the source file. The clients ask why that is the case and the designer is all about it being his intellectual property and the client paying more to get it. This of course would be fair if the client had known from the onset. While some designers don't have a problem giving out their source files, some others do. So it's advisable to always know what files you are getting from your designer when the job is done.

6. Respect:
Most will agree that this should have come first. It's the most important ingredient in every human relationship, not just for graphic designers and their clients. Clients should make sure they don't demean or disrespect a designer in the process of negotiating price. I hear things like ,"so so designer only charged me N20,000 for a logo design and he did a very nice job, why are you charging N50,000 for yours?". Then I wonder why they are talking to me about their logo and not the other designer. Or things like "is it not just to draw a line here and there?". Well, I ask why they need me when they already know how to go about it. Every designer didn't go through the same training, and they didn't make the same sacrifices to be where they are. Also, they don't have the same level of experience and professionalism. Negotiate the price without any disrespect to the designer or his work. Move on if you feel you can't afford it.

7. Ask for mode of payment:
Many designers will ask for full payment before commencing on a job while some others will ask for some percentage upfront and collect the balance when the job is done before sending the necessary files. Most designers I know will never agree to not getting anything before starting the job. This is because people can be unreliable. There are cases of designers devoting their time to a job and the client at the end of the day saying they are no longer interested because something else came up. There are also people who have some cheap designers somewhere and will come to you to waste your time and steal your idea to give to the cheap designer. So it's always advisable to know the designer's pattern of payment and be sure you are okay with it.

These are the few I've been able to come up with, I hope they will be of some use to first time clients and even the experienced onces. No one is above making a mistake. Kindly add yours if you feel it's not included in the list above.
Thank you for reading.

Please don't forget to check out Nairaland designers' logo design portfolios.
https://www.nairaland.com/3741851/nairaland-portfolio-logo-designers-2017

nice works. pls how did you add that photo to your signature

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by veekid(m): 8:09am On Sep 14, 2017
Where the boys at?
Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by Sleyanya1(m): 8:18am On Sep 14, 2017
Okay... Thanks.
Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by HolarQD(m): 8:20am On Sep 14, 2017
uzoclinton:
I can design logo's for just 2k... will be sending all file format... at least the ones that matter, jpg n gif

This is really not good for you to post here. You can never make it far or successful if you get to charge like especially here where you don't know te capacity of your clients. Try to know your client before fixing price

@OP you're so much on point

6 Likes

Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by DkJay: 8:26am On Sep 14, 2017
Nice one op. Great advice, even for upcoming design artists like myself
Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by Truman155(m): 8:31am On Sep 14, 2017
Nigerians don't respect intellectual work I can still remember my first design gig I didn't specify the terms from the beginning because I was dealing with my friend and it complicated matters
Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by Jaytecq(m): 8:51am On Sep 14, 2017
noted
Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by kesmalindo(m): 9:14am On Sep 14, 2017
we need to talk. send me your WhatsApp number
Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by Tongsman(m): 9:18am On Sep 14, 2017
Nice one @OP
Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by DozieInc(m): 9:34am On Sep 14, 2017
Makes sense wink
Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by Lagboyinibadan(m): 9:55am On Sep 14, 2017
Why should a logo design be 50k?
These graphic designers are extorting people, and that is why I went to learn how to do my designs myself.
Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by CellTabRepair20: 10:17am On Sep 14, 2017
On the respect aspect never belittle anyone's skilled labour...If it was a matter of 'just', 'common' act, why didn't you do it?
3 Months to end 2017. Have U finally gotten that job yet? Endless waiting is destiny killing. B4 the year winds up U can still make real cool cash fixing high-end, in-high demand smart devices.
Get *"Mobile Phones and Tablets Repairs: A Complete Guide..." book* & see how useful it is for Ur training needs. OR are U interested in office career? Do so with superior knowledge. Get the book *"IT Career: A Roadmap"*. All packaged for Ur success!
*Click link below*.
Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by erad(m): 11:04am On Sep 14, 2017
Lagboyinibadan:
Why should a logo design be 50k?
These graphic designers are extorting people, and that is why I went to learn how to do my designs myself.

Graphic designers are extorting people?
Do you really have any right to decide or have an opinion about what anybody decides to earn?
I would have loved to educate you but since you already stated you want to learn designs yourself, I'll rather your experience with that educates you.
Just because something is a skill doesn't mean sacrifices haven't been made.
And if you can support sports men/women earning as much as they do, then you've lost the moral justification to have an opinion on what anybody else decides to earn.
People pay millions for logo designs, of course they have the cheaper options available but unlike you, they appreciate quality and understand such quality doesn't come overnight.

Thank you.

5 Likes

Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by danieljr: 12:09pm On Sep 14, 2017
I wish to learn dis skills; hw do i get intouch...very very serious abt it.
Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by Oluwolex2000(m): 12:18pm On Sep 14, 2017
erad:

Graphic designers are extorting people?
Do you really have any right to decide or have an opinion about what anybody decides to earn?
I would have loved to educate you but since you already stated you want to learn designs yourself, I'll rather your experience with that educates you.
Just because something is a skill doesn't mean sacrifices haven't been made.
And if you can support sports men/women earning as much as they do, then you've lost the moral justification to have an opinion on what anybody else decides to earn.
People pay millions for logo designs, of course they have the cheaper options available but unlike you, they appreciate quality and understand such quality doesn't come overnight.

Thank you.

You are so right @EraD. Those few customers who appreciate the combination of text, line, colors and arts are readily willing to pay for any designs that they want so far you as the graphics man is up-to-date and of Quality delivery. Nobody has the right to tell me how much I should earn on a logo design or banner creation. You want QUALITY, then be ready to pay for it, You want QUANTITY be ready to also pay for it. But remember that your logo speaks lots about how serious your organization is, McDonald, BWM, Pepsi and the likes all have quality logos (Though might look simple).

It is also true that some graphics designer can be so hyper when it comes to that amount they charge for each work, you won't really blame us 'cus like it was earlier stated we learnt this graphics stuff via various ways. I remembered staying up all night for some months just to download videos and learn myself. To whom much is given, much is also expected.

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by erad(m): 1:46pm On Sep 14, 2017
Oluwolex2000:

You are so right @EraD. Those few customers who appreciate the combination of text, line, colors and arts are readily willing to pay for any designs that they want so far you as the graphics man is up-to-date and of Quality delivery. Nobody has the right to tell me how much I should earn on a logo design or banner creation. You want QUALITY, then be ready to pay for it, You want QUANTITY be ready to also pay for it. But remember that your logo speaks lots about how serious your organization is, McDonald, BWM, Pepsi and the likes all have quality logos (Though might look simple).

It is also true that some graphics designer can be so hyper when it comes to that amount they charge for each work, you won't really blame us 'cus like it was earlier stated we learnt this graphics stuff via various ways. I remembered staying up all night for some months just to download videos and learn myself. To whom much is given, much is also expected.

I once asked a client...
If you attended covenant university, eventually graduated and got a job of 20k per month, will you accept that offer?
He couldn't reply and I'm sure he got the message from then onwards.

But of course, I won't want to blame majority of them.
They are in Nigeria and if there's one thing I know about majority of Nigerians, They worship mediocrity.
That's why the possibility of the entertainment industry improving keeps getting bleaker daily.
They'll rather keep praising a copied meaningless song with beats they can dance to than a unique original deep song with meaningful content and moderate beats.
It's also very funny a lot of Nigerians want their businesses to become the next "Dangote group of companies" and will keep patronizing mediocrity all because they don't want to pay for value.
It's a sad reality but it's the reality we live in.
What is worth doing at all is worth doing well.
One doesn't have to have a bad experience before doing the right thing.

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by EkeneElectrons(m): 1:54pm On Sep 14, 2017
Cool
Re: 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer by Ijaya123: 3:42pm On Sep 14, 2017
Very valid points you've raised here.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Red Epic-x Camera For Hire (reasonable Rate In Nigeria) / No Industry Challenge On Nairaland Graphic Fourm / My Portfolio As A Graphics Designer For 2016 Follow If You Love Them.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.