Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,378 members, 7,800,759 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:04 AM

Can A Christian Be A Humanist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Christian Be A Humanist? (635 Views)

Can A Born Again Christian Be Affected By Past Curses And Ancestral Bondages? / Can A True Christian Be Actively Involved In Nigeria Politics As It Is Today? / I Am An Atheist And A Humanist. Ask Me Anything! Let's Talk! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Christian Be A Humanist? by superhumanist(m): 2:19pm On Sep 15, 2017
CAN A CHRISTIAN BE A HUMANIST?

This is a tricky question because there are many kinds of christians and the answer depends on the "type" of christian a person is. Simply put, the answer is "yes"- a christian can be a humanist but he or she must be a certain type of christian.

The type of christian that can be a humanist would have to have the following traits

*Accepting that christianity and other religions should be treated equally under the law
*Accepting that religion should not be a factor guiding government policy (Secularism)
*When dealing with others, the cost to human life supersedes any religious dogma or decree from "higher powers"

In short, the christian humanist knows to keep religion as a personal thing when dealing with others. He or she does not force christianity on others and uses logic to make decisions that affect others.

Unfortunately, very few christians are like this. Many cannot separate their religious life from their relationship with others. This especially describes many Nigerians who see life only through a religious lens.

By Superhumanist.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Be A Humanist? by superhumanist(m): 3:28pm On Sep 15, 2017
This also applies to islam. There is a good example of Maajid Nawaz, who is a muslim that is very secular and believes in human rights before religion.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Be A Humanist? by superhumanist(m): 4:24am On Sep 19, 2017
There is even a form of christianity called "christian humanism". However, one must be careful as "christian humanism" has many varying definitions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_humanism
Re: Can A Christian Be A Humanist? by Humanistme: 8:56am On Sep 19, 2017
anyone can be a humanist.
Re: Can A Christian Be A Humanist? by superhumanist(m): 4:34am On Sep 20, 2017
Humanistme:
anyone can be a humanist.

Anyone?

Can the KKK christians be humanists?
What about ultra conservative muslims who believe that infidels are inferior?
Re: Can A Christian Be A Humanist? by hopefulLandlord: 4:53am On Sep 20, 2017
can a Christian be a humanist? yes
Re: Can A Christian Be A Humanist? by superhumanist(m): 8:15am On Sep 20, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
can a Christian be a humanist? yes

Sir, did you read the op? The answer is far more than "yes"
Re: Can A Christian Be A Humanist? by hopefulLandlord: 8:16am On Sep 20, 2017
superhumanist:

Sir, did you read the op? The answer is far more than "yes"
TBH I didn't, I'll do that right away
Re: Can A Christian Be A Humanist? by ifenes(m): 8:48am On Sep 20, 2017
You are naturally a humanist,biased towards your own kind first before anything. It's pure instincts before a bit of religious brainwash that may or may not last long.
Re: Can A Christian Be A Humanist? by hopefulLandlord: 8:57am On Sep 20, 2017
Himanistme, I've read the OP, Fundamentalist Christians cannot be a humanist but nominal and other types can be
Re: Can A Christian Be A Humanist? by superhumanist(m): 10:20am On Sep 20, 2017
ifenes:
You are naturally a humanist,biased towards your own kind first before anything. It's pure instincts before a bit of religious brainwash that may or may not last long.

It is quite sad but true. I had a friend who joined one of these fundamentalist pentecostal churches. He changed from an extrovert to a paranoid preacher. He cut off most of his friends and now lives in company of his fellow church members.

See how religion turned a nice guy into a hate-filled paranoid lunatic.

It is not that I'm saying that religion always has negative outcomes. The issue is that typically, religion divides people into the "us VS them" narrative. Believers and non-believers.
Re: Can A Christian Be A Humanist? by superhumanist(m): 10:23am On Sep 20, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Himanistme, I've read the OP, Fundamentalist Christians cannot be a humanist but nominal and other types can be

Sir, please put more effort. I am not Humanistme (which you even misspelled). I am superhumanist. wink

(1) (Reply)

Rev. Fathers Will Contest Elections If Politicians Fail Again- Cathoilic Bishop / Christians Is Jesus Christ Still Alive Or Dead? / Sow into our ministry and get Connected,young Nigerian pastor says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.