Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,156 members, 7,807,523 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:41 PM

The Truth About The Hausas - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Truth About The Hausas (2968 Views)

Where Are The Hausas? / 'nigeria Was Built To Favour The Hausas/fulanis' - Asari Dokubo / Hausas Asking Igbos To Leave: See What Some Northern Youths Are Saying Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth About The Hausas by Twaci(f): 10:26am On Sep 18, 2017
Saw this article on Facebook and thought it's best to share here. It's quite long, but please read through patiently. Enjoy!

Last year I went to our major market to shop groceries for the house. I gathered all my groceries in one shop while the shop owner helped me to look for a "barrow pusher"

He got this Hausa teenager who agreed to carry my load at 100 naira. We got to the main road and he stopped, I pleaded with him to exercise patience while I find Maruwa that will agree to take me to my dreaded estate.

The Maruwa search lasted for about 10-15 minutes and for each minute I observed the Hausa boy's facial expression. He just stood patiently, seemingly calm and not even with the slightest irritation.

I finally found Maruwa and the boy assisted in loading my groceries inside the tricycle. Out of love, I gave the boy 200 naira and told him not to bother with the balance. He was happy and left.

Then, Onku Onye Keke turned to me
"How much did you give him?" he asked

Not quite sure I wanted to discuss it I replied "200 naira" flatly

"200 gini? For what? Onye Awusa? How can you dash him money like that yada yada bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla..."

"Oga please mind your business" undecided

Some months ago my Aunt went to the market to shop for groceries, she was standing beside a woman who was also shopping. Then a young Hausa boy walked past them from the back struggling with a wheel barrow full of groceries.

Fiam!!

The woman hit the boy on the shoulder

"Taaa!! Zuzuru shi ebe a puo! Onye Boko Haram, namar! (Get out of here Boko Haram boy, cow!)"

The boy looked at her helplessly wondering what he must have done wrong, every other person around there hurled insults at him for being an Hausa and automatically a Boko Haram member. My Auntie was angry and scolded the woman for being so mean

Few weeks ago, I was returning from work with my brother inside the same Maruwa. The driver had gotten to a point and was trying to park. Just then, two Hausa dudes were walking past our Maruwa chatting and laughing in their language. Then a guy sitting next to us shouted

"Taa Mechie onu dia!! Umu Awusa!! Ndi Zoo, ndi boko haram"

I'll stop here for now...

I'm no tribal person, I always prefer to be called a Christian or a Nigerian depending on the context than an Igbo.

Am I ashamed of my tribe? - Hell no! It is my identity but I have lived and mingled with virtually all the tribes in this country and I can say the only thing that differentiates us is culture - WE ARE ONE.

I use to think I couldn't marry an Edo man because THEY said Edo men are very proud and all that patriarchy shit until I met really cool sweet Edo dudes during youth service.
I met a couple of other great guys and girls and I just knew we were one, we only diverse in culture.

Arggggggghhhhhhhhh!!! Ada focus on the post!

Okay!

Are you looking for the most marginalized tribe in Nigeria?

Are you looking for that tribe which other tribes treat like shit?

Are you looking for that tribe that should be screaming for justice?

Meet the Hausa guys.

The average Hausa man is insulted, marginalized and seen as a national threat.

You want to cheat a marketer? The average Nigerian thinks the Hausa man deserves it.

You want to insult a random person? The average Nigerian remembers the guy who stoops to polish his shoes.

You want to give out your torn money? The average Nigerian remembers the Aboki that sells sugar cane.

Every Hausa man is a Muslim and thus a BokoHaram member.

Every Hausa man is an illiterate and deserves to be treated less after all "it is his brothers that are killing us"

YET!

If you are looking for an honest person - meet the Hausa man.

If you are looking for someone who will help you innocently - meet the Hausa man

I'm not here to argue, I only want to share with us what has been on my mind. When I see the average Hausa man, I see someone who finds happiness in the midst of pain. I see their innocence, I see how they are open in business, I admire the fact that an Hausa man would hardly cheat me.

I doubt, I so sincerely doubt if any other tribe can swallow the kind of insults we hurl on these guys per second both by words and actions.

It is so unfair to hate on an entire tribe because of a particular sect. It is unfair to take advantage of the mental vulnerability of some people. It is unfair to oppress innocent people because they are helpless.

It is unfair to think you are better than some people because you are educated and favored.

It is unfair to tag every Hausa man "Boko Haram" because not all are.

Let's stop the hate! Don't punish innocent people for sins they did not commit.

Treat them well, they are humans too.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1868043163213748&id=100000242486560

Cc: Lalasticlala

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by fk001(m): 10:33am On Sep 18, 2017
God bless you for this write up.

I don't know why people hate Hausa, i am not a Hausa man but i always respect that tribe

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by juman(m): 10:38am On Sep 18, 2017
Hmmm.

Most of those almajiris are hausas.

4 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by Mynd44: 10:39am On Sep 18, 2017
Actually, some parts of this article is right and some wrong.

Yes, a lot of Hausa people are marginalized but not because they are hausa. Nigerians dont hate Hausa people.

Nigerians hate poor people.

If the hausa boy that helped you was an Hausa man in an E class mercedes, the lake driver will offer to carry his bag for him.

Look at how Nigerians treat homosexuals, yes, they insult and will lynch them. Let then meet a rich homosexual, they will find an excuse. It will most likely be "when you have too much money, you dont think well"

Nigerians will easily burn a petty thief and even use their money to buy fuel but a lot of us were on social media asking for the release of Evans.

22 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by juman(m): 10:40am On Sep 18, 2017
There is nothing to be proud of this country.

Children of school age wasting away in many parts of the country.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by Twaci(f): 10:41am On Sep 18, 2017
Mynd44:

Yes, a lot of Hausa people are marginalized but not because they are hausa. Nigerians dont hate Hausa people.

If the hausa boy that helped you was an Hausa man in an E class mercedes, the lake driver will offer to carry his bag for him.

Look at how Nigerians treat homosexuals, yes, they insult and will lynch them. Let then meet a rich homosexual, they will find an excuse. It will most likely be "when you have too much money, you dont think well"

Nigerians will easily burn a petty thief and even use their money to buy fuel but a lot of us were on social media asking for the release of Evans.

Intelligent points!

6 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by juman(m): 10:42am On Sep 18, 2017
But remember the richest man in africa is an hausa person.

2 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by bakynes(m): 10:50am On Sep 18, 2017
I guess you live in the SE but I think there is too much hate filled Igbos than any other tribe in Nigeria. Not all but most, I don't want anybody to see this as tribalism,its just a fact. Maybe it's because of the scar left of by the Civil war but it's a fact so many Igbos are filled with hate.

Generally Speaking tribes from the South see poor Hausa people as inferior humans.

5 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by EmeeNaka: 10:54am On Sep 18, 2017
Insulting Hausa people physically must be a recent event and must be the outcome of Nnamdi Kanu inspired hate extremist view. when I was growing up, I know most of Hausa poor men as Aboki, and rich men as Mallam; none of those names intend to insult.
Re: The Truth About The Hausas by junketer(m): 10:54am On Sep 18, 2017
Mynd44:

you nailed it. Nothing more to add to this.

4 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by perez100: 10:59am On Sep 18, 2017
Dead thread! Afonja thrash! It was Igbos that killed those Corpers after 2011 Presidential elections in the North and not your Hausa Saints? It was Igbos that killed 12 innocent Anambarians holding family meeting in Adamawa State in 2013 and not your Hausa Saints? It was Igbos that beheaded Gideon Akaluka in 1995 and Gloria in the North and not your peaceful Hausa Saints? It was Igbos that have been bombing churches and killing people unprovoked in the North and not your Hausa Saints? The list continues and Igbos have lost over 3000 people in the North from 2011 to 2015 with properties destroyed but never retaliated yet hypocrite like you does not see and appreciate it.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by perez100: 11:05am On Sep 18, 2017
Southerners are BIG mumu despite their useless education. They will kill you today and tomorrow you praise them and blame Southerners. Mumu people!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by Nobody: 11:15am On Sep 18, 2017
This is the best post i have ever seen on Nairaland

3 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by perez100: 11:15am On Sep 18, 2017
Mumu South!
Re: The Truth About The Hausas by Nobody: 11:30am On Sep 18, 2017
Hausa are not boko haram,the boko haram are kanuri from borno.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by Nobody: 11:30am On Sep 18, 2017
perez100:
Southerners are BIG mumu despite their useless education. They will kill you today and tomorrow you praise them and blame Southerners. Mumu people!
including me
Re: The Truth About The Hausas by Michael004: 11:35am On Sep 18, 2017
[s]
perez100:
Dead thread! Afonja thrash! It was Igbos that killed those Corpers after 2011 Presidential elections in the North and not your Hausa Saints. It was Igbos that killed 12 innocent Anambarians holding family meeting in Adamawa State in 2013 and not your Hausa Saints. It was Igbos that beheaded Gideon Akaluka in 1995 and Gloria in the North and not your peaceful Hausa Saints. It was Igbos that have been bombing churches and killing people unprovoked in the North and not your Hausa Saints. The list continues and Igbos have lost over 3000 people in the North from 2011 to 2015 with properties destroyed but never retaliated yet hypocrite like you does not see and appreciate it.
[/s]I know there is no way they will not come here to call afonja, some of them are intelligent while 90% of them are stupid and senseless like this one. Do I blame you, definitely no. Your parents need to be asked a genuine question. Spit.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by Isaacmacdon(m): 11:37am On Sep 18, 2017
I totally agree about hausas being humble and down to earth. Most times, it depends on the individual. I do business with the Hausas and I can tell you how truthful and humble they are. An Igbo man is always looking for a way to cheat you in everything. Go to Alaba Intl market and you'd see the igbos at their greedy best; unless the ones that have become more loving and accommodating.

I agree with what you posted. Most Igbo people are cocky and filled with pride. Igbos are not marginalized; they are the most successful tribe in Nigeria. An average igbo man would never want to settle for less; even when he's starving. You need to see the way an average Igbo man behaves when he just wins a jackpot. He shouts down at anyone who dares to stand in his way. Nnamdi KANU is a clear description of an average Igbo man. He's cocky, proud, talkative etc. Such mentality is the reason why there's slow growth and development in the Southeast. Look at Peter obi and his repulsive behavior. He boasts about all he has done, while others has done more than he ever did. Sullivan Chime is a different kind of an Igbo man; he practically turned Enugu around.

My point is this: An Igbo man is always concerned about success, and that way he makes sure he gets it by all means; even if it means sacrificing his mother's head. Greed is also an issue.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by Nobody: 11:39am On Sep 18, 2017
perez100:

God bless you. These northern Muslims are murderous!
Re: The Truth About The Hausas by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 18, 2017
Isaacmacdon:
I totally agree about hausas being humble and down to earth. Most times, it depends on the individual. I do business with the Hausas and I can tell you how truthful and humble they are. An Igbo man is always looking for a way to cheat you in everything. Go to Alaba Intl market and you'd see the igbos at their greedy best; unless the ones that have become more loving and accommodating.

I agree with what you posted. Most Igbo people are cocky and filled with pride. Igbos are not marginalized; they are the most successful tribe in Nigeria. An average igbo man would never want to settle for less; even when he's starving. You need to see the way an average Igbo man behaves when he just wins a jackpot. He shouts down at anyone who dares to stand in his way. Nnamdi KANU is a clear description of an average Igbo man. He's cocky, proud, talkative etc. Such mentality is the reason why there's slow growth and development in the Southeast. Look at Peter obi and his repulsive behavior. He boasts about all he has done, while others has done more than he ever did. Sullivan Chime is a different kind of an Igbo man; he practically turned Enugu around.

My point is this: An Igbo man is always concerned about success, and that way he makes sure he gets it by all means; even if it means sacrificing his mother's head. Greed is also an issue.

You are also right here. But I can still manage the igbo cos I can contain him. As for the Hausa Muslim, o boy I fear them ooo.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by Isaacmacdon(m): 11:45am On Sep 18, 2017
Alcatraz005:

You are also right here. But I can still manage the igbo cos I can contain him. As for the Hausa Muslim, o boy I fear them ooo.
It depends on how you handle them.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by Nobody: 11:48am On Sep 18, 2017
Isaacmacdon:
It depends on how you handle them.
How do we handle them? Can't you see whAt they are doing to the South under Buhari? We need to sensitize the south now to save Christianity in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by fergie001: 11:49am On Sep 18, 2017
History/tradition can be written or oral.
The Igbos are let to know how Aguiyi-Ironsi died and all that.

Since the pogrom and subsequent incidents,in this country,we have not had an apolitical emotional roundtable.
The politicians who should be enforcers jump in to use ethnicity as a weapon.
Hausas are hated partly because they seem unbendable when it comes to their religion and tribe.Life,in generality should be one that should encompass all to live and lead with peace.
Youths went to the North to serve,one wrong statement from somebody ended the lives of those bright souls.
In a nutshell,in as much as I cherish oneness,the politicians aren't doing enough,in a plural society virtually all appointments are in a particular direction.
What is the job of NOA?
And all other agencies/parastatals that should preach peace?

We can get it right.
We just need emotional get-together.
Some people have things in mind they want to spill out.
So you cannot beat a child,and tell him/her not to cry.

This,though is condemnable by all standards.

3 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by Bari22: 11:53am On Sep 18, 2017
the write up is but truth
Re: The Truth About The Hausas by DabLord: 11:54am On Sep 18, 2017
perez100:
Dead thread! Afonja thrash! It was Igbos that killed those Corpers after 2011 Presidential elections in the North and not your Hausa Saints. It was Igbos that killed 12 innocent Anambarians holding family meeting in Adamawa State in 2013 and not your Hausa Saints. It was Igbos that beheaded Gideon Akaluka in 1995 and Gloria in the North and not your peaceful Hausa Saints. It was Igbos that have been bombing churches and killing people unprovoked in the North and not your Hausa Saints. The list continues and Igbos have lost over 3000 people in the North from 2011 to 2015 with properties destroyed but never retaliated yet hypocrite like you does not see and appreciate it.

8 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by Lloydfather(m): 12:03pm On Sep 18, 2017
Mynd44:

mynd44 u make me proud on this one.
if na like this all the mods will definitely by my pally
Re: The Truth About The Hausas by perez100: 12:07pm On Sep 18, 2017
I prefer you cheating me to killing me and destroying a way of life. We also know those who have been cheating others in government. #MumuSouth!
Re: The Truth About The Hausas by Nobody: 12:10pm On Sep 18, 2017
perez100:
I prefer you cheating me to killing me and destroying a way of life. We also know those who have been cheating others in government. #MumuSouth!

We must bind together, put our mutual distrust aside whether Yoruba or igbo, else they would make our generations Muslim.

God forbid!

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by Afam4eva(m): 12:14pm On Sep 18, 2017
I really don't understand where the writer is going with the article. I'm having a feeling that she feels that Hausas are the most marginalized just because people insult them. So, i'll address the issue on two fronts.

Marginalization is based on political and economic deprivation and not necessarily on an individual basis and because people from a particular group are insulted does not mean they are marginalized especially if the leaders from their areas control most of the political structures in the country.

Though i'll agree with your assertion as to how poor Hausa people are debased and the butt of everyone's jokes. The average Nigerian see them are uneducated and uninspiring people who have nothing to offer society, so they call them names such as Aboki (in jest) or gambari, boko haram and so on and every right thinking person should find such behaviors abhorrent.

I also find them to be the most kind and selfless people. I know because i've interacted with people from different tribes in Nigeria.

But that's where it ends.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Hausas by Amarabae(f): 12:19pm On Sep 18, 2017
Mtcheeeeew,
Re: The Truth About The Hausas by ZorGBUooeh: 12:30pm On Sep 18, 2017
perez100:
The afonja boy claiming igbo is sick in the head. just look at the rubbish right up.
Re: The Truth About The Hausas by JeffreyJamez(m): 4:32pm On Sep 18, 2017
Afam4eva:
I really don't understand where the writer is going with the article. I'm having a feeling that she feels that Hausas are the most marginalized just because people insult them. So, i'll address the issue on two fronts.

Marginalization is based on political and economic deprivation and not necessarily on an individual basis and because people from a particular group are insulted does not mean they are marginalized especially if the leaders from their areas control most of the political structures in the country.

Though i'll agree with your assertion as to how poor Hausa people are debased and the butt of everyone's jokes. The average Nigerian see them are uneducated and uninspiring people who have nothing to offer society, so they call them names such as Aboki (in jest) or gambari, boko haram and so on and every right thinking person should find such behaviors abhorrent.

I also find them to be the most kind and selfless people. I know because i've interacted with people from different tribes in Nigeria.

But that's where it ends.

If you want to see deprivation of all forms, go up North. Yet they don't scream marginalization. When igbos scream marginalization I tend to wonder what they want except Power. Because Igbos are Everywhere doing legitimate businesses without hindrance from anyone. The Eastern States get their monthly Federal revenue like every other state. So what is the marginalization they keep ranting about?.

9 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

How The Igbos Managed To Develop their War Torn Land Alone Makes Me Cry / Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions / Breaking: Court Declares Senator Hope Uzodinma Wanted (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.