Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,678 members, 7,801,959 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng (10876 Views)

Most Common Reasons For Engine Oil Leakage In Cars / Mercedes Spies On Drivers By Installing "Big Brother" Tracking Devices In Cars / Mohammed Ali: His Cars And Iconic Photos Of Him In Cars (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by AutoReportNG: 3:20pm On Sep 18, 2017
If your car is leaking oil, this is not something to ignore. Besides leaving stains on the pavement, an oil leak can even pose a fire risk for your car’s engine. If you see signs of leaking, it’s best to get an oil leak fix as soon as possible. Consider the most common reasons for car oil leaks.

Degraded Engine Gasket

[img]https://1.bp..com/-Dy1F-8bg3V4/Wb_REgsKtAI/AAAAAAAALUU/muzS2vXzaPsSJLsJNHejurPhypl1wYhEgCLcBGAs/s640/Degraded%2BEngine%2BGasket.png[/img]

The most common cause of oil leaks occurs when the gasket, which is a seal that joins two metal components in the engine, breaks down. This occurs because oil creates sludge over time, which is harmful to the gasket.

Oil Pan Damage

[img]https://4.bp..com/-ndx7vRTpA-Q/Wb_RaxXTKUI/AAAAAAAALUY/KKkeJ1TUIzk32SFKOVP4rwhZALnZmCgrgCLcBGAs/s640/Oil%2BPan%2BDamage.jpg[/img]

The underside of the oil pan can become damaged due to running over debris in the road, like large rocks. Such occurrences can dent the oil pan, and this can cause the seal to become loose and the oil to leak.

Oil Drain Plug

[img]https://2.bp..com/-TurBQ_iYT_U/Wb_R0XycK0I/AAAAAAAALUc/lZz1Qj1uQzsQ00py88LX_cthqn3Oc6bSQCLcBGAs/s640/filterandplug.jpg[/img]

The oil drain plug is located at the base of the oil pan. When it becomes worn out or is loosened from running over debris in the road, a leak will occur. Fresh oil around the plug is an indication of a leak, as is dripping.

Oil Filler Cap

[img]https://2.bp..com/-tdSi-3V-mDw/Wb_SJWAlgGI/AAAAAAAALUg/rRuXRppD2qchuI3ROh1F4ccZONQgrhmBACLcBGAs/s640/Oil%2BFiller%2BCap.jpg[/img]

If the filler cap, which covers the engine oil compartment, is loose, broken or missing, the oil is likely to spill out while the vehicle is running, and it will continue to drip after the car is stopped.

Oil Filter

[img]https://2.bp..com/-RR8vVNBTlxo/Wb_SbBXexmI/AAAAAAAALUk/AHSZY3BGOiIl1JATUtBgXBcxisICCGfngCLcBGAs/s640/Oil%2BFilter.jpg[/img]

Oil filters wear out or become loose or misaligned over time. The oil filter is used to remove carbon and other impurities created by the combustion process. This filter is subject to oil pressure supplied by the oil pump and will leak if the filter is loose or the seal from the old oil filter is still on the block which can surface well after the oil change has been done. Use a flashlight check the oil filter for a leak and remove or tighten the filter and recheck. Wipe the area clean and recheck the leak after a short time.

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/09/oil-leakage-in-cars-these-are-causes.html

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by AutoReportNG: 3:21pm On Sep 18, 2017
Whats your take? Do you have any addition? Please add
Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by Youngsage: 3:27pm On Sep 18, 2017
Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by Homeboiy: 3:36pm On Sep 18, 2017
Na your type the fall hand

ur good in theory but not practical

Do u know how to change gasket

3 Likes

Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by nurey(m): 3:39pm On Sep 18, 2017
Homeboiy:
Na your type the fall hand

ur good in theory but not practical

Do u know how to change gasket

Why the hate nah? must he know how to do any mechanical stuff before been an authority in cartalk?

8 Likes

Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by Alvin007: 4:30pm On Sep 18, 2017
What about cylinder cover seals, valve seals..and pulley seals..etc grin

1 Like

Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by AutoReportNG: 4:45pm On Sep 18, 2017
Alvin007:
What about cylinder cover seals, valve seals..and pulley seals..etc grin

Thanks, thats why I said, if you have any additions, add yours, we learn together bros.

Thank you

4 Likes

Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by TRYGO(m): 6:31pm On Sep 18, 2017
Nice writeup Sir!

I think all what you've discussed are some of the external causes.

But it would behoove you to note that internal oil leaks are somewhat masked by the externals, as you've highlighted.

*** If you've got a worn out valve stem/guides, and valves, you'd notice leaks too.

***piston rings not at advanced stage of wear and tear, would such leaks.

In some cases, its not visible, as the externals you've talked about, but you'd notice excessive oil shortages as time goes on.

Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by choky26(m): 6:54am On Sep 19, 2017
Ok
Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by maxiuc(m): 6:55am On Sep 19, 2017
Waiting for oil leakage in Tiger generator

That my I pass my neighbor gen can spill oil abeg what's the fault

3 Likes

Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by Nobody: 6:58am On Sep 19, 2017
Okay so the first gasket you shown is incorrect. That is the cylinder head gasket. If that is keaking then the car won't run. If the car won't run then no oil leak.

The one you wanted to list is the valve cover gasket.

That one is a notorious leaker especially on V and H engine engine configurations.
Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by Nobody: 7:03am On Sep 19, 2017
TRYGO:
Nice writeup Sir!

I think all what you've discussed are some of the external causes.

But it would behoove you to note that internal oil leaks are somewhat masked by the externals, as you've highlighted.

*** If you've got a worn out valve stem/guides, and valves, you'd notice leaks too.

***piston rings not at advanced stage of wear and tear, would such leaks.

In some cases, its not visible, as the externals you've talked about, but you'd notice excessive oil shortages as time goes on.

Valves don't leak oil.

If valve guides leak enough oil to notice a drop in volume then the car has stopped running a long time ago.
Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:15am On Sep 19, 2017
EgunMogaji:
Okay so the first gasket you shown is incorrect. That is the cylinder head gasket. If that is keaking then the car won't run. If the car won't run then no oil leak.

The one you wanted to list is the valve cover gasket.

That one is a notorious leaker especially on V and H engine engine configurations.

im happy somone noticed.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by Nobody: 7:20am On Sep 19, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

im happy somone noticed.

Yeah.

Also if one forgot to remove the old oil filter gasket and install a new filter with gasket what you'll get is instantaneous quarts of oil on the floor and not a leak.

Ask me how I know. Or not. grin
Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:27am On Sep 19, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Yeah.

Also if one forgot to remove the old oil filter gasket and install a new filter with gasket what you'll get is instantaneous quarts of oil on the floor and not a leak.

Ask me how I know. Or not. grin

you have experience nah cheesy

1 Like

Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by femi4: 7:28am On Sep 19, 2017
AutoReportNG:
Oil seals.....they expands over the time due to heat. In fact those seals are devil, as you are replacing one another one need your attention few months later
Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by Adewunmi2017(m): 7:29am On Sep 19, 2017
Oil seal.

1 Like

Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by erico2k2(m): 7:52am On Sep 19, 2017
AutoReportNG:
Oil would leak among any of its links where it finds a weak spot
1 vacuum pump
2 oil cooler
3 Solonoids
4 Main seal
5 crank shaft sensor
6 cam shaft sensor
Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by erico2k2(m): 7:53am On Sep 19, 2017
femi4:
Oil seals.....they expands over the time due to heat. In fact those seals are devil, as you are replacing one another one need your attention few months later
which of the oil seals ? There are up to 50 oil seals in some cars
Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by chris4gold(m): 8:06am On Sep 19, 2017
Nice 1
Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by femi4: 8:09am On Sep 19, 2017
erico2k2:

which of the oil seals ? There are up to 50 oil seals in some cars
If you have a car, you should know
Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by EdoBoy90(m): 8:16am On Sep 19, 2017
Nice in cars
Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by valarinz: 8:21am On Sep 19, 2017
Turbo seal(Volvo S60,XC90,)
Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by bfmconcepts: 8:38am On Sep 19, 2017
Bad Back Oil Seal. This is oil seal around the crank shaft.
The oil leaks between the transmission and the engine.
You need to bring down the transmission to fix this oil leakage

1 Like

Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by mexxy1(m): 8:57am On Sep 19, 2017
When you do copy and paste, try to reference the correct sources and not your blog.

Thank you.

http://www.thayerauto.com/news-events/top-reasons-why-cars-leak-oil.html

2 Likes

Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by moscobabs(m): 10:29am On Sep 19, 2017
Thank you bro.

Kazeem actually that Pan ''sumb''

@Nurey and Oga Gazzuz

please my car(quest 2000) Fan relay always burn ..is there any original relay for it? I have bought countless of relay for the fan but always burn

Please I need help o
Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by DUNKA(m): 10:30am On Sep 19, 2017
AutoReportNG:
If your car is leaking oil, this is not something to ignore. Besides leaving stains on the pavement, an oil leak can even pose a fire risk for your car’s engine. If you see signs of leaking, it’s best to get an oil leak fix as soon as possible. Consider the most common reasons for car oil leaks.

Degraded Engine Gasket

[img]https://1.bp..com/-Dy1F-8bg3V4/Wb_REgsKtAI/AAAAAAAALUU/muzS2vXzaPsSJLsJNHejurPhypl1wYhEgCLcBGAs/s640/Degraded%2BEngine%2BGasket.png[/img]

The most common cause of oil leaks occurs when the gasket, which is a seal that joins two metal components in the engine, breaks down. This occurs because oil creates sludge over time, which is harmful to the gasket.

Oil Pan Damage

[img]https://4.bp..com/-ndx7vRTpA-Q/Wb_RaxXTKUI/AAAAAAAALUY/KKkeJ1TUIzk32SFKOVP4rwhZALnZmCgrgCLcBGAs/s640/Oil%2BPan%2BDamage.jpg[/img]

The underside of the oil pan can become damaged due to running over debris in the road, like large rocks. Such occurrences can dent the oil pan, and this can cause the seal to become loose and the oil to leak.

Oil Drain Plug

[img]https://2.bp..com/-TurBQ_iYT_U/Wb_R0XycK0I/AAAAAAAALUc/lZz1Qj1uQzsQ00py88LX_cthqn3Oc6bSQCLcBGAs/s640/filterandplug.jpg[/img]

The oil drain plug is located at the base of the oil pan. When it becomes worn out or is loosened from running over debris in the road, a leak will occur. Fresh oil around the plug is an indication of a leak, as is dripping.

Oil Filler Cap

[img]https://2.bp..com/-tdSi-3V-mDw/Wb_SJWAlgGI/AAAAAAAALUg/rRuXRppD2qchuI3ROh1F4ccZONQgrhmBACLcBGAs/s640/Oil%2BFiller%2BCap.jpg[/img]

If the filler cap, which covers the engine oil compartment, is loose, broken or missing, the oil is likely to spill out while the vehicle is running, and it will continue to drip after the car is stopped.

Oil Filter

[img]https://2.bp..com/-RR8vVNBTlxo/Wb_SbBXexmI/AAAAAAAALUk/AHSZY3BGOiIl1JATUtBgXBcxisICCGfngCLcBGAs/s640/Oil%2BFilter.jpg[/img]

Oil filters wear out or become loose or misaligned over time. The oil filter is used to remove carbon and other impurities created by the combustion process. This filter is subject to oil pressure supplied by the oil pump and will leak if the filter is loose or the seal from the old oil filter is still on the block which can surface well after the oil change has been done. Use a flashlight check the oil filter for a leak and remove or tighten the filter and recheck. Wipe the area clean and recheck the leak after a short time.

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/09/oil-leakage-in-cars-these-are-causes.html

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun
nice one. Please what causes oil leakage into the coolant reservoir?
Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by honestivo(m): 10:44am On Sep 19, 2017
Nice one
Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by nurey(m): 10:46am On Sep 19, 2017
moscobabs:
Thank you bro.

@Nurey and Oga Gazzuz

please my car(quest 2000) Fan relay always burn ..is there any original relay for it? I have bought countless of relay for the fan but always burn

Please I need help o

if your fan starts blowing immediately you switch on your engine, then the connection has been rerouted, revert back to manufacturer specs and the relay/fuse will not blow if not you will just keep on changing and changing till you forget one day and car will overheat.
Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by erico2k2(m): 10:53am On Sep 19, 2017
femi4:
If you have a car, you should know
that narrative is similar to palm win bar talk . You said Oil Seal . I was marely asking which of the oil seals . Does everyone who owns a car know where thier Oil cooler Oil seal is?
Do you know where your vacuum pump oil seal is ? ?
So owning a car does not mean you would know where all your oil seals are.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:59am On Sep 19, 2017
moscobabs:
Thank you bro.

@Nurey and Oga Gazzuz

Please I need help o

wrong rating and fan is blowing consistently.

1 Like

Re: Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng by erico2k2(m): 11:06am On Sep 19, 2017
bfmconcepts:
Bad Back Oil Seal. This is oil seal around the crank shaft.
The oil leaks between the transmission and the engine.
You need to bring down the transmission to fix this oil leakage
killer one . That happens ypu.are in deep poo.
that Oil seal is cheap but labour intensive !

(1) (2) (Reply)

See How To Correctly Pronounce Car Brands Names / My Terrible Experience With Luvinhubby / Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.