Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,146 members, 7,807,472 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms (14343 Views)

We Will Now Carry Arms In Self Defence - Indigenous Peoples Of Biafra (IPOB) / Suspected Boko Haram Member Attacks Civil Defence Corps Officer In Anambra / CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by DatNiggaAk(m): 9:46am On Mar 02, 2010
‘Civil Defence Corps Now to Carry Arms’
From Kingsley Nwezeh in Abuja, 03.02.2010

Baring any further hitches, the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) would this year begin to carry arms in line with its mandate to complement the activities of other security agencies.
NSCDC, a para-military agency of the Federal Government was established to provide measures against threat and any form of attack or disaster on the nation and its citizenry. It is statutorily empowered by Act No. 2 of 2003 and amended by Act 6 of June, 2007.

Speaking on the occasion of the World Civil Defence Day held in Abuja yesterday, Minister of Interior, Alhaji Shettima Mustapha, said the internal security of the nation was of utmost importance and as such all measures would be put in place to ensure internal security.
This is coming on a day the House of Representatives said with the inclusion of the provision for the procurement of arms in the 2010 Appropriation Act, the organisation would be in a position to carry arms this year.

Mustapha, who spoke through the new Permanent Secretary in the Ministry, Mrs Dara Awosika, said ensuring the internal security of the nation was imperative if the external security of the nation would be guaranteed.
“If you do not protect the internal security of the country, you cannot talk about the external”, she said, noting that the preparedness of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps to collaborate with other security agencies depicted its readiness to assume its statutory functions including to carry arms in a safe manner.

Speaking in the same vein, a member of the House of Representatives Committee on Interior, Honourable Austin Nwachukwu, said the issue of arms for the NSCDC was already captured in the 2010 Budget and would soon be made available to the corps.

“In the 2010 Budget, arms for the agency was captured and is already provided for and you will soon have it”, he said, noting that other demands of organisation were being considered and would be adequately addressed.

In his remarks, Commandant-General of the Corps, Ade Abolurin, who showcased anti-vandalism, counter-terrorism equipment and other activities of the organisation, also noted that as soon as arms were made available to the organisation, it would be in a better position to discharge its responsibilities.
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by DatNiggaAk(m): 9:49am On Mar 02, 2010
SOME RESPONSES BY THE PUBLIC, [color=#006600][/color]

Fred
03.02.2010 10:26
I honestly don\'t get it. These people who call themselves law makers are out to make sure the looting continues. How can a group of scouts be allowed to carry guns we can hardly survive the police and the JTF and more illiterates are added to the list of internal terrorist. Someone should do something or we won\'t have a say in this country anymore

sylvester nomji
03.02.2010 10:24
This is unnecessary waste of resources. is it not enough that armed policemen and soldiers kill innocent Nigerians at will on a daily basis? Must we add the Civil defence to list of available killers? This is nonsense.

Ezeamama Anthony
03.02.2010 10:05
This is absolute madness.I see no reason why these men should bear arms.They should rather work hand in hand with the Police vigilante groups do. I can assure you that if you leave these men with arms.They will defintely abuse it. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by desgiezd(m): 9:56am On Mar 02, 2010
This means more accidental discharges!
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by DatNiggaAk(m): 10:12am On Mar 02, 2010
they should kuku give federal road safety guns too so they can act as highway patrols and customs.
they should also give traffic wardens guns to gun down traffic offenders.
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Shoot2Kill: 10:28am On Mar 02, 2010
Is it me or do the Nigerian armed forces have the ugliest uniforms in the world.I just had a look at the NSCDC website and i must say their uniform is a turn off  sad  Jeez,they look like refugees.

Why is Nigeria always backwards.Our police men,army,navy and airforce have terrible uniforms.Mr Jonathan show us that you have some sense and order mordern uniforms for our officials,please they look like slaves.You can start here slowpoke :

www.defenseindustrydaily.com

Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Shoot2Kill: 10:45am On Mar 02, 2010
If you guys are serious about making Nigeria look good and boosting the moral of public servantS,you have to meet up with international trends and stop acting like deranged monkeys.Yes i am talking to you Mr President ,when will my country have policemen that look like this and police cars that are modern and fast enough to chase armed robbers?

Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Shoot2Kill: 10:51am On Mar 02, 2010
More

Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Nobody: 11:16am On Mar 02, 2010
Shoot2Kill:

If you guys are serious about making Nigeria look good and boosting the moral of public servantS,you have to meet up with international trends and stop acting like deranged monkeys.Yes i am talking to you Mr President ,when will my country have policemen that look like this and police cars that are modern and fast enough to chase armed robbers?

was it not last month the minister of police affairs was telling nigerians that THE NIGERIA POLICE CANNOT SHOOT WELL.
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by sojjy: 11:19am On Mar 02, 2010
There's nothing bad if the civil defence carry arms but the most important question that is begging for urgent answer is 'how  the arms will be used witout recording civilians casualties.Have they bn trained on how to use guns?Let them employ expert that wl train and educate the civil defence corps members on how to use the arms.This wl surely help in complementing the effort of the police force.It's a welcome development.
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Nobody: 11:43am On Mar 02, 2010
sojjy:

There's nothing bad if the civil defence carry arms but the most important question that is begging for urgent answer is 'how  the arms will be used witout recording civilians casualties.Have they bn trained on how to use guns?Let them employ expert that wl train and educate the civil defence corps members on how to use the arms.This wl surely help in complementing the effort of the police force.It's a welcome development.
if not for the corrupt nature of the nigeria police,i would have preferred their integration to it.there is no way police will not clash with them and kill them.last month in edo state,they clash with soldiers and kill two of them.if not for the timely intervention of the governor,there would have been serious bloodshed.carrying arms is not a big deal but managing those carrying the arms is more important
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Shoot2Kill: 11:52am On Mar 02, 2010
~Bluetooth:

if not for the corrupt nature of the nigeria police,i would have preferred their integration to it.there is no way police will not clash with them and kill them.last month in edo state,they clash with soldiers and kill two of them.if not for the timely intervention of the governor,there would have been serious bloodshed.carrying arms is not a big deal but managing those carrying the arms is more important

It is because we don’t have good trainers in the police force anymore and i doubt that they have dedicated shooting courses in the academies. Nigeria has become so rotten that we no longer have disciplined teachers, trainers and instructors. I suggest that the Nigerian Government should hire trainers from the NYPD or Scotland Yard to come and re-train our policemen.

In regards to shooting, i am a qualified marksman and someone like me can train these guys to sharp shoot but they still need discipline to be able to know when to respond with deadly force and when not to. The reality of the matter however is that someone like me will never get the job because the corrupt head of police will rather hire his village hunter relatives to train the cadets.Stay frosty!
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Nobody: 12:01pm On Mar 02, 2010
Shoot2Kill:

It is because we don’t have good trainers in the police force anymore and i doubt that they have dedicated shooting courses in the academies. Nigeria has become so rotten that we no longer have disciplined teachers, trainers and instructors. I suggest that the Nigerian Government should hire trainers from the NYPD or Scotland Yard to come and re-train our policemen.

In regards to shooting, i am a qualified marksman and someone like me can train these guys to sharp shoot but they still need discipline to be able to know when to respond with deadly force and when not to. The reality of the matter however is that someone like me will never get the job because the corrupt head of police will rather hire his village hunter relatives to train the cadets.Stay frosty!
are you a policeman wannabe
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Shoot2Kill: 12:09pm On Mar 02, 2010
~Bluetooth:

are you a policeman wannabe

Nope , just a gun lover grin
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Nobody: 12:19pm On Mar 02, 2010
Shoot2Kill:

militant or boko haram?
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by DatNiggaAk(m): 12:59pm On Mar 02, 2010
Shoot2Kill:

certainly not based in Naija,
we don't have gun lovers here.
we have gun users,
what purpose would the civil defense serve?
[b][/b]
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by bibiking1(m): 1:08pm On Mar 02, 2010
I believe the Man-O-War should also be invited to the party! The Nigerien on my street would look good with an AK-47 also. This is sweet, lovely, beautiful. The weaponization of Nigeria if you ask me!
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by bibiking1(m): 1:18pm On Mar 02, 2010
@Shoot2Kill,,, your hubby interests me, in a trepidatory sort of way that is. You are not a member of any legal armed force, yet you 'love' guns?
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by proudly9ja(m): 1:22pm On Mar 02, 2010
bibiking1:

I believe the Man-O-War should also be invited to the party! The Nigerien on my street would look good with an AK-47 also. This is sweet, lovely, beautiful. The weaponization of Nigeria if you ask me!

sad but thats the truth.

Rather than talk about the numerous accidental discharges and illegal killing of innocent Nigerians, dey want to arm Civil Defense people again? In a saner world, they would first train these guys for many years not just on how to handle the gun but also how to know when to use it. But these guys have already made money available for the procurement of weapons.

Shame!
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by ishmael(m): 1:47pm On Mar 02, 2010
Why arm civil defence? that means they are no longer civil defence but soldiers. na wa for nigeria. Very soon boys scout and boys brigade will be carrying arms in nigeria. May God help us.
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by ishmael(m): 2:06pm On Mar 02, 2010
See RAF guys, very neat and smart. But our Nigerian Air Force guys are like sick cows where ever you see them in their shabby uniforms like boys scout.

Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Abagworo(m): 4:20pm On Mar 02, 2010
haha.i laugh
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Jakumo(m): 4:42pm On Mar 02, 2010
Shoot2Kill:

Diverting off topic for a moment, Shoot-to-kill, tell us some more about your marksmanship credentials. What is your favourite weapon for close quarters dialog, and what rig would you choose for the ideal 250-yard shot ?

Do you buy factory rounds, or do you hand-load ? Do you hunt in Africa, and if you do, what critters do you go after ? Finally, have you ever been forced to light anyone up in self defense ?

With a name like Shoot-to-kill, you OWE us a complete dissertation on the gentleman's art of blowing chit up. Enquiring minds want to know. Lock and load !
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by ishmael(m): 5:27pm On Mar 02, 2010
na dem sabi. Let our NYSC members should be armed too.
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Iranoladun(f): 7:16pm On Mar 02, 2010
Jakumo you and shoot-to-kill should open a thread on 'the art & science of shooting'

@topic, Naija government official is only interested in the contract for the weapon/armoury and not the appropriateness o 'Civil Defence Corp' carrying gun
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Fhemmmy: 7:21pm On Mar 02, 2010
Iranoladun:

Jakumo you and shoot-to-kill should open a thread on 'the art & science of shooting'

@topic, Naija government official is only interested in the contract for the weapon/armoury and not the appropriateness o 'Civil Defence Corp' carrying gun

Ummmmmm
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Nobody: 7:33pm On Mar 02, 2010
Jakumo:

Diverting off topic for a moment, Shoot-to-kill, tell us some more about your marksmanship credentials. What is your favourite weapon for close quarters dialog, and what rig would you choose for the ideal 250-yard shot ?

Do you buy factory rounds, or do you hand-load ? Do you hunt in Africa, and if you do, what critters do you go after ? Finally, have you ever been forced to light anyone up in self defense ?

With a name like Shoot-to-kill, you OWE us a complete dissertation on the gentleman's art of blowing chit up. Enquiring minds want to know. Lock and load !

i'll bet all his shooting is limited to his playstation controller cheesy
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Fhemmmy: 7:37pm On Mar 02, 2010
oyb:

Lol . . . rolling on the floor.
U mean real shooters dont make noise about it?
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Jakumo(m): 7:40pm On Mar 02, 2010
oyb:

Ha ha ha   I never realised that Playstation and Grand Theft Auto video games don't count as combat experience.  And there I was, getting all excited about buying one of those products to rack up a few virtual kills.
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Fhemmmy: 7:41pm On Mar 02, 2010
Jakumo:

Ha ha ha   I never realised that Playstation and Grand Theft Auto video games don't count as combat experience.  And there I was, getting all excited about buying one of those products to rack up a few virtual kills.  

Lol . . . knock urself out
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by Baro(m): 11:01pm On Mar 02, 2010
Nigerian government always like to duplicate institutions, all for their ulterior motives. The Police if reformed and properly equipped can do the job. We the populace do not need Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) for any reason, it is the politicians that need it; mostly for election rigging, intimidation of opponents, and access to arms and ammunition.

Besides, as someone already stated, there will certainly be incessant clashes between them and the Police, due to conflict in their duties, this is because the Police Act already empowered the Police to do what the said NSCDC has also been commissioned to do. So, why not use the money spent on the establishment, and funding of the NSCDC to upgrade the police? Nigerian rulers simply need a variety of armed personnel to continue to use to enslave, oppress, maim and kpuff the masses.
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by strangleyo: 11:04pm On Mar 02, 2010
You can't arm our police with AAA class weapons and gear when they are a bunch of illiterate retards.

If you want to be a police officer in a "normal" country, the proper procedure is to test the officers for literacy, math, logic questions. They have to gain certain certification. CPR, basic medical training, driving skills, mental response, a long list indeed.

Then, we can talk about arming them.

The problem is all the money that's supposed to go to the police is siphoned off by greedy cunts.
Re: What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms by olugbenga4(m): 4:59pm On Aug 20, 2010

(1) (2) (Reply)

Aregbesola Announces 'O’Elders' N10,000 Monthly Allowance / Senator Kabir Marafa: "We Know The Zamfara Criminals But Can't Name Them" / Zoning Controversy: Why APC Presidential Primary Will Be Open To All Aspirants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.