Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:33 AM

What To Do When You See An Unknown Corpse On The Road - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What To Do When You See An Unknown Corpse On The Road (682 Views)

Man Dies After He Was Bitten By A Snake 'Sent' By An Unknown Person (Photos) / Dead Man "Breathing" In Imo After Corpse Was Exhumed 1 Year After His Death / 150 People Died In Kano From An Unknown Disease (2) (3) (4)

What To Do When You See An Unknown Corpse On The Road by wolewole200(m): 12:15pm On Sep 23, 2017
#What to Do
When You See an Unknown Corpse (Pauper)
Often times I receive calls from members of the public who found dead and decomposing body of unidentified or unknown person in their environment or along the road.

This is one of the public health responsibility of the Environmental Health Officers.

When you come across any unidentified or unknown corpse around your area or along the road, this is what you should do:

#Don't touch the body with your hands or anything at all, that is not your job. If fact, the deceased might have died from a contagious or communicable disease. Diseases such as Lassa fever, Ebola fever and many others become more virulent on dead bodies.

#Depending on your location, inform the nearest Police station to the area where the pauper is found.

#The Police has the duty to conduct an investigation into the death of the individual to establish the identity.

#On the other hand, you may report to the nearest Environmental health office in the Local government where the pauper is found.

#Environmental Health Officers have the responsibility to also report the case to the Police after confirming it themselves.

#After the Police must have issued a "Warrant to Bury" duly signed by a Magistrate to the EHO, he proceeds to bury the pauper in the government cemetery.

Don't just 'waka pass', ensure that you report cases of unknown dead bodies to the appropriate quarters.
Tell the EHO, that's why he is there.

Always report cases of environmental health infractions to the Environmental Health Office close to you.

#Wolewole.com.ng
Re: What To Do When You See An Unknown Corpse On The Road by thesicilian: 12:20pm On Sep 23, 2017
Slow down, take a look and zoom off.
Re: What To Do When You See An Unknown Corpse On The Road by Nobody: 12:35pm On Sep 23, 2017
don't Waka pass

leave that place asap

just jejely go your way

if you stop it's at your own risk!
Re: What To Do When You See An Unknown Corpse On The Road by wolewole200(m): 1:46pm On Sep 23, 2017
Evaberry:
don't Waka pass

leave that place asap

just jejely go your way

if you stop it's at your own risk!

Haba! Nigerians!
Reporting to the appropriate authority will help reduce nuisance that would have hitherto being created.

I understand our phobia for the men in black, but that was why I said you can also report to the nearest Environmental Health Officer in the Local government.

Re: What To Do When You See An Unknown Corpse On The Road by JohnNgene: 3:59pm On Sep 23, 2017
Reporting to the Nigeria Police could be risky o! Lol. No Nigerian wants to be writing statements at the station or wants to be called as a witness in court. So I prefer reporting to an Environmental Health Officer as you've recommended. Or even better still, taking a picture of the corpse and posting it here on Nairaland. Lol. Nairaland is a powerful forum. I'm sure all the right authorities will do something about it.

Re: What To Do When You See An Unknown Corpse On The Road by wolewole200(m): 8:47pm On Sep 23, 2017
JohnNgene:
Reporting to the Nigeria Police could be risky o! Lol. No Nigerian wants to be writing statements at the station or wants to be called as a witness in court. So I prefer reporting to an Environmental Health Officer as you've recommended. Or even better still, taking a picture of the corpse and posting it here on Nairaland. Lol. Nairaland is a powerful forum. I'm sure all the right authorities will do something about it.

I may have to agree with you on the risky part though. But often times, offensive odour from the dead body may force you to make report especially if the corpse is in the immediate environment.

As long as its not death from gun shots or headless, it has nothing to do with going to court as witness. What is really important at this point is the prevention of outbreak of diseases.
Re: What To Do When You See An Unknown Corpse On The Road by WeirdWolf: 10:24am On Sep 24, 2017
Be careful in a country like Nigeria...
It's safer to call a radio station esp. Nigeria info, or use twitter, or something...

You fit buy market wey no concern u esp if u don't look rich or very response or learned, u could be a suspect.

Live in peace in this country.
Anything can happen in ur favour or against u, irrespective of ur involvement...

If u hear stories you'd be shocked. Report physically in Nigeria, at ur own risk.

My take. *drops mic*

Early Signs That Cancer Is Growing In Your Body / See How To Naturally Cure Diabetes. / Itchy Nipples: Causes And Solutions