Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,837 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:23 PM

Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? (13263 Views)

2015 Top 20 Richest Nigerian Musicians, See Their Net Worth / Where Are These Nigerian Musicians? (Pictures) / Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Mar 07, 2010
riversman:

Dead na your Papa, i sweat his latest track "Aids Killed me" is a hell banger, your momsy told me that, grin grin grin

me sef get mouf, OPONU oshi,
Oh my!! You definitely get mouth.

NEXT. . . .!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Mar 07, 2010
FLGators and Eldee, I dont need to rely on "supporters" after I'm not running for mayor!

Typical angry Jamaican, my a.rse. Nice try. Thats the best come back you can think of for being called out? If anybody is ashamed it's fellow Nigerians witnessing you two being prejudiced, it is YOU who needs to raise up out of my face. You are childish. Eldee called me a name and you are just as pathetic as him for not checking his ignorant arse on it. I am reasoning quite well it is you who can't rise to the occasion. Keep hating. We need the publicity.  grin I wont waste anymore of my time on you two mongrels.

Riversmann
big up yourself  smiley

Back on topic:

I think Nigerian artists can make it on an international scale. As I stated before dont be afraid to intermingle with other nationalities. Get your names out there and soon enough it will draw people to dig deep and try to figure out more about your culture. Works like a charm. Nigeria is full of talented youth; even those out side of Nigeria so I don't see why not.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 07, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

FLGators and Eldee, I dont need to rely on "supporters" after I'm not running for mayor!

Typical angry Jamaican, my a.rse. Nice try. Thats the best come back you can think of for being called out? If anybody is ashamed it's fellow Nigerians witnessing you two being prejudiced, it is YOU who needs to raise up out of my face. You are childish. Eldee called me a name and you are just as pathetic as him for not checking his ignorant arse on it. I am reasoning quite well it is you who can't rise to the occasion. Keep hating. We need the publicity.  grin I wont waste anymore of my time on you two mongrels.

Back on topic:

I think Nigerian artists can make it on an international scale. As I satated before dont be afraid to intermingle with other nationalities. Get your names out there and soon enough it will draw people to dig deep and try to figure out more about your culture. Works like a charm. Nigeria is full of talented youth; even those out side of Nigeria so I don't see why not.

Your opinion has been heard and well appreciated. If you have anymore complains, plz forward it to the owner of this site at seun@gmail.com

Thank you for your service, have a good day, madam.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Mar 07, 2010
^tek weh yuself.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Mar 07, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

^tek weh yuself.
Yes maam. Have a nice day again
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by eldee(m): 6:14pm On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

Your opinion has been heard and well appreciated. If you have anymore complains, plz forward it to the owner of this site at seun@gmail.com

Thank you for your service, have a good day, madam.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

PEACH!!!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chic2pimp(m): 6:23pm On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

Majek Fashek, Nnkena and KSA?

Who da hell are those? Just heard about Majek Fashek yest.

Recognized where? In your village abi?

King Sunny Ade
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Mar 07, 2010
Love you guys too. kiss

this is kind of off topic but you all talk kind of like Sierra Leoneans and Liberians. I've noticed that recently. . .just thought I'd mention that.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 07, 2010
chic2pimp:

King Sunny Ade
Ohhh, I loff King Sunny Ade. Never heard of him being called KSA.

Have you heard WAIT FOR ME ?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

I loff that song too. I cant get over that song. Its always evergreen  kiss kiss
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chiogo(f): 6:33pm On Mar 07, 2010
What a thread!!  grin

@poster, I get your point if you're talking of faking accents. So irritating especially when you can't do it right AND have no affiliation whatsoever with the country whose accent you're imitating.

But when it comes to videos, I say go right ahead, Naija music videos as well as home videos tend to have very poor quality, poorly organized so if they wanna emulate Americans, sure why not? And don't tell me they incorporated the nudity from American and Jamaican videos because people wore less clothing in the olden days in Nigeria.

@the argument between Mzdarkskin, Eldee, and co. . . .I'll say that Jamaican music is appreciated in America mostly by youths. Reggae is played more at parties than Hip hop music, it's a fact. But American music generally tops the charts, why? America likes to be on top of everyone else.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by eldee(m): 6:36pm On Mar 07, 2010
chiogo:

@the argument between Mzdarkskin, Eldee, and co. . . .I'll say that Jamaican music is appreciated in America mostly by youths. Reggae is played more at parties than Hip hop music, it's a fact. But American music generally tops the charts, why? America likes to be on top of everyone else.

What kind of parties do you go to that have Reggae spinning more than hiphop??
Do they also have people with long hair smoking cannabis?? grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Mar 07, 2010
eldee:

Do they also have people with long hair smoking cannabis?? grin grin
Its usually a Frat party. College students, drinks, a lil smoke smoke.
Stripper dress, bang bang. . . . etc.

Actually Reggae songs are popular with the young generation. . . .
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chic2pimp(m): 6:38pm On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

Yep.
Grew up listening to the likes of KSA, Ebenezer Obey and Motown Records.
I loff the tone of onyeka's voice.

MzDarkSkin:

Love you guys too. kiss

We Too  kiss kiss kiss grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Mar 07, 2010
chic2pimp:

Yep.
Grew up listening to the likes of [b]KSA, Ebenezer Obey [/b]and Motown Records.

OMGGGG, Me too.

Mainly because they're still Nigerians, not wannabees like our current artists.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chiogo(f): 6:42pm On Mar 07, 2010
eldee:

Do they also have people with long hair smoking cannabis??  grin grin
Nope, college parties and my school is 'diverse' - Whites, Blacks(Africans, AA's, Caribbeans), Asians all go to these parties.

Trust me I'm very particular about my hip hop music and the majority of the songs played are reggae.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by eldee(m): 6:43pm On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

Its usually a Frat party. College students, drinks, a lil smoke smoke.
Stripper dress, bang bang. . . . etc.

Actually Reggae songs are popular with the young generation. . . .

I know Bob Marley/80s reggae is popular with our generation.
That's why I kept talking about modern Jamaican music.

Those parties are legendary . . . if you mean the Asher Roth(I love College) type.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

chic2pimp:

Yep.
Grew up listening to the likes of KSA, Ebenezer Obey and Motown Records.

FL Gators:

OMGGGG, Me too.

I wasn't born when those songs came out, but bhoy!!! I love to rock em songs so much  smiley smiley smiley
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by riversman: 6:46pm On Mar 07, 2010
@ FL Gators - plizzzs shut ur trap, if u really knew the King, you would know KSA , hisss!!!

small children tryna argue naija music, better go back to ur gainesville abi na wherever UF dey, whack gators
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Mar 07, 2010
ifedy:

I wasn't born when those songs came out, but bhoy!!! I love to rock em songs so much  smiley smiley smiley
Did you also use to listen to them on Sundays, while doing your chores before going to church?
Mehn, I miss home. Someone's always singing or humming while working.The radio is always playing with the best Obeg songs. Yinka Ayefele, Funmi Aragbaye, KSA, Obey, etc. . . .

OMO PUPA

eldee:

I know Bob Marley/80s reggae is popular with our generation.
That's why I kept talking about modern Jamaican music.

Those parties are legendary . . . if you mean the Asher Roth(I love College) type.
Never been to a Frat party, but you can hear the booming reggae sounds and beats. And they sound like the current ones.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

Did you also use to listen to them on Sundays, while doing your chores before going to church?
Mehn, I miss home. Someone's always singing or humming while working.The radio is always playing with the best Obeg songs. Yinka Ayefele, Funmi Aragbaye, KSA, Obey, etc. . . .

OMO PUPA
Never been to a Frat party, but you can hear the booming reggae sounds and beats. And they sound like the current ones.

I listen to them anytime, even in class. Those oldies songs make sense die.
And I remember when Sir Shina Peters (SSP) used to be the ish at bday parries then. smiley smiley smiley
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chiogo(f): 6:56pm On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

Def. current ones. Never heard any Bob Marley oo.  cheesy
I'm sure Marley was the whachamacaalit? 'introspective' type. These songs are just buck-wild, fast-paced with loud beats.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Mar 07, 2010
ifedy:

I listen to them anytime, even in class. Those oldies songs make sense die.
And I remember when Sir Shina Peters (SSP) used to be the ish at bday parries then. smiley smiley smiley
LOL nice!
Never heard of Sir Shina Peters, will search him on youtube. cheesy

chiogo:

Def. current ones. Never heard any Bob Marley oo.  cheesy
I'm sure Marley was the whachamacaalit? 'introspective' type. These songs are just buck-wild, fast-paced with loud beats.
Abi o, and you just wanna scream, lower the freaking volume angry embarassed
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chiogo(f): 7:00pm On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

Abi o, and you just wanna scream, lower the freaking volume angry embarassed
I don catch you! How do you know if you haven't been to a Frat party? tongue
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Mar 07, 2010
chiogo:

I don catch you! How do you know if you haven't been to a Frat party? tongue
lol neva been dia. You can hear them. The Frat houses are closes to the campus
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chic2pimp(m): 7:01pm On Mar 07, 2010
chiogo:

Nope, college parties and my school is 'diverse' - Whites, Blacks(Africans, AA's, Caribbeans), Asians all go to these parties.

Trust me I'm very particular about my hip hop music and the majority of the songs played are reggae.

Slow Jamz, Soul and Rythmn & Blues(old skool) are the Genre of music often played in the majority of parties I attend.

FL Gators:

OMGGGG, Me too.

I no dey follow you go that area grin grin grin

ifedy:

For Real?
How old are you?

FL Gators:

Mon - fridays = Whilst getting ready for school
Saturday = All day long
Sunday = Before and After Church
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

LOL nice!
Never heard of Sir Shina Peters, will search him on youtube. cheesy

Really Guess you were not born in naija then. That was the song this present generation danced to while growing up
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 07, 2010
Edited.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Mar 07, 2010
chic2pimp:

For Real?
How old are you?

Yeah for shizzle  tongue tongue
I think i wasnt born yet undecided undecided undecided undecided
Am in my early twenties
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Mar 07, 2010
ifedy:

Really Guess you were not born in naija then. That was the song this present generation danced to while growing up
I was oh, I rem always asking my mom to send me back to spend my teen years dia

chic2pimp:

Mon - fridays = Whilst getting ready for school
Saturday = All day long
Sunday = Before and After Church
LOL I cant imagine you listening to Obey sha. cheesy

ifedy:

Yeah for shizzle  tongue tongue
I think i wasnt born yet undecided undecided undecided undecided
Am in my early twenties
then I def wasnt born yet then
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chiogo(f): 7:12pm On Mar 07, 2010
chic2pimp:

Slow Jamz, Soul and Rythmn & Blues(old skool) are the Genre of music often played in the majority of parties I attend.
Aren't you in the UK? But still, that's weird considering everybody in UK be tryna speak with a Jamaican accent  grin I figured their music would be heavily influenced at the parties.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

D'banj And Mo'hits Records Crew In Illuminati Plot To Turn Nigeria GA.Y / Mtn Thank You Nigeria Song (download) / (DOWNLOAD MP3) Teefamous – Wonder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.