Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:41 AM

Oba Orisa - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Oba Orisa (2421 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Worships Orisa Ososi At Ile Ife / How To Awaken Orisa? / Ibeji Orisa, Itan, Ebos (sacrifices) And Incantations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oba Orisa by Babalawos(m): 7:25pm On Sep 24, 2017
Aboru Aboye

Today I will be teaching you about Oba Orisa. Oba cut off her ear to serve to her husband Shango as food because Oshun has convinced her this will secure Shango's attention.

Once Shango sees the ear and realizes Oba has mutilated herself, he chases her from his house.

Grieving, she became the Oba river which intersects with the Oshun river at turbulent rapids, a symbol of the rivalry between the two wives. The Oba River flows through Iwo, that is why the Iwo people are called the children of the River Oba (Iwo Olodo Oba).

Thank you for reading, leave your comment

Babalawos

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Orisa by iamgenius(m): 7:53pm On Sep 24, 2017
Rubbish Tales...
Re: Oba Orisa by Redomi(m): 9:48pm On Sep 26, 2017
Nice one. Addict Babalawo follower
Re: Oba Orisa by cjfbn: 2:25am On Sep 28, 2017
Stories about how a woman changed into a river.kontinue
Re: Oba Orisa by Taiwo20(m): 4:38am On Sep 30, 2017
the whites have their myths, stories and culture too... bit we Africans... I don't understand
Re: Oba Orisa by Babalawos(m): 8:18am On Sep 30, 2017
What exactly you don't understand? Africans has the best culture in the world. Sooner you realize it the better for you

Taiwo20:
the whites have their myths, stories and culture too... bit we Africans... I don't understand
Re: Oba Orisa by Babalawos(m): 8:21am On Sep 30, 2017
You don't believe that but you believed jesus died and rose again huh?

cjfbn:
Stories about how a woman changed into a river.kontinue
Re: Oba Orisa by butterflyl1on: 8:22am On Sep 30, 2017
Babalawos:
Aboru Aboye

Today I will be teaching you about Oba Orisa. Oba cut off her ear to serve to her husband Shango as food because Oshun has convinced her this will secure Shango's attention.

Once Shango sees the ear and realizes Oba has mutilated herself, he chases her from his house.

Grieving, she became the Oba river which intersects with the Oshun river at turbulent rapids, a symbol of the rivalry between the two wives. The Oba River flows through Iwo, that is why the Iwo people are called the children of the River Oba (Iwo Olodo Oba).

Thank you for reading, leave your comment

Babalawos

But babalawos if she had the power to change to a river all this while why then would she need to cut off her ear? She would just take it off and put it back on at will na or am I missing something?

Someone who has the power to become a river does not need a knife to cut with.
Re: Oba Orisa by Babalawos(m): 8:26am On Sep 30, 2017
There is something called taboo (etutu) in ATR. Some things cannot be explained to the non initiate.

butterflyl1on:

But babalawos if she had the power to change to a river all this while why then would she need to cut off her ear? She would just take it off and put it back on at will na or am I missing something?

Someone who has the power to become a river does not need a knife to cut with.
Re: Oba Orisa by butterflyl1on: 8:32am On Sep 30, 2017
Babalawos:
There is something called taboo (etutu) in ATR. Some things cannot be explained to the non initiate.

Who says I am not an initiate?

Iwori teju mo ohun ti nse ni
Bi o ba te Ita tan
Ki o tun iye e re te
Awo, ma fi eja igba gun ope
Awo, ma fi aimowe wo odo
Awo, ma fi ibinu yo obe
Awo, ma ji kanjukanju jaye
Awo, ma fi warawara mkun ola
Awo, maseke, sodale
Awo, ma puro jaye
Awo, ma se igberaga si agba
Awo, ma so ireti nu
Awo, ma san bante Awo
Awo, bi o ba tefa tan
Ki o tun iye e re te o
Re: Oba Orisa by Babalawos(m): 8:39am On Sep 30, 2017
Ogbó, Ató, Asure, Ìwòrì wòfún

What Odu appeared for you during your initiation?

Babalawos

butterflyl1on:

Who says I am not an initiate?

Bi o ba te Ita tan
Ki o tun iye e re te
Awo, ma fi eja igba gun ope
Awo, ma fi aimowe wo odo
Awo, ma fi ibinu yo obe
Awo, ma ji kanjukanju jaye
Awo, ma fi warawara mkun ola
Awo, maseke, sodale
Awo, ma puro jaye
Awo, ma se igberaga si agba
Awo, ma so ireti nu
Awo, ma san bante Awo
Awo, bi o ba tefa tan
Ki o tun iye e re te o
Re: Oba Orisa by butterflyl1on: 8:47am On Sep 30, 2017
Babalawos:
Ogbó, Ató, Asure, Ìwòrì wòfún

What Odu appeared for you during your initiation?

Babalawos

Eji Ogbe
Re: Oba Orisa by Babalawos(m): 10:12am On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Eji Ogbe

Laugh, I ask you again "what Odu appeared for you during your initiation?
Re: Oba Orisa by orisa37: 12:34pm On Sep 30, 2017
Good
Re: Oba Orisa by orisa37: 2:36pm On Sep 30, 2017
Love is a Spirit. Hate also is a Spirit. The two always stand back to back or face each other. Only God(The Supreme Spirit) discerns them. "Olodumare nikan lomo bo se npin won". But there's God.
Re: Oba Orisa by February30(m): 2:42pm On Sep 30, 2017
if u do not believe this.
but
believe Bible stories of Noah, Tower, Adam & Eve.
then
You are a slave.
Re: Oba Orisa by Taiwo20(m): 3:22pm On Sep 30, 2017
Babalawos:
What exactly you don't understand? Africans has the best culture in the world. Sooner you realize it the better for you

I mean I don't understand why our people rubbish anything African. The whites too are supertistious but Africans don't appreciate their own. afterall talisman, amulets etc are English words which mean they really exist.

we are Christians/muslims because we were born into it.

I think Africans really need to look at the good part of our culture.

I really enjoy your write up. Is the any comprehensive book on ifa..

AGBO ato
Re: Oba Orisa by Babalawos(m): 3:31pm On Sep 30, 2017
Taiwo20:

I mean I don't understand why our people rubbish anything African. The whites too are supertistious but Africans don't appreciate their own. afterall talisman, amulets etc are English words which mean they really exist.

we are Christians/muslims because we were born into it.

I think Africans really need to look at the good part of our culture.

I really enjoy your write up. Is the any comprehensive book on ifa..

AGBO ato

Thank you for your words of wisdom. There are lot's of IFA ebooks and books. Contact me if you need any
Re: Oba Orisa by Taiwo20(m): 8:38pm On Sep 30, 2017
Babalawos:

Thank you for your words of wisdom. There are lot's of IFA ebooks and books. Contact me if you need any

I would..
Re: Oba Orisa by Babalawos(m): 12:14pm On Oct 02, 2017
Taiwo20:

I would..

OK, I will be expecting your private message
Re: Oba Orisa by Nobody: 10:41am On Oct 05, 2017
Babalawos:

Babalawos,whats the meaning of these dreams?
a.dreaming of snakes,playing with them and hearing a voice telling you their names,but they are nt the normal names like python or cobra.They are strange names.

b.dreaming of being in a gathering of ogboni members ,eating with them and using the same attire as them.

c.dreaming of having a long hair that touches the ground.

whats is really happening when the people that offend you claim you are appearing to them and hiting them with stick(they wil develop sickness or problem later on) whereas you did not leave your house.

Thanks!
Re: Oba Orisa by Babalawos(m): 2:19pm On Oct 05, 2017
sexybbstar:

a.dreaming of snakes,playing with them and hearing a voice telling you their names,but they are nt the normal names like python or cobra.They are strange names.

b.dreaming of being in a gathering of ogboni members ,eating with them and using the same attire as them.

whats is really happening when the people that offend you claim you are appearing to them and hiting them with stick(they wil develop sickness or problem later on) whereas you did not leave your house.

Thanks!

Aboru Aboye

The three dreams you mentioned are mystical in nature and it's only IFA Oracle that can give you the actual meaning.

I will advice you consult IFA to reveal the meaning of these three dreams.

Thank you for reading, leave your comments

Babalawos
Re: Oba Orisa by Nobody: 2:24pm On Oct 05, 2017
Babalawos:

Aboru Aboye

The three dreams you mentioned are mystical in nature and it's only IFA Oracle that can give you the actual meaning.

I will advice you consult IFA to reveal the meaning of these three dreams.

Thank you for reading, leave your comments

Babalawos
I'll be waiting for your reply.
Re: Oba Orisa by Nobody: 3:40pm On Oct 05, 2017
sexybbstar:

Thanks!

Not to break into your conversation with Mr. Babalawos but I want to offer some pointers. I'll itemise my points along how I emboldened the contents of your post I quoted above.

1. I am not sure about snakes. Like Mr. Babalwos rightly said, you'd have to tell it to an Opele and cast it to see what Ifa says about it.

2. The part about Ogboni - how are you sure they're Ogboni? What signs, emblems or words did you hear to have you conclude it is an Ogboni gathering? Why do I say this? Many groups parade as 'Ogboni' today and indeed their are 3 variants of original Ogboni - Obatala's Ogboni the progenitor; the Ogboni of Yoruba traditional rulers and their chiefs; and lastly, the traditional/aborigene Ogboni which the chiefs of the towns, oluwo and every other qualified member of a town form a part of. Outside of this, we have the Christian/Anglican ROF and a whole bunch of 'ritualist' gatherings parading as Ogboni. If you're able to figure out which of the Ogbonis you belong to, then you should search your backgrounds (paternal/maternal) if any of your progenitors was in Ogboni. If yes, your dream may allude to the fact that you may have to join too.

3. Long hair in most cases has to do with Osun, Yemoja and Olokun. You a child of either of the three.

All in all, you'd still have to divinate generally to see if Ifa will come up with reference to Ogboni & either of those three deities. If not, you'd have to ask ifa specifically if you should initiate either of those circles.

Ire O!
Re: Oba Orisa by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 05, 2017
[quote author=IditaBoy post=61134501]

Not to break into your conversation with Mr. Babalawos but I want to offer some pointers. I'll itemise my points along how I emboldened the contents of your post I quoted above.

1. I am not sure about snakes. Like Mr. Babalwos rightly said, you'd have to tell it to an Opele and cast it to see what Ifa says about it.

2. The part about Ogboni - how are you sure they're Ogboni? What signs, emblems or words did you hear to have you conclude it is an Ogboni gathering? Why do I say this? Many groups parade as 'Ogboni' today and indeed their are 3 variants of original Ogboni - Obatala's Ogboni the progenitor; the Ogboni of Yoruba traditional rulers and their chiefs; and lastly, the traditional/aborigene Ogboni which the chiefs of the towns, oluwo and every other qualified member of a town form a part of. Outside of this, we have the Chr

I have a blood relative who was once a member.What about the last part of my question?any answer?
Re: Oba Orisa by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 05, 2017
sexybbstar

As for that, it could be an ‘egbe’ related stuff. Everything revolves around you consulting Ifa.

By the way, we attended the same school, the same campus but different departments, I did History.
Re: Oba Orisa by Nobody: 8:17pm On Oct 05, 2017
IditaBoy:

As for that, it could be an ‘egbe’ related stuff. Everything revolves around you consulting Ifa.

By the way, we attended the same school, the same campus but different departments, I did History.
Wow...Which year?
Re: Oba Orisa by Nobody: 8:45pm On Oct 05, 2017
sexybbstar:

Wow...Which year?

07-11.

Back when Prof. Akinrinade was VC & Prof. Siyan Oyeweso was Provost.
Re: Oba Orisa by Nobody: 1:57am On Oct 07, 2017
IditaBoy:

07-11.

Back when Prof. Akinrinade was VC & Prof. Siyan Oyeweso was Provost.
It's been long o...
Re: Oba Orisa by Nobody: 5:41pm On Oct 07, 2017
sexybbstar:
It's been long o...

Yes, very.

(1) (Reply)

'God made man in his own image'? / Athiest A Question For U! / This Is Ur Online Prophet, Call Me Now For Ur Divine Visitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.