Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:11 PM

My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire (5692 Views)

Black Smoke From Exhaust. / Can Bad Injector Mouth Causes Black Smoke Or Increase Fuel Consumption / I Need Toyota Carina E (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by nasonaso: 9:13am On Sep 25, 2017
Car doctors, gurus, technical men. A problem shared they say is a problem solved.

I have a Toyota Carina E 1998 model that emits black smoke when rev.

I feel the car was converted from automatic to manual.I love this car but the only issue with the car is the tendency to consume alot of fuel and jerks when changing from gear 1 to 2.

2K fuel can't last me for a hour before showing me the reserve sign. I think if dangote's refinery is opened I WILL WIN THE BEST CUSTOMER AWARD CONSECUTIVELY.

I have met electricians, mechanics but most of them are just guessing what's on ground. I have changed air filter. Service plugs one of the wiring harness decided to put a step down still yet the problem persists.

I decided to run a scan but the guy I met told me there is no port to plug the scan after checking the car.

Gurus, technicals I opened this thread because I want to limit my shares in dangote refinery.

Presently, the car is in Edo state. Attached here are pics of the engine bay

Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by nasonaso: 9:28am On Sep 25, 2017
No comment yet. OK ohh , time for me to step up my cry oya let me cryyyyyyyt

Nurey, Autoelectng,princetom1,deportivo lacuruna,hayjayman autologic

Picx attached in the dashboard when I start my car all check lights goes off but I do notice that when am in an holdup and my legs is busy with the clutch and brake my engine check light comes up

Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by princetom1(m): 12:48pm On Sep 25, 2017
See as them Kazeem manufacture this car for u. Now, everyone dey fear to touch that car

1 Like

Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by nasonaso: 1:39pm On Sep 25, 2017
princetom1:
See as them Kazeem manufacture this car for u. Now, everyone dey fear to touch that car

Printomtom1 abeg oh nor finish me with laugh hahahahahaha. Nor be all these kazeem. Na God go save me from their hand..

Please kazeem should help us now. If you know you can't handle a situation, why not jejely tell us.

Nurey autoeng, autologic
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by nurey(m): 4:30pm On Sep 25, 2017
Cc GAZZUZZ, mayor123, Kingreign, honmusa please any advice you can give this gentle and humble man.

What I am seeing here has passed my knowledge I believe a scan will confirm if the dire situation can be salvaged.
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by AutoElectNG: 5:42pm On Sep 25, 2017
Seen.

Fuel Air Mixture off the charts

Excessive fueling

Fuel management system operating in inefficacious mode... probably due to abuse?

First things first, return vehicle to factory settings

Then troubleshoot concentrating on

1. Fuel Injection Control subsystems/components

2. Air Metering Control subsystems/components

IF THE ABOVE TWO SYSTEMS DO NOT FIX THE PROBLEM THEN DIAGNOSIS WILL NEED TO BE EXTENDED TO COVER

3. Ignition control subsystems/components (particularly timing)
4. the electrical/electronic management over both systems (the wiring to and fro all the above and the ECM/ECU)

Good luck.

Extract from your vehicle repair manual attached for reference

Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by mayor2013: 7:29pm On Sep 25, 2017
This caught my attention. Could you explain what you meant by using "step down"
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by nasonaso: 8:24pm On Sep 25, 2017
AutoElectNG:
Seen.

Fuel Air Mixture off the charts

Excessive fueling

Fuel management system operating in inefficacious mode... probably due to abuse?

First things first, return vehicle to factory settings

Then troubleshoot concentrating on

1. Fuel Injection Control subsystems/components

2. Air Metering Control subsystems/components

IF THE ABOVE TWO SYSTEMS DO NOT FIX THE PROBLEM THEN DIAGNOSIS WILL NEED TO BE EXTENDED TO COVER

3. Ignition control subsystems/components (particularly timing)
4. the electrical/electronic management over both systems (the wiring to and fro all the above and the ECM/ECU)

Good luck.

Extract from your vehicle repair manual attached for reference

Thank you so much sir. I will do just that. I took the car to Toyota service centre they run comot say the car parts nor de market. grin

Then I took it to another wiring harness he changed my nozzle said the problem has been solved. Anyway, i need to drive around to see if there is a significant improvement.

NB: I did all these before I saw your post.
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by nasonaso: 8:26pm On Sep 25, 2017
nurey:
Cc GAZZUZZ, mayor123, Kingreign, honmusa please any advice you can give this gentle and humble man.

What I am seeing here has passed my knowledge I believe a scan will confirm if the dire situation can be salvaged.

Thank you sir for calling "Help from Above"
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by nasonaso: 8:35pm On Sep 25, 2017
mayor2013:
This caught my attention. Could you explain what you meant by using "step down"

OK sir, if you zoom my 3rd pix closely, by your extreme left you would see a device which is tied with a red wire looking like a DVD ROM from a computer.

According to the electrician. He said that device is usually gotten from Honda cars and the function of the device is used to lower (reduce) fuel supply to the nozzle
Which invariably leads to lower fuel consumption.
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by mayor2013: 10:00pm On Sep 25, 2017
nasonaso:

OK sir, if you zoom my 3rd pix closely, by your extreme left you would see a device which is tied with a red wire looking like a DVD ROM from a computer.

According to the electrician. He said that device is usually gotten from Honda cars and the function of the device is used to lower (reduce) fuel supply to the nozzle
Which invariably leads to lower fuel consumption.
grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:22pm On Sep 25, 2017
as a final year university student I had a carinaII with a 1.8liter 4a-fe engine which I had to rebuild and rewire from scratch. When I was done, it was the most efficient car I have ever owned till date, Lagos to kaduna on a 55liter fuel tank.

Seeing pics like this bring back memories.

OP you need to go old school to fix this, no scanners involved.

Sadly I cannot help but wish u the best.

1 Like

Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by AutoElectNG: 3:38am On Sep 26, 2017
nasonaso:

Thank you so much sir. I will do just that. I took the car to Toyota service centre they run comot say the car parts nor de market. grin

Then I took it to another wiring harness he changed my nozzle said the problem has been solved. Anyway, i need to drive around to see if there is a significant improvement.

NB: I did all these before I saw your post.

Please clarify the bolded.

You cannot return a vehicle that has been abused to factory specifications without factory information.

You need at the very least tools like:

1. a multi-meter

2. wiring diagrams for the affected or potentially affected systems, subsystems and components

3. List of component torque values/component test data especially for the potentially affected systems such as for this vehicle:
(a) Factory Fuel and Exhaust Systems repair and overhaul data
(b) Emission Control Systems repair and overhaul data
(c) Ignition Control Systems repair and overhaul data

NOTE: This vehicle is an OBD I equipped vehicle with engine management functions handled by a non-OBD II compliant TCCS unit, so no OBD II Scan tool can help you out here.

You will also need to eliminate all non-factory modifications and return to stock configuration.

I have attached samples of Factory Information to help you appreciate what I mean.

If the techies you worked with so far did not consult factory information, they were flying blind and decided to take you along their merry go round hence you find yourself in this situation

I would hasten to add that nothing teaches you how to fix a vehicle/how vehicle systems and subsystems work than restoring a vehicle whose systems have been abused to factory state...are you up to the challenge?

Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by AutoElectNG: 3:41am On Sep 26, 2017
nasonaso:
Car doctors, gurus, technical men. A problem shared they say is a problem solved.

I have a Toyota Carina E 1998 model that emits black smoke when rev.

I feel the car was converted from automatic to manual.I love this car but the only issue with the car is the tendency to consume alot of fuel and jerks when changing from gear 1 to 2.

2K fuel can't last me for a hour before showing me the reserve sign. I think if dangote's refinery is opened I WILL WIN THE BEST CUSTOMER AWARD CONSECUTIVELY.

I have met electricians, mechanics but most of them are just guessing what's on ground. I have changed air filter. Service plugs one of the wiring harness decided to put a step down still yet the problem persists.

I decided to run a scan but the guy I met told me there is no port to plug the scan after checking the car.

Gurus, technicals I opened this thread because I want to limit my shares in dangote refinery.

Presently, the car is in Edo state. Attached here are pics of the engine bay

Given the wiring harness abuse on wanton display in the pictures above, you cannot proceed without a wiring diagram, and I have attached the engine management wiring diagram to make the point potent

Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by nasonaso: 7:43am On Sep 26, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
as a final year university student I had a carinaII with a 1.8liter 4a-fe engine which I had to rebuild and rewire from scratch. When I was done, it was the most efficient car I have ever owned till date, Lagos to kaduna on a 55liter fuel tank.

Seeing pics like this bring back memories.

OP you need to go old school to fix this, no scanners involved.

Sadly I cannot help but wish u the best.

Thank you sir
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by nasonaso: 8:15am On Sep 26, 2017
AutoElectNG:
[/b]

Please clarify the bolded.

You cannot return a vehicle that has been abused to factory specifications without factory information.

You need at the very least tools like:

1. a multi-meter

2. wiring diagrams for the affected or potentially affected systems, subsystems and components

3. List of component torque values/component test data especially for the potentially affected systems such as for this vehicle:
(a) Factory Fuel and Exhaust Systems repair and overhaul data
(b) Emission Control Systems repair and overhaul data
(c) Ignition Control Systems repair and overhaul data

NOTE: This vehicle is an OBD I equipped vehicle with engine management functions handled by a non-OBD II compliant TCCS unit, so no OBD II Scan tool can help you out here.

You will also need to eliminate all non-factory modifications and return to stock configuration.

I have attached samples of Factory Information to help you appreciate what I mean.

If the techies you worked with so far did not consult factory information, they were flying blind and decided to take you along their merry go round hence you find yourself in this situation

I would hasten to add that nothing teaches you how to fix a vehicle/how vehicle systems and subsystems work than restoring a vehicle whose systems have been abused to factory state...are you up to the challenge?

Thank you so much for your help.

What I meant at the bolded was that i did a nozzle change yesterday before I saw your first post on this thread. I will follow through with this challenge.

According to the wiring harness, he said with this change, they will be a significant change in the consumption of fuel.

Anyway if no improvement after today I will follow through to the latter of your instruction.

Thank you so much sir
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by nasonaso: 6:38pm On Sep 27, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Given the wiring harness abuse on wanton display in the pictures above, you cannot proceed without a wiring diagram, and I have attached the engine management wiring diagram to make the point potent

Sorry sir I should have updated the house what's on ground. Just a little bit busy.

I feel the issue is still persistent. I got about 1800 worth of fuel on monday when i changed the injectors and today i got about 1500 worth of fuel but coming back, the reserve indicator showed up.

so I will meet the wiring harness and take the wiring diagram with me so we can have an head way . I will do that tomorrow or next.

I will carefully follow your the procedure you outline.

If there is any addition to make sir I will gladly have them.

Thanks once again

Again I do notice this fuel odour when I am driving the car.
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by AutoElectNG: 8:21am On Sep 28, 2017
nasonaso:

Sorry sir I should have updated the house what's on ground. Just a little bit busy.

I feel the issue is still persistent. I got about 1800 worth of fuel on monday when i changed the injectors and today i got about 1500 worth of fuel but coming back, the reserve indicator showed up.

so I will meet the wiring harness and take the wiring diagram with me so we can have an head way . I will do that tomorrow or next.

I will carefully follow your the procedure you outline.

If there is any addition to make sir I will gladly have them.

Thanks once again

Again I do notice this fuel odour when I am driving the car.

The better way to calculate fuel consumption is described here https://www.nairaland.com/4030048/pls-me-o-sienna-2000#60213912, although given the black smoke it is clear fuel is not being burned efficiently.

I think the problem you have is not about changing injectors or any other components, but it is about testing the components and wiring of the vehicle to see if they match factory specs, and reverting to factory specs when they don't.

So far by changing components blindly, you are going to end up spending a lot of money and time doing next to nothing but running around in circles, not a very intelligent way to solve a problem, even if you eventually resolve the problem, how would you be certain that this is the particular action that led to the resolution?

What do you mean by you will "meet the wiring harness"? I used that expression to refer to a thing, that is the mass of wires that run through your vehicle, it seems you are using it to refer to a person. That is not the sense that I use it!

I meant that you need to do a one of one comparison - is the wiring of the car in the same state as it was when it left the factory? If no, then we restore it to factory specifications. But beyond that, we would also have to test component values to be sure they match factory specifications, it is only if they fail that we would replace such affected components.

So ideally you want someone who refers to the wiring harness from factory documentation as well as other operating parameters to take on this task for you.

Are we on the same page now?
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by nasonaso: 9:12am On Sep 28, 2017
AutoElectNG:

The better way to calculate fuel consumption is described here https://www.nairaland.com/4030048/pls-me-o-sienna-2000#60213912, although given the black smoke it is clear fuel is not being burned efficiently.

I think the problem you have is not about changing injectors or any other components, but it is about testing the components and wiring of the vehicle to see if they match factory specs, and reverting to factory specs when they don't.

So far by changing components blindly, you are going to end up spending a lot of money and time doing next to nothing but running around in circles, not a very intelligent way to solve a problem, even if you eventually resolve the problem, how would you be certain that this is the particular action that led to the resolution?

What do you mean by you will "meet the wiring harness"? I used that expression to refer to a thing, that is the mass of wires that run through your vehicle, it seems you are using it to refer to a person. That is not the sense that I use it!

I meant that you need to do a one of one comparison - is the wiring of the car in the same state as it was when it left the factory? If no, then we restore it to factory specifications. But beyond that, we would also have to test component values to be sure they match factory specifications, it is only if they fail that we would replace such affected components.

So ideally you want someone who refers to the wiring harness from factory documentation as well as other operating parameters to take on this task for you.

Are we on the same page now?

I misunderstood you about the "wiring harness" I was referring that to a person, now I understand you were referring to the wiring in the car.

At the bolded asking if I need someone that will undertake the task of restoring it to factory settings. Yes I need someone that will undertake it because my technical abilities is not up that league.

You are damn right about going around in cycles spending money, wasting productive time.

How can I get someone technical to handle this for me.

My location for now is Benin
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by honmusa(m): 4:52pm On Sep 28, 2017
nasonaso:

I misunderstood you about the "wiring harness" I was referring that to a person, now I understand you were referring to the wiring in the car.

At the bolded asking if I need someone that will undertake the task of restoring it to factory settings. Yes I need someone that will undertake it because my technical abilities is not up that league.

You are damn right about going around in cycles spending money, wasting productive time.

How can I get someone technical to handle this for me.

My location for now is Benin

why don't u invite autoelectricng over since he is so passionate about resolving this issue for u.
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by mayor2013: 5:33pm On Sep 28, 2017
honmusa:

why don't u invite autoelectricng over since he is so passionate about resolving this issue for u.

Haba!!! grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:43pm On Sep 28, 2017
mayor2013:

Haba!!! grin grin

You have no idea how anonymous NL is, return flight + 3start hotel 100k just to spend 15mins looking at a car.

1 Like

Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by nasonaso: 7:08pm On Sep 28, 2017
honmusa:

That may not be a bad idea. Honmusa what say you about this issue?

Autoelectricng can I pm you.
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by AutoElectNG: 7:24pm On Sep 28, 2017
nasonaso:

That may not be a bad idea. Honmusa what say you about this issue?

Autoelectricng can I pm you.

Feel free to... when you say Benin, do you mean Benin City itself? My email is on my signature, you can either PM me or email me.
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by nasonaso: 7:28pm On Sep 28, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Feel free to... when you say Benin, do you mean Benin City itself? My email is on my signature, you can either PM me or email me.

Yes Benin City
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by AutoElectNG: 7:43pm On Sep 28, 2017
nasonaso:

Yes Benin City

I know Benin City.. email me let's see if we can agree on something
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by nasonaso: 7:44pm On Sep 28, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Gbam.
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by nasonaso: 7:53pm On Sep 28, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Can I whatapp you
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by mayor2013: 9:13pm On Sep 28, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

You have no idea how anonymous NL is, return flight + 3start hotel 100k just to spend 15mins looking at a car.

Tell me more
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:17pm On Sep 28, 2017
mayor2013:

Tell me more

you can call, I will Tell u plenty
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by AutoElectNG: 9:52pm On Sep 28, 2017
nasonaso:

Can I whatapp you

Yes
Re: My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire by AutoElectNG: 9:53pm On Sep 28, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

I guess I am also interested in this story

(1) (2) (Reply)

DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) / Now On Sale Innoson Salon Cars. / D4 Light Is Flashing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.