Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,463 members, 7,781,342 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:44 PM

FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds (11339 Views)

US Opposes Nigeria's Plan To Hand Abacha Looted Funds To Governor Bagudu / See The Moment Atiku Admitted The PDP Looted Funds Under Obasanjo / Buhari Has History Of Bringing Looted Funds To Nigeria – Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by ijustdey: 12:20pm On Sep 28, 2017
• Expects return of stolen money from UAE, Germany, others

From Juliana Taiwo-Obalonye, Abuja

The Federal Government has revealed plans to adopt a new approach to recover stolen funds stashed abroad.

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, who briefed State House Correspondents at the end of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting, yesterday, said the approach was to negotiate directly with the Ministry or Department of Justice of the United States of America or other judicial agencies in the countries where looted funds from Nigeria were being kept, instead of hiring expensive lawyers.

He said other countries where the government has been working assiduously to repatriate stolen funds included the United Arab Emirates, Germany and Liechtenstein.

He, however, did not say how much money had been stolen from the country so far.
“It’s an ongoing thing, we have been discovering all the time because you see the sophistication that there is today in hiding money around the world is amazing, even western countries themselves have a lot of problems and it takes them a lot of time and they discovered about the Panama papers. Nobody knew about all those funds illegally stashed until you suddenly have the revelations under the Panama papers. So, it’s really an ongoing thing and then new ones coming up all the time.”

Asked what strategies were being put in place to recover the monies, the Foreign Affairs Minister said: “We cooperated with David Cameron when he was the prime minister of the UK to organise a global conference on anti-corruption.

You know for a very long period of time, it was not a priority for industrialised countries to worry about money flowing from developing countries into their banks because, as far as they are concerned, they have their own image of rulers of third world countries, so the president’s strategy was to put it on the front burner for them to buy into.”

The president had consistently expressed worries that despite strenuous efforts to retrieve monies stashed away various foreign bank accounts in Europe and America in particular, their governments were reluctant to assist in repatriating them.

Buhari is unhappy that the foreign governments were introducing various technicalities, which have caused a slow down in the effort to recover the monies.
He is also alarmed that despite the anti-corruption war of his administration, some governments we reportedly demanding for firm guarantee that the monies, if retrieved, would not be re-looted by corrupt officials in the country.

Part of the president’s agenda at the just concluded 72nd United Nations General Assembly in New York was to seek the cooperation of world leaders for the repatriation of the looted funds.

On why Buhari’s presentation skewed towards the international community, Onyeama explained that it was meant for a global audience, hence contained issues of global concern but, which also had implications for Nigeria’s wellbeing.

“First and foremost, he was speaking to the international audience on a global stage and the UN is there for global issues, so I think its absolutely in order because Nigeria is part of a global community addressing global issues. But he addressed all those issues covering also all the things that affect Nigeria as a country. When Mr. President came in, he outlined three priorities security, governance anti-corruption and the economy.

“On anti-corruption which is a priority for us he called on the international community to insist and maintain good governance and he himself talked about good governance being a priority for this country and wanted the international community to key into it because we are looking to these countries to help us get the stolen funds back.”

http://sunnewsonline.com/fg-negotiates-with-us-on-looted-funds/

lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by cosby02(m): 12:21pm On Sep 28, 2017
Ok
Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by freeze001(f): 12:23pm On Sep 28, 2017
He is also alarmed that despite the anti-corruption war of his administration, some governments we reportedly demanding for firm guarantee that the monies, if retrieved, would not be re-looted by corrupt officials in the country.

Alarmed for what? It hasn't dawned on him that not everyone is taken in by his 'saintly' stance against so-called corruption. They see him burning scarce resources on his health without accountability, they know he's in cahoots with criminals so it's only normal that the thieves he has surrounded himself with are just waiting to pounce on any available money.

16 Likes

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by thesicilian: 12:33pm On Sep 28, 2017
This is the summary of the process:
FG will negotiate with the foreign countries, and they will agree to return the looted funds on the condition that we give them a percentage. FG will agree, and the remaining money will be sent back to Nigeria, and this will now be shared between the presidency, governors and lawmakers in the name of bailout fund, monthly allocation, infrastructural allowance or any other sweet name.

10 Likes

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by Negotiate: 12:35pm On Sep 28, 2017
ijustdey:

• Expects return of stolen money from UAE, Germany, others

http://sunnewsonline.com/fg-negotiates-with-us-on-looted-funds/

This country sef

1 Like

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by Negotiate: 12:45pm On Sep 28, 2017
thesicilian:
This is the summary of the process:
FG will negotiate with the foreign countries, and they will agree to return the looted funds on the condition that we give them a percentage. FG will agree, and the remaining money will be sent back to Nigeria, and this will now be shared between the presidency, governors and lawmakers in the name of bailout fund, monthly allocation, infrastructural allowance or any other sweet name.

In order to not pull down the economy of the countries due to to large amounts, some refunds can be in batches, and some via infrastructure.

1 Like

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by brainpulse: 1:04pm On Sep 28, 2017
The government is doing its bits, the international countries are not helping.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by Nobody: 1:05pm On Sep 28, 2017
My president is working.
And you will still see some wailers that are so pained by this good news.
They only want to hear about negative news all over the country, they are even here already.
God bless PMB.

2 Likes

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by brenister10: 1:06pm On Sep 28, 2017
APC, we are all watching. How are you going to convince the average Nigeria about the monies you have so far recovered?

2 Likes

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by magoo10(m): 1:07pm On Sep 28, 2017
The same US lie lie Mohammed warned not to interfere in Nigeria's internal issue.I laugh in spanish

Even after negotiating they will still find it difficult to make the outcome known to the innocent and gullible masses who voted them in.

These people are bunch of brainless mofos ,failure is in their DNA

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by buffalowings: 1:07pm On Sep 28, 2017
modelmike7:
My president is working.
And you will still see some wailers that are so pained by this good news.
They only want to heat about negative news all over the country, they are even here already.
God bless PMB.

He is the messiah
Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by Terror666(m): 1:09pm On Sep 28, 2017
we will get someday, somehow
Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by lunacol(m): 1:10pm On Sep 28, 2017
Once repatriated,Reloot will be the next action shocked

2 Likes

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by NigerDeltan(m): 1:13pm On Sep 28, 2017
grin

Where is diezani's $90billion they claimed to have recovered?

Ndi ara!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by WowSweetGuy(m): 1:13pm On Sep 28, 2017
Even if dem recover am...it will be re-looted.

Useless country

1 Like

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by Deckylicious(m): 1:13pm On Sep 28, 2017
New world population statistics​ Population 7.8 billion people on planet earth. Women 5.6 billion​ Men 2.2 billion​ So baby gal think twice before saying NO​ to a man.! Of the 2.2bn 1bn are married already 200, 000 are in prison and mental institutions Leaving 1bn 500 million are jobless 5% are gay 3% are roman priests 10% are relatives The remainder are above 66years. Anyway I'm still single Incase you don't know.....dont feel shy inbox me let's talk over it

1 Like

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by lyriclekidd(m): 1:17pm On Sep 28, 2017
lol nice

anyways iPhone 6s for sale

1 Like

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by lonecatt(m): 1:17pm On Sep 28, 2017
I hope they will make the outcome public
Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by maxzzo1(m): 1:17pm On Sep 28, 2017
brenister10:
APC, we are all watching. How are you going to convince the average Nigeria about the monies you have so far recovered?
ask dem na so we dey hear big big amt stil yet nothin dey happen probably dey are relooting
Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by Nobody: 1:18pm On Sep 28, 2017
Sense fall on u
Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by ITbomb(m): 1:18pm On Sep 28, 2017
The ones that have not been stolen what have we done with them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by soberdrunk(m): 1:19pm On Sep 28, 2017
The biggest hypocrites on earth are the leaders of the "Western countries", they turn a blind eye when huge amounts of money is pumped into their countries from 'developing' countries and suddenly remember 'due process' when it is time to recover 'stolen' funds angry angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by admindim: 1:21pm On Sep 28, 2017
God will help these beloved country
Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by GeoOla25(m): 1:25pm On Sep 28, 2017
Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by spidey77: 1:29pm On Sep 28, 2017
Have they not always been negotiating? Since i was born, they have been negotiating....

In other news, while we are negotiating, do you know that some people are dying simply because of the natural waterways around them. How do you negotiate with that?

Check out some of this disastrous waterways, some of them are even close to us

http://expressdigger..com/2017/05/there-are-quite-man-cannot-do-without.html
Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by purplekayc(m): 1:37pm On Sep 28, 2017
Story...
Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by msylva2147(m): 1:38pm On Sep 28, 2017
magoo10:
The same US lie lie Mohammed warned not to interfere in Nigeria's internal issue.I laugh in spanish

Even after negotiating they will still find it difficult to make the outcome known to the innocent and gullible masses who voted them in.

These people are bunch of brainless mofos ,failure is in their DNA
even if they make it known to you what are you going to do? If I were you instead of bordering myself about knowing all those money or the president's state of health as if you are his doctor or have any say about the said monies I will rather concentrate on something that is more beneficial to me that wasting time.
Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by magoo10(m): 1:42pm On Sep 28, 2017
msylva2147:
even if they make it known to you what are you going to do? If I were you instead of bordering myself about knowing all those money or the president's state of health as if you are his doctor or have any say about the said monies I will rather concentrate on something that is more beneficial to me that wasting time.
Even if I am wasting my time how is it your concern? Go to bed and sleep in peace.

2 Likes

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by msylva2147(m): 1:46pm On Sep 28, 2017
NigerDeltan:
grin
Where is diezani's $90billion they claimed to have recovered?
Ndi ara!
the $90billion is in my account come and collect it.
Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by cockcrowatdawn(m): 1:53pm On Sep 28, 2017
msylva2147:
the $90billion is in my account come and collect it.
See you ,your account have not contained common #20000 talk of billion .
Dreamer

1 Like

Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by Dearlord(m): 1:56pm On Sep 28, 2017
We keep on hearing repatriation of loots without any evidence thereby giving hope to zombies
Re: FG Negotiates With US On Looted Funds by translux(m): 2:04pm On Sep 28, 2017
Please where is all the recorvered loot, pls peoplr are dying of hunger everyday.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gun Shots Disrupt Committee’s Meeting With Ogun APC Guber Aspirants / Buhari’s campaign Writes Police, SSS, Accuses PDP Of hacking INEC Server / Kogi Guber: I’m Not Contesting – Hon Faleke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.