Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance (17925 Views)

Lagos Schools Where Alcohol, Gambling Thrive In Broad Daylight / LASG Frowns At Non-Compliance With Academic Calendar By Some Schools / Lagos House Of Assembly Passes Yoruba Language Bill Into Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by hatedisplace: 7:48am On Sep 29, 2017
brainpulse:
Good one by Lagos state. It's necessary because of so many missed and eroded culture that has found its way in Lagos
where in the world will u not find missed culture. The topic is preserving language not imposing believe or culture on anybody. I support d idea but it can't work in some states in Nigeria where there are more than 10 different languages.
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by RussianICBM(m): 7:48am On Sep 29, 2017
Lovetinz:
I would like to see the Yoruba translation of..
..Wherein and wherefore the prospective customer has with or without proven intent alone or by himself and or in collusion with others...
grin

Very easy.
I even thought you wanted to ask something harder like a big complex scientific term.

Some of you actually think Yoruba is a small totally udeveloped language? lol

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by PVision2020(m): 7:49am On Sep 29, 2017
Lagos... The heritage and pride of the yoruba race. Thumbs-up honourable legislators.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by tete7000(m): 7:51am On Sep 29, 2017
Education is on concurrent legislation list, the tone of whatever bill Lagos is proposing to pass must not contravene the spirit of our constitution, else it will lose out if taken to court. Constitution remains the supreme law of the land. My opinion.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by RussianICBM(m): 7:51am On Sep 29, 2017
hatedisplace:
where in the world will u not find missed culture. The topic is preserving language not imposing believe or culture on anybody. I support d idea but it can't work in some states in Nigeria where there are more than 10 different languages.

I think those states should find their bearing.

Luckily, in the west- a Yoruba language policy can work everywhere.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by checkolatunji: 7:51am On Sep 29, 2017
LordIsaac:
An average home bred Westerner speaks Yoruba-English...hence, that ɓill is useless. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by hatedisplace: 7:52am On Sep 29, 2017
martineverest:
thats nice...unlike most states in South south, epecially edo and delta.90% of kids in benin and warri can speak their languages
most kids in Warri can't speak their language, they speak mostly pigeon English. I know because I grew up there.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by checkolatunji: 7:54am On Sep 29, 2017
ScotFree:
I just dey laugh. The yoruba they speak everyday and everywhere, even in their dreams,?? It's in the blood stream. No need to worry about preserving it. It's preserved in stone, blood and genes already.

Just say the Government is looking for more money. The Tax isn't enough anymore.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by femi4: 7:54am On Sep 29, 2017
hatedisplace:
South West......The focus is on South West. Seems you didn't read the post

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by hatedisplace: 7:55am On Sep 29, 2017
RussianICBM:

I think those states should find their bearing.

Luckily, in the west- a Yoruba language policy can work everywhere.
nobody is quarrelling with u. No need to be rude. No language matter after death.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by omoelerin1: 7:56am On Sep 29, 2017
This is nice considering the fact that multicultural status of Lagos is having negative effect on Yoruba language and culture in the state. But I thought Lagos is 'no man's land'.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by hatedisplace: 7:59am On Sep 29, 2017
femi4:
South West......The focus is on South West. Seems you didn't read the post
u don't read my post
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by tivta(m): 7:59am On Sep 29, 2017
Smh
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Nobody: 7:59am On Sep 29, 2017
[quote author=checkolatunji post=60933224][/quote]

So in your small, under developed brain, there are only two tribes in Nigeria abi. Yoruba and "IPOB". IPOB is not a tribe okay. I didn't want to reply you cos i realised that your brain's grey matter leaked out of the horrifying slashes they inflicted on you as a child in the name of tribal mark. So it will be an unfair fight between Full brain and Empty skull. So peace. Drink Ewedu soup and be cool!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by martineverest(m): 7:59am On Sep 29, 2017
hatedisplace:
most kids in Warri can't speak their language, they speak mostly pigeon English. I know because I grew up there.
is saddening
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by martineverest(m): 8:01am On Sep 29, 2017
hatedisplace:
like in edo state where numerous languages exist. each schools could teach the language of its annex

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by checkolatunji: 8:03am On Sep 29, 2017
ScotFree:

So in your small, under developed brain, there are only two tribes in Nigeria abi. Yoruba and "IPOB". IPOB is not a tribe okay. I didn't want to reply you cos i realised that your brain's grey matter leaked out of the horrifying slashes they inflicted on you as a child in the name of tribal mark. So it will be an unfair fight between Full brain and Empty skull. So peace. Drink Ewedu soup and be cool!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by hatedisplace: 8:04am On Sep 29, 2017
gongoaso27:
this is a nice bill which should be passed in all south West zone. cus everything about our culture is going to an extinction.
our so called culture can't put food on our table. All languages should be scrapped in Africa because it is the reason for our lack of growth. My opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by tbanj07(m): 8:05am On Sep 29, 2017
The Yoruba language teaching goes beyond speaking and writing it...they teach the culture, history and all that has to do with the YORUBAS from the time past!!!

ScotFree:
I just dey laugh. The yoruba they speak everyday and everywhere, even in their dreams,?? It's in the blood stream. No need to worry about preserving it. It's preserved in stone, blood and genes already.

Just say the Government is looking for more money. The Tax isn't enough anymore.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by nairanaira12: 8:05am On Sep 29, 2017
fr3do:

except it is targeted at non-westerners

No one is forcing non-Westerners to stay

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by nairanaira12: 8:07am On Sep 29, 2017
ScotFree:

If you didn't stick your brain in your arsehole while reading, you will realise the fine is for those who flaunt the law. Childish, stupid comment

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by RussianICBM(m): 8:08am On Sep 29, 2017
hatedisplace:
nobody is quarrelling with u. No need to be rude. No language matter after death.

Oua sorry no vex.
But the point remains, that those places would need to sort themselves out.
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Nobody: 8:08am On Sep 29, 2017
This bill is suspicious
I hope is not targetted at a set of people
Tribalism in full blown outft
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by WrathOfHadez(m): 8:09am On Sep 29, 2017
A language is only sustainable by its relevance. Never by compulsion.

Making it compulsory will only make students engage it as a mere academic exercise and relegate it for examination marks only.

Same thing happened when itsekiri was lumped into our curriculum in primary schools in Warri then. Most of us thereafter can't make a simple sentence in that language today .

Does the Yoruba language need this legislative fiat of compulsion? No.

Smacks of desperation.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by nairanaira12: 8:09am On Sep 29, 2017
Realdeals:
Good, not everyone that speaks Yoruba can write it. There are others aspect of the language that need to be learned. The alphabet, Akanlo ede etc.

Ààmì

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Nobody: 8:10am On Sep 29, 2017
nairanaira12:

If you didn't stick your brain in your arsehole while reading, you will realise the fine is for those who flaunt the law. Childish, stupid comment

Go and face your Dead on Arrival writing career and stop quoting me
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by nairanaira12: 8:11am On Sep 29, 2017
ScotFree:

Go and face your Dead on Arrival writing career and stop quoting me

Well, that writing career has bought me two plots of land already. I will share with you when my car arrives. Stupid, childish fool

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Nobody: 8:13am On Sep 29, 2017
nairanaira12:

Well, that writing career has bought me two plots of land already. I will share with you when my car arrives. Stupid, childish fool

Generation of fools
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by nairanaira12: 8:15am On Sep 29, 2017
ScotFree:

Generation of fools

Yeah, especially you; Messer Stupid Childish Fool.
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by zoedew: 8:15am On Sep 29, 2017
LordIsaac:
An average home bred Westerner speaks Yoruba-English...hence, that ɓill is useless. grin

The essence is to preserve the language. Very good piece of legislation. A people's language is life, culture, tradition, future and influence.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Morenikeji090(m): 8:16am On Sep 29, 2017
Realdeals:
Good, not everyone that speaks Yoruba can write it. There are others aspect of the language that need to be learned. The alphabet, Akanlo ede etc.
yes true but the bill is pretty we want it we gonna learn Yoruba more by writing and speaking

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Professors Don’t Earn More Than N416,000 — UNILAG ASUU Chairman / Photos Of 2 Pupils Who Got Injured In The Jos School Building Collapse / Cultism In Nigerian Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.