Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,543 members, 7,808,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance (17926 Views)

Lagos Schools Where Alcohol, Gambling Thrive In Broad Daylight / LASG Frowns At Non-Compliance With Academic Calendar By Some Schools / Lagos House Of Assembly Passes Yoruba Language Bill Into Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by GetMeRight: 9:46am On Sep 29, 2017
LordIsaac:
An average home bred Westerner speaks Yoruba-English...hence, that ɓill is useless. grin
The effect will not be only speaking but also reading and writing.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by GetMeRight: 9:48am On Sep 29, 2017
fr3do:

except it is targeted at non-westerners

mamaafrik:
Dont feel threatened oh ye non-westerners,if you have come here to enjoy our environment and its vantages,you've got to learn the culture and languages too.
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Klinee: 9:55am On Sep 29, 2017
bakynes:

I don't think u live in Lagos. Most people in Lagos understand Yoruba even if you choose not to learn or speak the language one way or the other u understand it.

We have told you people no matter how cosmopolitan Lagos is, Lagos is still Yoruba Land.
Lagos is no man's land
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by farem: 10:02am On Sep 29, 2017
Angelb4:
No concern me sef

Since you are sambisa-based!
**Jokes**

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by bakynes(m): 10:02am On Sep 29, 2017
Klinee:
Lagos is no man's land
Whatever makes you happy bro I don't have the time to argue today.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Funkybabee(f): 10:07am On Sep 29, 2017
Nice move

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by jedyjedy(m): 10:08am On Sep 29, 2017
Where are d deranged people calling Lagos a no man's Land?

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by enemyofprogress: 10:09am On Sep 29, 2017
c4tnoelz:
Correct
no wonder one cannot toast you with English language, except one speaks your ondo dialect
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Iamzik: 10:15am On Sep 29, 2017
ScotFree:
I just dey laugh. The yoruba they speak everyday and everywhere, even in their dreams,?? It's in the blood stream. No need to worry about preserving it. It's preserved in stone, blood and genes already.

Just say the Government is looking for more money. The Tax isn't enough anymore.

Wrong assumption.

Even British schools teach English language as a subject to native Britons

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Awoofawo(m): 10:24am On Sep 29, 2017
fr3do:

except it is targeted at non-westerners
dat dey drag land with awon original Omo oni ile....................by the time dem finish with dem, dem go know that not everything one should beat cheat over..........some fight na common sense dey win am! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Worldbest281: 10:25am On Sep 29, 2017
hatedisplace:
where in the world will u not find missed culture. The topic is preserving language not imposing believe or culture on anybody. I support d idea but it can't work in some states in Nigeria where there are more than 10 different languages.
we are less concerned if it does not work out in any other states, our concern is south west and Lagos in particular.....YORUBA LAWA O

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by MONITZ: 10:27am On Sep 29, 2017
martineverest:
thats nice...unlike most states in South south, epecially edo and delta.90% of kids in benin and warri can speak their languages.

the law is not harsh at all...they shud be be fined every term

@Martineverest,u re so wrong in ur assertion that 90percent of kids in Warri nd Benin can speak their languages,do u stay /ve u been to these areas that u mentioned ?,if yes then u wouldn't ve typed that which u did.. The issue of "disappearing mothers' tongues" is also a big problem in these areas because the indigenes communicate mostly in Pidgin English ,including the elderly nd it's not a problem peculiar to the youth only....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by positivetaught: 10:37am On Sep 29, 2017
zoedew:

I respectfully disagree. First, it is good sense to blend where you live else you become like fish out of water. Second, the language you suggest not having a background in history, culture and tradition is bound to be counter productive with the resultant loss of cultural identity. Take time to look at Afrikaans language in SA. Third, it would lead to people groups scrambling to have their language dominant in the language you suggest because language is about influence. The French forever wish the English language were not this dominant globally. Take it or leave it Britain is this relevant globally because English language is spoken worldwide even by those who pretend not to understand it! Fourth, it should enhance Federalism and political enlightenment and contribute to the reduction of corruption to its barest minimum considering that all politics is local!
tanx for your observation n contribution, but I'm not suggesting we form a brand new language but simply to make writing some English words conform with our environment for easy understanding n advancement, we can continue using those wording e.g put,sell,bag etc that go in line with our local pronunciations. one good thing is that almost all African dialects follows the same pattern such that anyone who can read Yoruba can read Swahili or Zulu fairly well without learning or understanding them,this means a Yoruba reader can easily learn SEnglishall that would be require is translation n interpretation. This idea came up because I have been trying for long to help my kids master reading English apart from their school studies with very slow success but when I tested teaching them how to read my dialect,I notice they found it easier,I have observe this in many children, learning English as it is takes a very long time of practice n cramming, you would be amazed how some secondary students pronounced some English words but I don't blame them,for instance letter "C' in English can " k" as in carton,or "S" as in certain, cell or "CH" as in chance,change. this is also the case with letter G,you don't find these complications in our dialects where alphabetical sounds remain same even in words so that reading simply becomes a smooth combination of the alphabetical sounds to form a word.infact I have been searching for the technique of teaching kid how to read n write English perhaps you know of one because looking back I remember vividly the trouble we passed through to develop the ability to read n write English but it wasn't the case with Hausa.
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Awoofawo(m): 10:40am On Sep 29, 2017
positivetaught:
ordinarily this would have been a great idea but on a second thought how would the country look like if this is replicated in every state, rather I will suggest that we should develop our own brand of written English based on our local alphabets pronunciations to make learning easier n faster like the Americans e.g we should spell come as "kom", cotton as "kotin",certain as " satin",etc,the English alphabetical sounds individually n when use in words makes the British English complicated n difficult to learn n teach to children unlike our local dialects. I learnt Hausa in primary school in the north within a year I could read n write it fairly based on that knowledge now I can read most Nigerian languages not perfectly but good enough for the speakers of the languages hearing me to understand which I feel is good enough, let's keep sentiments n pride away n do what will aid our rapid advancement for common good.
Look at this mumu.........Japan, India, Even China that were once under British rule.....which one of the jettison their culture and languages the way will do in Africa. Continue uses of Slave-master language is indirect continua of Slavery.......those countries I mentioned would never have attained their social and economy development, if they are like us! Abeg oga goansido! undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Awoofawo(m): 10:42am On Sep 29, 2017
positivetaught:
tanx for your observation n contribution, but I'm not suggesting we form a brand new language but simply to make writing some English words conform with our environment for easy understanding n advancement, we can continue using those wording e.g put,sell,bag etc that go in line with our local pronunciations. one good thing is that almost all African dialects follows the same pattern such that anyone who can read Yoruba can read Swahili or Zulu fairly well without learning or understanding them,this means a Yoruba reader can easily learn SEnglishall that would be require is translation n interpretation. This idea came up because I have been trying for long to help my kids master reading English apart from their school studies with very slow success but when I tested teaching them how to read my dialect,I notice they found it easier,I have observe this in many children, learning English as it is takes a very long time of practice n cramming, you would be amazed how some secondary students pronounced some English words but I don't blame them,for instance letter "C' in English can " k" as in carton,or "S" as in certain, cell or "CH" as in chance,change. this is also the case with letter G,you don't find these complications in our dialects where alphabetical sounds remain same even in words so that reading simply becomes a smooth combination of the alphabetical sounds to form a word.infact I have been searching for the technique of teaching kid how to read n write English perhaps you know of one because looking back I remember vividly the trouble we passed through to develop the ability to read n write English but it wasn't the case with Hausa.

Sorry for first harsh respond....you some real good point here now...I have the feeling too. best regards
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by ademich411: 10:48am On Sep 29, 2017
I totally support. How will you call yourself a Yoruba man, and you can't read, write and speak the language atleast averagely?

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by positivetaught: 11:02am On Sep 29, 2017
Awoofawo:
Look at this mumu.........Japan, India, Even China that were once under British rule.....which one of the jettison their culture and languages the way will do in Africa. Continue uses of Slave-master language is indirect continua of Slavery.......those countries I mentioned would never have attained their social and economy development, if they are like us! Abeg oga goansido! undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
I'm not surprised on your use of language, it has become the norm on nairaland unfortunately, but ask yourself those countries you mentioned are they multi lingual n multi cultural like ours?,if the south west were to be a country today studying in Yoruba would have been perfect, pls endeavor to think n do some analysis before launching a tirade of insults.
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by panpan(m): 11:13am On Sep 29, 2017
Yoruba language may be encouraged by making it available for learning in primary and secondary schools. However, Yoruba language should not be made compulsory. Any additional language to be learnt should be left for the student/parents/school to decide. Once a subject is made compulsory, it reduces the student's options of choosing other subjects. It is possible that several students, including those from the southwest and who are able to speak Yoruba language fluently, would prefer to learn other subjects at school.
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Basic123: 11:20am On Sep 29, 2017
panpan:
Yoruba language may be encouraged by making it available for learning in primary and secondary schools. However, Yoruba language should not be made compulsory. Any additional language to be learnt should be left for the student/parents/school to decide. Once a subject is made compulsory, it reduces the student's options of choosing other subjects. This is not an ethnic issue. It is possible that several students, even from the southwest, would prefer to learn other subjects at school, even though they are able to speak Yoruba language fluently.
You can leave lagos if you are not satisfied.That is the beauty of federalism.each state with its own law.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Nobody: 11:24am On Sep 29, 2017
baddosky1:

That's it. If this was in the SE, yoruba warlords both jere on NL and in their land will cry foul. A meeting within Igbo communities in Lagos has been held to this effect with parents advised to instruct their wards/children to "tune off" their concentration once a yoruba teacher comes into the class.

Every of their plan against igbo makes them stronger.....

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Awoofawo(m): 11:29am On Sep 29, 2017
positivetaught:
I'm not surprised on your use of language, it has become the norm on nairaland unfortunately, but ask yourself those countries you mentioned are they multi lingual n multi cultural like ours?,if the south west were to be a country today studying in Yoruba would have been perfect, pls endeavor to think n do some analysis before launching a tirade of insults.
Did you read my reply to your other post?! We in the South west have been advocating for restructuring , so all regions can develop at their own pace without hindrance from other regions. Canada is multi-culture nation with French and English adopted in difference provinces that made up the country and they are doing fine. The ideas of retaining slave-master language all over Africa is so that the west may continue to indirect control the continent. We can not attain any meaningful and sustainable development if we continue to ignore our culture particularly our languages. Your first post which I quoted didn't do justice to the idea you tried to convey.......but I later got your point from your second post ( a reply to someone else actually )....... cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by lorhema(f): 11:32am On Sep 29, 2017
I like the idea that children in Lagos should be taught Yoruba. A number of our family members have picked up the language and it's a good addition to their communication skills.
Wish it was the same in Plateau. I don't know of more than, say, four primary schools in Jos where Hausa is taught. Some teenagers I know who were born and have lived here all their lives can't speak Hausa and their schools don't teach it. Meanwhile it's the lingua franca here.

When they get into a secondary school where Hausa is taught ( there are a few) it becomes a problem for them because they lack the foundation in the language.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Basic123: 11:43am On Sep 29, 2017
Klinee:
This is completely nonsense!!!! Majority of lagosians don't understand Yoruba language. But if they must recognize indigenous language, which am in support of it, they should also try to recognize Hausa and Igbo languages too because of their great population in Lagos.
In as much yoruba language is made compulsory also in Anambra.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by doyinbaby(f): 11:47am On Sep 29, 2017
omoelerin1:
Why is it that Igbo (another major language in Lagos) is not included in the said bill?
because Lagos is Yorubaland and egunland

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by doyinbaby(f): 11:47am On Sep 29, 2017
omoelerin1:
Why is it that Igbo (another major language in Lagos) is not included in the said bill?
because Lagos is Yorubaland and egunland igbos are immigrants

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Basic123: 11:49am On Sep 29, 2017
Klinee:
This is completely nonsense!!!! Majority of lagosians don't understand Yoruba language. But if they must recognize indigenous language, which am in support of it, they should also try to recognize Hausa and Igbo languages too because of their great population in Lagos.
Lagos is a yoruba land,you greeds!

Anambra too is free to make igbo compulsory.

The assembly conduct their proceedings on Thursday with yoruba language.If you are not happy with it.Leave the state and go else where.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by doyinbaby(f): 11:53am On Sep 29, 2017
bakynes:

That's their business if they don't want to learn the language, we will teach our language on our land for our children and for those who want to learn the language for effective communication in the state.
I love your response jare.....we will make sure Yoruba language is taught....our own children will learn...those who don't want to learn can block their ear when the teacher is in class teaching......ha ha .....we will still teach our language on our land.......omo ale lo ma fi owo osi juwe ile baba e Egun language should also be taught because places like badagry is egunland

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Afritelly: 11:55am On Sep 29, 2017
Who no sabi this subject in Yoruba?

Data Testing With SQL In Yoruba Language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp7JQudtmbM

A o kọ nipa Data Testing Pẹ́lu MSSQL Server Database Engine

Subscribe for this course on Udemy "Kọ Software Testing Ati Automation Pẹlu (Real-Life Projects)"

Software Testing & Automation with Real Life Projects
https://www.udemy.com/atoz-sta-with-real-life-projects/

Kọ Software Testing Ati Automation Pẹlu (Real-Life Projects)
https://www.udemy.com/ko-sta-ni-ede-yoruba/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by positivetaught: 11:56am On Sep 29, 2017
Awoofawo:
Did you read my reply to your other post?! We in the South west have been advocating for restructuring , so all regions can develop at their own pace without hindrance from other regions. Canada is multi-culture nation with French and English adopted in difference provinces that made up the country and they are doing fine. The ideas of retaining slave-master language all over Africa is so that the west may continue to indirect control the continent. We can not attain any meaningful and sustainable development if we continue to ignore our culture particularly our languages. Your first post which I quoted didn't do justice to the idea you tried to convey.......but I later got your point from your second post ( a reply to someone else actually )....... cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Alright noted tanx
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by doyinbaby(f): 12:00pm On Sep 29, 2017
Asidethetruth:

Every of their plan against igbo makes them stronger....
Lagos is Yorubaland & egunland we will continue to promote our culture....Anyone would is not satisfied can go back to his or her state....ha ha .....we will continue to promote Yoruba & egun culture

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Nobody: 12:22pm On Sep 29, 2017
doyinbaby:
Lagos is Yorubaland....we will continue to promote our culture....Anyone would is not satisfied can go back to his or her state....ha ha .....we will continue to promote Yoruba culture

If igbo leaves yoruba go collapse.....lagos to be precise
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Johnayoola(m): 12:38pm On Sep 29, 2017
WrathOfHadez:
A language is only sustainable by its relevance. Never by compulsion.

Making it compulsory will only make students engage it as a mere academic exercise and relegate it for examination marks only.

Same thing happened when itsekiri was lumped into our curriculum in primary schools in Warri then. Most of us thereafter can't make a simple sentence in that language today .

Does the Yoruba language need this legislative fiat of compulsion? No.

Smacks of desperation.
let us worry about that,oga face ur tribe

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Professors Don’t Earn More Than N416,000 — UNILAG ASUU Chairman / Cultism In Nigerian Universities / 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.