Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,801,985 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance (17909 Views)

Lagos Schools Where Alcohol, Gambling Thrive In Broad Daylight / LASG Frowns At Non-Compliance With Academic Calendar By Some Schools / Lagos House Of Assembly Passes Yoruba Language Bill Into Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by deedeedee1: 12:48pm On Sep 29, 2017
This is so fuccking great

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Johnayoola(m): 12:50pm On Sep 29, 2017
grew up in the north n Hausa was made compulsory in jss level ,it was hell then but now I know d usefulness n advantage I get been able to speak Hausa n Yoruba,currently trying to learn igbo,this is a very good move if u ask me

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by precious1967(m): 1:01pm On Sep 29, 2017
thank God against D's fintinfitin people. Igbos and hausas peaks their languages only Yorubas have sold their language for foreign language. thank u Gov. Ambode.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by WrathOfHadez(m): 1:16pm On Sep 29, 2017
Johnayoola:
let us worry about that,oga face ur tribe
my tribe? Are you that empty?
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Lloydfolarin: 1:16pm On Sep 29, 2017
Klinee:
This is completely nonsense!!!! Majority of lagosians don't understand Yoruba language. But if they must recognize indigenous language, which am in support of it, they should also try to recognize Hausa and Igbo languages too because of their great population in Lagos.

Are you mad?

Igbo fucking what!

Go back to your East and make Yoruba Lang compulsory for your fucking children there first.

Until Yoruba Lang becomes part of your curriculum in the East

Igbos are fucking greedy, they ll be asking for what they ll never tolerate in their land.

This is exactly what Sir Ahmadu Bello said in 60s.

The same attitude of greediness that was mentioned by that man is still being exhibited by these greedy buffoons

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by zoedew: 1:20pm On Sep 29, 2017
Klinee:
This is completely nonsense!!!! Majority of lagosians don't understand Yoruba language. But if they must recognize indigenous language, which am in support of it, they should also try to recognize Hausa and Igbo languages too because of their great population in Lagos.

This is not about recognition of local languages but the preservation of Yoruba language which is the indigenous language of Lagos State. #blendwhereyoulive

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Lloydfolarin: 1:24pm On Sep 29, 2017
Asidethetruth:

If igbo leaves yoruba go collapse.....lagos to be precise

Before the last civil war, your grandfathers said more than this. Igbos left in their thousands for the East few days before the declaration of war but nobody missed Igbos.

Nigerians allowed Igbos to return out of pity.

Lagos state had already moved on since your departure from our land.

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by zoedew: 1:26pm On Sep 29, 2017
positivetaught:
tanx for your observation n contribution, but I'm not suggesting we form a brand new language but simply to make writing some English words conform with our environment for easy understanding n advancement, we can continue using those wording e.g put,sell,bag etc that go in line with our local pronunciations. one good thing is that almost all African dialects follows the same pattern such that anyone who can read Yoruba can read Swahili or Zulu fairly well without learning or understanding them,this means a Yoruba reader can easily learn SEnglishall that would be require is translation n interpretation. This idea came up because I have been trying for long to help my kids master reading English apart from their school studies with very slow success but when I tested teaching them how to read my dialect,I notice they found it easier,I have observe this in many children, learning English as it is takes a very long time of practice n cramming, you would be amazed how some secondary students pronounced some English words but I don't blame them,for instance letter "C' in English can " k" as in carton,or "S" as in certain, cell or "CH" as in chance,change. this is also the case with letter G,you don't find these complications in our dialects where alphabetical sounds remain same even in words so that reading simply becomes a smooth combination of the alphabetical sounds to form a word.infact I have been searching for the technique of teaching kid how to read n write English perhaps you know of one because looking back I remember vividly the trouble we passed through to develop the ability to read n write English but it wasn't the case with Hausa.

Truth is, the matter at hand is not about developing some form of homegrown lingua but about the preservation of The Yoruba language.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Nobody: 1:34pm On Sep 29, 2017
Lloydfolarin:

Before the last civil war, your grandfathers said more than this. Igbos left in their thousands for the East few days before the declaration of war but nobody missed Igbos.

Nigerians allowed Igbos to return out of pity.

Lagos state had already moved on since your departure from our land.

If i hear......

Tell yourself the truth
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by zoedew: 1:59pm On Sep 29, 2017
WrathOfHadez:

All the French we were made to undergo in secondary schools in Nigeria...how many people remember the language today?

Language is sustainable by culture, power soft or real and influence never by compulsion.

Latin
English
Portuguese
Now Chinese languages were all once global languages learnt for their relevance in the business world, technology and culture.

The Yoruba by their Geopolitical positioning with Lagos as the gateway to Nigeria doesn't need legislative ordinance to maintain the language. 90% of Lagosians speak the language and it's the dominant language in south west even before the English language.

So putting it in a bill is just a waste of legislative time and exercise.

Do you live in Lagos? The typical Lagos resident even if Yoruba responds in English Language more than Yoruba Language. That
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Klinee: 2:01pm On Sep 29, 2017
zoedew:

This is not about recognition of local languages but the preservation of Yoruba language which is the indigenous language of Lagos State. #blendwhereyoulive
Lagos is a multi-ethnic languages State not just Yoruba and as a Nigeria national, if Yoruba language is made compulsory the same should also be done to other ethno languages that makes up Lagos as a state.
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by JazzMode: 2:08pm On Sep 29, 2017
The bill needs to have everything it will take for it to succeed as we are better off knowing our mother tongue.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Danladi7: 2:44pm On Sep 29, 2017
Klinee:
Lagos is a multi-ethnic languages State not just Yoruba and as a Nigeria national, if Yoruba language is made compulsory the same should also be done to other ethno languages that makes up Lagos as a state.

Mr man,its just yoruba.Even in yorubaland if your yoruba dialect is not lagos-like they will say you are local!.Go and tell Oba elegushi,Oba epe ,Oba Ajah the ijebus,aworis,egbas and eguns this your rants and get the beating of your life.

The only language that make up lagos as a state is yoruba language!..others are immigrants.There are people that are indigenous to lagos and call lagos hometown and their village as igbo people will call it and their language is yoruba!

Is like saying every language of immigrants should be made compulsory in new York schools like English language because new york is cosmopolitan.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Danladi7: 2:52pm On Sep 29, 2017
Asidethetruth:

Every of their plan against igbo makes them stronger.....
Are igbo people feeling threatened?

You can go and replicate the same law in Anambra to retaliate on yorubas.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by c4tnoelz: 2:52pm On Sep 29, 2017
no wonder one cannot toast you with English language, except one speaks your ondo dialect

Your moniker says who you are and how gullible you are, for your info, is not every female you see on a social media that is single.
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 29, 2017
Danladi7:

Nigeria is hostile to average igbo man
But
Igbos are not like that.....we dont live a life of retaliation.......
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by zoedew: 3:10pm On Sep 29, 2017
Klinee:

Yoruba language is the language indigenous to Lagos State one of the Federating units under the Federal Constitution we operate. In a Federal System as ours each State can decide to so legislate. Native Americans today are a pitiful example of what it comes to when a people do not consciously preserve their heritage of which language forms a basic block. It smacks of insensitivity and crass disregard for the heritage, norms, mores and ethos of a host community as Lagos is to claim it is a "multi-ethnic languages State" when the settler language is Yoruba. It is akin to the claim by some that Lagos is a "no man's land" simply because the accommodating disposition of its indigenous population made the environment cosmopolitan. The Constitution only allows for a Nigerian to live and make anywhere in Nigeria home but not to dictate to its indigenous people what to do with their heritage. That suggests that a Nigerian who chooses to make a given location in Nigeria his home must blend or have it bland. For example I have found the part of Nigeria where I live good enough to be home though am not a native. It is my choice and I blend. #blendwhereyoulive

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Nobody: 3:20pm On Sep 29, 2017
Johnayoola:
grew up in the north n Hausa was made compulsory in jss level ,it was hell then but now I know d usefulness n advantage I get been able to speak Hausa n Yoruba,currently trying to learn igbo,this is a very good move if u ask me

Am sorry not possible....u can learn hausa and yoruba easily but igbo....e go hard u
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Klinee: 3:47pm On Sep 29, 2017
zoedew:

In a Federal System as ours each State can decide to so legislate. #blendwhereyoulive
But how can a State enact a law that is detrimental to those who are non Yoruba speaking lagosians?
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Danladi7: 4:10pm On Sep 29, 2017
Asidethetruth:

Nigeria is hostile to average igbo man
But
Igbos are not like that.....we dont live a life of retaliation.......
Victim mentality!
And you dont leave a life of retaliation that is why igbo children were taught to hate yorubas in response to twisted account of civil war.

Master and slave mentality at the same time!

As long as every condition is not favourable for an average Ibo man to make use of his greed and dominate others he will interpret it as maginalization,envy and hostility.

An average igbo man will not be comfortable and perceive the bill as hostility until the state assembly replace the yoruba in that bill to igbo.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Danladi7: 4:31pm On Sep 29, 2017
Klinee:
But how can a State enact a law that is detrimental to those who are non Yoruba speaking lagosians?

Hope you will not repeat this rant is igbo is made compulsory in Anambra

And if I may ask,how is that detrimental?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Johnayoola(m): 5:02pm On Sep 29, 2017
Asidethetruth:

Am sorry not possible....u can learn hausa and yoruba easily but igbo....e go hard u
lol there's nothing impossible about it,tho I know its won't be an easy task.
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Nobody: 5:09pm On Sep 29, 2017
Danladi7:

Hahaha! Don't mind those stupid people mehn! They no dey reason far... scratch that; they no dey reason at all.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Nobody: 5:24pm On Sep 29, 2017
Johnayoola:
lol there's nothing impossible about it,tho I know its won't be an easy task.

Ask people that have tried.....they will tell u that ibo is very hard to learn compared to the other two....

And we know the reasons
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Nobody: 5:28pm On Sep 29, 2017
Danladi7:

Victim mentality!
And you dont leave a life of retaliation that is why igbo children were taught to hate yorubas in response to twisted account of civil war.

Master and slave mentality at the same time!

As long as every condition is not favourable for an average Ibo man to make use of his greed and dominate others he will interpret it as maginalization,envy and hostility.

An average igbo man will not be comfortable and perceive the bill as hostility until the state assembly replace the yoruba in that bill to igbo.

Slave mentality

The response is typical of a slave under hausa fulani watch...

Yorubas are saint but they are sly and brood of chameleon in nature....

Ask Trump how he do away with his special assistant...a yoruba man.....he cant bear the snitch....

Who is teaching hate if not hausa and yoruba....

Confirm from ahmadu bello and adeyinka grandson....

God willing and by his grace....we will continue to push until biafra is achieved.
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by zoedew: 5:31pm On Sep 29, 2017
Klinee:

It deepens Federalism as migratory patterns are influenced by Laws States choose to enact. For example I do not live in Lagos and will think twice before driving into Lagos in the event of a need to visit so as to avoid running foul of its complex traffic laws. That way Lagos filling stations, Vulcanisers, parking meters and mechanics cum car accessories dealers have lost money they could make from me if I drove. It's a matter of choice. Anywhere you choose to live demands that you blend.

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by HunterofPigs: 5:38pm On Sep 29, 2017
Asidethetruth:

Slave mentality

Ask Trump how he do away with his special assistant...a yoruba man.....he cant bear the snitch....

God willing and by his grace....we will continue to push until biafra is achieved.

Who is this foool? How many ibo aka Pigs and Idiots despite your high population in USA even made it to the White House ever.

The gentleman this idiota refers to was in a committee that was disbanded by Trump. A committee of CEOs. Trump heard that members of the committee are quitting so he had to disband it altogether. Meanwhile, the gentleman still remains the CEO of his company.

How more stupid can ibos be? Do you lack comprehension or are you just bitter about everything?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by fr3do(m): 5:46pm On Sep 29, 2017
nairanaira12:

Goan release your oral diarrhoea at lagos house of assembly

you do not want to argue intellectually, I don't know what madness you are suffering from.
Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Basic123: 6:19pm On Sep 29, 2017
Danladi7:

Hope you will not repeat this rant if igbo is made compulsory in Anambra
And if I may ask,how is that detrimental?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Danladi7: 6:30pm On Sep 29, 2017
Asidethetruth:

Slave mentality

hmmm,igbo people grin

so ogunlesi was the only man sacked?....that shows igbo have been unhappy with the man's feat all this while.

Exactly,yorubas and Hausas own radio biafra,world headquarters of hate speech.

Only igbo people see Adeyinka grandson as heroe,to yorubas he is a bastard unlike igbo race that backed their cowardly son for calling yoruba pastors demons,igbo women prostitutes,biafrans pigs and idiots and for calling for the killing of pastor kumuyi if he steps on biafran soil.

By God grace,biafran will be achieved.I wish i'm the president,I will grant you buafra on a Platter.It will be a good radiance to a bad rubbishgrin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language Bill: Lagos Schools Risk N500k Fine, Closure For Non-compliance by Danladi7: 6:40pm On Sep 29, 2017
HunterofPigs:

Who is this foool? Hoe many ibo aka Pigs and Idiots despite your high population in USA even made it to the White House ever.

The gentleman this idiota refers to was in a committee that was disbanded by Trump. A committee of CEOs. Trump heard that members of the committee are quitting so he had to disband it altogether. Meanwhile, the gentleman still remains the CEO of his company.

How more stupid can ibos be? Do you lack comprehension or are you just bitter about everything?
They are very unreasonable,irritating and unintelligent with their frustrated life and inferiority complex.

Its very obvious that they are living a frustrated.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Did You React When You Had First "A" & "F" In The University? / How To Check My Unizik Result / Redeemers University To Suspend 22 Students For Not Attending Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.