Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,865 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:03 AM

Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories (23235 Views)

How African Parents Raise Their Kids? Share Your Experience While Growing Up! / Wife Captured On Camera Running Out Of Home As She Refuses "To Do" More (video) / Tomisin, Tomiwa And Toni: Triplets Share Their Birth Story On Their Birthday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by KanwuliaExtra: 11:56am On Sep 30, 2017
See what poverty causes? A high level of frustration.

Genetically-conditioned domestic violence.

Tufiakwa!!! cry

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by cyborg123(m): 11:56am On Sep 30, 2017
Lmao here grin grin
Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by fernandoc(m): 11:56am On Sep 30, 2017
I wrapped my moms Volvo 240 in our neighbors fence when I was 15 after repeated warning not to touch even the car key...i packed my bag and ran after mechanic told me 'boy you no sabi sey any gbowai no five thaaaasand... '...I ran to my paternal aunt inlaw... Dey find me tire . After much begging I decided to come back.
Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by cyborg123(m): 11:57am On Sep 30, 2017
This thread is a proof we need Child Protective Services urgently.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by idu1(m): 11:59am On Sep 30, 2017
Vivly:
Finally a Nairaland thread I have a story on .
I ran away from home twice. The only thing that brought me back was my love for education and how much I hated mosquitoes. I could survive the cold, possibility of being raped, distorted future but those humming insects, No.
Looking back now, I'm glad I came back home each time I left. Child abuse is a real thing

How old was he then?
Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by Jennifer89(f): 11:59am On Sep 30, 2017
rotexteymie:
I even dropped a letter in the laundry basket saying I'll goan meet patience ozokwor to train me.. grin grin grin cheesy

Loooooooooool

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by Ginaz(f): 12:08pm On Sep 30, 2017
I grew up with my grandparents so the house was filled up. I and my aunt share the bed, she would pressed me against the wall cos how small I was then.

So this night I started crying I won't sleep in the house. My grandpa came and was pleading with me to sleep ,he would scold my aunt in the morning. I was crying profusely and said they should "take me to my real papa house ,i would run from the house".

A thunderous and jaw breaking slap was administered to me in two secession with a heavy weight behind each slap across my face, including my eyes as it suddenly blanked and saw heaven.

That was all it took to made me realized running away was a bad ideal.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by slam7000(m): 12:09pm On Sep 30, 2017
Vivly:
I ran away from home twice. The only thing that brought me back was my love for education and how much I hated mosquitoes. I could survive the cold, possibility of being raped, distorted future but those humming insects, No.
Looking back now, I'm glad I came back home each time I left. Child abuse is a real thing

I thought that I read somewhere within your post that your brother left and never returned Am I seeing double?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by hardon1(m): 12:20pm On Sep 30, 2017
borngeologist:
There is these thay i ran away from home...because my dad actually flogged me..they started lookin for me all over the place.when they eventually saw me they treated me like a king gave me golden morn and milk..with high malt..for my mind..i told my self i will be running away every two weeks..it was when night came i receive the beaten of my life...calling mama yusuf and co to come and rescue me

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin i can relate to this one. nigerian parents can be really unpredictable. reminising on all these make childhood really sweet and memorable. nigerian parents are the best

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by Nobody: 12:25pm On Sep 30, 2017
There's nothing wrong with discipline but disciplining out of anger is bad. It's child abuse.

No wonder the country is the way it is. Some of these stories sound harmless but it's -vely affecting the adult psyche one way or another.

All our societal ills start from the home. when homes are full of child abuse, absentee fathers, depressed mothers, Poverty .etc. how won't u have frustrated violent adults that lack empathy. Parents need compulsory counseling sessions in this country. sad

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by gentlechyke(m): 12:40pm On Sep 30, 2017
As young as 5, went to visit my girlfriend in d neighborhood. after 4hours, elder brother came to tell me dad was back and that i had to return. Bluffed him as i was busy playing mummy n daddy with my girlfriend, he left. Dad now sent a bigger cousin to drag me by the ears and bring along a cane as tall as i was. Oh lawd, tears form in my eyes now as i recall the experience after some decades. embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by Bizibi(m): 12:50pm On Sep 30, 2017
Vivly:
hahahaha,humming insects......
Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by Perfecter4real(m): 12:53pm On Sep 30, 2017
It was around 2002 ,2003 i was 9years old . I ran away from home my dad went in search of me and brought me back home that night. fully aware of the beating that awaits me, while my dad was still trying to park his motorcycle i open the back door of the door and off i went again. it was around 10pm then my mom have already cried her eyes out. my dad went after me that night but couldn't catch me. I sleep inside and uncompleted building that night and the gods were angry it rained cat and dog that night cold, mosquitoes and night mares didn't even let me sleep. woke up very early the next morning and started wondering round like a homeless kid lol i even saw one man sweeping and beg him to take me as his house boy the man refuse saying he had no need for a house boy. after walking for hours under the sun hungry. i immediately thought like the prodigan sun "why suffer like this when i have a home? " so with my two legs i walked back home met my mom in my room her eyes where red from crying. she asked me to go take my bath and gave me food to eat. dad was at work then, i ate feeling like a prince but when my dad returned from work i got the beating of my life up till date i still remember that day and after that beating running away never crossed my mind again. now looking back i realise how foolish i was for running small. pikin sense sha.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by Yonce(f): 12:57pm On Sep 30, 2017
I was convinced I was adopted growing up. When I saw no evidence of adoption papers I resulted to wishing my dad would send my mother back to her father's house.

She was a terrorist. She's my bestie now though smiley

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by Bizibi(m): 12:59pm On Sep 30, 2017
KanwuliaExtra:
See what poverty causes? A high level of frustration.

Genetically-conditioned domestic violence.

Tufiakwa!!! cry
it is not poverty,that is how it was in the 80's and 90's.
Life was OK then,that is when comparing it to this millennium.
Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by doe: 1:11pm On Sep 30, 2017
In some cases when parents claim a child ran away with no contact, there could be more to the story.
Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by nowpresence(f): 1:14pm On Sep 30, 2017
I have attempted to run away from home several times most especially from my mum and my elder sister.
it was tough being a middle child in my family. so many bad experiences that I can't start typing, I don't even have the strength for it.
thinking back now I don't know if it was a good or bad idea.
Child Abuse is real. I am still healing from it. I hope to be a better parent than mine.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by eitsei(m): 1:29pm On Sep 30, 2017
I did run away from home few times till my mom got tired of it and shipped my ass back to Nigeria to stay with an aunt in Lagos who flogged stubbornness out of me... Lol

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by vroy(m): 1:35pm On Sep 30, 2017
I was planning to run away before my parent will be back from work I Neva reach aoz junction with my back pack when I saw my dad car the speed wey I take run back pass flash own

9 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by Nobody: 1:40pm On Sep 30, 2017
I didn't run o, the thought of being alone in the dark chased that thought.
Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by poshpimkiey(f): 1:41pm On Sep 30, 2017
I made arrangements with my younger brother because I felt a girl should not live on the streets alone. The foolish boy snitched on me and told my sister. That girl doesn't have chill, she found me writing my farewell letter and advised that I run away to the Imo state, Okigwe to be precise so that when I get too hungry I can beg my mother's family for food. Even asked me when I Was planning to leave? I walked as far as the end of my street, shook my head and decided to rest today and run away the next day. Still waiting for the next day

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by Nobody: 1:44pm On Sep 30, 2017
nowpresence:
I have attempted to run away from home several times most especially from my mum and my elder sister.
it was tough being a middle child in my family. so many bad experiences that I can't start typing, I don't even have the strength for it.
thinking back now I don't know if it was a good or bad idea.
Child Abuse is real. I am still healing from it. I hope to be a better parent than mine.

And I guess you're an introvert, funny thing is they won't even admit they wronged you, they'll look for how to put all the blame on you

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by sochey(f): 1:45pm On Sep 30, 2017
Well...... Everyone has life experiences
I once taught of running away at the age of 12 when I was in js1, my uncle who seemed to hate me so much finished shouting at me cause of his slippers he asked me to go and take it to cobler, I went to give it to aboki to repair it. B4 then my uncle didnt give me money for the repairs, infact he Asked me to stand in front of our gate to wait for those coblers to pass by. I couldn't do cause I had stuffs to do at home too and school to attend. So I gave to the aboki opposite our gate and when he had finished repairing it, I brought it back to my uncle who started shouting that I have spoilt the slippers and that it's no longer his size.. Mehn I was fucking devastated, I didn't even know what to reply him.. I planned to run away that night, I had strong mind that I will survive on the streets if I believed in my self. But I thought of waiting for food so I will eat and have something in my stomach, and then I remembered how heart broken my mum will be if she hears of my disappearance. I started crying and cry became my best friend throughout that night.
But now sha am happy because am still in the house and I'm done with my secondary school.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 30, 2017
I used the think it's only my mum that's like this( my dad has no issues at all) but reading comments from twitter and nl, I'm seeing life from a different perspective now.
Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by nowpresence(f): 2:08pm On Sep 30, 2017
Hipsofagoddess:

And I guess you're an introvert, funny thing is they won't even admit they wronged you, they'll look for how to put all the blame on you
yea. it was a painful experience.
Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by Nobody: 2:09pm On Sep 30, 2017
I actually thought of running away but I never executed the plan, I don't know why. But I actually attempted suicide by drinking jik because I felt my parents didn't treat me d same way like my siblings.
Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by Beamborla(f): 2:18pm On Sep 30, 2017
reminiscing:

My mother beat the surname out of me when I was six just because I spent her #20 change on milk.I cried my liver out but mum didn't send so i gathered all my textbooks and cancelled my surname. I thought of running away but the only places I knew was my church and school.... I gave up Jare .
My dad flogged me with cables cos Cane was a waste of time and resources on me. That was when I hated my father and gave up on him being my father. I decided to be an FBI agent, went into work and it paid off cos I found out so many info about my family but I was still stuck cos "baba" is my blood.i wanted to run but I knew my father would break my bones and still take me to the hospital. I just mellow.
But now, I and my parents are pals...... �

Lol... You sha get mind self. You used her change? Chai! It never occurred to me for once.

What made me take that decision that day was because I couldn't point out my wrong doing. After my mum had beaten me and I was still asking myself 'what I do', she reported me to popsy who promised to top it up with cable of'cos. I told myself I'd rather die plus I was already convinced they were not my parent because of the constant whopping.

...i left home with my foot bare and would run into the bush whenever I saw a red car approaching. Sometimes, I wonder if I would have gone back had I not been taken back home...had the knife been sharp enough, I would have gone through with it

Till date, no one in my house have any idea that running away was my second choice.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by Lloydfolarin: 2:39pm On Sep 30, 2017
I think i am the most stubborn child in the world while growing up. Chai! I did some horrible things my parents ll never forget.

Some of my crimes, In Primary school, my dad used to bring bundles of money home. I usually wait for him to go to the bathroom in the morning to have his bath so as to get down to business of stealing. I knew he usually make a clap towards end of his bathing exercise. I ll go into his bedroom and ransacked the room in such a way nobody ll notice. I ll steal loads of money. It usually took them two weeks to realise that all the money was almost gone. I ll take all the children in my neighbourhood to Orenko Cinema and i ll buy fried meats for all. I ll buy sneakers as expensive as #6000 then(You don't want to know)

After the discovery of what i have done, my dad ll scream and called my mum, my parents ll come together and beat, beat and beat me until my mum ll burst to tears.

I was on this stealing spree for about 4 years until my dad stopped bringing money home completely. I instantly jumped to my mum cooperative thrift and money made out of sales on daily basis... As soon as she comes back, she ll dropped her bag and lock the door before making her way to our kitchen. I studied my mum for a way and came up with a strategy. I ll wait for about 5mins before my mum ll arrive home from the shop and i ll go into her bedroom to hide. As soon as she comes in, she ll ask my siblings about my whereabouts and those one ll tell her that i was out. Then, she ll confidently dropped her bag and locked the door not realising that i was already in. I ll take as much as my pockets could take and hide again so as to wait for the door to be opened.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by stilldoingokay(f): 2:41pm On Sep 30, 2017
doctorkush:
am still on the run cool ... been a long time I saw home..

me I left when I was 14, got so tired of everyone.
Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by jaszplus12(m): 2:43pm On Sep 30, 2017
oh Lord! some of the stories are so funny yet I shed a tear for some of you! why? I can imagine the trauma you all faced! I had mine too and patiently waited for the chance...it came when I was 22 and since then I've grown up MY way! no regrets though cos it helped me find my way in this world! no regrets however!
oh, let me say this: hope we learn that when we have kids not to destroy them emotionally and with the cane!

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories by dsocioemmy(m): 2:47pm On Sep 30, 2017
Kaiii u guys are crazyyyy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? / Lady Shares How Man Abandons Family To Marry A New Wife In Nigeria / Kneeling Down To Beg Your Spouse After A Fight.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.