Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,418 members, 7,781,221 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:49 AM

Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World (50598 Views)

Woman Gives Birth To A Baby 5 Months After Giving Birth To Twins In Lagos (Photo / Onyeka Nnadozie Eze's Two Sets Of Twins And Wife (Photos) / 2 Pairs Of Identical Twins In Anambra Turn Heads (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by MaryBenn(f): 9:11am On Sep 30, 2017
Twins, the birth of two offspring from the same pregnancy, is a relatively uncommon phenomenon, and as such, twins are often regarded as special.
Worldwide, the birth rate of twins varies by region and country. Latin America and Southeast Asia have the lowest rates, with only about 9 sets of twins per every 1,000 births.

In Europe, the figure is about 16 twins for every 1,000 births, and in the United States, it is about 33 for every 1,000 births.

And in central Africa, that number raises to around 18 to 30 sets of twins for every 1,000 births.

However, the Yoruba people of southwest Nigeria boast the highest number of twin births in the world, with about 50 sets of twins for every 1,000 live births.

And in Yorubaland, one town in particular appears to take the prize for the highest number of multiple births in the world.
Igbo Ora, a sleepy agrarian town 80 kilometers from Lagos, is easily the twin capital of the world: unconfirmed estimates from the town say it boasts a mind-blowing 158 sets of twins for every 1,000 live births.
At the entrance to the town, visitors are welcomed with a large plinth, which proudly celebrates its reputation as “the land of twins.”

While there is no empirical reason for the high incidence of twin births in the town, around Yorubaland, fertility experts say a possible explanation for the high incidence of multiple births in the area could lie in the consumption of a specific type of yam containing a natural phytoestrogen, which is thought to stimulate a woman’s ovaries to release eggs from each side.

The locals and residents of Igbo Ora, however, say the secret of their multiple births lie in their staple, which consists of the leaf of an okra plant and yam.

In a 2013 interview, a community leader said, “We eat a lot of the okra leaf or Ilasa soup. We also eat a lot of yam and these diets influence multiple births.”
Hardly could one get to a household at Igbo Ora, Oyo State, without seeing a set of twins. The indigenes believe that a kind of okra leaves, locally known as ewe ilasa, is capable of making women who use it give birth to twins. Taiwo Abiodun who visited the town writes on this phenomenon.

At the mere mentioning of Taiye or Kehinde in the public place could trigger a simultaneous response from more than four people. In other words, the names, being what twins are called (the former for the one who came first and the latter for the one who followed) in Yoruba land, unusually have more than one claimant in this land.

Source : https://face2faceafrica.com/article/igbo-ora-twins

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by madridguy(m): 9:17am On Sep 30, 2017
Used to think Ondo State has highest number of twins until I saw this thread.
Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by WowSweetGuy(m): 9:20am On Sep 30, 2017
Afonjas and twins are like 5&6

31 Likes

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by Nobody: 9:25am On Sep 30, 2017
confirmah

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by Nobody: 9:33am On Sep 30, 2017
Interesting, Nigeria is great cheesy
lalasticlala

Informative piece
Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by thesicilian: 9:52am On Sep 30, 2017
There are many good news from Nigeria. Just that they are not being documented.

11 Likes

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by Lincoln275(m): 11:55am On Sep 30, 2017
ok
Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by Wanice: 11:55am On Sep 30, 2017
Guys i will be dropping my second official single titled HUSTLE DON PAY this october. Have gone back to the studio to do more homework and release a better song. Thanks for the support guys.

6 Likes

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by shoskid(m): 11:56am On Sep 30, 2017
You needs to check my signat.

1 Like

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by elopee3000(m): 11:56am On Sep 30, 2017
I hope the town fine I hope no brown roof angry

6 Likes

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by tayecrypto: 11:56am On Sep 30, 2017
Twins rocks wink

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by catherineokezie(f): 11:56am On Sep 30, 2017
That's good...proudly African

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by Yomzzyblog: 11:56am On Sep 30, 2017
Ok
Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by josh005(m): 11:57am On Sep 30, 2017
Good morning People, Today is my BIRTHDAY. I really Thank God & My Parents please show a Brother some Love. And do have a nice day.

106 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by Maziebuka01(m): 11:57am On Sep 30, 2017
If u are an indigene and single say hi

1 Like

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by akinade28(f): 11:57am On Sep 30, 2017
I will like to have my own set of fraternal twins one day, I even have their names already, " d boy will b Christopher n d girl Christina

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by Fairgodwin(m): 11:57am On Sep 30, 2017
I love twins.
Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by DrBasit(m): 11:57am On Sep 30, 2017
That's my town....OMO Igboora Lasako
Igboora, ibarapa central ....

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by VLongstrider(m): 11:58am On Sep 30, 2017
donproject:
wow, I'm a twins
Twin*

5 Likes

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by slawomir: 11:58am On Sep 30, 2017
what is these?
if that is the case what do you have to say about my village in edo state that have a lot of twins?

every woman on earth have the ability and chance to give birth to twin. it has nothing to do with the food or region
rubbish!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by macanu(m): 11:58am On Sep 30, 2017
Wetin I dey wait for all d way to d town,make I grab my own copy now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by stepo707: 11:59am On Sep 30, 2017
Which type of yam ooo,let me buy for my wife

6 Likes

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by COMPAQ(m): 11:59am On Sep 30, 2017
And surprisingly this occurs in our own country, yet non of our professors who like to go on strike have ever done any research to find out the cause!

We are waiting for oyinbo to come and find out the cause for us!!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by Hayerh30: 11:59am On Sep 30, 2017
Really
Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 30, 2017
The way Yoruba people respect, pity and help pregnant women is probably the reason GOD favours them with twins n more.

24 Likes

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by Nwaoma198(f): 11:59am On Sep 30, 2017
I get big interest for twins

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by Nobody: 12:00pm On Sep 30, 2017
The love i get for twins no be small thing cheesy

In fact if the doctor announced that my Future wife don born twins, before I think of the financial cost wey we go spend, i go first be like this...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by Benekruku(m): 12:00pm On Sep 30, 2017
donproject:
wow, I'm a twins

Sigh.....

smh.....

Where is your other "Twins" grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by bigass123(m): 12:00pm On Sep 30, 2017
Lemme go and look for a girl to phuck at igbó Ora...
I want twins fa

1 Like

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by zinxteba: 12:00pm On Sep 30, 2017
catherineokezie:
That's good...proudly African
Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by thoollz: 12:00pm On Sep 30, 2017
Twins are lovely. Just having a set is OK for me, no extra child again

2 Likes

Re: Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World by Supersuave2(m): 12:01pm On Sep 30, 2017
DrBasit:
That's my town....OMO Igboora Lasako Igboora, ibarapa central ....
Do you live in OYO state?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Dad Politely Rejects His Daughter’s N10k Father’s Day Gift (Video) / This Woman Happily Announced That Her Hubby is Taking A 2nd Wife / Police Recruit Back From 9 Months Training To Find New Wife Pregnant For Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.