Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? (7041 Views)

Whats The Difference Between Core's And Celeron Processors ? / Amd Turion 64 X2 Vs Intel Duo Core Processors / AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by kosovo(m): 4:46am On Mar 06, 2010
When it comes to either building or buying a new computer one the things you have to decide on is what processor (cpu) will be controlling everything in your computer. You have the choice of either AMD or Intel and if you don’t know much about computers it may be hard to make a wise decision on which one to purchase. Lucky for you I have built computers that have used both AMD and Intel and I know a thing or two about computers as well.
What AMD Brings to the Table

AMD is known for being the company to go with when you are building a kick backside gaming computer. What AMD lacks in data crunching it makes up for in pure FPS which for a gamer is the only thing that matters. Almost every benchmark you look at for an AMD chip has that chip out performing a similar Intel chip when it comes to games. But maybe you don’t play games, does this mean that AMD is completely worthless to you? Absolutely not, AMD also has the cheapest processors, allowing you to get the most bang for your buck. At the time of this writing you can buy an AMD Phenom II X4 965 (the top of the line) for a penny under N24,000 do you want the top of the line Intel chip? Well you better be ready to drop around N100, 000 on just the processor alone. Not only that but the Phenom II processors can stand their own against Intel’s offering.

What else does AMD bring to the table? Their processors are able to operate at much more extreme temperatures while also staying cooler than Intels under normal use. The reason why this is good is because you can use liquid nitrogen to cool the AMD processor and it will run just fine where as the Intel does have a chance to break under such extreme temperatures.
What Intel Brings to the Table

Their processors are bar none, top of the line. If you want the best of the best you will have to go with Intel because all they offer is the best. Intel almost always comes out on top overall in benchmarks against AMD. Why is that? Probably because they updated their chip architecture, and are so innovative they are almost always one or two steps ahead of AMD. Right now the new Intel chips completely by pass the need for front side bus. Because of this you get a much much faster processor able to handle much more. You can also overclock the new Intel “i” series chips much easier because you can do it without even doing anything. The chips will automatically overclock when you need the extra power, this can in theory help out with games as well.
What is Right For You?

Are you a hardcore gamer looking to build your computer? If you are then AMD is most likely the way to go. You will save money buying an AMD chip and then you can use the money you save to spend more money on a newer graphics card and thus your games are going to look that much better. If you aren’t going to play a ton of games and will do more work with your computer then I would say hands down go with Intel. You can buy an i5 chip for a similar price to the Phenom II X4 and they perform a little better than the Phenom too. Now if you are just buying one from Dell or Gateway I would go with Intel unless the price difference is substantial with going AMD however last I checked it’s not a major change in price.
What do I use now?

I owned a Phenom II X4 for a few months before the heatsink gave out and it burnt out. When that happened I decided it was time to upgrade to an Intel system. The reason I didn’t earlier is because the newer AMD chips use the same motherboard socket so you can upgrade without buying a new mother board and save some money. With Intel I would have to buy a new motherboard which then requires a new type of memory so it would cost me much more money to upgrade. Anyway since my computer died on me and I wasn’t positive if it was just the processor or if it was more than that I decided to just upgrade to an Intel i5 system. It was not like night and day between the 2 systems however I do notice a pretty good difference between the i5 and Phenom II series of chips. Programs open faster and their is much less hang time between doing multiple things. For me Intel just works out better for me, most of my gaming is done on my[b] PS3[/b] so I don’t even have the “greatest” graphics card anyway.

With the way technology evolves it’s always a good idea to do a little research before buying anything. Just google the processor you are looking at for benchmarks. This will usually give you a good idea as to which processor to get. In the end neither company is better than the other, they both have their own pros as well as their own cons.
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by Dokki: 1:45am On Mar 07, 2010
I predict AMD will be bought out soon and their chips used for other things apart from computers.

They just can't keep up with Intel sadly as competition is good for the consumer.

Check out the new Intel Nehalem processor - AMD has no answer for this.
From a presentation i attended with IBM, Intel is going to drop their latest 6 core processor in the next 2 months - YES THAT IS 6 PROCESSORS in ONE, simply AWESOME so soon your basic 2 cpu box will have 12 CPU's in it.

If AMD has any fight in them now is the time to counter - we shall see!

D

1 Like

Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by Nobody: 7:06am On Mar 07, 2010
kosovo:

When it comes to either building or buying a new computer one the things you have to decide on is what processor (cpu) will be controlling everything in your computer. You have the choice of either AMD or Intel and if you don’t know much about computers it may be hard to make a wise decision on which one to purchase. Lucky for you I have built computers that have used both AMD and Intel and I know a thing or two about computers as well.
What AMD Brings to the Table

AMD is known for being the company to go with when you are building a kick backside gaming computer. What AMD lacks in data crunching it makes up for in pure FPS which for a gamer is the only thing that matters. Almost every benchmark you look at for an AMD chip has that chip out performing a similar Intel chip when it comes to games. But maybe you don’t play games, does this mean that AMD is completely worthless to you? Absolutely not, AMD also has the cheapest processors, allowing you to get the most bang for your buck. At the time of this writing you can buy an AMD Phenom II X4 965 (the top of the line) for a penny under N24,000 do you want the top of the line Intel chip? Well you better be ready to drop around N100, 000 on just the processor alone. Not only that but the Phenom II processors can stand their own against Intel’s offering.

What else does AMD bring to the table? Their processors are able to operate at much more extreme temperatures while also staying cooler than Intels under normal use. The reason why this is good is because you can use liquid nitrogen to cool the AMD processor and it will run just fine where as the Intel does have a chance to break under such extreme temperatures.
What Intel Brings to the Table

Their processors are bar none, top of the line. If you want the best of the best you will have to go with Intel because all they offer is the best. Intel almost always comes out on top overall in benchmarks against AMD. Why is that? Probably because they updated their chip architecture, and are so innovative they are almost always one or two steps ahead of AMD. Right now the new Intel chips completely by pass the need for front side bus. Because of this you get a much much faster processor able to handle much more. You can also overclock the new Intel “i” series chips much easier because you can do it without even doing anything. The chips will automatically overclock when you need the extra power, this can in theory help out with games as well.
What is Right For You?

Are you a hardcore gamer looking to build your computer? If you are then AMD is most likely the way to go. You will save money buying an AMD chip and then you can use the money you save to spend more money on a newer graphics card and thus your games are going to look that much better. If you aren’t going to play a ton of games and will do more work with your computer then I would say hands down go with Intel. You can buy an i5 chip for a similar price to the Phenom II X4 and they perform a little better than the Phenom too. Now if you are just buying one from Dell or Gateway I would go with Intel unless the price difference is substantial with going AMD however last I checked it’s not a major change in price.
What do I use now?

I owned a Phenom II X4 for a few months before the heatsink gave out and it burnt out. When that happened I decided it was time to upgrade to an Intel system. The reason I didn’t earlier is because the newer AMD chips use the same motherboard socket so you can upgrade without buying a new mother board and save some money. With Intel I would have to buy a new motherboard which then requires a new type of memory so it would cost me much more money to upgrade. Anyway since my computer died on me and I wasn’t positive if it was just the processor or if it was more than that I decided to just upgrade to an Intel i5 system. It was not like night and day between the 2 systems however I do notice a pretty good difference between the i5 and Phenom II series of chips. Programs open faster and their is much less hang time between doing multiple things. For me Intel just works out better for me, most of my gaming is done on my[b] PS3[/b] so I don’t even have the “greatest” graphics card anyway.

With the way technology evolves it’s always a good idea to do a little research before buying anything. Just google the processor you are looking at for benchmarks. This will usually give you a good idea as to which processor to get. In the end neither company is better than the other, they both have their own pros as well as their own cons.

kosovo, kindly post the original links to the article
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by dragnet: 4:05pm On Mar 07, 2010
oyb:

kosovo, kindly post the original links to the article
. .lol, u beat me to it cheesy
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:32pm On Mar 07, 2010
the more this debate goes on the more irrelevant it gets.
way i see it, not everyone wants to use a pc for high perfomance stuff so for people like that AMD is a nice alternative.

otherwise, i really dunno if this intel better by miles thing is the case. u neva can tell with all these sponsored pr posts on tech sites. whichever way, everyone has a niche. similar specs and a different processor can mean as much as a 30 grand difference in price ! hey a buyer knows what he wants!
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by kosovo(m): 4:53pm On Mar 07, 2010
@oyb
what do you mean?
i should dissect my brains and put it here?
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by puskin: 12:53am On Mar 08, 2010
@kosovo. . . . . . U mean to tell us that U sat down and analyzed the pros and cons of AMD and Intel processors. mMmmmmm. . . . . undecided undecided undecided
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by DualCore1: 9:34am On Mar 08, 2010
I have seen this very piece in 2 other places and none of them has a link back to the real author or any credits.
Its best we just make do with any knowledge we can get from the article while we rest assured this was written by a fellow bored geek out there.

This one wey no author dey for this thing, are you sure this isn't one of my works? I'll need to check my writeups to confirm, cuz the resemblance is striking!

Until otherwise proven, I am the author of this article!
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:52pm On Mar 08, 2010
ole!!!
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Mar 08, 2010
kosovo:

@oyb
what do you mean?

http://emotionalninja.net/amd-intel-processors/2091

dissection of kosovo cody's brain in progress

[img]http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/c26e86cafb71d64bff41262e4c431578?s=60&d=monsterid&r=R[/img]

kosovo cody -  author of the article

never knew he was a white boy  cheesy

kosovo the emotional ninja  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

the fact that there is no pretentious grammer in the article hs already given you away

it's really bad form to plagiarize articles from the internet  embarassed embarassed
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by DualCore1: 3:06pm On Mar 08, 2010
angry
cody
angry

C[/b]o[b]D[/b]y
in reverse
[b]DC

cool
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by DoubleN(m): 3:10pm On Mar 08, 2010
Dual Core:

I have seen this very piece in 2 other places and none of them has a link back to the real author or any credits.
Its best we just make do with any knowledge we can get from the article while we rest assured this was written by a fellow bored geek out there.

This one wey no author dey for this thing, are you sure this isn't one of my works? I'll need to check my writeups to confirm, cuz the resemblance is striking!

Until otherwise proven, I am the author of this article!

Court no far na! tongue
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Mar 08, 2010
Dual Core:

angry
cody
angry

C[/b]o[b]D[/b]y
in reverse
[b]DC

cool

dc micheal jackson - see as he done bleach cheesy cheesy
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by puskin: 5:00pm On Mar 08, 2010
kosovo. . . . .defend ur article nah!!!!!! HABA!! grin grin grin
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by victorazy(m): 6:03pm On Mar 08, 2010
hhhjjkk
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Mar 08, 2010
I
kosovo:

@oyb
what do you mean?
Quoted in case of incasity.

I always knew this Kosovo dude is dodgy.

I'm very much interested in whatever he has to say.
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by sulad82i(m): 6:41pm On Mar 08, 2010
U r so right. Lot of pple ask me to help them get a pc in 9ja and they always request for intel and nothing else. I sometimes think they don't really know the diff btw the processors but decided to go with what others are saying. At the end they end up paying more. I have AMD in my pc by the way.
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by flyuche(m): 7:14pm On Mar 08, 2010
where is KOSOVO? grin in Croatia grin
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by toosoon(m): 7:41pm On Mar 08, 2010
oyb:

http://emotionalninja.net/amd-intel-processors/2091

dissection of kosovo cody's brain in progress

[img]http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/c26e86cafb71d64bff41262e4c431578?s=60&d=monsterid&r=R[/img]

kosovo cody -  author of the article

never knew he was a white boy  cheesy

kosovo the emotional ninja  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

the fact that there is no pretentious grammer in the article hs already given you away

it's really bad form to plagiarize articles from the internet  embarassed embarassed

oh my God see as oyb wan drag elder 4 ground
Kosovo stay indoor neva appear until the issue dies down!!!
y am i still laughing n crying, chei oyb no go kill me ohhhhhhhh
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by efepro(m): 7:59pm On Mar 08, 2010
@oyb, i agree with u,but u should hav shown some kinda appreciation before asking 4 link, @kosovo, thanks 4 d info.i already had 30% knowledge of such article.,IMO,like oyb,there is need 4 a link or reference so that AMD\intel users can be fully convinced.
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by mrofficial(m): 8:06pm On Mar 08, 2010
2 words, "AMD sucks".
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by ElRazur: 8:39pm On Mar 08, 2010
Kosovo. It is proven and a proven fact. You are a cheat. Fact.

grin

I have a dual core and am upgrading to a quad core soon for my music pc. I am a fan of AMD, you get more bang for your money when it comes to personal computing.  smiley

AMD do not sucks. If anything, it is a very good platform.

For the record, the Intel v Amd have been done to death on the internet.

Nice one OYB

The slowpoke forgets that Google have other uses apart from it use as a search engine.

I remember my time in Uni, couple of idiots did the same. Needless to say, my university employs software that can tell where a text was taken from the net. It is very accurate too.

I have upgraded my signature.
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by DualCore1: 9:16pm On Mar 08, 2010
But seriously wetin be una problem.
Kosovo in no way stated he was the one who wrote this and I have strong doubts he posted this with the intention to give the impression that he wrote it.
In the first place I have a phobia for lenghty stuff so i dont really read long posts, i just scan through. When I went through this, i just took it like it was, a good article written by me or someone out there grin
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by ElRazur: 9:21pm On Mar 08, 2010
Dual Core:

Kosovo in no way stated he was the one who wrote this and I have strong doubts he posted this with the intention to give the impression that he wrote it.
In the first place I have a phobia for lenghty stuff so i dont really read long posts, i just scan through. When I went through this, i just took it like it was, a good article written by me or someone out there grin

You should come to the politics section to see his post. Then you will understand why some think he is a clown. grin

He stated clearly and gave the impression it was his handiwork [when it isn't]
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by dominique(f): 9:22pm On Mar 08, 2010
Kosovo why naa you really fall my hand o tongue
and to think you moderate politics where copying and pasting is the key word

Dual Core:

abegi, when oyb asked him for source. his reply . . .

kosovo:

@oyb
what do you mean?

kapish?
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by DualCore1: 9:23pm On Mar 08, 2010
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

arghhhhhhhhhh NL is playing partia

ElRazur:

Kosovo. It is proven and a proven fact. You are an !mbecile. Fact.

grin

I have a dual core
Sharrap u dont have me, 1d10t, thunda faya yhu!  angry angry

I kid  grin grin

Calling Kosovo an **censored** is strong and unfair though  undecided
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by DualCore1: 9:25pm On Mar 08, 2010
Ok, so as its stands now, it is clear Kosovo didn't write this. what isn;t clear now is whether I (DC) or Cody wrote this. I still hold the claim sey na me write am. Anybody challenges this and we going to court.
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Mar 08, 2010
Dual Core:

his original post has far too much 'I' inside it  - and when queried he asked about dissecting his brain

and to be honest, imho, he sometimes does the same in the games section.

it does not take anything from you to post the original links

he did not even bother to put his original post in quotes.

see as he has given el razur ammunition - i dey fear oh el razur must be stalking kosovo through nl small time kosovo fan club go fall in . . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by DualCore1: 9:28pm On Mar 08, 2010
Kosovo, you will need a good lawyer!
**hands kosovo his business card**
DC, Sons & Brothers Chambers
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by ElRazur: 9:31pm On Mar 08, 2010
Dual Core:

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

arghhhhhhhhhh NL is playing partia

Sharrap u dont have me, 1d10t, thunda faya yhu!  angry angry

I kid  grin grin

Calling Kosovo an **censored** is strong and unfair though  undecided

Pfft. I have an Atom based samsung net book, a Toshiba dual core lap top and a dual core amd based pc. So yeah no biggie. wink

Oga, just come and hang in politics. Here are a few evidences:

Read his post here and the replies that followed.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-409600.0.html

Here is another one from the music section
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-206534.0.html

Read what he wrote and how people think he is a clown.

And this is him been normal.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-409216.0.html

I rest my case. grin
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by ElRazur: 9:33pm On Mar 08, 2010
oyb:

see as he has given el razur ammunition - i dey fear oh el razur must be stalking kosovo through nl small time kosovo fan club go fall in . . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

He is a clown and a faker. Two things I really do not like.

No need to stalk him, he is doing a good job of showing himself up. grin
Re: AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? by DualCore1: 9:41pm On Mar 08, 2010
Kosovo, my Chambers dey wait ya call  angry
Don't speak until you see ya lawyer.

I will have to charge you triple cuz I am just seeing some wicked evidence (that i didnt see in my haste)

kosovo:

@oyb
what do you mean?
Only a good liar, sorry lawyer like me can get you outta this with little blood lost.

Fellows, my potential client will address you all shortly.
Barrister DC (SAN, MON, NL MOD, BAD-BOY)  grin

(1) (2)

Hp Elitebook 840 G6 Corei7 8thgen Business Laptop / Mtn Nigeria Network Problems Resolved / Learn How To Change Your IP Address To USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.