Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

SLEEP PARALYSIS:A Commonly Misunderstood Occurrence - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / SLEEP PARALYSIS:A Commonly Misunderstood Occurrence (652 Views)

My Experience With Sleep Paralysis / Sleep Paralysis: Is It Natural Or Spiritual? / Share Your Sleep Paralysis Experience Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SLEEP PARALYSIS:A Commonly Misunderstood Occurrence by kizolala(m): 12:25am On Oct 01, 2017
In Nigeria and Africa as a whole, we recognize and acknowledge the existence of supernatural forces around us. Many of us have experienced a weird scenario which usually occurs at night where we are conscious but unable to move our limbs or even speak temporarily. This scenario is usually attributed to unseen 'agents of darkness' who try to press/choke the affected person even to death forcing him/her to start praying or panicking.
However this scenario is actually known as Sleep Paralysis.

What Is Sleep Paralysis?

Sleep paralysis is a feeling of being conscious but unable to move. It occurs when a person passes between stages of wakefulness and sleep. During these transitions, you may be unable to move or speak for a few seconds up to a few minutes. Some people may also feel pressure or a sense of choking. It could result from; Lack of sleep, Sleep schedule that changes, Sleeping on our backs, Stress, Other sleep problems such as narcolepsy or night leg cramps, Use of certain medications (e.g. Amphetamine) and Substance abuse.

What Can I Do About Sleep Paralysis?

There's no need to fear night demons. If you have occasional sleep paralysis, you can take steps at home to control this disorder. Start by making sure you get enough sleep. Do what you can to relieve stress in your life especially just before bedtime. Try new sleeping positions if you sleep on your back. And be sure to see your doctor if sleep paralysis routinely prevents you from getting a good night's sleep.

Be informed.
Be reformed.
Re: SLEEP PARALYSIS:A Commonly Misunderstood Occurrence by yarimo(m): 1:33am On Oct 01, 2017
Thank you for this useful information, any time I experience sleep paralysis I usually thought my village people just open my case grin
kizolala:
In Nigeria and Africa as a whole, we recognize and acknowledge the existence of supernatural forces around us. Many of us have experienced a weird scenario which usually occurs at night where we are conscious but unable to move our limbs or even speak temporarily. This scenario is usually attributed to unseen 'agents of darkness' who try to press/choke the affected person even to death forcing him/her to start praying or panicking.
However this scenario is actually known as Sleep Paralysis.

What Is Sleep Paralysis?

Sleep paralysis is a feeling of being conscious but unable to move. It occurs when a person passes between stages of wakefulness and sleep. During these transitions, you may be unable to move or speak for a few seconds up to a few minutes. Some people may also feel pressure or a sense of choking. It could result from; Lack of sleep, Sleep schedule that changes, Sleeping on our backs, Stress, Other sleep problems such as narcolepsy or night leg cramps, Use of certain medications (e.g. Amphetamine) and Substance abuse.

What Can I Do About Sleep Paralysis?

There's no need to fear night demons. If you have occasional sleep paralysis, you can take steps at home to control this disorder. Start by making sure you get enough sleep. Do what you can to relieve stress in your life especially just before bedtime. Try new sleeping positions if you sleep on your back. And be sure to see your doctor if sleep paralysis routinely prevents you from getting a good night's sleep.

Be informed.
Be reformed.

Re: SLEEP PARALYSIS:A Commonly Misunderstood Occurrence by RSVP: 1:51am On Oct 01, 2017
So I'm not alone...

Hallelujah!
Re: SLEEP PARALYSIS:A Commonly Misunderstood Occurrence by ultron12345: 7:19am On Oct 01, 2017
When this occurs, Nigerians will think their village people are tying them down.
Re: SLEEP PARALYSIS:A Commonly Misunderstood Occurrence by kizolala(m): 10:36am On Oct 01, 2017
I discovered that many People experience this including myself. Sometimes we even try to shout sef.
Ignorance is really a disease.
Re: SLEEP PARALYSIS:A Commonly Misunderstood Occurrence by kizolala(m): 11:05pm On Nov 24, 2018
Ignorance bad oh. No be everything be village people

(1) (Reply)

Health Benefits Of Vegetables / Why You Should Drink Your Own Urine. / Is It Not Too Late For My 6 Months Pregnant Wife To Start Ante-natal?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.