Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:53 AM

NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng (18801 Views)

ASUU Strike: FG Announces 23.5% Salary Increment For Lecturers / Nigerian Couple Bag Phds In Mathematics / Is Marking Scheme Necessary For Lecturers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by Nobody: 3:15am On Oct 03, 2017
The National Universities Commission (NUC) has adopted pedagogical training as an alternative to postgraduate diploma in education (PGDE) for academics with PhDs.

Director of Research, Innovation and Information Technology in NUC, Suleiman Ramon-Yusuf, who made the above disclosure in Abuja at the end of a weeklong training for lecturers on pedagogical skills, jointly organised by NUC and Nile University in collaboration with University of Sussex in the United Kingdom, said NUC does not believe university professors needed to acquire PGDE to be good lecturers, adding that though some opinion leaders have tried to force PGDE on the Nigerian University System (NUS), NUC has adopted Pedagogical training as an alternative route to PGDE.

He said “We are proposing that yes it is important to have pedagogical training but it does not have to be at the level of the PGDE because they are different ways, such as what we are doing now, to approach this training in modular format so that there is continuous improvement in the competencies of our lecturers.’’

“Now, this course which we have organised as NUC in collaboration with the University of Sussex is part of a long process through which we hope to incrementally improve the standard of teaching and learning in Nigeria.’’

“At NUC we believe that the modular approach to faculty development through pedagogical training is a more realistic approach given the fact that many academics have resisted suggestion that they needed to acquire the PGDE to be considered as effective lecturers,” he said.

The NUC director further maintained that over 80 lecturers took part in the weeklong course, adding that the training was one of the series of steps taken by the commission to ensure that over time; more Nigerian lectures are exposed to the modern method of teaching in line with global best practices.

Also speaking, the University of Sussex Director of International Recruitment and Development, Prof Richard Follet, described the training as absolutely astounding by the quality of participants who engaged in everything that was done.

Follet said the training was a new venture between University of Sussex and NUC, working with different universities, adding that in the past, the research centre at the University Of Sussex Centre Of International Education historically carried out a lot of research in Nigeria and sub-Saharan Africa.

“We were encouraged by the NUC to share some of the pedagogy and practice that we use, what we have also enjoyed from the session is that we’ve had the pedagogy and practice from the Nigerian lecturers shared with us.

“So we go home knowing a lot more about higher education in Nigeria and ideas about how we can teach and we hope that we’ve also shared the same with colleagues who we participated in the course,” he said.

One of the participants, Prof Denis Aribodo, a professor of Public Health Parasitological, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, expressed confidence that Nigerian lecturers who have been doing very well, will do better with this new method.

Aribodo said when fully applied, the pedagogical skills learned at the training will not only make Nigerian lecturers better, but also benefit Nigerian students and make them better graduates, which will translate to a better Nigerian society.

Another participant, Dr Musa Bawa, from Ibrahim Babangida University, Lapai, described the pedagogical method learned at the training as a very good one as it is a modern approach.

Bawa noted that the traditional approach was teacher-centred where the teacher dominates the class, does most of the things, leaving out the students, but here the students are guided through to discover the facts themselves.

Report a problem

https://dailytimes.ng/headlines/nuc-scraps-pgde-training-lecturers-phds/amp/
Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by Damoxy(m): 3:21am On Oct 03, 2017
Scrap Buhari too

4 Likes

Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by LordIsaac(m): 6:28am On Oct 03, 2017
Tor
Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by Akinz0126(m): 7:55am On Oct 03, 2017
Those two guys above me thou contunu you just denied me my first ftc.

Back to the topic it's a welcome development good for our educational system
Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by qej25574loaoa: 7:55am On Oct 03, 2017
good grin

Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by UncleSnr(m): 7:56am On Oct 03, 2017

Someone should explain to 80% of others like me who don't understand,

1 Like

Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by stevenson007: 7:56am On Oct 03, 2017
grin grin grin
Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by Estiara(f): 7:57am On Oct 03, 2017
This right here ➡️ "to ensure that over time; more Nigerian lecturers are exposed to the modern method of teaching in line with global best practices." is a step forward in pedagogical advancement in Nigeria!

Acquisition of a PGDE by an academic does not imply that he/she will be effective in teaching. Everyone who passed through any public tertiary institution in Nigeria can attest to the fact that our teaching methodology over the years has been faulty, therefore consistent trainings of our educators is indeed a welcome development. However, PGDE for PhD holders shouldn't be scrapped.

5 Likes

Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by sylviaeo(f): 7:58am On Oct 03, 2017
I don't understand all that is written here but let me acquire space for future use wink wink wink wink wink
Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by ivolt: 7:58am On Oct 03, 2017
Having a knowledge in a particular field does not mean the person
can teach others effectively.
Graduates of Nigerian tertiary institutions can attest to this

NUC should stop lowering the bar for our lecturers.

4 Likes

Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 03, 2017
Damoxy:
Scrap Buhari too

GO and organize for 2019....instead of sitting down infront of computer chatting.

GO on....join a party and start making plans.

APC is not going to be thrown out from yer PC.....

4 Likes

Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by AburoBuhari: 8:00am On Oct 03, 2017
An electrical electronics professor that cannot fix an electrical socket is that one a professor,most are just occupying space and wasting scarce resources

*AburoBuhari*

2 Likes

Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by Nobody: 8:01am On Oct 03, 2017
I don't think this is a good idea.

Lecturers, even those with PhD and tons of papers and research still need to learn the art of teaching...and i think a PGDE does the trick.

AH well....

1 Like

Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by hirekiller1: 8:02am On Oct 03, 2017
Good
Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by Desammyst(m): 8:04am On Oct 03, 2017
Ok
Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by Jeezuzpick(m): 8:11am On Oct 03, 2017
PGDE (Postgraduate Diploma in Education) was meant to help lecturers be better at teaching.

I hope NUC know what they're doing here.

2 Likes

Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by mrvitalis(m): 8:12am On Oct 03, 2017
AburoBuhari:
An electrical electronics professor that cannot fix an electrical socket is that one a professor,most are just occupying space and wasting scarce resources

*AburoBuhari*
If you actually know the meaning of engineer you won't say such

Educate your self find the difference between and engineer and technician Google is free

4 Likes

Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by OlujobaSamuel: 8:18am On Oct 03, 2017
mrvitalis:

If you actually know the meaning of engineer you won't say such

Educate your self find the difference between and engineer and technician Google is free
hummmmmmmm, just because they design should not be an excuse not to do basic technical part.
Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by Iyajelili(f): 8:22am On Oct 03, 2017
Wait let me read first
Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by mrvitalis(m): 8:24am On Oct 03, 2017
OlujobaSamuel:

hummmmmmmm, just because they design should not be an excuse not to do basic technical part.
Functions of an engineer do not include repair get that ....he can chose to learn that if he feels but it's never the job of an engineer

A doctor might learn the job of a lab scientist but that's not his Area

3 Likes

Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by Estiara(f): 8:27am On Oct 03, 2017
ivolt:
Having a knowledge in a particular field does not mean the person
can teach others effectively.
Graduates of Nigerian tertiary institutions can attest to this

NUC should stop lowering the bar for our lecturers.

I do agree with you, but have you not observed that even some who have obtained PGDE struggle with an adaptable teaching methodology to ensure we're in line with global standard?
I think we should view the trainings in good light. However, PGDE should still be considered as a prerequisite for teaching in our tertiary institutions.
Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by OlujobaSamuel: 8:35am On Oct 03, 2017
mrvitalis:

Functions of an engineer do not include repair get that ....he can chose to learn that if he feels but it's never the job of an engineer

A doctor might learn the job of a lab scientist but that's not his Area
*Engineers are people who invent, design, analyse, build and test machines, systems, structures and materials to fulfil objectives and requirements while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, regulation, safety, and cost.*
how do they test if they cant do the basic technical parts of the ones they use daily.

2 Likes

Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by khristal87(m): 8:39am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

Lecturers, even those with PhD and tons of papers and research still need to learn the art of teaching...and i think a PGDE does the trick.

AH well....
Is dt hw it s done in other countries?
Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by khristal87(m): 8:42am On Oct 03, 2017
Jeezuzpick:
PGDE (Postgraduate Diploma in Education) was meant to help lecturers be better at teaching.

I hope NUC know what they're doing here.
Wrong
PGDE is meant fr those without B.Ed. who wnt to teach esp. Primary n secondary schools.....

1 Like

Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by khristal87(m): 8:46am On Oct 03, 2017
Estiara:

I do agree with you, but have you not observed that even some who have obtained PGDE struggle with an adaptable teaching methodology to ensure we're in line with global standard?
I think we should view the trainings in good light. However, PGDE should still be considered as a prerequisite for teaching in our tertiary institutions.
PGDE is neva a pre-requisite fr lecturing n it ll nt b in dis country....even NUC knws it cnt work, dts y dey re coming up with something else...
Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by HottestFire: 8:57am On Oct 03, 2017

Sometimes I wonder is education all about degrees and certificates...

Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by Lilimax(f): 8:58am On Oct 03, 2017
JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!!! smiley
Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by bigpicture001: 9:12am On Oct 03, 2017
that's bullshit..the PhD lecturer myt b intelligent but does not know how to impart knowledge...at last Dr obi ezekwesili's education teaching policy has been disrupted by this foolish APC govt....good for Nutin govt

1 Like

Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by pedrilo: 9:14am On Oct 03, 2017
As an educationist, this is an affront and attempt to undermine education as a discipline by NUC officials who in themselves are unprofessional teachers. The faculty of education is known as the mother of other faculties in a university and NUC can not change that.
What they shud have done is to send education lecturers abroad to learn modern teaching and learning techniques and have them cascade same via the PGDE programme. Sound learning psychology can not be acquired in a week.
"Education is vocational for educators"
Maybe NUC should bring doctors from UK to teach our pharmacists how to do a doctor's work in a week, since buhari don't have confidence in our medical doctors

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by Nukilia: 9:19am On Oct 03, 2017
9jakohai:

AH well....

grin grin grin
This is interesting! The art of teaching what? There was a thread on education where the op was asking about our first class guys and professors. https://www.nairaland.com/4090508/where-first-class-graduates-professors

Our curriculum is faulty, and no matter the amount of PGDE we will continue to churn out garbage grin

When last did you see adverts in the newspapers for the following disciplines:
1. Biochemistry
2. Physics
3. Sociology
4. Microbiology
5. Zoology
6. Astronomy
7. Architecture
8. Chemistry
E.t.c
All these disciplines and others which are not listed here have churned out graduates who are smart crammers, aced all their courses in the university but cannot do something good with what they've learnt.

The knowledge I believe was passed by the lecturers and most of the students demonstrated their understanding by coming out with good grades. Where I believe we need to improve on is: making sure students in their 3rd and 4th year are grouped into different teams, encouraged to register a business with respect to their discipline, and the government should support them as SMEs while the lecturers in the various universities position themselves to provide intellectual and moral support for these students.

The idea of publishing articles to some foreign overseas journal for recognition is good, but it hasnt translated to something meaningful in our country. I believe recognizing patents will be the right way to go.

Scraping of the compulsory NYSC will also be a good step so that the young teams will gradually build businesses that will employ young men and women who are roaming our streets.

"Not until the country change the model we're currently running, we'll continue to churn out youths who have accumulated lots of degrees and certifications but unemployed"

grin grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng by pedrilo: 9:23am On Oct 03, 2017
khristal87:

Wrong
PGDE is meant fr those without B.Ed. who wnt to teach esp. Primary n secondary schools.....
the person u quoted is correct

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lecturer Flogs Accounting Student Of MAPOLY, Ogun State - Pictures / Kpmg Aptitude Test 2017 / Jim Ovia Foundation Scholarship Program.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.