Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,120 members, 7,807,388 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:00 PM

South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls (1934 Views)

Falae: Yoruba Leaders Threaten Secession From Nigeria If… / South East And South South Leaders Meet To Determine Faith In One Nigeria. / PDP Conspiring With Reps To Impeach GEJ - S’South Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by kenflavor(m): 3:56pm On Dec 20, 2005
Leaders of the three geopolitical zones in the South rose from a one-day meeting in Enugu, Enugu State, on Monday, issuing a threat to boycott the 2007 general elections if northerners insisted on the return of power to their region.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/headline/f120122005.html

With the fact that the North has produced people who managed the affairs of Nigerian nation for a good 35 years, while the regions like South-South has never produced a single President and South East only lead the country for less than a year. I feel I really agree with the resolution of the Leaders at the Forum, that is either the South-South or the South East produces the next President in 2007.

Nairalanders what are your views. Do you think is proper for the South to retain the power for the next 8 years after Obasanjo (who is also from the Southern Nigeria) must have finished his 8 years tenure?
Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by Renegade(m): 7:56am On Dec 21, 2005
If these three zones stay together till the end, we'll have a president from the south-south or south-east. The north will have no choice but to provide the vice president. HOWEVER, IF ONE OF THESE SOUTHERN ZONES BACK OUT, ESPECIALLY THE SOUTH WEST, IT'LL BE POLITICAL SUICIDE FOR THE OTHER TWO ZONES TO CONTINUE WITH THE BOYCOTT.

I don't think the north will wait for another 8 years, they can still manage to wait for 4 more years.
Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by Seun(m): 2:49pm On Dec 21, 2005
These people are not my leaders. As a yoruba youth, my decision to vote does not depend on what some corrupt "South Leaders" are threatening. Just because they are Yoruba and I am Yoruba doesn't mean they can make a decision for me on whether I want to vote or not.

Why can't these so-called leaders ask us what we want want before going out to make decisions for us? angry
Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by pharrod(m): 11:48pm On Dec 21, 2005
Seun ,what do you want? tell us
Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by Seun(m): 2:31am On Dec 22, 2005
I want a peaceful, business-friendly climate so I can maintain my websites without stress. I want a legal system that works efficiently and is fair to individuals and can be used to get back at fraudsters. I want anything that will make our people to concentrate on building things will make our country stronger and greater.

1 Like

Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by Ojukwursg(m): 7:17pm On Jan 03, 2006
I think the position articulated by the Southern leaders of thought are in line with the aspiration of every enlighten Nigerian, who do not see the world through coloured lens. I say kudos to these people who stick out their political necks (with possiblity of losing their freedom through EFCC action) to say the truth in an untainted nature. Kudos to bold moves!!!
Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by ijebuman(m): 8:01pm On Jan 03, 2006
Here we go again, this whole rotational thing is just going to saddle us with bad leaders. Thats why we ended up with Obj again, and with all the noise people are making now don't be surprised if a compromise is made between the south and the north for Obj to carry on for another term 'in the interest of peace and stability' rolleyes

Let all interested Nigerians contest and let the best Nigerian candidate win.
Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by IB7(f): 8:46pm On Jan 03, 2006
Boycotting the 2007 election is the right thing to do if there won't be any killings and violent riots.  The south-south HAVE to produce the next president of Nigeria.
Again, it's just my point of view...  nigeria gets her #1 revenue from the natural "oil" the south-south/delta produces each year.  Just for courtesy purpose and bcuz we are one nigeria, I agreed that the next president has to come from the south-south.  It is not only fair but it won't make it look at if the south-south is under oppression and power will be distributed evenly amongst the whole of nigeria

If the north doesn't want to compromise then I am all for dividing nigeria.  Let the south-south controls her natural resources and rules herself.

Regards,
IB
Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by ijebuman(m): 9:16pm On Jan 03, 2006
I.B.:

Boycotting the 2007 election is the right thing to do if there won't be any killings and violent riots. The south-south HAVE to produce the next president of Nigeria.
Again, it's just my point of view... nigeria gets her #1 revenue from the natural "oil" the south-south/delta produces each year. Just for courtesy purpose and bcuz we are one nigeria, I agreed that the next president has to come from the south-south. It is not only fair but it won't make it look at if the south-south is under oppression and power will be distributed evenly amongst the whole of nigeria

If the north doesn't want to compromise then I am all for dividing nigeria. Let the south-south controls her natural resources and rules herself.

Regards,
IB

And what happens when the oil runs out ? or do you think its an infinite resource

since you think the south south should produce the next president, please provide a list of qualified candidates and tell us what makes them qualified to be the next president.
Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by IB7(f): 9:33pm On Jan 03, 2006
[b]ijebuman, you know the natural resource in question has been there for ages.  Your question about "what happens next when the oil runs out," I believe should be directed to your present Federal Government of Nigeria.  They sure don't mind allocating small changes to the producing states and yet they sell tons of barrels of oil everyday.  I don't mind only if and only the power is distributed evenly amongst all groups of people in Nigera.

You know I can't provide you list of candidates and thx a bunch for putting me on the spot.  The right candidates are all over the south-south.   Basically, my point is electing someone {if given the chance to run for president} from south-south.  This is not the first time the south-south has to struggle for the presidency.

With regards, your statement for me to provide list of qualified candidates is absurd.   You gotta give the folks the chance to voice their opinions in nigeria.  The current government is not doing so.   In America, candidates are everywhere just like in the south-south but the only difference is:  In America, candidates are given the freedom and opportunity unlike Nigeria, the president and the north does not even want to hear someone from the south-south becoming the president.  Nigeria belongs to all of us not just the hausa or yoruba.

Regards,
IB[/b]
Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by ijebuman(m): 2:10am On Jan 04, 2006
@@IB
I didn't mean to put you on the spot  smiley

my issue is this, who would you prefer, a good leader from any part of the country or anybody from the south south ? I'm not saying there are no good south south candidates but the issue is, they should run, not based on the fact that they are from the south south but on the basis that they are Nigerians.

You seem to assume that if the south south gets the presidency then all the issues in the Niger delta will be resolved. Well you can ask the Yorubas what they think of Obj and if he has made any difference in the south west. Do you think Obj was the best candidate from the south west ? he was a compromise candidate (the only Yoruba the 'north' trusted) There were more qualified people who will have made a big difference to the country if they were given the opportunity.

The presidency of Nigeria does not belong to any part of the country and no part of the country should dictate who the president should be. We should support the most qualified candidate whether he is from the east, west, south or north.
Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by Chxta(m): 7:33am On Jan 04, 2006
kenflavor:

Leaders of the three geopolitical zones in the South rose from a one-day meeting in Enugu, Enugu State, on Monday, issuing a threat to boycott the 2007 general elections if northerners insisted on the return of power to their region.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/headline/f120122005.html

With the fact that the North has produced people who managed the affairs of Nigerian nation for a good 35 years, while the regions like South-South has never produced a single President and South East only lead the country for less than a year. I feel I really agree with the resolution of the Leaders at the Forum, that is either the South-South or the South East produces the next President in 2007.

Nairalanders what are your views. Do you think is proper for the South to retain the power for the next 8 years after Obasanjo (who is also from the Southern Nigeria) must have finished his 8 years tenure?

The so called leaders are just blowing hot air as is usual, nothing new.
Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by Ojukwursg(m): 11:02am On Jan 05, 2006
Hi all,

I suppose some of us do not understand the necessity of rotational presidency or zoning. I'll make an effort to clarify.

Without Zoniing and rotational presidency it will very difficult for some zones (or states) to every produce a president in a thousand year. The current ethnic and tribal affliation make voting a number game. According to data avaliable from last population census. the North has more population than the south. Election is Nigeria is a census of eligible voters in a geographical location. The location with the highest number therefore win.

Until Nigeria is mature enough to base election on credibility, and vision of aspirants, the position being canvassed by the South Leader remains the best alternative for peace in Nigeria.
Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by otokx(m): 1:09pm On Jan 05, 2006
am still watching
Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by ijebuman(m): 2:46pm On Jan 06, 2006
Ojukwu_rsg:

Hi all,

I suppose some of us do not understand the necessity of rotational presidency or zoning. I'll make an effort to clarify.

Without Zoniing and rotational presidency it will very difficult for some zones (or states) to every produce a president in a thousand year. The current ethnic and tribal affliation make voting a number game. According to data avaliable from last population census. the North has more population than the south. Election is Nigeria is a census of eligible voters in a geographical location. The location with the highest number therefore win.

Until Nigeria is mature enough to base election on credibility, and vision of aspirants, the position being canvassed by the South Leader remains the best alternative for peace in Nigeria.

We don't need zoning or rotational presidency, what we need is proper institutions to uphold the rule of law. The annulled june 12 election is an example of what can happen in Nigeria. Abiola won in a lot of northern states despite the fact he was a southerner. He had invested in these states so people knew who he was.

Most of our politicians are lazy and are not prepared to do the groundwork that will make them appeal to other Nigerians outside their own ethnic group.
A potential presidential aspirant from any part of the country should be able to at least speak the 3 major languages and understand the customs; the Yorubas for example are always impressed if a non Yoruba understands their language and customs and I am sure it’s the same for other ethnic groups. George Bush won most of the Hispanic vote in the US because he could speak Spanish. African Americans love Bill Clinton because he could connect with them at a certain level.

The whole rotational thing is just an excuse for political opportunists to use the platform of their ethnic group for their own personal agenda. If we had a true federal system where the states had more control over their own resources no one will be interested in the presidency.
Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by drbigdaddyg(m): 3:02pm On Jan 06, 2006
Well, I have been keeping my hands crossed but let me say this: I am still surprised people are against the rotational strategy, their reasons being for want of a capable man rather  than issuing out presidency to every geopolitical zone. I will ask this question: Since all our election of  our "capable men", what has been the positive achievements of this country?
At this juncture, let us stopping using "search of worthy men believed to only be found in North and West, as a platform for kindling our selfish desire to maintain our seat in Aso Rock. If we think south east and south south are not worthy to smell the Aso seat, I will let us know that these mentioned areas have been marginalised enough, any further attempt will bring serious ruin to this great and respected nation. Nobody is a slave in his house; everybody has equal right in his country.
Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by ijebuman(m): 4:04pm On Jan 06, 2006
drbigdaddyg:

Well, I have been keeping my hands crossed but let me say this: I am still surprised people are against the rotational strategy, their reasons being for want of a capable man rather  than issuing out presidency to every geopolitical zone. I will ask this question: Since all our election of  our "capable men", what has been the positive achievements of this country?
At this juncture, let us stopping using "search of worthy men believed to only be found in North and West, as a platform for kindling our selfish desire to maintain our seat in Aso Rock. If we think south east and south south are not worthy to smell the Aso seat, I will let us know that these mentioned areas have been marginalised enough, any further attempt will bring serious ruin to this great and respected nation. Nobody is a slave in his house; everybody has equal right in his country.

I don't think anyone is saying only the north and west have capable candidates. If you support the whole rotational/zoning strategy then please list the advantages apart from the tired excuse that other parts of the country 'have been marginalised'.
All ordinary Nigerians have been marginalised and are suffering. The north may have ruled the country for a longer time, but what have they got to show for it. Most of the beggars in Nigeria are from the north.
OBJ has been in power for almost 8 years yet Lagos is in a complete mess, most of the federal roads are not maintained, infact the Lagos - Abeokuta expressway, which is the major road to his otta farm is in the worst possible state you can imagine.

Let me outline the implications of Zoning and Rotational Presidency
Say we divide Nigeria into the following zones:
South south
South east
central/middle belt
North east
North west
Far North
South west

Considering each zone will want to have 2 terms of 4 years, south south has it for 8 years, then south east 8 years, then middle belt 8 years, thats 24 years before it gets to the North and possibly another 24 before it returns to the south again. Do the math. What that means is that for certain generations of Nigerians, its unlikely they will ever have a shot at becoming the president. How fair is that? Is this the sort of system we want to saddle future generations of Nigerians with.

You can imagine the scenario, Say I'm lucky enough to be in the zone to produce the next president, all i need to do is win the support of my ethnic compatriots and get them to 'nominate' me as their 'chosen' candidate. I don't need to appeal to other Nigerians, my qualifications are irrelevant since i'm the chosen one from my zone. Is that the sort of president we want for Nigeria?

Zoning and rotation does not address the main issue which will continue to cause problems in Nigeria regardless of where the president comes from.
I will support any presidential aspirant from any part of the country that supports equitable sharing of our resources. Let each state keep a large amount of their resources for their own development. For example the states of the Niger delta should keep a larger share of the oil revenue, Lagos should keep a large share of its tax/vat revenue. This approach will encourage other states to look for innovative ways of generating internal revenue rather than relying on the federal government.
Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by drbigdaddyg(m): 5:27pm On Jan 06, 2006
Well, you have made a point there.
I will point it out clearly that I never gave full consent to this rotational strategy until I found out that Nigeria is not a country where people's mind/votes counted. Excerpt: Who will boldly tell me that Obj won the 2003 election, when there were the likes of Buhari and Ojukwu who won majority of the votes obviously? So, Nigeria needs serious overhauling to emerge country whose elections are free and fair.  Until we have done the overhauling, we will have no other alternative than using the zoning atleast as a weapon in paralyzing those that use "power of incumbency" as an advantage in their selfish ambition.
Another question: who will tell me why everybody is afraid of Obj's third term agenda when we are sure he is not going to be given majority of  votes (if any) therefore should at least on normal cicumstances be defeated certainly. But, it is not so in Nigeria!!! At this juncture, Ijebu man, winning the support of my ethnic compatriots or even the whole country is not the function for being NIGERIAN president. What you do is to use some diplomatic weapons as a strategy to thwart their selfish plans. Or do you think all these great-evil godfathers, likes of IBB, can be outrun if he wants to sit in Aso Rock? He will easily climb up there: excerpt the emergence of Obj in 1999 through the help of IBB.
This problem can be settled if these condemned leaders will kindly give way to new ones. US gave 5 names of capable presidents, don't we think they (US) shouldn't be
ignored atleast as being our colonial masters who know our problems psychologically, economically, academically and almost in all wise.
Let's reason very well!!!
Re: South Leaders Threaten to Boycott 2007 Polls by TheSupleemLeada(m): 1:56am On Aug 10, 2021
Seun:
These people are not my leaders. As a yoruba youth, my decision to vote does not depend on what some corrupt "South Leaders" are threatening. Just because they are Yoruba and I am Yoruba doesn't mean they can make a decision for me on whether I want to vote or not.

Why can't these so-called leaders ask us what we want want before going out to make decisions for us? angry

grin grin

(1) (Reply)

The Owners Of Nigeria / Most Internationally Influential Nigerians / Pdp, Obanikoro: Fashola Must Resign Now !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.