Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,387 members, 7,808,367 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:03 AM

How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice (10293 Views)

Hiring;yhs Consulting To Resume Immediately! / Undertaking For 3 Month Notice Before Resignation / Why Must Employees Give A Month Notice Of Resignations But Companies Don't? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by nenergy(m): 6:34pm On Oct 03, 2017
Employers want you to give 1 month notice (or at least 2 weeks) before resigning, yet recruiters want you to resume immediately.

I think I lost a job with a top logistics (Top 5) firm because I ask for 2 weeks to disengage properly.

She ask; "How soon can you resume"? " Two weeks", I replied. She said; " I'll get back to you" and I've not heard from her since. Line isn't available whenever I call.

It will be unfair and unethical to desert my current role abruptly.

I'm really hurt. How do you reconcile this?

2 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by budymore18: 7:35pm On Oct 03, 2017
nenergy:
Employers want you to give 1 month notice (or at least 2 weeks) before resigning, yet recruiters want you to resume immediately.

I think I lost a job with a top logistics (Top 5) firm because I ask for 2 weeks to disengage properly.

She ask; "How soon can you resume"? " Two weeks", I replied. She said; " I'll get back to you" and I've not heard from her since. Line isn't available whenever I call.

Maybe I would start by saying you should still be hopeful and not jump into conclusion yet. A good and reasonable company would always allow one to disengage properly from your current employment before joining them.

I will give you my own testimony. I was interviewed for a role last week, got the offer the following day but I had already told them to give me 3weeks disengagement from my current company which the interviewer did acknowledge that I have to leave properly.

As at today, they asked me if I had started the process of resigning cause they can't wait to have me on-board.

So, maybe the company is not a perfect fit for you or give them some time. Keep all hope alive one one day you would have my kind of testimony.

38 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by ammyluv2002(f): 7:42pm On Oct 03, 2017
budymore18:

Maybe I would start by saying you should still be hopeful and not jump into conclusion yet. A good and reasonable company would always allow one to disengage properly from your current employment before joining them.

I will give you my own testimony. I was interviewed for a role last week, got the offer the following day but I had already told them to give me 3weeks disengagement from my current company which the interviewer did acknowledge that I have to leave properly.

As at today, they asked me if I had started the process of resigning cause they can't wait to have me on-board.

So, maybe the company is not a perfect fit for you or give them some time. Keep all hope alive one one day you would have my kind of testimony.

I totally agree with you! You're on point & congratulations on your new job.

13 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by budymore18: 9:26pm On Oct 03, 2017
ammyluv2002:

I totally agree with you! You're on point & congratulations on your new job.

Thanks for the complement, I appreciate. We are all going to celebrate and enjoy divine testimonies IJN. Amen!!!!

14 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by SWORD419(m): 7:24am On Oct 04, 2017
k
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by nony43(m): 7:25am On Oct 04, 2017
My friend don't lose hope yet

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by Finstar: 7:25am On Oct 04, 2017
Op, don't assume the worst. If you think keep reasoning in that angle, you'll end up attracting Your own doom.. Dwell on the positive, be expectant and it will come.. Energy goes where it is attracted, be it negative or positive.. Congrats on your new job.

4 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by DanielsParker(m): 7:25am On Oct 04, 2017
oh...no

they want to see how eager you're to start off..

'how soon can you start', in other words means you're somehow successful in the last interview.

don't mess up opportunities again, @op
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by joeaz58(m): 7:26am On Oct 04, 2017
ha!!!!!!!
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by sunbbo(m): 7:27am On Oct 04, 2017
It depends on the organization and you, if your current employer gives you an option of in lieu of notice which in most cases payment of one month basic salary. Then you can join the new company immediately.

Apply for The African Leaders of Tomorrow (ALT) Scholarship Program 2018 for Young African to Study in Canada

The African Leaders of Tomorrow (ALT) Scholarship Program commemorates the late Nelson Mandela’s commitment to social justice and equity. It supports young African professionals to become leaders in public policy and administration.

The ALT Scholarship Program grants full scholarships based on merit to women and men from sub-Saharan Africa to pursue a Master’s degree in public administration, public policy or public finances in Canada. Click here for an overview of the program.

THE ALT SCHOLARSHIP HAS TWO COMPONENTS:

1. An academic component in which the scholars will:

Complete a one to two years Master’s level program in public administration, public policy or public finance at a Canadian university

2. A professional development component in which the scholars will:

Put together a comprehensive professional development plan;
Develop a case study focusing on their home country;
Be mentored by a Canadian expert;
Participate in webinars and networking events

http://www.ngjobseekers.com/2017/09/13/african-leaders-tomorrow-alt-scholarship-program-2018-young-african-professionals-study-canada/

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by kodedbis(f): 7:28am On Oct 04, 2017
Check how to Make money in a legitimate way
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by emmie14: 7:33am On Oct 04, 2017
nenergy:

when do you want me to resume maa? Would have been your answer. That is total display of humility .

3 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by jossy26: 7:36am On Oct 04, 2017
If you still have your annual vacation, you can use that as in lieu if you asked to resume immediately or better still pay your one month salary as in lieu, you can always communicate with your former HR contacts to clear your outstanding so you don't have issues with your new employer and references

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by lonelydora: 7:38am On Oct 04, 2017
nenergy:

If you have any payoff you are expecting from your former place, i advise you give 1 month notice. Most coys use it as an excuse not to pay workers off.

But if you don't have payoff, just zoom off and resume immediately in your new place. At most, you pay back one month salary. Never tell your former enployer where you are headed to, they might blackmail you.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by greypencils: 7:40am On Oct 04, 2017
Its true some companies allow you to properly disengage...SOME DON'T. And they are well paying companies too. The way to go about this, is to as much as possible have some money in your account. Then you can pay a month salary or three months salary in lieu of notice, depending on what is stated in your appointment letter.

2 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by fk001(m): 7:41am On Oct 04, 2017
You are not at fault here.
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by mikaj(m): 7:45am On Oct 04, 2017
That moment when a new organization comes knocking with 3 times your current salary and incentives almost your current salary.

Ladies and Gents, Do not resign with immediate effect. It is your village people that is playing 9jabet with your brain.

PS: No loyalty when it comes to jumping ship.

2 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by Florblu(f): 7:45am On Oct 04, 2017
No good company will expect you to resume immediately provided they know you are working in a place before attending the interview.

Moreover the question"how soon can you resume" is a general question during interview which do not mean you will or will not be consider for the job. If you didn't get a response from them it might not be because you can't resume immediately except it was stated in the advert that they need someone who can resume immediately.

6 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by mikaj(m): 7:46am On Oct 04, 2017
Florblu:
No good company will expect you to resume immediately if they know you are working in a place before attending the interview.

Do a survey on that. You did be surprise.
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by Barywhyte(m): 7:47am On Oct 04, 2017
I only gave my employer one week to leave. My case is a bit different because my employment was not confirmed after the 6 months probation period. I worked for the next two years even getting promotion which I rejected. So when offer came last week, I just told them straightaway that I will leave on Tuesday. That was yesterday having helped them with replacement. Even though I'm not under any obligation to do that.

I just think this 1 month notice is skewed in favour of selfish employers who are sad when industrious employee decides to leave.

If your employment is confirmed after probation period and the one month notice clause is there, signed by you, you will have to be honourable or you beg your way out or forfeit one month salary.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by marjo: 7:47am On Oct 04, 2017
No serious organisation will truly expect you to start immediately. at certain levels of job authority /responsibility it would be expected that you need to clear your desk and tidy loose ends. next time ask when they want you to resume and if you can't, explain why. I personally am not impressed by the "I can resume immediately " response. I believe in leaving on a clean slate even if I don't work my full notice I will try to clear as much as I can and leave a comprehensive handover document. ironically the same organisation will now want to call your previous organisation for reference checks!

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by Iseoluwani: 7:48am On Oct 04, 2017
Maybe that job is not yours

Because disengaging without formal notice Z unethical n callous

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by henrycantona(m): 7:49am On Oct 04, 2017
meeeen see gobe don't worry I go employ you to work for my farm u can resume anytime you like
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by 1sylvesta: 7:51am On Oct 04, 2017
Story!!! Omo them no go call u o. Same thing happened to me during an interview. I told them to give me 2weeks to clear my desk & d recruiter asked huskly why I haven't resigned. This is 3 months counting now n still... move on biko

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by braine(m): 7:52am On Oct 04, 2017
Companies owe you no loyalty. You trying to be loyal to your current company is one of the biggest career mistake one can make. Your currently company doesn't care about you or owe you any loyalty despite whatever/howecer your manager or boss makes you feel.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by olojuede01: 7:53am On Oct 04, 2017
Was in a similar situation recently. Got an offer from one of the top two media companies in the world. They wanted me to resume the next week. Told the lady I need to give a months notice cause I would not want to leave projects hanging without proper handover. Fortunately for me, I also discussed it during my interview. She just asked when I wanted and changed the offer letter to the new date I chose. Play your cards well. Let the new company see that you are a valuable asset where you are coming from. They tend to respect you more.

3 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by nenergy(m): 7:55am On Oct 04, 2017
emmie14:
when do you want me to resume maa? Would have been your answer. That is total display of humility .
So I should answer question with another question? Typical Nigerian grin
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by nenergy(m): 7:56am On Oct 04, 2017
budymore18:

Interesting! Thanks for sharing. I'm relieved.
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by nenergy(m): 7:59am On Oct 04, 2017
braine:
Companies owe you no loyalty. You trying to be loyal to your current company is one of the biggest career mistake one can make. Your currently company doesn't care about you or owe you any loyalty despite whatever/howecer your manager or boss makes you feel.
It not just Loyalty but professionalism. You don't resigned anyhow...not all companies take it lightly. Some will freeze your account or ruin your future opportunities. Your best referee is your last employer, so resign honorably

2 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by nenergy(m): 7:59am On Oct 04, 2017
Iseoluwani:
Maybe that job is not yours
Because disengaging without formal notice Z unethical n callous
I agree!
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by nenergy(m): 8:02am On Oct 04, 2017
marjo:
No serious organisation will truly expect you to start immediately. at certain levels of job authority /responsibility it would be expected that you need to clear your desk and tidy loose ends. next time ask when they want you to resume and if you can't, explain why. I personally am not impressed by the "I can resume immediately " response. I believe in leaving on a clean slate even if I don't work my full notice I will try to clear as much as I can and leave a comprehensive handover document. ironically the same organisation will now want to call your previous organisation for reference checks!
Thank you! Its a dicey situation

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Skill To Learn As A Nursing Mother / Ipnx Nigeria Limited Graduate & Exp. Job Recruitment (19 Positions) / How To Get Into Investment Banking Without Finance Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.