Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,738 members, 7,806,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:17 AM

Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly (24489 Views)

ABU Prof Umar Muhammed Ka'oje Returns N1,153,953.36 NDA Wrongly Paid To Account / 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know / 7 World Famous Words That Originated In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by prodiG(m): 12:35pm On Oct 04, 2017

Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by narutop: 12:36pm On Oct 04, 2017
Senator / Sinator
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by qreem231(m): 12:38pm On Oct 04, 2017
Thanks so much for this op, most peeps are guilty of these mistakes especially the "I'm" and "am" one.

1 Like

Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by arabaribiti(m): 12:38pm On Oct 04, 2017
Axed and asked
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by xreal: 12:40pm On Oct 04, 2017
Determinism:
1. INQUIRE/ENQUIRE: Inquire (inquiry) is a formal inquest ie, by legal, formal institutions and boards and are often documented, while enquire (enquiry) is an informal act of questioning.

2. I'M/ AM: I'm is simply a contraction of "I am" ie, it means I am. Example: I'm washing the dishes.

On the other hand, "am" is on its own a first person present form of "be". Example: I really am sorry for your loss.

3. COMPLEMENT/ COMPLIMENT: Complement means "to complete". Example: He complemented the sweet taste with some added salt and spice.

Compliment means a remark, salutation and (but not limited to) flattery. Example: He complimented her beauty all night.

4. KNOW/ NO: Know means to have knowledge of; whilst "no" is simply the opposite of yes. Example: No, I don't know how to dance.

5. SOURCE/ SAUCE: Source is the origin of a thing, trend, phenomenon, etc. Sauce is often an added flavour to a dish/food.
Example: The source of modernity is Africa.
Example: He uses tomato sauce to consume bread.

6. CEASE/ SEIZE: To cease simply is to stop, while to seize is to confiscate, arrest or withhold.

Example: Pray without ceasing.
Example: Their results were seized by the examination body

NB: Seize should as well not be mistaken for "size"

7. INVISIBLE/ INVINCIBLE: Invisible means "not seen" (it has to do with vision), while invincible means powerful and/or untouchable.

Example: He wore an invisible cloak. It made him invincible against enemy attack.

8. REIGN/ RAIN: Reign means a period of domination, while rain refers to waterfall in drops from the sky (or a large quantity of something)

Example: During his reign, rain ceased to fall. Hence, drought and famine.

9. I (capitalized)/ i: I (when capitalized) is simply the first person perspective, while "i" is just the ninth letter of the English alphabet.

Example: I'm running late.

10. WONDER/ WANDER: Wonder means to be amazed, to wish to know, etc. Wander implies movement, to (mentally, physically or emotionally) move about.

Example: He wondered why the dog kept wandering up and about in the house. It made his mind wander—searching for answers.

11. THERE/ THEIR: There simply is a (physical or mental) location (of something), whilst their is a second/third person pronoun.

Example: Their house is right there.

12. SURLY/ SURELY: Surly infers terrible, ugly, arrogant, etc while surely means definite, positive, truthful, etc.

Example: The surly waitress will surely get little or no customer appraisal.

13. IT'S/ ITS: It's is a contraction of "it is", while its is a pronoun that expresses "belonging to".

Example: Its main property is that it's very coerce and tough, slow but stable.

NB: when in doubt of which to use, substitute with "it is" to see if it fits properly in such context. Same applies for "am" and "I'm".

14. YOUR/ YOU'RE: YOUR is a second person pronoun, while you're simply is "you are".

Example: Your dog chewed on the phone. You're therefore responsible for whatever replacement(s) must be made.

15. QUIET/QUITE: To be quiet is to be free of noise (or disturbance); quite means to a degree or extent of.

Example: The quiet reserved lad over there in suit is quite handsome as well.

Others include: LAUNCH/LUNCH, BREAK/ BRAKE

You can add yours

Let me add mine.

ADVICE/ADVISE

One na noun while the other na verb.
My teacher give me heavy slap the day him teach me, so I no remember which is noun or verb again.
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by Ajakayekoke(m): 12:42pm On Oct 04, 2017
Why didn't you include Lose&Loose,75%of nairalanders are very funny using loose as lose.

1 Like

Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by enemyofprogress: 12:42pm On Oct 04, 2017
Poo poo is oyinbo shiiiit while shiiiit is black man shiiiit
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by prodiG(m): 12:44pm On Oct 04, 2017
johnoasa:
na wah,,,, am guilty
AHA! Caught you red handed cheesy

1 Like

Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by dominique(f): 12:46pm On Oct 04, 2017
Being/been. Generally, Nigerians use of English is getting poorer by the day based on what I read on social media everyday. What could be the cause of this?

2 Likes

Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by dakeskese(m): 12:48pm On Oct 04, 2017
tosyne2much:
The only one I disagree with is "inquire and enquire"

Both words can be used interchangeably as they are both synonyms.

You forgot to add "Advice and Advise"

*Advice is a noun*

*Advise is a verb*

E.g I "advised" him but he chose to ignore my "advice"
Baba o!!! Nice one

1 Like

Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by Tolupage(m): 12:49pm On Oct 04, 2017
angry angry
freezyprinzy:
Op whats the sauce of this info?
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by IgedeBushBoy(m): 12:55pm On Oct 04, 2017
Roon9:

U no go learn now
Oga sabinus, tell me wetin I nefa hia b4
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by kodedbis(f): 12:56pm On Oct 04, 2017
English language is not by force
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by Neduzze5(m): 12:58pm On Oct 04, 2017
What/ Worth

My younger sister been use this one last time. She get luck say I dey in a good mood. The kind slap wey I for land am enh.

1 Like

Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by profmsboi(m): 12:59pm On Oct 04, 2017
Add this also:

Choose and Chose
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by freezyprinzy(m): 1:00pm On Oct 04, 2017
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by Divay22(f): 1:02pm On Oct 04, 2017
Further/ Farther
Where/were

1 Like

Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by tosyne2much(m): 1:04pm On Oct 04, 2017
dominique:
Being/been. Generally, Nigerians use of English is getting poorer by the day based on what I read on social media everyday. What could be the cause of this?
You're a very good observer..

That should even top the list
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by maisauki: 1:10pm On Oct 04, 2017
how can you help me in draftin speeches, gotta pay you handsomely...do d english, i'm for money
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by Olumideta(m): 1:13pm On Oct 04, 2017
This is a very good one, kudos to you guys.

1 Like

Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by donqx: 1:15pm On Oct 04, 2017
ok teacher
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by AnanseK(m): 1:23pm On Oct 04, 2017
Border - the boundary between two territories or circumstances. What comes close to - e.g. "Action of the sea patrol team confiscating goods and money borders on piracy."

Bother - to worry or to be concerned about something. e.g. "His inability to eat for days bothers me a lot".

1 Like

Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by Mediapace: 1:27pm On Oct 04, 2017
So we can say complement or compliment of the season and they might serve different purpose ?

Cc
Dominique
Tosyne2much
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by pocohantas(f): 1:28pm On Oct 04, 2017
tosyne2much:
The only one I disagree with is "inquire and enquire"

Both words can be used interchangeably as they are both synonyms.

You forgot to add "Advice and Advise"

*Advice is a noun*

*Advise is a verb*

E.g I "advised" him but he chose to ignore my "advice"

Perfect example from you. Been/being, there/their...
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by tosyne2much(m): 1:41pm On Oct 04, 2017
Mediapace:

So we can say complement or compliment of the season and they might serve different purpose ?

Cc
Domi'nique
Tosyn'e2much
Compliment is an expression of praise or encouragement. E.g compliment of the season

Complement simply means to complete or finish something. E.g The referee complemented the match with a final whistle

Shey you see the difference?
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by tosyne2much(m): 1:43pm On Oct 04, 2017
pocohantas:

Perfect example from you. Been/being, there/their...
God bless you jawe
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by Mediapace: 1:46pm On Oct 04, 2017
tosyne2much:
Compliment is an expression of praise or encouragement. E.g compliment of the season

Complement simply means to complete or finish something. E.g The referee complemented the match with a final whistle

Shey you see the difference?

Yea i gaarit but i mean :

Compliment of the season(Greeting as compliment i.e. compliment of the season)
Complement(completing 12 months i.e. complement of the season)
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by dominique(f): 1:55pm On Oct 04, 2017
Mediapace:

Cc
Domini.que
Tosyne2m.uch

It's Compliments of the season.
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by tosyne2much(m): 2:07pm On Oct 04, 2017
Mediapace:

Yea i gaarit but i mean :

Compliment of the season(Greeting as compliment i.e. compliment of the season)
Complement(completing 12 months i.e. complement of the season)
Yes it can also go that way cheesy
Re: Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly by Tellemall: 2:07pm On Oct 04, 2017
Determinism:
1. INQUIRE/ENQUIRE: Inquire (inquiry) is a formal inquest ie, by legal, formal institutions and boards and are often documented, while enquire (enquiry) is an informal act of questioning.

2. I'M/ AM: I'm is simply a contraction of "I am" ie, it means I am. Example: I'm washing the dishes.

On the other hand, "am" is on its own a first person present form of "be". Example: I really am sorry for your loss.

3. COMPLEMENT/ COMPLIMENT: Complement means "to complete". Example: He complemented the sweet taste with some added salt and spice.

Compliment means a remark, salutation and (but not limited to) flattery. Example: He complimented her beauty all night.

4. KNOW/ NO: Know means to have knowledge of; whilst "no" is simply the opposite of yes. Example: No, I don't know how to dance.

5. SOURCE/ SAUCE: Source is the origin of a thing, trend, phenomenon, etc. Sauce is often an added flavour to a dish/food.
Example: The source of modernity is Africa.
Example: He uses tomato sauce to consume bread.

6. CEASE/ SEIZE: To cease simply is to stop, while to seize is to confiscate, arrest or withhold.

Example: Pray without ceasing.
Example: Their results were seized by the examination body

NB: Seize should as well not be mistaken for "size"

7. INVISIBLE/ INVINCIBLE: Invisible means "not seen" (it has to do with vision), while invincible means powerful and/or untouchable.

Example: He wore an invisible cloak. It made him invincible against enemy attack.

8. REIGN/ RAIN: Reign means a period of domination, while rain refers to waterfall in drops from the sky (or a large quantity of something)

Example: During his reign, rain ceased to fall. Hence, drought and famine.

9. I (capitalized)/ i: I (when capitalized) is simply the first person perspective, while "i" is just the ninth letter of the English alphabet.

Example: I'm running late.

10. WONDER/ WANDER: Wonder means to be amazed, to wish to know, etc. Wander implies movement, to (mentally, physically or emotionally) move about.

Example: He wondered why the dog kept wandering up and about in the house. It made his mind wander—searching for answers.

11. THERE/ THEIR: There simply is a (physical or mental) location (of something), whilst their is a second/third person pronoun.

Example: Their house is right there.

12. SURLY/ SURELY: Surly infers terrible, ugly, arrogant, etc while surely means definite, positive, truthful, etc.

Example: The surly waitress will surely get little or no customer appraisal.

13. IT'S/ ITS: It's is a contraction of "it is", while its is a pronoun that expresses "belonging to".

Example: Its main property is that it's very coerce and tough, slow but stable.

NB: when in doubt of which to use, substitute with "it is" to see if it fits properly in such context. Same applies for "am" and "I'm".

14. YOUR/ YOU'RE: YOUR is a second person pronoun, while you're simply is "you are".

Example: Your dog chewed on the phone. You're therefore responsible for whatever replacement(s) must be made.

15. QUIET/QUITE: To be quiet is to be free of noise (or disturbance); quite means to a degree or extent of.

Example: The quiet reserved lad over there in suit is quite handsome as well.

Others include: LAUNCH/LUNCH, BREAK/ BRAKE

You can add yours

You forgot to add KNEE & KNEEL.

And KNEE & ELBOW.

CONSIGN & CONCERN.

Nigerians really need to communicate with the right words. The above are all very irritating.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Make money online with MMM / Apart From English, Which Language Is More Useful Globally? / Private Universities In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.